Ignore Button Questions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi,

I was just wondering if someone can please tell me how the ignore button functions?

If I choose to ignore someone, will it just ignore their individual posts, or will it also ignore any thread that they start themselves (regardless if someone else responds to that thread later)?

I'm torn between the idea of using the ignore button.

Personally - I love to have debates and discussions with Christians who have a different view of things than I do. It's how I get to see different perspectives, and challenge my own reasoning to learn where I am seeing things incorrectly.

However there's a few people here that I'm observing that appear to not be interested in discussions, or considering another point of view, that appear to lack humility and consider that they could ever be wrong - just want to preach their own view and argue instead of consider - with some of those going to the point of personal attacks.

I'm left being torn between whether or not I engage in love with these people even though they seem completely disinterested in listening to anyone else who may oppose them, or whether I treat them as swine, and not worry about spending my pearls (time and energy) on them when they appear to show no interest in listening to others and react accordingly.

My main question is regarding the finer details of how the ignore button works - however I'm open to comments regarding the concerns I have and if people think I'm doing the wrong thing by considering using this feature.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi,

I was just wondering if someone can please tell me how the ignore button functions?

If I choose to ignore someone, will it just ignore their individual posts, or will it also ignore any thread that they start themselves (regardless if someone else responds to that thread later)?

I'm torn between the idea of using the ignore button.

Personally - I love to have debates and discussions with Christians who have a different view of things than I do. It's how I get to see different perspectives, and challenge my own reasoning to learn where I am seeing things incorrectly.

However there's a few people here that I'm observing that appear to not be interested in discussions, or considering another point of view, that appear to lack humility and consider that they could ever be wrong - just want to preach their own view and argue instead of consider - with some of those going to the point of personal attacks.

I'm left being torn between whether or not I engage in love with these people even though they seem completely disinterested in listening to anyone else who may oppose them, or whether I treat them as swine, and not worry about spending my pearls (time and energy) on them when they appear to show no interest in listening to others and react accordingly.

My main question is regarding the finer details of how the ignore button works - however I'm open to comments regarding the concerns I have and if people think I'm doing the wrong thing by considering using this feature.

Hello there

First , be aware if you ignore someone , then change your mind , you can just as easily Unignore the person. When someone bothers me and I find I’m getting upset with their posts, I ignore then for about a month. I’ve never kept anyone on ignore permanently.

Give it a try. It makes the Site a nicer place haha!
You will see in a thread a notification , telling you that you can see this post if you want to.
So it’s your choice. :)

As for them starting threads ...I forget if you’ll see it or not ...but you will see the thread the moment someone else posts in a new thread .

Hope this helps

Reactions: Nancy and Scoot

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Scoot

Believe it or not ...but at the moment the Mods here have done a great job , and most of the angry , nasty people are either banned or on suspension...so you are seeing it “almost” at its best.
Sadly some good people have left over the last year ...I miss them . :oops:
Glad you are here .

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ignore feature is a good tool. I use it for two reasons. First because I know myself and tend to respond to people in kind which only causes issues. Second and more importantly, it let's me control the group of people I engage. I am not interested in changing people's view or having mine changed by someone else. I want to understand other people so that I can evaluate their view with Scripture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Scoot

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As an update for anyone who might be interested - I've given this a try. The threads that are created by people on my ignore list have disappeared. :)

Interesting. I wasn't sure of that. I thought maybe only the post they made would be missing..but the rest still there.

Nothing is written in stone, all is reversible at any time.
The ignore feature does make the Site very peaceful and nice. :)

Reactions: Scoot and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting. I wasn't sure of that. I thought maybe only the post they made would be missing..but the rest still there.

Nothing is written in stone, all is reversible at any time.
The ignore feature does make the Site very peaceful and nice. :)

That is what I thought too @Helen
I was under the impression that we can still see others reply's to those who we might have on ignore...hmm.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was under the impression that we can still see others reply's to those who we might have on ignore...hmm.

True. I didn't know that if an 'ignored person' starts a thread, we don't get to see the rest of the thread posts by others.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok....I have a confession. Before I used the "ignore button" I tried voodoo dolls....but they didn't work. :D

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

True. I didn't know that if an 'ignored person' starts a thread, we don't get to see the rest of the thread posts by others.

I wasn't expecting that as well - but there are some threads (started by some people that I don't see their being any fruit in engaging with) that I wanted to ignore. I was expecting that the threads would still show on my unread threads list because someone else responded to them - but they're not in my list at all.

Either all of a sudden those threads have gone quiet and it's coincidence, or - they're not showing because the author / starter of the thread is on my ignore list. Either way - it's already made this site much more manageable. If I find that's not the case - I'll respond back here and update - but for now - it's looking good. :)

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't expecting that as well - but there are some threads (started by some people that I don't see their being any fruit in engaging with) that I wanted to ignore. I was expecting that the threads would still show on my unread threads list because someone else responded to them - but they're not in my list at all.

Either all of a sudden those threads have gone quiet and it's coincidence, or - they're not showing because the author / starter of the thread is on my ignore list. Either way - it's already made this site much more manageable. If I find that's not the case - I'll respond back here and update - but for now - it's looking good. :)

Ah, go figure...technophobe here :D
Like Helen, I don't like to put folks on ignore but...for the sake of peace...I will at times but will also sometimes peek at what the ignored member said. And, have un-ignored after a while like Helen :)