Is believing in the trinity necessary to be a christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Butch5 said:
Here is Alexander of Alexandria in refuting Arianism.

12. Concerning whom we thus believe, even as the Apostolic Church believes. In one Father unbegotten, who has from no one the cause of His being, who is unchangeable and immutable, who is always the same, and admits of no increase or diminution; who gave to us the Law, the prophets, and the Gospels; who is Lord of the patriarchs and apostles, and all the saints. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God; not begotten of things which are not, but of Him who is the Father; not in a corporeal manner, by excision or division as Sabellius and Valentinus thought, but in a certain inexplicable and unspeakable manner, according to the words of the prophet cited above: “Who shall declare His generation? ” Since that His subsistence no nature which is begotten can investigate, even as the Father can be investigated by none; because that the nature of rational beings cannot receive the knowledge of His divine generation by the Father. But men who are moved by the Spirit of truth, have no need to learn these things from me, for in our ears are sounding the words before uttered by Christ on this very thing,” No man knoweth the Father, save the Son; and no man knoweth who the Son is, save the Father.” That He is equally with the Father unchangeable and immutable, wanting in nothing, and the perfect Son, and like to the Father, we have learnt; in this alone is He inferior to the Father, that He is not unbegotten. For He is the very exact image of the Father, and in nothing differing from Him. For it is clear that He is the image fully containing all things by which the greatest similitude is declared, as the Lord Himself hath taught us, when He says, “My Father is greater than I.” And according to this we believe that the Son is of the Father, always existing. “For He is the brightness of His glory, the express image of His Father’s person.” But let no one take that word always so as to raise suspicion that He is unbegotten, as they imagine who have their senses blinded. For neither are the words, “He was,” or “always,” or “before all worlds,” equivalent to unbegotten. But neither can the human mind employ any other word to signify unbegotten. And thus I think that you understand it, and I trust to your right purpose in all things, since these words do not at all signify unbegotten. For these words seem to denote simply a lengthening out of time, but the Godhead, and as it were the antiquity of the only-begotten, they cannot worthily signify; but they have been employed by holy men, whilst each, according to his capacity, seeks to express this mystery, asking indulgence from the hearers, and pleading a reasonable excuse, in saying, Thus far have we attained. But if there be any who are expecting from mortal lips some word which exceeds human capacity, saying that those things have been done away which are known in part, it is manifest that the words,” He was,” and “always,” and “before all ages,” come far short of what they hoped. And whatever word shall be employed is not equivalent to unbegotten. Therefore to the unbegotten Father, indeed, we ought to preserve His proper dignity, in confessing that no one is the cause of His being; but to the Son must be allotted His fitting honour, in assigning to Him, as we have said, a generation from the Father without beginning, and allotting adoration to Him, so as only piously and properly to use the words,” He was,” and “always,” and “before all worlds,” with respect to Him; by no means rejecting His Godhead, but ascribing to Him a similitude which exactly answers in every respect to the Image and Exemplar of the Father. But we must say that to the Father alone belongs the property of being unbegotten, for the Saviour Himself said, My Father is greater than I.” And besides the pious opinion concerning the Father and the Son, we confess to one Holy Spirit, as the divine Scriptures teach us; who hath inaugurated both the holy men of the Old Testament, and the divine teachers of that which is called the New.

Early Church Fathers - – Ante-Nicene Fathers: The Writings of the Fathers Down To A.D. 325.

The teaching of Simon Cephus Ante-Nicene Father volume 8

And on this account it is right that we should worship Him, because He is to be worshipped together with His Father, and that we should not worship creatures, who were created for the worship of the Creator. For He is Himself the God of truth and verity; He is Himself from before all worlds and creatures; He is Himself the veritable Son, and the glorious fruit which is from the exalted Father.

Early Church Fathers - – Ante-Nicene Fathers: The Writings of the Fathers Down To A.D. 325.
Thanks for putting some time into locating this. It seems to me that what is being said in regards to Emanuel always being a son, is at the least ambiguous. Moreover this is a man's interpretation. Could you supply me scriptures that imply or state such a thing.

Also, would you highlight your thread in yellow where such definitive statements are being made by Alexander of Alexandria?

