Is knowing what death is a comfort?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We mourn when a loved one dies, even Jesus gave way to tears, even though he knew he was going to bring his friend Lazarus back from death. Jesus in speaking about his death compared it to sleep with his apostles. A person who is in a deep sleep is not conscious of their surroundings, and those who have died are not conscious either, they do not feel pain, they do not feel lonely, and cannot interact with anything. Time comes to a standstill with them. Ecc 9:5 says of the dead: The dead know not any thing KJV.

The truth sets us free Jesus said, so how do we benefit from knowing the condition of the dead? Some cultures try to appease the dead thinking they can harm us, but we Christians are set free from that. Some religions teach that they are kept alive and might be undergoing torture, but again they simply are dead, not conscious of anything. Some believe you can communicate with the dead, but in reality if we successfully conjure up the dead, it is not those dead loved ones, rather demons, and Jehovah warns us about that Deut 18:10-12.

What is a real comfort to us that perhaps realize our time is close is that Romans 6:7 brings out that when we die we are acquitted of sin, and John 5:28, 29 points out that everyone who is in God's memory, and that includes all who have not sinned against the holy spirit, (another topic, but very few have this judgment) will be brought back to life in the resurrection. Another great point, even if a thousand years pass, to that individual it will be instantaneous, as they are no longer conscious of time either, just like waking up in the morning, only to a wonderful new world. Isn't this good news really a comfort?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We mourn when a loved one dies, even Jesus gave way to tears, even though he knew he was going to bring his friend Lazarus back from death. Jesus in speaking about his death compared it to sleep with his apostles. A person who is in a deep sleep is not conscious of their surroundings, and those who have died are not conscious either, they do not feel pain, they do not feel lonely, and cannot interact with anything. Time comes to a standstill with them. Ecc 9:5 says of the dead: The dead know not any thing KJV.

The truth sets us free Jesus said, so how do we benefit from knowing the condition of the dead? Some cultures try to appease the dead thinking they can harm us, but we Christians are set free from that. Some religions teach that they are kept alive and might be undergoing torture, but again they simply are dead, not conscious of anything. Some believe you can communicate with the dead, but in reality if we successfully conjure up the dead, it is not those dead loved ones, rather demons, and Jehovah warns us about that Deut 18:10-12.

What is a real comfort to us that perhaps realize our time is close is that Romans 6:7 brings out that when we die we are acquitted of sin, and John 5:28, 29 points out that everyone who is in God's memory, and that includes all who have not sinned against the holy spirit, (another topic, but very few have this judgment) will be brought back to life in the resurrection. Another great point, even if a thousand years pass, to that individual it will be instantaneous, as they are no longer conscious of time either, just like waking up in the morning, only to a wonderful new world. Isn't this good news really a comfort?

Mark 12:26-27

"And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?

He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err."

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So in your belief, people stay dead until a certain time passes then they are resurrected, Robert?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So in your belief, people stay dead until a certain time passes then they are resurrected, Robert

So in your belief, people stay dead until a certain time passes then they are resurrected, Robert?

The JW's are one of the major teachers of soul sleep, as you can see from the words of Christ this is unbiblical.

They misunderstand Solomon when he says, "the dead know nothing." They don't realize that he is speaking of earthy involvement.

The dead whether saved or unsaved know nothing anymore of this world. They mistake this as they mistake almost everything in Scripture.

Not trying to be rude, just stating a fact!

Dec 2, 2022
Vermont
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Samuel 7-25 a.kj.v.

Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at En-dor. 8 And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee. 9 And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die? 10 And Saul sware to her by the Lord, saying, As the Lord liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing. 11 Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel. 12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul. 13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth. 14 And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.

