Is it ok for a Christian to kill people?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
No one ever said war was pleasant. Sometimes the enemy hides with the innocent.

It's much better to obey God. Do you think you will receive mercy from God by being merciless and slaughtering civilians? You have no NT to back your position.

Matthew 5:7 (NASB)
[sup]7 [/sup]"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

RubberDuckey

Mar 2, 2011

Jesus told them to get swords to fulfill the prophecy.

Luke 22:36-38 (NASB)
[sup]36 [/sup]And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. [sup]37 [/sup]"For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, 'AND HE WAS NUMBERED WITH TRANSGRESSORS'; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment." [sup]38 [/sup]They said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough."

Isaiah 53:12 (NASB)
[sup]12 [/sup]Because He poured out Himself to death, And was numbered with the transgressors; Yet He Himself bore the sin of many, And interceded for the transgressors.

Jesus certainly isn't going to tell them to kill their enemies with swords after He said, Matthew 5:39 (NASB)
[sup]39 [/sup]"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person;"

You said that you would defend your wife. That is inconsistent to what you say now. If you were consistent you would not stop by force or by word for that matter.

archaeologist5

Mar 3, 2011
So you're telling me that if you walked into your house and saw a man raping your wife you wouldn't do everything in your power to stop that man even if it meant he would die?

one comment before i exit this discussion. where does it say that a husband cannot defend his wife when she is under attack? defense does not mean kill, by the way, and people really need to stop confusing their personal feelings with biblical teachings. eph. tells us that men are to love their wives as hrist loves the church, which doe smean he should be ready to defend he even if it costs him his life but it does not say they are to kill in that defense.

as i read this thread, i see a lot of confusion going on here as too many people rely upon their own interpretation and the scriptures are flying every which way as each tries to prove their position correct. i see a lot of personal feelings and no truth, no wisdom, no understanding about the issue, the topic or the scriptures being thrown in the face of each other.

you all forget that grace and forgiveness exist, if the person goes to far in their actions and do kill another but killing is something that needs to be avoided and one should really look to God onhow to act in each situation and trust that He willprovide the right direction for the correct action so that a believer does not sin or violate a command.

too often people look for excuses or justification to act sinfully and in disobedience to God's word and they will use scripture to do so. not good. one is to obey God's word correctly and not use it as a escape clause from doing what is right and correct.

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
one comment before i exit this discussion.

Just wanted so say welcome, IMO you have a very level head about defining scripture. I knew better than to get involved in this topic.
Just the same welcome and I hope you stick around.

I just missed Vietnam, have never killed anyone. And until Im right there right when I need to make that choice I realy don't know how I'll respond. My first instinct will be LORD!!!!????????

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Revelation 12:11 (NASB)
[sup]11 [/sup]"And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
What I mean Duckybill is we can all say we would this or that along with our flavor of scripture. But until your right there you really don't know. I know this to be true in less dynamic conditions as compared to killing. I would be very intersesed in hearing from a Vet that's truly born again, one that was drafted. Rather than listen to people who have never been at that cross road.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
What I mean Duckybill is we can all say we would this or that along with our flavor of scripture. But until your right there you really don't know. I know this to be true in less dynamic conditions as compared to killing. I would be very intersesed in hearing from a Vet that's truly born again, one that was drafted. Rather than listen to people who have never been at that cross road.
I've had more than one gun aimed at me and mine. God is faithful. He doesn't need guns or bombs to protect his own. Many have died armed with weapons of men. Faith in God is MUCH more powerful.

Psalm 91:7 (NASB)
[sup]7 [/sup]A thousand may fall at your side And ten thousand at your right hand, But it shall not approach you.

[sup]10 [/sup]No evil will befall you, Nor will any plague come near your tent. [sup]11 [/sup]For He will give His angels charge concerning you, To guard you in all your ways.

archaeologist5

Mar 3, 2011
Just wanted so say welcome, IMO you have a very level head about defining scripture. I knew better than to get involved in this topic.
Just the same welcome and I hope you stick around.

thank you and thank God. we shall see if i will stick around or not.

Matthew 5:39 (NASB)
[sup]39 [/sup]"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person;

taking a verse outof context and applying it to your personal beliefs doesn't mean you cannot defend your wife. especially when 1 cor. 13:7 says that love...'always protects...'

so be careful how you use scripture because God's word does NOt over-rule itself but works together with each other verse to provide a consistant and true message for the followers of God to follow.

