Is apostolic succession biblical?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently Peter didnt understand the way you do, considering his reluctance to go to the Gentiles. Have you thought carefully about this, the nations Jesus is referring to, could this be something you don’t have knowledge of?

all nations, Jn 3:16 for So loved the world, universal, all
Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, all nations

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you don’t take scripture seriously?

Who ya talk'in to?

... and if it's in regards to the "perpetual virgin" nonsense, -- THEN QUOTE THE SCRIPTURE --, but please don't presume I'm so stupid as to fall for the hokem.

Silly gullible people ... believe EVERYTHING they're told.
Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls! ....

Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, Teachers -- all contribute to the strengthening of the Body.

You're getting so silly, I'm going to IGNORE you.

Matt. 10:12 As you enter the house, salute it. 13 And if the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it; but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And if any one will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet as you leave that house or town.

Bobby Jo

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
all nations, Jn 3:16 for So loved the world, universal, all
Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, all nations
1 Corinthians 1:17 KJV
[17] For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
Why would Paul say this?

did he not get the commission?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who ya talk'in to?

... and if it's in regards to the "perpetual virgin" nonsense, -- THEN QUOTE THE SCRIPTURE --, but please don't presume I'm so stupid as to fall for the hokem.

Silly gullible people ... believe EVERYTHING they're told.
Bobby Jo
She’s got me on ignore.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Peter, the apostles, and their successors have Care for our souls!

Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers,
At what stage do you say to your "spiritual fathers" you are no longer following Christ as your predecessors did, therefore I refuse to place my eternal destiny in the hands of a wicked and sinful man. I will place my trust in Christ, and in Him alone.

What evidence do you have that your priest is worthy personally to be responsible for your eternal destiny? Does he love you as Christ loves you and have himself to die on your behalf? Are you, 100% certain that your priest knows precisely the way of salvation and is himself living that way? What makes him more qualified to grant you eternal life and have the power to see you through all your trials and overcome your personal weaknesses and shortcomings and bad habits that Jesus doesn't have? Are you sure, without a shred of doubt, your priest loves you more than he loves himself? Loves you more than you love yourself (and I don't mean narcissistacly,).
You really trust your priest more than you think Christ Himself is worthy of your trust?

Reactions: Bobby Jo

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... and SO DID the Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, and Teachers. -- But you FALSE Doctrines exclude the Apostles because they want you to DEPEND on THEM, and not any other Ministry for us individuals. IT'S A CONTROL THING, and it seems to be working ON YOU!

Are you perchance also a Democrat? -- They seem to prefer the Government being in Control.
Bobby Jo
As I said before, according to Jesus and Peter, an apostle must be an eye witness to the ministry of Jesus, and especially an eye witness to his resurrection. (See my post below.) The only person who has the authority to tell me what to believe and what to do is Jesus Christ. Even if a man today claimed to be an apostle, one is not obligated to believe or obey that man unless his message conveys the teaching of Jesus. One is not obligated to obey anyone claiming to be an apostle, prophet, evangelist, teacher or preacher as such. One is obligated to believe and obey such men only to the degree that their message conveys the teaching of Jesus Christ the Lord.

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Problem is if this is all true then what do we do with the guys in the long robes and the tall head pieces declaring we acknowledge their authority?
When the talk concerns apostolic authority, our concern is belief and practice. Who has the authority to tell me what to believe and what to do? God has gifted human beings both with freedom of the will and sovereignty with few exceptions. For instance, children are to obey their parents. Ultimately God is the only one who can tell me what to believe and what to do. To the degree that someone rightfully represents God's will, to that degree I am to obey his word. If the person is a false teacher or a false prophet, we are not obligated to obey.

Jesus, as the son of God, has the authority to tell me what to believe and what to do. The 12 apostles and Paul, to the degree they speak for Jesus, also have the authority to tell me what to believe and what to do in so far as they faithfully represent the teaching of Jesus. The same is true for anyone who claims to represent the Lord. I am obligated to obey those who faithfully and accurately represent what Jesus teaches but only to the extent that the message is indeed one that Jesus would approve.

Our sole obligation is to obey Jesus Christ. And whenever we hear someone bring a message, our obligation and loyalty rests in the veracity of the message, not in the messenger. I am not obligated to obey a pope, a minister, a prophet or an apostle as such; I must always defer to the Lord Jesus Christ and what he taught.

Reactions: Waiting on him

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... and SO DID the Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, and Teachers. -- But you FALSE Doctrines exclude the Apostles because they want you to DEPEND on THEM, and not any other Ministry for us individuals. IT'S A CONTROL THING, and it seems to be working ON YOU!

