Is Jesus the Son of God....truly or metaphorically?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 11, 2016
StanJ said:
If I was I wouldn't have asked nor used please, but it is common forum ettiquette to not use red and to follow the format setup, I CAN ask the admin to get involved if that would help motivate you?

Stan, do you need a hug? I'm making this one blue just for you ;)

It's not MY Bible, it's THE Bible, and it IS the arbiter of the church. The Pope or the RCC never has been. What IS written down is all we need,
as John 20:31 confirms.

That's all you need. That's why Episcopal church teaches that baptism is necessary for salvation. And the Baptists teach it's just symbolic. And some baptize babies and others do not. And communion is symbolic in some places and Christ is actually present in others. And 1 Timothy 3:15 means something other than what it appears to mean. Right, no absolute truth, anywhere, is needed.

1 Timothy 1:3Amplified Bible (AMP)
3 As I urged you when I was on my way to Macedonia, stay on at Ephesus so that you may instruct certain individuals not to teach any different doctrines,

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
brakelite said:
Is Jesus the Son of God....truly or metaphorically?
We firstly have to use some scriptural common sense / lateral thought. Scripture says that God is love 1 John 4:8. Scripture says that the greatest act of love is lay your life down John 15:13. NOT getting some random unlucky fella for the task ^_^.

If Jesus was not God, Himself John 3:16 would not read ''For God so loved the world''. It would read ''For God found someone to love the world''.

There is a forgiveable confusion as Jesus was stripped of power. It is beyond the human mind to grasp how God of the universe can limit His omnipotence / make Himself as a lamb to the slaughter.

I believe all non trinity teaching is hence of the devil. God limiting His omnipotence on the cross and omniscience to allow for free will is evidence of God being as good as He is great. This, the devil does not want us to grasp! Because it would provoke us all to serve Him. As He is such a good God. But this is the truth that God wants us all to grasp Eph 3:18.

Jan 11, 2016
KingJ said:
We firstly have to use some scriptural common sense / lateral thought. Scripture says that God is love 1 John 4:8. Scripture says that the greatest act of love is lay your life down John 15:13. NOT getting some random unlucky fella for the task ^_^.

If Jesus was not God, Himself John 3:16 would not read ''For God so loved the world''. It would read ''For God found someone to love the world''.

There is a forgiveable confusion as Jesus was stripped of power. It is beyond the human mind to grasp how God of the universe can limit His omnipotence / make Himself as a lamb to the slaughter.

I believe all non trinity teaching is hence of the devil. God limiting His omnipotence on the cross and omniscience to allow for free will is evidence of God being as good as He is great. This, the devil does not want us to grasp! Because it would provoke us all to serve Him. As He is such a good God. But this is the truth that God wants us all to grasp Eph 3:18.
Now that is something I think we can all agree on.

Reactions: KingJ

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Veni_Creator_Spiritus said:
Stan, do you need a hug? I'm making this one blue just for you

That's all you need. That's why Episcopal church teaches that baptism is necessary for salvation. And the Baptists teach it's just symbolic. And some baptize babies and others do not. And communion is symbolic in some places and Christ is actually present in others. And 1 Timothy 3:15 means something other than what it appears to mean. Right, no absolute truth, anywhere, is needed.

1 Timothy 1:3 Amplified Bible (AMP)
As I urged you when I was on my way to Macedonia, stay on at Ephesus so that you may instruct certain individuals not to teach any different doctrines,
As I asked, please use the proper format in posting. It is NOT hard to learn or do and keeps things in order so posts can be followed.

We'll as the Bible does nit, that's their problem. BTW, so does the RCC, and so did Jean Cauvin.

Yes as Paul was inspired and was writing scriptures, we use the doctrines written down by him and his NT contemporaries, NOT the RCC.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is both truly and metaphorically the Son of God! In fact, He is the very essence of God as we read in Galatians 2:9.

For God to save a people for Himself had to become a man, suffer the wrath of God, die and rise again on behalf of mankind because it needed a God to endure/fulfill all these things (see Mt 1:23).