THX :)

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
Thanks for putting some time into locating this. It seems to me that what is being said in regards to Emanuel always being a son, is at the least ambiguous. Moreover this is a man's interpretation. Could you supply me scriptures that imply or state such a thing.

Also, would you highlight your thread in yellow where such definitive statements are being made by Alexander of Alexandria?

I will look for the Scriptures, however, I think we need to remember that it is all men's interpretations even if it's yours or mine.

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
ZebraHug said:
It's not essential . . . it's detrimental.
I agree.

Jesus never said you have to believe Jesus is God to be saved nor "I am God", not even once.

Angelina said:
It does not really matter whether you believe in the Trinity or not. What truly matters is if you believe in Jesus and have received him as Lord of your life and your savior. God reveals himself to you as you get to know and understand him through his word and the Holy Spirit that Jesus sends into our hearts crying "Abba Father"

Blessings!
Well said, thank you sister:)

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.

These first two quotes are from Ignatius. These are significant because Ignatius was a disciple of the apostle John. His statements will reflect what John taught him, not necessarily an interpretation.

Ignatius, Epistle to the Epheisans chapter 18
The cross of Christ is indeed a stumbling-block to those that do not believe, but to the believing it is salvation and life eternal. “Where is the wise man? where the disputer?” Where is the boasting of those who are called mighty? For the Son of God, who was begotten before time began, and established all things according to the will of the Father, He was conceived in the womb of Mary, according to the appointment of God, of the seed of David, and by the Holy Ghost. For says [the Scripture], “Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and He shall be called Immanuel.” He was born and was baptized by John, that He might ratify the institution committed to that prophet.

Epistle to the Antiocians chapter 14
I write this letter to you from Philippi. May He who is alone unbegotten, keep you stedfast both in the spirit and in the flesh, through Him who was begotten before time began! And may I behold you in the kingdom of Christ! I salute him who is to bear rule over you in my stead: may I have joy of him in the Lord! Fare ye well in God, and in Christ, being enlightened by the Holy Spirit.

Justin Martyr Second Apology

Chapter 6. — Names of God and of Christ, their meaning and power
But to the Father of all, who is unbegotten there is no name given. For by whatever name He be called, He has as His elder the person who gives Him the name. But these words Father, and God, and Creator, and Lord, and Master, are not names, but appellations derived from His good deeds and functions. And His Son, who alone is properly called Son, the Word who also was with Him and was begotten before the works, when at first He created and arranged all things by Him, is called Christ, in reference to His being anointed and God’s ordering all things through Him;

Irenaeus was a disciple of Polycarp who was a disciple of the apostle John.

Irenaeus, Fragment 53

With regard to Christ, the law and the prophets and the evangelists have proclaimed that He was born of a virgin, that He suffered upon a beam of wood, and that He appeared from the dead; that He also ascended to the heavens, and was glorified by the Father, and is the Eternal King; that He is the perfect Intelligence, the Word of God, who was begotten before the light;

Dionysius Against the Sabellians

With regard to Christ, the law and the prophets and the evangelists have proclaimed that He was born of a virgin, that He suffered upon a beam of wood, and that He appeared from the dead; that He also ascended to the heavens, and was glorified by the Father, and is the Eternal King; that He is the perfect Intelligence, the Word of God, who was begotten before the light;

The Apostolic Constitutions

And He was made in the womb of a virgin, who formed all mankind that are born into the world; He took flesh, who was without flesh; He who was begotten before time, was born in time;

Melito The Philosopher chapter 4 Fatih

We have collected together extracts from the Law and the Prophets relating to those things which have been declared concerning our Lord Jesus Christ, that we may prove to your love that this Being is perfect reason, the Word of God; He who was begotten before the light;

Augustine, Doctrinal Treatises, On Creeds, section 8

8. He was begotten before all times, before all worlds. “Begotten before.” Before what, He in Whom is no before? Do not in the least imagine any time before that Nativity of Christ whereby He was begotten of the Father; of that Nativity I am speaking by which He is Son of God Almighty, His Only Son our Lord; of that am I first speaking.
Early Church Fathers - – A Select Library of the Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church.

Theodoretus
In his Exposition of the Faith:—
“We confess that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, was begotten before all ages, without beginning, of the Father, and that in these last days the same was made flesh of the holy Virgin Mary, assumed the manhood, in its perfection, of a reasonable soul and body, of one substance with the Father as touching His Godhead and of one substance with us as touching His manhood.

Early Church Fathers - – A Select Library of the Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church: Second Series.

This shows how the early Christians understood the Trinity. While the Son was begotten of God before the world He is eternal. To explain this they used the analogy of fire. If you had a fire you could put the end of a piece of wood into it and the wood would ignite. When you remove the wood you have two fires yet the first fire is in no way diminished and the second fire is not new, it has existed as long as the first fire. It simply existed in the first fire, It could be said upon its separation that it was begotten of the first fire. This is how they saw the Father and the Son. Jesus said in John 8 I came out of the Father. This is the original understanding of the Trinity, it changed around the 400. I believe it was Augustine who introduced what most modern Christians believe.

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
KingJ said:
I don't disagree with you. Just think about the verse I quoted in Corinthians. It says clearly that unless the Holy Spirit reveals it to us, nobody can ''truly'' call Jesus Lord.

Hence, a Christian can never be a true atheist.
Do you realize that the word Lord is not synonymous to God?

Jesus is my Lord but He is not God. His Father is.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Butch5 said:
These first two quotes are from Ignatius. These are significant because Ignatius was a disciple of the apostle John. His statements will reflect what John taught him, not necessarily an interpretation.

Ignatius, Epistle to the Epheisans chapter 18
The cross of Christ is indeed a stumbling-block to those that do not believe, but to the believing it is salvation and life eternal. “Where is the wise man? where the disputer?” Where is the boasting of those who are called mighty? For the Son of God, who was begotten before time began, and established all things according to the will of the Father, He was conceived in the womb of Mary, according to the appointment of God, of the seed of David, and by the Holy Ghost. For says [the Scripture], “Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and He shall be called Immanuel.” He was born and was baptized by John, that He might ratify the institution committed to that prophet.

Epistle to the Antiocians chapter 14
I write this letter to you from Philippi. May He who is alone unbegotten, keep you stedfast both in the spirit and in the flesh, through Him who was begotten before time began! And may I behold you in the kingdom of Christ! I salute him who is to bear rule over you in my stead: may I have joy of him in the Lord! Fare ye well in God, and in Christ, being enlightened by the Holy Spirit.

Justin Martyr Second Apology

Chapter 6. — Names of God and of Christ, their meaning and power
But to the Father of all, who is unbegotten there is no name given. For by whatever name He be called, He has as His elder the person who gives Him the name. But these words Father, and God, and Creator, and Lord, and Master, are not names, but appellations derived from His good deeds and functions. And His Son, who alone is properly called Son, the Word who also was with Him and was begotten before the works, when at first He created and arranged all things by Him, is called Christ, in reference to His being anointed and God’s ordering all things through Him;

Irenaeus was a disciple of Polycarp who was a disciple of the apostle John.

Irenaeus, Fragment 53

Dionysius Against the Sabellians

The Apostolic Constitutions

And He was made in the womb of a virgin, who formed all mankind that are born into the world; He took flesh, who was without flesh; He who was begotten before time, was born in time;

Melito The Philosopher chapter 4 Fatih

We have collected together extracts from the Law and the Prophets relating to those things which have been declared concerning our Lord Jesus Christ, that we may prove to your love that this Being is perfect reason, the Word of God; He who was begotten before the light;

Augustine, Doctrinal Treatises, On Creeds, section 8

8. He was begotten before all times, before all worlds. “Begotten before.” Before what, He in Whom is no before? Do not in the least imagine any time before that Nativity of Christ whereby He was begotten of the Father; of that Nativity I am speaking by which He is Son of God Almighty, His Only Son our Lord; of that am I first speaking.
Early Church Fathers - – A Select Library of the Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church.

Theodoretus
In his Exposition of the Faith:—
“We confess that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, was begotten before all ages, without beginning, of the Father, and that in these last days the same was made flesh of the holy Virgin Mary, assumed the manhood, in its perfection, of a reasonable soul and body, of one substance with the Father as touching His Godhead and of one substance with us as touching His manhood.

Early Church Fathers - – A Select Library of the Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church: Second Series.

This shows how the early Christians understood the Trinity. While the Son was begotten of God before the world He is eternal. To explain this they used the analogy of fire. If you had a fire you could put the end of a piece of wood into it and the wood would ignite. When you remove the wood you have two fires yet the first fire is in no way diminished and the second fire is not new, it has existed as long as the first fire. It simply existed in the first fire, It could be said upon its separation that it was begotten of the first fire. This is how they saw the Father and the Son. Jesus said in John 8 I came out of the Father. This is the original understanding of the Trinity, it changed around the 400. I believe it was Augustine who introduced what most modern Christians believe.

I appreciate your early church history quotes, but I will wait on those scriptures and keep in mind what you said above in regards to them. THX

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
I appreciate your early church history quotes, but I will wait on those scriptures and keep in mind what you said above in regards to them. THX
I don't know if the Scriptures say that Christ was begotten before time. However, as I pointed out. Ignatius was taught by John so I think it's highly probably that John is the one who told him that.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
I've added as well a few fragments from a chap that has addressed the issue some what.

A Brief Analysis of the Doctrine
The notion of Jesus’ “eternal sonship” is found to be faulty from the following particulars.

Eternal Existence, Yes — Eternal Generation, No
There are numerous biblical passages that affirm the eternality of Christ (e.g., Isaiah 9:6; Micah 5:2; John 1:1; 8:58; 17:5, etc. — especially note the verbal tenses in the New Testament texts). In addition, many Old Testament passages that speak of “Jehovah” — a designation suggesting one “who is absolutely self-existent” (Stone, 15), i.e., one having no beginning or dependence upon another (Exodus 3:14) — are applied to Christ (see: Isaiah 40:3/Matthew 3:3; Isaiah 44:6/Revelation 1:17; Jeremiah 23:5-6, etc.).
Paul frequently referred to Jesus as “Lord” (kurios) — a term used in the Greek Old Testament to replace the sacred name, Yahweh (Jehovah). “Paul could not have used this word as his almost exclusive title for Jesus without in his mind identifying Jesus as Yahweh” (Cottrell, 1996, I.76).
On the other hand, there is no biblical text that speaks of an “eternal generation” or an “eternal procession” of the pre-incarnate Christ.

A Father Precedes A Son
If language is to have any discernible meaning at all, it is not possible to have both an eternal “son,” and an eternal “father,” for in the nature of the case, a “Father” is alwaysperceived to be anterior (prior to) to his “son,” and a “son” subsequent to his “father.”
Thus, if God is the “father” of the pre-incarnate son, the son cannot be eternal; hence, must have been created — as the heretic Arius alleged, and the Jehovah’s Witnesses affirm.
The dogma of “eternal generation” paved the way for the Arian view — though it would be unfair to equate modern denominationalists with the total Arian theological package.

Begotten Is Not Eternal
If it is the case that the Second Person of the Godhead was “begotten,” he is not “eternal God,” for eternality is an intrinsic quality of deity; God is from “everlasting to everlasting” (Psalm 90:2).
If a doctrine, by necessary implication, negates the deity of Jesus Christ, can one be considered faithful who espouses it?

Contradictory Language
The dogma is discredited logically by self-contradiction. To contend that the Son was “eternally begotten” is a manifest contradiction of terms. It is the equivalent of saying, “Christ had an eternal beginning.” Can an object “begin,” and not have been begun?

Mumbo-Jumbo Theology
Advocates of the “eternal Son” dogma are forced to resort to some of the most discombobulated jargon to explain their position. One writer says:

“If God is the perfect Mind, action of the same nature with this will enter into his self-consciousness also. He too will reproduce himself in thought, and recognize the reproduction as identical with the Mind that thought it forth” (W. Clarke, 173).

Another says: “there must be in God a producing not subject to time, and productions which have no beginning” (McClintock, IX.889).
When the language employed in an attempt to explain an issue becomes such a linguistic maze that not even the zealous advocate for the theory can convey it rationally, one may be assured that the idea behind it is suspect. Cottrell has observed that the terms “eternal generation,” “procession,” etc.:

“were never understood in their ordinary senses; in fact, they were never given any content whatsoever. They have served as empty code words which we do not need as a support for the concept of the ontological Trinity and the reality of Christ’s full deity” (2002, 256).

Eternal Sonship Not in Harmony With the Prophets
The concept of “eternal sonship” is inconsistent with the language of the prophets. Isaiah declared that the virgin would “conceive” and “bear a son,” whose name would be called Immanuel (7:14; Matthew 1:22-23).
The “son” status is said to follow Mary’s conception. If “conception” is the equivalent of “begotten,” and Christ was “eternally begotten,” would not this suggest that he was “eternally conceived”?
Later Isaiah prophetically declared, “a child is born, a son is given” (9:6). Does not this connect the role of being “son” with that of the birth of the child? If not, how can one ever have confidence in the meaningful interpretation of language? And if the “son” of this text is an “eternal son,” would this also imply that the “child” is an “eternal child”?

Psalm 2 Incompatible With Eternal Sonship
Psalm 2 is a prophecy of Christ, as evidenced by the citation of the text by New Testament writers (Acts 13:33; Hebrews 1:5). The passage frequently is used as a proof-text for the theory of “eternal generation.” Or at least there is the vigorous protest that this psalm does not negate that concept (Alexander, I.14-16).
It is not our purpose here to discuss the meaning of the passage in the overall context of the Bible, but merely to demonstrate that the language of the text itself is incompatible with the theory under review.
The expression “this day have I begotten” reveals that a “begettal”—whatever its nature—has a commencement point, a “day” when it takes place. The term “never can, by any figure, or allowable latitude of construction, be applied to express eternity” (A. Clarke,III.223). To speak of an “eternal begettal” is to employ nonsensical language.
Compare with this another Messianic prophecy (cf. Kirkpatrick, 538). “I will make himmy firstborn” (Psalm 89:27; emphasis added). If Christ was the “firstborn” (Son) literally and eternally, how can this be portrayed as a future event?

Eternal Sonship Contradicts Explicit Scripture
The “eternal sonship” notion contradicts the explicit testimony of scripture. The angel Gabriel informed Mary that her miraculously conceived child “shall be called the Son of God” (Luke 1:32, 35) — not that he always has been such.
Some contend that the text indicates that he was to be called the “Son of God” because that is what he was, and forever had been. But this ignores the grammar of the text. Godet explained:

“By the word also (‘therefore also’) the angel alludes to his preceding words: He shall be called Son of the Highest [v. 32]. We might paraphrase it: ‘And it is precisely for this reason that I said to thee, that!’” (I.93).

In other words, it was because of the supernatural conception that he was to be called “Son of God.”

Second Person Never Called “Son of God” Prior To Physical Birth
The expression “son of God” is applied to Christ more than 40 times in the New Testament. In not a single case is it used of his existence before he was born of Mary (Barnes, 21).

The Logical Consequence
As observed earlier, the logical consequence of the concept of “eternal generation” is that there was a time when the Second Person of the Godhead did not exist — though most who advocate the doctrine repudiate the implication of the teaching. But, as a recent writer stated it, with no apology for the conclusion, Christ had “his origin … back in the ages of eternity, when he became the divine offspring (Son) of God before anything or anyone else ever came into existence” (Pribble, 82; emphasis added).
Even those who argue for “eternal sonship” seem to struggle with the concept, yielding finally to the pressures of church history, rather than sound interpretive procedure. John Walvoord conceded that the connection of Jesus’ “sonship,” with the incarnation, “has the advantage of being simple in concept.” On the other hand, he muses, if that is the case, there is no explanation for the “relationship” between God and Christ prior to the incarnation. This, he says, “requires some definition.”
Why must it? Is it not enough to know that both are deity, and in conjunction with the “eternal Spirit” (Hebrews 9:14), existed eternally? Why must one resort to a theory that contorts reasonable language beyond common sense recognition? The distinguished professor offered not a solitary biblical argument for the “eternal generation” position.
Walvoord concedes that the “eternal sonship” idea has “many problems,” but he thinks he must be so since “the consensus of the great theologians of the church and the great church councils” maintained this view for centuries. Particularly, he declares, this has been “the main doctrine of the church, since the Council of Nicaea in 325” (39). What church? The church of the New Testament had receded into the shadows already. WAYNE JACKSON

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
JB_Reformed Baptist, on 22 Mar 2013 - 22:19, said:

I appreciate your early church history quotes, but I will wait
on those scriptures and keep in mind what you said above in regards to them.
THX

Here is a passages that hints ate it but doesn't state it outright.

