Is knowing what death is a comfort?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No those who have done evil are resurrected to damnation, never again will they be a complete living soul. Those who have done good are resurrected in immortal incorruptible bodies of flesh, and reunited with our eternal spirit to be complete living soul once again, and they will live forever on the new earth.
We disagree RW.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only those who have done good resurrected to immortal and incorruptible life again. If Christ had not given His life for the propitiation of sin, NO HUMAN would have immortal life. We would all be bodily resurrected to shame and damnation.
We disagree Rw.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually it is the same thing in this case Rw, Ps 146:4 shows when that breath of life goes out, we die. And that is referring to the life force, what was given Adam.

I am going to side with the Bible on this one sir, the dead know nothing, and their hope is the resurrection, at that point they will be brought back to life. satan said you would not die, Jehovah said you will, I side with Jehovah RW.
And what then of this?

Joh 11:25Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
Joh 11:26And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Cady and Zoe. I would imagine that is because you are unaware of what death is. The Bible actually states the day of one's death is better than their birth Ecc 7:1. I know that sounds strange, but not to those who know what death is.
How is that comforting? It isn't.
Likely you believe we are on the verge of the great tribulation, and realize that is going to be the most horrific time in history to be alive. Since the Bible points out that the dead know nothing, and that they will rise in the resurrection, to those who have died their resurrection will seem instantaneous. Can you imagine how great that will be? In what seems to be an instant, you will wake up in the Kingdom of God. We all, including you, have prayed for that Kingdom to come. It not only is the theme of the Bible, but the desire of every Christian to have their part in God's Kingdom.
You aren't arguing for death; you are arguing for life.
There is nothing comforting about death.
The idea of resurrection, on the other hand, might be comforting if only one knew for certain that he or she will be resurrected. If a promise of life isn't guaranteed to me personally, then it is cold comfort indeed.
If it isn't true about me personally, then those who hope are either delusional or deceived.

The gospel of resurrection, in and of itself is no comfort. Only those assured of the promise can find comfort there.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what then of this?

Joh 11:25Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
Joh 11:26And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
Jesus said that Amad for sure, and everyone that heard him say that is dead, that too is a fact. So we can deduce that either Jesus was wrong, or that he meant something else by that. Since you and I believe he was not wrong, what could he mean? See if this explanation fits: We believe that Jesus is not suggesting that his disciples then alive will never die. Even he must die, as he has told his apostles. (Matthew 16:21; 17:22, 23) Jesus is stressing that exercising faith in him can lead to everlasting life. For many, such life will be gained through a resurrection. However, faithful ones alive at the end of this system may never have to die at all Rev 7:9,14. In either case, everyone who exercises faith in him can be sure of never facing permanent death.

Consider too, that if Jesus meant that his followers would never die, then why did he also teach that righteous ones would need a resurrection Jn 5:28; Acts 24:15.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The idea of resurrection, on the other hand, might be comforting if only one knew for certain that he or she will be resurrected. If a promise of life isn't guaranteed to me personally, then it is cold comfort indeed.
If it isn't true about me personally, then those who hope are either delusional or deceived.

The gospel of resurrection, in and of itself is no comfort. Only those assured of the promise can find comfort there.
Job said and God inspired Moses to pen:
(Job 14:1) . . .“Man, born of woman, Is short-lived and glutted with agitation.

It may be true that you are living an ecstatic life now, but at some point you will most likely come to the decision you would welcome death. I think you are aware of the promises God offers us, but again I think you are unaware that you know what death is, because if you die right now, it will only seem like you had just walked right into God's gift. No matter how long you have been in the grave prior to your resurrection, you are conscious of nothing, and that includes time.

Yes, I agree, the real life, the gift God gives that us never ending. Fear not the resurrection Cady and Zoe, because only a few will not be resurrected, and likely you are aware of Jesus' words concerning them:
(Matthew 12:31, 32) . . .I say to you, every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven. 32 For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come.

Those are the only ones who will not be resurrected. Perhaps you wonder have I done that? It is quite hard to do, I may be wrong in my understanding, but here is how I define it, you have to know God and work against His purposes. There is an example in the Bible of those who committed it and have no redemption: (Hebrews 6:4-6) . . .as regards those who were once enlightened and who have tasted the heavenly free gift and who have become partakers of holy spirit 5 and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, 6 but have fallen away, it is impossible to revive them again to repentance, because they nail the Son of God to the stake again for themselves and expose him to public shame.

I hope that helps. Only a minute few will not be resurrected.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said that Amad for sure, and everyone that heard him say that is dead, that too is a fact. So we can deduce that either Jesus was wrong, or that he meant something else by that. Since you and I believe he was not wrong, what could he mean? See if this explanation fits: We believe that Jesus is not suggesting that his disciples then alive will never die. Even he must die, as he has told his apostles. (Matthew 16:21; 17:22, 23) Jesus is stressing that exercising faith in him can lead to everlasting life. For many, such life will be gained through a resurrection. However, faithful ones alive at the end of this system may never have to die at all Rev 7:9,14. In either case, everyone who exercises faith in him can be sure of never facing permanent death.

