Imagine a World with no Christians!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
let me tell you from someone who has personally studied the text of the Greek and Latin New Testament for over 35 years, that your "logic", is "illogical", and WRONG!

You studied it, but did not understand it. There's a difference.
You failed to mention the facts, meaning you have nothing but feelings, and facts don't care about your feelings.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find this a really strange post HIH, you yourself serve to give insights into the signs and times, so surely to tell someone else to ‘ just focus on living for the Lord before you get caught up into playing around with dates too much ‘ slightly, dare I say, hypocritical xx
You often use news reports and other info to tie in with your own predictions and interpretations…..that could, by some, be classed as equally playing around………
Just saying, not as a mod , but as a member here x
Rita

Hi Rita,

What I'm advising him against is playing with dates for the return of the Lord Jesus Christ. That's something I never do, and advise against very strongly.

God bless,
- H

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then can you present your "facts" here for all to see, like the textual evidence that says that Jerome is right against all the other evidence?

1 Corinthians 15:51 Parallel: Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

In 146 BC, Rome declared war on the Achaean League and, after victories over league forces in the summer of that year, the Romans under Lucius Mummius besieged and captured Corinth. When he entered the city, Mummius killed all the men and sold the women and children into slavery before burning the city, for which he was given the cognomen Achaicus as the conqueror of the Achaean League.[53] There is archeological evidence of some minimal habitation in the years afterwards, but Corinth remained largely deserted until Julius Caesar refounded the city as Colonia Laus Iulia Corinthiensis (‘colony of Corinth in honour of Julius’) in 44 BC, shortly before his assassination. At this time, an amphitheatre was built. (37.909824°N 22.892078°E )

Under the Romans, Corinth was rebuilt as a major city in Southern Greece or Achaia. It had a large[54] mixed population of Romans, Greeks, and Jews. The city was an important locus for activities of the imperial cult, and both Temple E[55] and the Julian Basilica[56] have been suggested as locations of imperial cult activity.

Why would Saint Paul send letters in Greek, when the rulers & majority of people were Roman?
Did he not have the gift of tongues?
Could he not speak any language he wanted?
Logic follows Saint Jerome was right in following the Latin.
He as a historian, and would have caught that error in the Greek, when comparing the two. So simple.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In 146 BC, Rome declared war on the Achaean League and, after victories over league forces in the summer of that year, the Romans under Lucius Mummius besieged and captured Corinth. When he entered the city, Mummius killed all the men and sold the women and children into slavery before burning the city, for which he was given the cognomen Achaicus as the conqueror of the Achaean League.[53] There is archeological evidence of some minimal habitation in the years afterwards, but Corinth remained largely deserted until Julius Caesar refounded the city as Colonia Laus Iulia Corinthiensis (‘colony of Corinth in honour of Julius’) in 44 BC, shortly before his assassination. At this time, an amphitheatre was built. (37.909824°N 22.892078°E )

Under the Romans, Corinth was rebuilt as a major city in Southern Greece or Achaia. It had a large[54] mixed population of Romans, Greeks, and Jews. The city was an important locus for activities of the imperial cult, and both Temple E[55] and the Julian Basilica[56] have been suggested as locations of imperial cult activity.

Why would Saint Paul send letters in Greek, when the rulers & majority of people were Roman?
Did he not have the gift of tongues?
Could he not speak any language he wanted?
Logic follow Saint Jerome was right in following the Latin.
He as a historian, and would have caught that error in the Greek, when comparing the two. So simple.

ok, I can see from your response, that you know nothing about textual studies. do you know any Greek and Latin? have you ever done any actual textual studies for yourself, using the Greek and Latin texts?

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, I can see from your response, that you know nothing about textual studies. do you know any Greek and Latin? have you ever done any actual textual studies for yourself, using the Greek and Latin texts?

Yep, the Greek word κοιμηθησόμεθα is not found in secular dictionaries, nor in the database of the University of Athens, it can only be found in Bible dictionaries.

I can translate the whole Latin Bible using secular dictionaries, that's the difference (side note).

Jerome went with logic. Latin text existed before him and that's the version he used.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the bloody sword looks out of place on a Christian forum?

Yeah, some people have a problem with that, but I'm not playing around. My previous avatar was once an angel with a sword in one hand and a severed head in the other, so the current one is a bit more tame by comparison.

Paul's analogy of the armor is one of war, and one is either shadow boxing or out to shed real blood in a spiritual sense. Though some may be uncomfortable with the rougher aspects of that subject matter, I'm very at home with it, so the avatar wouldn't communicate what I am trying to say unless it did have blood on it, and I believe we're coming into a time when it will be less and less out of place because the spiritual war is getting rougher now. At least it certainly is in my case. But in the meantime, I'm not waiting for the rest of the body of Christ to get caught up to speed, LoL.

God bless, and hope it doesn't offend you. That's just more "me" if you will.

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
comes from κοιμάομαι, which means "to fall asleep"

Your using a root word, not the whole word, and your changing the spelling, meaning you have no way of defining the word in it's totality.

The word is not found in any other text, written the way it is. Not even the University of Athens, much less you.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Whoa, one thing at a time, so what's your main point? No Rapture?
What many like to think is a 'rapture to heaven', is the prophecy in 1 Thessalonians 4:17, where it states we Christians will be raised up to Jesus.
But it clearly says Jesus has departed from heaven and we know He comes back to the earth then, to commence His Millennium reign. Revelation 20
Just a horizontal transportation, between 2 earthly locations. As Philip was, Acts 8:39 and Ezekiel 3:12-15.
As Matthew 24:30-31 clearly state: His faithful people are gathered from every place around the earth and brought to where Jesus is; initially in the atmosphere, then in Jerusalem. Where they will be His priests and co-rulers. Revelation 5:9-10

Jesus said:

1/ John 3:13 No one has gone up into heaven, except the One who came down from heaven, the Son of Man.
Jesus is talking about the things of heaven, truths that apply forever.

2/ Revelation 2-3 Those who are victorious over Satan and who persevere until the end, will receive the crown of Life.
They are the people seen in Revelation 6:9-14. On earth, as proved by the first 3 verses of Revelation 7.

3/ John 7:33-34…I am going away to Him who sent Me and where I go, you cannot come.
A plain statement that also applies forever.

4/ John 8:21-23 Again He said: Where I go, you cannot come. You belong to this world below, I to the world above….
Our home is the earth, we are earth people and not spirits and even after the Millennium, those worthy will become immortal, but will still remain on earth. Revelation 21:1-4

5/ John 17:15 I do not pray that You take My people out of this world, but to keep them from the evil one.
Jesus was talking to God and what He asked applies to all Christians. Remember: we pray for God’s Kingdom to come on earth as it is in heaven and it will, with the New Jerusalem.

6/ Revelation 5:10 You have made them priests for our God and they shall reign on earth.
This refers to every faithful Christian, people from every tribe, race, nation and language, they shall reign on earth. That is our destiny, we never go to heaven, only our souls sleep under the Altar, if we are martyred. Revelation 6:9-11
That they can cry out at times, does not mean they are alive.

All scripture is as Written in the Revised English Bible.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
comes from κοιμάομαι, which means "to fall asleep"
LOL...this is what we are dealing with!

Without wanting to sound offensive, does anyone have any idea what James Macbeth is on about? κοιμάω is very well attested in secular dictionaries, and its use is all over Classical Greek, the Papyri, the Septuagint, And the New Testament. The repeated use of that particular declension would be irrelevant. I've read through this thread a few times and I can't even make heads or tails of his argument. :confused: