Is it a sin to use contraception?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it a sin to use contraception?
Since contraception includes temporary abstinence as well as timing to prevent conception, it would depend on what is in view and what is used. Abortion is murder, and intake of chemicals leads to health problems.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since contraception includes temporary abstinence as well as timing to prevent conception, it would depend on what is in view and what is used. Abortion is murder, and intake of chemicals leads to health problems.

It seems to be popular these days, for those who have a full quiver, to get their tubes tied, or the male equivalent sperm tubes.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The use of various devices and medications is universally practiced, and even amongst Catholics, 95% use birth control.

I don't know where u got that 95% from but as a Catholic myself and from the Catholics I know i would say that its 10%

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Im surprised this topic didn't draw much interest so i'll give my opinion and hopefully it provides some food for thought...

So, is it a sin to use contraception. I think it is. I refer to this bible passage...

"Judah got a wife for Er, his firstborn, and her name was Tamar.
But Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death.
Then Judah said to Onan, “Sleep with your brother’s wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to raise up offspring for your brother.”
But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also" Genesis 38:6-10

What was Onan's sin? What exactly was wicked in the Lord's sight that cause Him to take Onan's life?

In the Leviticus laws, when a man dies and leaves a widow his brother is obliged to take her under his wing and raise offspring
So, some people argue that the Lord killed Onan for not fulfilling his duty as commanded by the law of Leviticus

But there is a problem with that. The breaking of Leviticus laws are not punishable by death

I think the Lord killed Onan because he intentionally spilled his seed. U mite be wondering if this counts as contraception
Definition
the deliberate use of artificial methods or other techniques to prevent pregnancy as a consequence of sexual intercourse

I think its a sin, If you look at it from a natural point of view, there is nothing natural about contraception.

If u want to make love to your partners without the little cuddly surprise after 9 months then its a good idea to track her/your menstrual cycle so u know when shes/you're most fertile and least fertile...

You are confusing two issues. The Onan case was in response to specific cultural laws that were applicable to Jews at that time. One has to unpack the issue as it does not necessarily mean that it applies to everyone at all times.

Using contraception today is not contravening any cultural laws that God has placed upon us today so one has to discuss that matter in a different concept.

I am reliably informed that there is a method of contraception called the Billings Method that does not involve contraceptives. It records the cycle of menstruation that enables a couple to determine when the woman is fertile and when she is not. As it is only a few days per month, it is easy not to use contraceptives as most of the time the woman is not fertile.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are confusing two issues. The Onan case was in response to specific cultural laws that were applicable to Jews at that time. One has to unpack the issue as it does not necessarily mean that it applies to everyone at all times.

Using contraception today is not contravening any cultural laws that God has placed upon us today so one has to discuss that matter in a different concept.

I am reliably informed that there is a method of contraception called the Billings Method that does not involve contraceptives. It records the cycle of menstruation that enables a couple to determine when the woman is fertile and when she is not. As it is only a few days per month, it is easy not to use contraceptives as most of the time the woman is not fertile.

Why did God take Onan's life... Was it for breaking the Leviticus law (motive) or for spilling his seed (action)

I did explain that the breaking of the Leviticus laws are not punishable by death. Was see this in Deuteronomy 25:7-10
That being the case, spilling the seed becomes a very probable reason

As for the Billings method I also described that in the post you responded to

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi. Uv made some excellent points.

It isn't a popular subject cos i think we've probably all done it and that experience makes us too subjective to honestly interpret things

U referred to The Church and im guessing it's the RCC. One of the best things about being with the RCC is the CCC
Whenever i have this type of question i refer to the Catechism. I don't know if Protestant churches have Catechisms?

The Catechism gives us the interpretation of scripture. It puts everyone on the same page which prevents schisms
It addresses topics that the bible has no answer to. And it prevents people being blinded by their subjectivism to incorrectly interpret scripture

Both contraception and abortion promote promiscuity. It takes the responsibility away from the people having sex
Before you had to be careful cos of the risk of pregnancy.

Women were much more conservative cos they had to be sure they were picking a good man.
And so when man and woman united it was something much more precious, it was deeper, it had more meaning

Now sex is cheap. Both sexes sleep around which lowers our pair bonding abilities.
The more people someone sleeps with the harder it will be for them to sustain a relationship. High divorce rates are evidence of this

So contraception and abortion in society has only served to destroy the family unit

I don't have a Cathecism, some people of different denominations sometimes use Bible commentaries, but the Bible commentaries can vary.

I do agree with you though.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The "Billings method" is just another name for natural family planning.
Unfortunately, the idea that "a woman is only fertile for a few days per month" can give people the wrong impression. In fact, sperm survive for up to a week in the woman's body, so you can have sex a whole week before ovulation and get pregnant! In practice, this means that a couple have to avoid sex for 9-10 days each cycle. (A cycle is normally 28 days). Then most couples prefer not to have sex during the woman's period, so that knocks off another 5-7 days. And then a lot of women have shorter cycles than 28 days...

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So . . . I have a choice of believing God or believing you! <giggle>
“But now, O Lord, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You our potter; and all we are the work of Your hand.” (Isaiah 64:8)
No - you have a choice of properly dividing Scripture or perverting it.
YOU chose the latter . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The use of various devices and medications is universally practiced, and even amongst Catholics, 95% use birth control.
Unsubstantiated nonsense.
If you can't prove a statistic - then don't bother presenting one . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, the idea that "a woman is only fertile for a few days per month" can give people the wrong impression. In fact, sperm survive for up to a week in the woman's body, so you can have sex a whole week before ovulation and get pregnant! In practice, this means that a couple have to avoid sex for 9-10 days each cycle. (A cycle is normally 28 days). Then most couples prefer not to have sex during the woman's period, so that knocks off another 5-7 days. And then a lot of women have shorter cycles than 28 days...
Actually, the Billings Ovulation Method, when practiced properly, is extremely accurate and is NOT to be conflated with other "rhythm" methods.

In a 12-moth study in China - The Billings Method was proven to be almost as accurate in preventing pregnancy as the Pill - with only about 2 tenths of a percentage of difference.
Effectiveness in preventing pregnancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Deborah_ So I guess what you are saying that without bc it is a very precise science, so to speak.

(While many ppl would say that condoms are far less problematic.)

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Deborah_ So I guess what you are saying that without bc it is a very precise science, so to speak.

(While many ppl would say that condoms are far less problematic.)

"bc"?

Actually, the Billings Ovulation Method, when practiced properly, is extremely accurate and is NOT to be conflated with other "rhythm" methods.

In a 12-moth study in China - The Billings Method was proven to be almost as accurate in preventing pregnancy as the Pill - with only about 2 tenths of a percentage of difference.
Effectiveness in preventing pregnancy

Well, OK, the Billings Method is a particularly prescriptive form of natural family planning. I note that even during the infertile period, the couple are allowed to have sex only on alternate days! For couples who can adhere to the strict rules, it can be a good method. But an awful lot of people struggle - and especially women with irregular cycles, or who are getting near the menopause.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, OK, the Billings Method is a particularly prescriptive form of natural family planning. I note that even during the infertile period, the couple are allowed to have sex only on alternate days! For couples who can adhere to the strict rules, it can be a good method. But an awful lot of people struggle - and especially women with irregular cycles, or who are getting near the menopause.
Once again - nothing is 100% guaranteed.

My point is that the Billings Method is virtually just as accurate as artificial contraception in preventing birth - with THREE major advantages:
1. No artificial barriers being placed before God.
2. No adverse side effects as there are with the Pill, which has been linked to breast cancer and other complications.
3. It is extremely helpful in assisting couples who are having difficulties becoming pregnant.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"bc"?

@Deborah_ Thanks.

bc = abbreviation for birth control.

Anyway this is one reason I guess a lot of ppl would find condoms far less problematic.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: With married believers and contraception, maybe it's one of those many things where Romans 14 should be the believer's guide.

R

Rita

Yes I did, not sure I want to get into the debate and open up another lot of condemnation.......I have been really busy for the last two days ......I might catch up on a few threads over the next few days x
Rita

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes I did, not sure I want to get into the debate and open up another lot of condemnation.......I have been really busy for the last two days ......I might catch up on a few threads over the next few days x
Rita
@Rita: Oh I can understand it, yes; though I guess that a lot of married Christians would not find condoms problematic; it's a Romans 14 Christian liberty issue, I would reckon.