Are you perchance also a Democrat? -- They seem to prefer the Government being in Control.
Bobby Jo

the Bible has authentic civil government that we are told to obey!

rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

and I’m independent no political party!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said before, according to Jesus and Peter, an apostle must be an eye witness to the ministry of Jesus, and especially an eye witness to his resurrection. (See my post below.) The only person who has the authority to tell me what to believe and what to do is Jesus Christ. Even if a man today claimed to be an apostle, one is not obligated to believe or obey that man unless his message conveys the teaching of Jesus. One is not obligated to obey anyone claiming to be an apostle, prophet, evangelist, teacher or preacher as such. One is obligated to believe and obey such men only to the degree that their message conveys the teaching of Jesus Christ the Lord.

that’s spiritual anarchy! You accept the king but not His kingdom? Why

if you really believe and obey Jesus then do as He says!!!

Lk 10:16 Mt 16:18 and 18:18
Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13 Jn 21:17 only apply to the apostles and their successors!

why can’t you see that Christ continues His ministry in His church thru His apostles and their successors???

He says so!

Jn 20:21-22

as the Father sent me, I send you!

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same mission power and authority as Christ!

2 Corinthians 5:18
And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

acts 1 even Judas was a valid apostle having a share in this ministry!

Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep:

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 John 2

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

Paul and John are making themselves spiritual fathers!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the talk concerns apostolic authority, our concern is belief and practice. Who has the authority to tell me what to believe and what to do? God has gifted human beings both with freedom of the will and sovereignty with few exceptions. For instance, children are to obey their parents. Ultimately God is the only one who can tell me what to believe and what to do. To the degree that someone rightfully represents God's will, to that degree I am to obey his word. If the person is a false teacher or a false prophet, we are not obligated to obey.

Jesus, as the son of God, has the authority to tell me what to believe and what to do. The 12 apostles and Paul, to the degree they speak for Jesus, also have the authority to tell me what to believe and what to do in so far as they faithfully represent the teaching of Jesus. The same is true for anyone who claims to represent the Lord. I am obligated to obey those who faithfully and accurately represent what Jesus teaches but only to the extent that the message is indeed one that Jesus would approve.

Our sole obligation is to obey Jesus Christ. And whenever we hear someone bring a message, our obligation and loyalty rests in the veracity of the message, not in the messenger. I am not obligated to obey a pope, a minister, a prophet or an apostle as such; I must always defer to the Lord Jesus Christ and what he taught.
For me it’s as easy as looking at all the murder and vile acts to conclude, it’s a succession, but not Apostolic.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I must always defer to the Lord Jesus Christ and what he taught as long as it is in keeping with my private opinion. Sorry, CadyandZoe, your anti-church, anti-institution mentality is not biblical. Jesus founded a living, hierarchical, infallible, monarchical, indestructible CHURCH, not a book club.

sola-scriptura.png

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must always defer to the Lord Jesus Christ and what he taught as long as it is in keeping with my private opinion. Sorry, CadyandZoe, your anti-church, anti-institution mentality is not biblical. Jesus founded a CHURCH, not a book club.

sola-scriptura.png
Gotta look at the fruit. To know if it’s of Christ.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me it’s as easy as looking at all the murder and vile acts to conclude, it’s a succession, but not Apostolic.

pope bishops are not all saints no, and I never claimed they were impeccable!

but God uses men! Christ teaches thru men! Lk 10:16

Reactions: Illuminator

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gotta look at the fruit. To know if it’s of Christ.
The first fruits of the Protestant Revolt was division, systematic persecution, plundering and theft of church property, censorship and theological chaos. Protestant Inquisitions: "Reformation" Intolerance & Persecution Catholics TODAY do not hold Protestants of TODAY accountable for centuries old sins of YESTERDAY, but some of you guys can't stop holding Catholics of TODAY accountable for centuries old sins of YESTERDAY,
because they refuse to grow up. The "your daddy is uglier than my daddy" arguments are stupid and childish, and contrary to the unity that Christ wills for His Church!!!

There are plenty of good fruits in the Catholic Church TODAY, just as there are good fruits in non-Catholic churches. It's blind prejudice that restricts anti-Catholic bigots to see only sins and nothing else.

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The nature of authority is always hierarchical! Even the nine choirs of angels have three hierarchy’s!

Reactions: Illuminator

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have the marvelous examples of both Peter and Judas who betrayed Christ!

but both were still valid apostles!

Status
Not open for further replies.