15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do. 16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy? 17 And the Lord hath done to him, as he spake by me: for the Lord hath rent the kingdom out of thine hand, and given it to thy neighbour, even to David: 18 because thou obeyedst not the voice of the Lord, nor executedst his fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore hath the Lord done this thing unto thee this day. 19 Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me: the Lord also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines. 20 Then Saul fell straightway all along on the earth, and was sore afraid, because of the words of Samuel: and there was no strength in him; for he had eaten no bread all the day, nor all the night.

21 And the woman came unto Saul, and saw that he was sore troubled, and said unto him, Behold, thine handmaid hath obeyed thy voice, and I have put my life in my hand, and have hearkened unto thy words which thou spakest unto me. 22 Now therefore, I pray thee, hearken thou also unto the voice of thine handmaid, and let me set a morsel of bread before thee; and eat, that thou mayest have strength, when thou goest on thy way. 23 But he refused, and said, I will not eat. But his servants, together with the woman, compelled him; and he hearkened unto their voice. So he arose from the earth, and sat upon the bed. 24 And the woman had a fat calf in the house; and she hasted, and killed it, and took flour, and kneaded it, and did bake unleavened bread thereof: 25 and she brought it before Saul, and before his servants; and they did eat. Then they rose up, and went away that night.

Reactions: rwb
Dec 2, 2022
Vermont
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mathew 17: 1-8 a.k.j.v.
And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 2 and was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. 4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. 6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. 7 And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. 8 And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.

You see Moses died and Elijah was taken up in a chariot of fire but you see them both here and they are awake and consious and still existing but in a different realms of existence.

1 Corinthians 15:51 a.k.j.v.
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

I hope this helps you.

Reactions: rwb

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The JW's are one of the major teachers of soul sleep, as you can see from the words of Christ this is unbiblical.

They misunderstand Solomon when he says, "the dead know nothing." They don't realize that he is speaking of earthy involvement.

The dead whether saved or unsaved know nothing anymore of this world. They mistake this as they mistake almost everything in Scripture.

Totally understandable, that is how I have alway seen "the dead know nothing", it's because they are physically no longer here on earth. They past away, they have no consciousness here anymore, however due to the Lord Jesus Christ, they are resurrected at death because of God having raised him up from the dead.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Totally understandable, that is how I have alway seen "the dead know nothing", it's because they are physically no longer here on earth. They past away, they have no consciousness here anymore, however due to the Lord Jesus Christ, they are resurrected at death because of God having raised him up from the dead.

The resurrection as Paul described it in 1st and 2nd Thes. is the full payment of our salvation, as Paul told us that the Holy Spirit is the down-payment on our salvation in this life upon faith in Christ.

When we reach the resurrection we have been fully purchased by God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Sin is a thing of the past for us then. We will be glorified, changed from the mortal to the immortal for all eternity.

I long for that day, Brother! The Scripture says that all of creation yearns for the resurrection, for the wrong to be set right. For this world to be what God originally created it to be, before man fell and took all of creation with him.

It seems it will never come, we get discouraged in this life of sin all around us, the injustices we see and can do nothing about it. But it will come, just as sure as our Lord has promised it! We will finally know what life is like without the sin that has brought us so much pain and suffering.

Reactions: rwb and Nancy

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?

He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err."
If a man keeps my sayings HE shall never SEE DEATH .
Exactly . And though he were dead yet shall he live . exactly as we were all once dead in sins and trepsasses
but now in JESUS we are alive and though this body can die , THE SOUL GOES TO THE GLORIOUS KING .
Yes indeed . Let the KING be praised and thanked . This is the bread that if a man eat thereof he shall NEVER DIE
NEVER taste of death . Exactly . PRAISE THE GLORIOUS KING . PRAISE BE TO THE LORD WHO IS OUR HOPE
and our salvation .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The resurrection as Paul described it in 1st and 2nd Thes. is the full payment of our salvation, as Paul told us that the Holy Spirit is the down-payment on our salvation in this life upon faith in Christ.

When we reach the resurrection we have been fully purchased by God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Sin is a thing of the past for us then. We will be glorified, changed from the mortal to the immortal for all eternity.