For a testament to be enforced the testator must first die and to prove for the testament to be in effect, (in this case, redeem a people for Himself), He had to rise again.

A metaphor/parable is an earthly story with a heavenly/spiritual meaning.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: KingJ

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
If I was I wouldn't have asked nor used please, but it is common forum ettiquette to not use red and to follow the format setup, I CAN ask the admin to get involved if that would help motivate you?

Stan, do you need a hug? I'm making this one blue just for you ;)

It's not MY Bible, it's THE Bible, and it IS the arbiter of the church. The Pope or the RCC never has been. What IS written down is all we need,
as John 20:31 confirms.

1 Timothy 1:3Amplified Bible (AMP)
3 As I urged you when I was on my way to Macedonia, stay on at Ephesus so that you may instruct certain individuals not to teach any different doctrines,
Spiritus, you aren't the only one who posts like that. I've seen a couple of others do it, too. If there's a rule about it, I'm not aware of it, either.
And you're new. Stan ought to cut you a bit of slack, while you learn the ropes.
I'm not sure how other people do it, but I use cut and paste...it works for me. If you like, I'll show you how...all you have to do, my friend, is ask...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Spiritus, you aren't the only one who posts like that. I've seen a couple of others do it, too. If there's a rule about it, I'm not aware of it, either.
And you're new. Stan ought to cut you a bit of slack, while you learn the ropes.
I'm not sure how other people do it, but I use cut and paste...it works for me. If you like, I'll show you how...all you have to do, my friend, is ask...
I was cutting him slack, I ASKED nicely with PLEASE. If people don't know I have always helped IF they ask. That is done by PM. Reactive responses do not engender ANY slack.

B

brakelite

Hi V-C-S. You have said, and you may correct me if I am wrong, that the church is the pillar and foundation of truth.

Hi friend, I didn't say it, the bible did. 1 Timothy 3:15

Now like I said, if I am taking you too literally, correct me by all means. But if my understanding on what you have said is correct, then I must disagree. The pillars and foundations of our faith is not the church.

1 Timothy 3:15 bible disagrees with you. I care only about truth, not contrary opinions of it.

It is Truth itself...or even better...it is Truth Himself. When Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no man cometh to the Father except by Me",

All that is true

He was not referencing the church.

Why do you separate Him from the church when he did not? Acts 9:4. Again, I care about Truth, not opinions.

I posted some time back a teaching of Catholicism in relation to scripture. It helps explain my surprise that you, a catholic, is so free in quoting it.

I know a lot of Catholics that love and quote scripture regularly. I think maybe you have been exposed to a different kind of Catholic church? My parish is charismatic Catholic and Spirit filled.

The teaching that is held even to this day, is that the scripture (That is, truth) is not for the individual catholic the foundation of their faith. For the Protestant yes, but you are correct in that the church, for the catholic, is their foundation.

Here's the thing, we had a church without a bible. But we have never had a bible without a church. And you are trusting in a source outside the bible for your faith, whether you actually realize it or not. There's no book inside the bible telling you what books are inspired. It's the church that told us that, inspired by the Holy Spirit.

That my friend is a fundamental difference between Rome and the rest of the world. It is why there really can be no real union between Catholicism and Protestantism, without one side or the other compromising its own foundation for belief and practice, and why I personally am so against ecumenism knowing that it will never be Rome that compromises

I think you guys have fractured into many thousands of denominations so there will never be unity of any sort. And this is still painful for me as a former protestant as I consider you brothers and sisters in the Lord and I think it leaves a horrible stain on Christendom

It is also why debates on Truth and doctrine between catholics and protestants can be so frustrating...because each participant in such discussions are coming from completely different perspectives on how to ascertain what i truth. The catholic decides on what is truth on what the church decides the scripture is saying. The protestant decides what is truth as a result of what he reads and believes in his heart according to conscience.

Let's see, 35,000 denominations and counting...estimated 5 new denominations start each week. All reading the same bible, all claiming to be guided by the Holy Spirit, yet all interpreting it differently(some slightly, some majorly). Do you not see a problem with that? The Spirit is not the author of confusion my friend.