YLT 1 John 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God in us, because His Son -- the only begotten -- hath God sent to the world, that we may live through him;

This passage seems to indicate that Christ was the Son prior to being sent. John says He sent His Son. It seems to imply that Christ was the Son prior to being sent.

There is evidence from the early Christians that this passage was changed by the Gnostics and should read "which was born". making the passage singular and referring to Christ.I believe the evidence supports this. This passage says not born of blood, every person who ever lived was born of blood, including the word made flesh. However, the Son begotten before time would not be born of the flesh, nor the will of man, nor of blood, but of God.

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (Joh 1:1 KJV)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi KingJ

Your quote:
Hi Angelina.
Consider the verse above.
Sure, you don't have to believe in the trinity to get saved, but when you are saved you do. Hence you cannot be saved if you don't.
When I made this statement, I was referring to this quote from Arnie:
The people who crucified Christ did not believe in the trinity ..... that is why they killed him .....
My reply to this was...
Demons believe that there is one God and they tremble..but that does not make them saved... James 2:19
His statement implied that those who crucified Jesus did so because they did not believe in the Trinity and also, that Jesus was the coming one.

I was basically saying that even demons know that there is one God [in the sense of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit = Trinity] but that does not make them saved...Salvation does not depend on ones understanding of the Trinity nor has it ever.

Your quote:
Sure, you don't have to believe in the trinity to get saved, but when you are saved you do. Hence you cannot be saved if you don't.
I disagree with the last part of this statement. If you are saved without understanding the Trinity...how is it that you then become unsaved because you have not grasped the revelation of the Trinity later on in your walk. Did Jesus die on the cross to cleanse us from sin and redeem us from the power of death or did he die so that we can understand the Trinity? It is God who saves and no-one can put a conditions on salvation because we are but flesh. If God chooses to reveal himself as the Godhead "awesome" but that does not make anyone any less saved because they do not understand it.

Shalom!

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Butch5 said:
JB_Reformed Baptist, on 22 Mar 2013 - 22:19, said:

I appreciate your early church history quotes, but I will wait
on those scriptures and keep in mind what you said above in regards to them.
THX

YLT 1 John 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God in us, because His Son -- the only begotten -- hath God sent to the world, that we may live through him;

This passage seems to indicate that Christ was the Son prior to being sent. John says He sent His Son. It seems to imply that Christ was the Son prior to being sent.

There is evidence from the early Christians that this passage was changed by the Gnostics and should read "which was born". making the passage singular and referring to Christ.I believe the evidence supports this. This passage says not born of blood, every person who ever lived was born of blood, including the word made flesh. However, the Son begotten before time would not be born of the flesh, nor the will of man, nor of blood, but of God.

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (Joh 1:1 KJV)

Here is JFBrown take on this.

1Jn 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

1 John 4:9
toward us — Greek, “in our case.”
sent — Greek, “hath sent.”
into the world — a proof against Socinians, that the Son existed before He was “sent into the world.” Otherwise, too, He could not have been our life (1Jo_4:9), our “propitiation” (1Jo_4:10), or our “Savior” (1Jo_4:14). It is the grand proof of God’s love, His having sent “His only-begotten Son, that we might live through Him,” who is the Life, and who has redeemed our forfeited life; and it is also the grand motive to our mutual love.

&

μονογενής
monogenēs
Thayer Definition:
1) single of its kind, only
1a) used of only sons or daughters (viewed in relation to their parents)
1b) used of Christ, denotes the only begotten son of God

STRONGS_

monogenēs
mon-og-en-ace
From G3441 and G1096; only born, that is, sole: - only (begotten, child).