Consider too, that if Jesus meant that his followers would never die, then why did he also teach that righteous ones would need a resurrection Jn 5:28; Acts 24:15.
Where is Life my friend, but in that which Jesus brought? Before he did so everyone was dead to God even though they acted and spoke as if they were alive. After Adam and Eve disobeyed God they and all of their offspring were all dead to God. They had hope and spots of Light but no real continuing Life. Jesus brought that and a few among the many walking dead have taken hold of it. This is what I believe!

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10

Reactions: rwb

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job said and God inspired Moses to pen:
(Job 14:1) . . .“Man, born of woman, Is short-lived and glutted with agitation.

It may be true that you are living an ecstatic life now, but at some point you will most likely come to the decision you would welcome death. I think you are aware of the promises God offers us, but again I think you are unaware that you know what death is, because if you die right now, it will only seem like you had just walked right into God's gift. No matter how long you have been in the grave prior to your resurrection, you are conscious of nothing, and that includes time.

Yes, I agree, the real life, the gift God gives that us never ending. Fear not the resurrection Cady and Zoe, because only a few will not be resurrected, and likely you are aware of Jesus' words concerning them:
(Matthew 12:31, 32) . . .I say to you, every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven. 32 For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come.

Those are the only ones who will not be resurrected. Perhaps you wonder have I done that? It is quite hard to do, I may be wrong in my understanding, but here is how I define it, you have to know God and work against His purposes. There is an example in the Bible of those who committed it and have no redemption: (Hebrews 6:4-6) . . .as regards those who were once enlightened and who have tasted the heavenly free gift and who have become partakers of holy spirit 5 and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, 6 but have fallen away, it is impossible to revive them again to repentance, because they nail the Son of God to the stake again for themselves and expose him to public shame.

I hope that helps. Only a minute few will not be resurrected.
You are not listening. We can continue if you listen more carefully.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is Life my friend, but in that which Jesus brought? Before he did so everyone was dead to God even though they acted and spoke as if they were alive. After Adam and Eve disobeyed God they and all of their offspring were all dead to God. They had hope and spots of Light but no real continuing Life. Jesus brought that and a few among the many walking dead have taken hold of it. This is what I believe!

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10
(1 Timothy 6:17-19) . . .rest their hope, not on uncertain riches, but on God, who furnishes us all things richly for our enjoyment; 18 to work at good, to be rich in fine works, to be liberal, ready to share, 19 safely treasuring up for themselves a fine foundation for the future, in order that they may get a firm hold on the real life. . .

(Luke 16:9) “Also, I say to YOU, Make friends for yourselves by means of the unrighteous riches, so that, when such fail, they may receive YOU into the everlasting dwelling places.

(Matthew 25:34) “Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, YOU who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for YOU from the founding of the world.

(John 14:2) In the house of my Father there are many abodes. Otherwise, I would have told YOU, because I am going my way to prepare a place for YOU.

Reactions: amadeus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not listening. We can continue if you listen more carefully.
(John 8:46, 47) . . .If I speak truth, why is it that you do not believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. . . .

(Matthew 10:14) . . .Wherever anyone does not take YOU in or listen to YOUR words, on going out of that house or that city shake the dust off YOUR feet.

(1 John 4:6) . . .We originate with God. He that gains the knowledge of God listens to us; he that does not originate with God does not listen to us.. . .

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(John 8:46, 47) . . .If I speak truth, why is it that you do not believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. . . .

(Matthew 10:14) . . .Wherever anyone does not take YOU in or listen to YOUR words, on going out of that house or that city shake the dust off YOUR feet.

(1 John 4:6) . . .We originate with God. He that gains the knowledge of God listens to us; he that does not originate with God does not listen to us.. . .
You are not gaining comfort from knowing the nature of death. You are gaining comfort from knowing that God grants life. There is a difference. There is nothing comforting about death as such.

Review the book of Ecclesiastes. In that book, Solomon rightly argues that death, per se, robs life if meaning, because, as he says, both the wise man and the fool end up in the grave. The good and the bad end up in the grave. Both those who love and those who hate end up in the grave. In other words, considering death alone, what difference does it make whether or not one is wise or foolish, good or bad, moral or immoral, a savor or a spender? There is nothing comforting about death, per se. Death is the bad news and Solomon makes his case for why death is not a good thing.

Jesus brings the good news: he will conquer death and therefore he will render all lives meaningful.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not gaining comfort from knowing the nature of death. You are gaining comfort from knowing that God grants life. There is a difference. There is nothing comforting about death as such.

Review the book of Ecclesiastes. In that book, Solomon rightly argues that death, per se, robs life if meaning, because, as he says, both the wise man and the fool end up in the grave. The good and the bad end up in the grave. Both those who love and those who hate end up in the grave. In other words, considering death alone, what difference does it make whether or not one is wise or foolish, good or bad, moral or immoral, a savor or a spender? There is nothing comforting about death, per se. Death is the bad news and Solomon makes his case for why death is not a good thing.

Jesus brings the good news: he will conquer death and therefore he will render all lives meaningful.
Ec 7:1 . . .the day of death, than the day of one`s birth.

Ro 6:7 for he that hath died is justified from sin.

Ec 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 As well their love, as their hatred and their envy, is perished long ago; neither have they any more a portion for ever in anything that is done under the sun.

Ec 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do [it] with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in Sheol, whither thou goest.