And the book of Revelation describes that church. They have come out of Babylon, because Babylon has fallen. "Here are they that keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.
That church, not only will they be united in Truth, will have a number of other characteristics also. They will be small...(a remnant church...they will be the few on the narrow road). They will be unpopular...even with the other churches. (they are the ones Satan really really hates, and he will use even other Christians to persecute and malign their teachings...the time will come when you will be killed by those who believe they are serving God). They will be eagerly teaching about and waiting in expectation to the second coming. 2 Timothy 4:8. They will be a prophetic church.(For the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of prophecy Revel. 12:17; 19:10) And finally, they will be teaching the 3 angels messages of Revel. 14:6-12, and by doing so revealing the true nature and identity of the Antichrist...warning against the mark of the beast...proclaiming the arrival of God's judgement...practicing and teaching true worship...and doing so world wide. Though small, it will be a global church.

On one other note. You have said that Jesus' testimony that the gates of hell shall not prevail against the church is evidence that the RCC must be the true church. You need to study history friend. Outside of Rome...from Britain to Seres (China), from Ethiopia to Scandinavia, from Persia, India, and beyond to Vietnam and the Philipines...the gospel of Jesus Christ had been preached and established churches were growing and sending their own missionaries back to Europe before Rome began sending missionaries anywhere. The gates of hell did not prevail against the church...though put down and destroyed in one place, God raised up a standard of righteousness elsewhere. Rome, through paganism, fell way from the truth , the gates of hell did indeed prevail against that portion of the church. But will never prevail against all of God's people. There has always been a remnant who refuse to bow their knees to Baal.

I've studied history and I would recommend others to not study it unless you want to convert to Catholicism or the Orthodox church lol. I know protestants who think John the Baptist started the baptist church and others think Paul was the president of the Methodist church lol. To be deep in history is to cease to be protestant.

I actually started my quest trying to expose Rome as a false religion full of paganism. What I found is there are actually many misconceptions about the church and there are many scriptures I as a protestant was overlooking that made no sense in my theology. Again, I think many protestant churches bear much fruit and do good in this world. I saw it with my own eyes, but there are downsides that protestants fail to see because they simply don't want to see it, imo. Or maybe they are too busy bashing Rome to see it...

And to be clear, I'm mainly here for fellowship and talking theological viewpoints not trying to convert you folks or something. There are hardliners on both sides but I'm not one of them .God is our judge, not men, so I'll leave that to Him.

God bless.
Hi. Okay, I repent. You are right, the church according to Paul is the pillar and foundation of truth. Can't argue with scripture can we? Although it does add a caveat...it is the church of the living God. Which naturally begs the question...which church is that which can be described as belonging to the living God? Would it not be that church which keeps the commandments of God and has the testimony of Jesus, or Spirit of prophecy as per Revelation 12:17? As well as having the faith of Jesus as per Revelation 14:12?

My exposure to Catholicism was a full one third of my life from birth to new birth in 1976. The Bible in those days to the Catholic was held with great suspicion and at least at arms length. It was never used in religious instruction at school, although the stories were...but the stories were not taken from the Bible but from rewritten Catholic sourced materials with the imprimatur firmly attached.
Remember, just 60 years before I was born the Bible was on the official Vatican list of forbidden books. So like I said previously, times have, in one sense, changed. But i another, I would suggest that you personally do not go to the scripture to discover Truth. You will have already accepted "truth" from the magisterium, and you then go to the Bible to meditate and become sanctified. I know that if you discover a Truth in scripture which contradicts that which you have been taught by the church, the church will be right, and your interpretation of scripture wrong. Every time. Regardless of the topic in question. And regardless of whether you are 'Spirit filled' and 'charismatic'. That is where 1 Tim.3:15 would differ from what you understand it as saying. As the foundation and pillar of truth, it does not intimate that the church has authority over the scripture, or over the individuals conscience. The church stands on the scripture as her foundation. She does not take her bias to the Bible, but allows the Bible to change her bias. Rome has completely overstepped her bounds...she has not only claimed authority over the interpretation of scripture, but has taken to herself the authority to even change scripture to suit her own ends. I cite the changes in the Ten Commandments from scripture as to the version of the same found in the catechism.