Many have died armed with weapons of men

yet the verses do not say if those people were armed with weapons of men or that you would not be. please stop placing your personal beliefs within the passages of scripture. that is called eisegesis and it is very wrong.

http://biblia.com/bible/nasb95/Revelation 12.11

again, this verse does not prove your position and who are you to say if Jesus grants permission for other believers to be armed or not. peter was armed and Jesus said nothing about it till he used it wrongly. so be careful when you apply scripture to your pet theologies.

I just missed Vietnam, have never killed anyone. And until Im right there right when I need to make that choice I realy don't know how I'll respond. My first instinct will be LORD

so did i and now i think that if believers do not want to kill there are many places to serve in the military that allows them to avoid killimng; ie. chaplains, cooks, medics, drivers etc. though i think that saving your comrades from death would go a long way in planting seeds in their hearts for Jesus, evenif you had to kill the enemy to doit. hard to say as that is up to God to decide.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
taking a verse outof context and applying it to your personal beliefs doesn't mean you cannot defend your wife. especially when 1 cor. 13:7 says that love...'always protects...'
It's not out of context. It is perfectly clear. Context is a common excuse for unbelief.

Matthew 5:39 (NASB)
[sup]39 [/sup]"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person;
so be careful how you use scripture because God's word does NOt over-rule itself but works together with each other verse to provide a consistant and true message for the followers of God to follow.
Yes, God's Word the NT is consistent. And no Christian in the NT killed anyone for any reason. Many of them died though.
yet the verses do not say if those people were armed with weapons of men or that you would not be. please stop placing your personal beliefs within the passages of scripture. that is called eisegesis and it is very wrong.
God is faithful to we who believe His promises. We don't need to kill others. That is Satan's way. Christians are merciful.
again, this verse does not prove your position and who are you to say if Jesus grants permission for other believers to be armed or not. peter was armed and Jesus said nothing about it till he used it wrongly. so be careful when you apply scripture to your pet theologies.
I'm nobody. But Jesus doesn't give Christians permission to kill others. If you have NT proof then present it. You don't. You can find excuses to kill if you want to, but it won't fly on Judgment Day.

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011

I've had more than one gun aimed at me and mine. God is faithful. He doesn't need guns or bombs to protect his own. Many have died armed with weapons of men. Faith in God is MUCH more powerful.

Psalm 91:7 (NASB)
[sup]7 [/sup]A thousand may fall at your side And ten thousand at your right hand, But it shall not approach you.

[sup]10 [/sup]No evil will befall you, Nor will any plague come near your tent. [sup]11 [/sup]For He will give His angels charge concerning you, To guard you in all your ways.

So have I but you have never killed anyone, never been in the wife being raped situation. Or any other scenario such as being draft where you needed to make a choice regarding life or death. When someone assaults you at gun point or a knife your not in the drivers seat. Even if you have a gun as well. Walking in on a your child or wife in a life threatening assault is different plane and simple. Being drafted in war is different still. The fact is unless you've been there your talking out your u no what.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
So have I but you have never killed anyone, never been in the wife being raped situation.
God protected us as He promised.

Hebrews 13:5-6 (NASB)
[sup]5 [/sup] for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU," [sup]6 [/sup]so that we confidently say, "THE Lord IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID.
Or any other scenario such as being draft where you needed to make a choice regarding life or death. When someone assaults you at gun point or a knife your not in the drivers seat.
There are no excuses for Christians killing anyone. None. The Apostles were murdered. NT Christians were murdered. None fought back.
Even if you have a gun as well.
I don't own a gun.
Walking in on a your child or wife in a life threatening assault is different plane and simple. Being drafted in war is different still. The fact is unless you've been there your talking out your u no what.
It is so sad to see how Satan has deceived professing Christians into being afraid to trust in the living God of the Bible.

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
You know what Duckybill I haven't even said one way or the other. I've simply said your talking about how you would respond in a situation you have never been in before.

Now I find that said, that people here presume to know something about the most life changing circumstance a man could go threw with out ever having been there. It nothing but foolish talk.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
You know what Duckybill I haven't even said one way or the other. I've simply said your talking about how you would respond in a situation you have never been in before.

Now I find that said, that people here presume to know something about the most life changing circumstance a man could go threw with out ever having been there. It nothing but foolish talk.
Guess you missed some of my posts. I have been there. And God showed up like He said He would. Now whom is presuming? God has saved my life so many time's I've lost count. He doesn't need me to kill others like Satan does.