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Butch5 said:

Another way to look at this is that the term son has no meaning outside of human existence on earth. In other words, GOD doesn't beget children in heaven, but has only begotten one on earth through a woman. Therefore, John saying that GOD sent his son into the world could be interpreted as meaning that his form, the logos, was transformed into flesh in Mary's womb becoming a son. That son was born into the world, i.e., sent into the world.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
Another way to look at this is that the term son has no meaning outside of human existence on earth. In other words, GOD doesn't beget children in heaven, but has only begotten one on earth through a woman. Therefore, John saying that GOD sent his son into the world could be interpreted as meaning that his form, the logos, was transformed into flesh in Mary's womb becoming a son. That son was born into the world, i.e., sent into the world.
Hi,

It could be understood that way. However, it seems to me that the wording suggests He is the Son prior to His coming into the world. That idea also didn't come around until a couple hundred years after Christ.

Here is JFBrown take on this.

1Jn 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

1 John 4:9
toward us — Greek, “in our case.”
sent — Greek, “hath sent.”
into the world — a proof against Socinians, that the Son existed before He was “sent into the world.” Otherwise, too, He could not have been our life (1Jo_4:9), our “propitiation” (1Jo_4:10), or our “Savior” (1Jo_4:14). It is the grand proof of God’s love, His having sent “His only-begotten Son, that we might live through Him,” who is the Life, and who has redeemed our forfeited life; and it is also the grand motive to our mutual love.

&

μονογενής
monogenēs
Thayer Definition:
1) single of its kind, only
1a) used of only sons or daughters (viewed in relation to their parents)
1b) used of Christ, denotes the only begotten son of God

STRONGS_

monogenēs
mon-og-en-ace
From G3441 and G1096; only born, that is, sole: - only (begotten, child).
So, it is in agreement with the early Christians.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Butch5 said:
Hi,

It could be understood that way. However, it seems to me that the wording suggests He is the Son prior to His coming into the world. That idea also didn't come around until a couple hundred years after Christ.

Butch5 said:
Hi,

Psa 2:7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

Act 13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

Heb 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Angelina said:
I disagree with the last part of this statement. If you are saved without understanding the Trinity...how is it that you then become unsaved because you have not grasped the revelation of the Trinity later on in your walk. Did Jesus die on the cross to cleanse us from sin and redeem us from the power of death or did he die so that we can understand the Trinity? It is God who saves and no-one can put a conditions on salvation because we are but flesh. If God chooses to reveal himself as the Godhead "awesome" but that does not make anyone any less saved because they do not understand it.

Shalom!
:) My simple point is, when we are first saved, we fully grasp that Jesus is Lord. When we make a leap of faith, we don't stay in the air. We land and receive a full revelation of Jesus, just as Peter did. We have either received Jesus or we have not. We either know Jesus or we don't.

Can anyone call themself a Christian if they don't believe Jesus is Lord?

Jul 6, 2011
Well yes. In short. The Biblical testimony describes the Father, by the Son who doesnt leave us because of something exactly the same 'allos parakletos'

So if you dont call God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, God still is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. So if the Trinity is the word we use, a Christian has to believe in the Trinity.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
I have to agree with that. However, I think there is a tendency with some to go beyond that and say GOD is three separate persons. That's just weird.
Please explain the underlined then....

Mark 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God and John 17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee.

meshak said:
I agree.

Jesus never said you have to believe Jesus is God to be saved nor "I am God", not even once.

Well said, thank you sister:)
So Muslims are saved :blink:

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
KingJ said:

Mark 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God and John 17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee.
Better yet, why don't you explain to me why you don't see what I said in these verses?

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
KingJ said:

So Muslims are saved :blink:
I dont know if Muslims will be saved but they are not followers of Jesus. And Muslims dont believe Jesus is Son of God, either.

I believe Jesus is Son of God because that's what He says.

I dont claim Jesus is God but Jesus is my Lord and I have been serving Him for 13 years, friend.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
brightmorningstar said:
Well yes. In short. The Biblical testimony describes the Father, by the Son who doesnt leave us because of something exactly the same 'allos parakletos'

So if you dont call God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, God still is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. So if the Trinity is the word we use, a Christian has to believe in the Trinity.
I understand what you are saying but a person who is about to accept Jesus into their heart does not necessarily know this...the outcome may be that revelation but in the beginning, this is a mystery to most... :huh:

BB