As to Protestantism. I agree with you on the fractionated state of the Protestant churches. Every one having their own bias and understanding, some agreeing on the essentials, most disagreeing on the peripherals, many disagreeing even on the essentials. This was not what God ntended. Nor waa it what the reformers intended. At least not Luther. He had no intention of starting a new church. He, like most other reformers, were precisely that. Reformers. They, for the most part, were Catholic priests. They loved their church. It was their love for their church that they wanted reform. They wanted the sin , the licentiousness, the depravity, the falsehoods and superstitions purged from the only church they knew, and have her return to the foundations of faith found in the scriptures as handed down from the apostles. The church however refused to repent, and went deeper into apostasy by persecuting and putting to death many of those who protested truth. The new churches started as of necessity. And then they began to persecute one another. They didn't totally come out of their Roman roots, cleaving to many false teachings, particularly in the area of religious liberty. That particular enlightened stance did not come until the new world with the formation of Rhode Is. I am sure you know the story. But Protestantism today is no longer true Protestantism. It has gone into apostasy along with the mother church. Returning to mother, they both now are forming Babylon the Great, a church of confusion and fast becoming that final apostate church of Revelation which is a combination of church and state lording it over the consciences of men and implementing the final death decree for those who refuse the mark.

History is an interesting beast. The version you believe in depends on whether you accept that version written by the victor to justify her excesses or that version that survived the burnings of the losers. The true history is to be found in that which best parallels Bible prophecy. Particularly those prophecies found in Daniel 2, 7 and 8, and Revelation 12, 13. If I had known the true history of Rome as a child I would have run away from that church as a child. Call me a hardliner if you like. However, allow me to make it clear, I have no axe to grind against any individual member of the Roman church. But the system, now that is another matter altogether.

B

brakelite

KingJ said:

All that I can agree to. I have no argument, as I have repeatedly said, with the established fact that Jesus, because He is the only begotten Son of the Living God, is Himself therefore God.

KingJ said:
My current doubt over the trinity does not remove in one jot or tittle my faith in the reality of the deity of Christ. Nor does it mean God isn't good...on the contrary, it glorifies the Father to an even greater extent for His most gracious and precious gift...His only begotten Son.
What folks do not realize is that because the deity of Christ was conferred upon Him by His Father, if Christ had sinned in even the slightest, Jesus would never have risen from the tomb. His divinity, His humanity, would have perished. And the human race would have also been lost forever. The Father would have remained in control of the remaining unfallen worlds, and mourned the passing of His Son for eternity. The risk that Jesus took was infinite. The love that they both revealed at Calvary was infinite...and they both agreed before the foundation of the world that man was worth that risk. Thanks and praise be to God for His love! What love!!!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kiss the Son, lest He be angry, And you perish in the way, When His wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him. Psalm 2:12

Who has ascended into heaven, or descended? Who has gathered the wind in His fists? Who has bound the waters in a garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name, and what is His Son’s name, If you know? Proverbs 30:4

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
This is bull pucky. The majority of Greek scholars translate it the way the NIV does, and trying to show what it literally translates as, without proper equivalence, is to say the least dishonest. As a bilingual person, I know from experience that languages CANNOT be translated word for word. ANY linguist will attest to that, and they don't need to be Biblical scholars. Mounce, Moo and Wall7ace, just to name a few preeminent modern Greek scholars, show it the way it is PROPERLY rendered. We'll stick with them thank you.
You make a statement but provides no evidence, saying that "the majority of Greek scholars translate it the way the NIV does, and trying to show what it literally translates as, without proper equivalence, is to say the least dishonest". Do they ? Is it being dishonest to provide a literal rendition for all to see or is it being dishonest to rewrite the Bible in order to fit it into one's belief, like forcing a square peg in a round hole ?

By supplying the literal reading into English provides insight into what was originally written, rather than guessing at what was wrote down. This could not be any plainer, but as has been mentioned before, some will continue to argue instead of using reason, logic and clear evidence, such as grasping that the apostle John wrote that "no man has seen God at any time".(1 John 4:12)

So how could Jesus be God and yet this one sentence be accurate, because multitudes saw and heard Jesus. How could Jesus be God and yet be "in the bosom of the Father" ? Since when does God need to be in his own bosom ? And also, how could Jesus be God and yet be called "the only-begotten god" ? To beget someone means to fathered by someone. Hence, how could Jesus be God and yet have a Father ? (see John 20:17; 1 Cor 1:3; 2 Cor 1:3) But how many reason on this ? Very few.

The evidence was provided to show that the earliest Greek manuscripts, the Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus of the 4th century C.E., does not read as the NIV reads of John 1:18. However, by the 5th century, alterations to Bible texts were now being done, which includes the Codex Alexandrinus. The Trinity has such a stranglehold on individuals that they have stooped to dishonesty in rendering certain passages to read so as to support it.

It's called tampering, adding or changing words to fit their theological view, not Bible truth. In fact, the Trinity has had such overwhelming power that almost 500 years ago, anyone who dared challenged the Trinity was often burned on the stake, such as Spaniard Michael Servetus (1511-1553 C.E.), a respected doctor.

Let's just see how some Bibles render John 1:18. The King James Bible reads: "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.". The American Standard Version reads: "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."

Young's Literal Translation reads: "God no one hath ever seen; the only begotten Son, who is on the bosom of the Father - he did declare." Darby's Bible reads: "No one has seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, *he* hath declared him."

Weymouth's New Testament reads: "No human eye has ever seen God: the only Son, who is in the Father's bosom - He has made Him known." Webster's Bible reads: "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him]."

International Standard Version reads: "No one has ever seen God. The unique God, who is close to the Father's side, has revealed him." Douay-Rheims Bible reads: "No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him". English Revised Version reads: "No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him".

Jason David BeDuhn, professor of religious studies at Northern Arizona University, who is a renowned Greek scholar, said that "no two languages are identical in structure (grammar) or vocabulary. This is equally true between New Testament Greek and modern English. Therefore, every translation must make some accommodation to the differences between two languages. In the case of the New Testament, the translation is biased if those accommodations are used to promote a particular doctrinal viewpoint. For example, the Greek used in the original New Testament did not use lower case letters, whereas English uses both upper and lower case letters. The original manuscripts (autographs) therefore did not make a distinction between "God" and "god" or between "Spirit" and "spirit". A translation may introduce a theological bias in its use of capitalized English words since the use (or absence) of a capital letter may be the difference between an inanimate object and person. Bias can also be introduced when difficult Greek sentences are interpreted for the English reader or when English words are added which are not found in the Greek text".

The oldest Greek manuscripts read "only-begotten god", not "only-begotten Son". Hence, Jesus Christ as "the Word was with God, and the Word was a god" and not "God himself ".(John 1:1)

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Guestman said:
You make a statement but provides no evidence, saying that "the majority of Greek scholars translate it the way the NIV does, and trying to show what it literally translates as, without proper equivalence, is to say the least dishonest". Do they ? Is it being dishonest to provide a literal rendition for all to see or is it being dishonest to rewrite the Bible in order to fit it into one's belief, like forcing a square peg in a round hole ?

By supplying the literal reading into English provides insight into what was originally written, rather than guessing at what was wrote down. This could not be any plainer, but as has been mentioned before, some will continue to argue instead of using reason, logic and clear evidence, such as grasping that the apostle John wrote that "no man has seen God at any time".(1 John 4:12)

So how could Jesus be God and yet this one sentence be accurate, because multitudes saw and heard Jesus. How could Jesus be God and yet be "in the bosom of the Father" ? Since when does God need to be in his own bosom ? And also, how could Jesus be God and yet be called "the only-begotten god" ? To beget someone means to fathered by someone. Hence, how could Jesus be God and yet have a Father ? (see John 20:17; 1 Cor 1:3; 2 Cor 1:3) But how many reason on this ? Very few.

The evidence was provided to show that the earliest Greek manuscripts, the Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus of the 4th century C.E., does not read as the NIV reads of John 1:18. However, by the 5th century, alterations to Bible texts were now being done, which includes the Codex Alexandrinus. The Trinity has such a stranglehold on individuals that they have stooped to dishonesty in rendering certain passages to read so as to support it.

It's called tampering, adding or changing words to fit their theological view, not Bible truth. In fact, the Trinity has had such overwhelming power that almost 500 years ago, anyone who dared challenged the Trinity was often burned on the stake, such as Spaniard Michael Servetus (1511-1553 C.E.), a respected doctor.

Let's just see how some Bibles render John 1:18. The King James Bible reads: "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.". The American Standard Version reads: "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."

Young's Literal Translation reads: "God no one hath ever seen; the only begotten Son, who is on the bosom of the Father - he did declare." Darby's Bible reads: "No one has seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, *he* hath declared him."

Weymouth's New Testament reads: "No human eye has ever seen God: the only Son, who is in the Father's bosom - He has made Him known." Webster's Bible reads: "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him]."

International Standard Version reads: "No one has ever seen God. The unique God, who is close to the Father's side, has revealed him." Douay-Rheims Bible reads: "No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him". English Revised Version reads: "No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him".

Jason David BeDuhn, professor of religious studies at Northern Arizona University, who is a renowned Greek scholar, said that "no two languages are identical in structure (grammar) or vocabulary. This is equally true between New Testament Greek and modern English. Therefore, every translation must make some accommodation to the differences between two languages. In the case of the New Testament, the translation is biased if those accommodations are used to promote a particular doctrinal viewpoint. For example, the Greek used in the original New Testament did not use lower case letters, whereas English uses both upper and lower case letters. The original manuscripts (autographs) therefore did not make a distinction between "God" and "god" or between "Spirit" and "spirit". A translation may introduce a theological bias in its use of capitalized English words since the use (or absence) of a capital letter may be the difference between an inanimate object and person. Bias can also be introduced when difficult Greek sentences are interpreted for the English reader or when English words are added which are not found in the Greek text".

The oldest Greek manuscripts read "only-begotten god", not "only-begotten Son". Hence, Jesus Christ as "the Word was with God, and the Word was a god" and not "God himself ".(John 1:1)
That is JW heresy. Are you JW? Mounce, his son, Moo, Wallace and the VAST MAJORITY of recognized Greek scholars confirm the rendering as the NIV shows it.
The Koine Greek, IS properly rendered in many modern English translations. I challenge you to SHOW/CITE which Greek manuscript renders it as 'a god' or 'only begotten god'.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Michael V Pardo said:
Yashua (Joshua) son of Nun: translates at Yah our savior (or salvation) son of perpetuity (eternity)
Actually yehôshûa means 'God is salvation', not what you assert above. This is not the same as yeshua, which is Jesus. The fact is Jesus comes from the Greek word Iησοῦς (eeaysoos) so it has no Hebrew equivalent. We know for sure that JESUS WAS Immanuel, which means "God with us".

What many fail to keep in mind, is that Jesus ushered in the NEW Covenant, which was a NEW way to bring about salvation, not in keeping with the OLD Covenant way of doing things, which Jesus made obsolete. Heb 8:13

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Actually yehôshûa means 'God is salvation', not what you assert above. This is not the same as yeshua, which is Jesus. The fact is Jesus comes from the Greek word Iησοῦς (eeaysoos) so it has no Hebrew equivalent. We know for sure that JESUS WAS Immanuel, which means "God with us".

What many fail to keep in mind, is that Jesus ushered in the NEW Covenant, which was a NEW way to bring about salvation, not in keeping with the OLD Covenant way of doing things, which Jesus made obsolete. Heb 8:13
Yehoshua is one variant of the name Joshua and I'll admit that I have no idea why there should be more than one version of the same name (though I suspect that they aren't the same name and have subtle implications built into the variation), but this I know, the Messiah predicted in the Old Testament was predicted to have the name Joshua and if you accept the fact that Jesus really is the Messiah then either His given name was Joshua, or God made a mistake. So my question to you is, does God make mistakes?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Guestman said:
Guestman,

I read and teach NT Greek and that is not my understanding of the Greek text of John 1:1.

A T Robertson's, Word Pictures in the New Testament explains the grammar accurately:

And the Word was God ( kai theos ēn ho logos). By exact and careful language John denied Sabellianism by not saying ho theos ēn ho logos. That would mean that all of God was expressed in ho logos and the terms would be interchangeable, each having the article. The subject is made plain by the article (ho logos) and the predicate without it (theos) just as in John 4:24 pneuma ho theos can only mean “God is spirit,” not “spirit is God.” So in 1 John 4:16 ho theos agapē estin can only mean “God is love,” not “love is God” as a so-called Christian scientist would confusedly say. For the article with the predicate see Robertson, Grammar, pp. 767f [Robertson 1934:767f]. So in John 1:14 ho Logos sarx egeneto “the Word became flesh,” not “the flesh became Word.” Luther argues that here John disposes of Arianism also because the Logos was eternally God, fellowship of Father and Son, what Origen called the Eternal Generation of the Son (each necessary to the other). Thus in the Trinity we see personal fellowship on an equality (Robertson 1932:4-5).
Therefore, the translation, 'The Word was a god', is an incorrect translation, based on the Greek grammar.

Oz

Works consulted

Robertson, A T 1932. Word Pictures in the New Testament, vol 5, The Fourth Gospel and Epistle to the Hebrews. Nashville, Tennessee: Broadman Press.

Robertson, A T 1934. A Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research. Nashville, Tennessee: Broadman Press.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Michael V Pardo said:
Yehoshua is one variant of the name Joshua and I'll admit that I have no idea why there should be more than one version of the same name (though I suspect that they aren't the same name and have subtle implications built into the variation), but this I know, the Messiah predicted in the Old Testament was predicted to have the name Joshua and if you accept the fact that Jesus really is the Messiah then either His given name was Joshua, or God made a mistake. So my question to you is, does God make mistakes?
I've already explained this Michael. Your POV is flawed. Read over my responses. There are subtle differences, but nevertheless, different!
God has never made a mistake, so obviously the error is in your perception.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I've already explained this Michael. Your POV is flawed. Read over my responses. There are subtle differences, but nevertheless, different!
God has never made a mistake, so obviously the error is in your perception.
Stan, if you say so, then it certainly must be true. My understanding comes from the Holy Spirit, as I've never trusted what comes from today's version of "biblical scholarship", but perhaps it's God's intent to set me up for a fall. Sure, I believe that (not.)
I've actually taken the time to read over your responses, but they remain non-arguments, vague at best, insulting at worst. I've noticed that you've had run ins with a number of genuinely bright scholars on these forums, and that from those times their posts have dwindled or disappeared completely, but when they understand that it's your opposition that validates their ministry, they'll probably come back. Praise God for His faithfulness to bring adversarial relationships to the church to demonstrate whom He has approved.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Michael V Pardo said:
Stan, if you say so, then it certainly must be true. My understanding comes from the Holy Spirit, as I've never trusted what comes from today's version of "biblical scholarship", but perhaps it's God's intent to set me up for a fall. Sure, I believe that (not.)
I've actually taken the time to read over your responses, but they remain non-arguments, vague at best, insulting at worst. I've noticed that you've had run ins with a number of genuinely bright scholars on these forums, and that from those times their posts have dwindled or disappeared completely, but when they understand that it's your opposition that validates their ministry, they'll probably come back. Praise God for His faithfulness to bring adversarial relationships to the church to demonstrate whom He has approved.
Well, listening to voices in your head without testing them by the filter of God's written word is a big problem for many. If the word of God refutes your 'voice', then that's the end of it and you should submit to it. How EXACTLY are you texting this spirit that tells you things?
All you are doing here is making self serving, self righteous brags, that do nothing but undermine your credibility.
I suggest you read Isaiah 55:11 and contemplate on it.