I long for that day, Brother! The Scripture says that all of creation yearns for the resurrection, for the wrong to be set right. For this world to be what God originally created it to be, before man fell and took all of creation with him.

It seems it will never come, we get discouraged in this life of sin all around us, the injustices we see and can do nothing about it. But it will come, just as sure as our Lord has promised it! We will finally know what life is like without the sin that has brought us so much pain and suffering.
The good at our end cometh only IF ONE HAD FAITH IN JESUS . always remember that well .
We got folks on this site who try and preach something else .
THERE is the ressurection at the end . IN which those who followed JESUS shall rejoice
but woe to those who did not and rejected Him . i say woe to those .
These folks dont realize JESUS meant what HE said when he said
to those who believed not on him , IT WILL Be better for sodom than for YOU on the day of judgment .
That dont sound good . Not even close to good . Folks better stay glued to the one true gospel
and not be led astray into this other go spell i see many folks now believing in and teaching , cause it aint gonna save a one of them
BELIEVE YE IN JESUS CHRIST . I take this gospel to my grave , i will never buy the all inclusive many path to GOD LIE that so many
are now buying . Satan sold a whopper of a lie under a false love to so many . BUT I SAY , YE MUST BELIEVE IN JESUS
for those who deny HIM aint gonna like what they hear on the day of the LORD .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mathew and other are gonna find out on the day of the LORD, if they repent not , JESUS MEANT what he said
when HE said , It will be better for sodom than for you . WHY Do we think
JESUS even told the apostels to go and preach the gospel and if one rejects it
shake the dust off your feet as a .........TESTIMONY against them , it will be better for sodom than for them on the day of judgment .
Folks dont buy into this all inclusive false love religion , it aint gonna save ya and if ya preach it you will be condmened .
ALL will be held accountable to the very JESUS they denied on the day of JUDGMENT . i warn us all .
KEEP the faith IN CHRIST , keep the one true gospel firm to the end , dont be moved away into this other go spell wich is no gospel at all .
ITS a lie and it sure aint good news . many who taught it will find out on the day of the LORD
my prayer is they repent now so they wont have to hear these words, DEPART FRO M ME i never knew YOU .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh amigo, may God bless you in whatever your endeavors are sir.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing is many claim to BELIEVE in JESUS only they dont BELIEVE what HE taught . That is dangerous and deadly .

They don't understand the New Covenant. That is why they are still caught up in works.

Every other thread posted on these boards should be teachings of the New Covenant as revealed by the the only one who could fully reveal it, the apostle Paul.

Knowledge of the New Covenant will show the dependence on works that are not seen by many!

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How is Moses living sir? Likely that is where we are going to differ

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is correct Matt. There were 9 resurrections performed in the Bible, but those resurrections were not what Jn 5:28,29 was about, those are mostly yet future, after Jesus' return. Jesus of course was the first to be resurrected, and given immortality I might add. The next were those of the first resurrection recorded at Rev 20:6, those are the born again Christians that have died prior to Jesus receiving his crown. We believe that has taken place, the rest of those will change in the twinkling of an eye, when they die 1 Cor 15:51-53, and then the final number of them will meet the Lord in the air upon his return 1 Thes 4:17 All born again Christians receive immortality as well Matt. Thanks for asking sir.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I generally don't argue with the Bible Charlie, God stated we die, He defined what death is, and He told us how we will rise in the resurrection, nothing complicated about it sir. It is not hard to understand that there is no consciousness after death, and no point in a resurrection if there is.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Samuel 7-25 a.kj.v.

Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at En-dor. 8 And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee. 9 And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die? 10 And Saul sware to her by the Lord, saying, As the Lord liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing. 11 Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel. 12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul. 13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth. 14 And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.

15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do. 16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy? 17 And the Lord hath done to him, as he spake by me: for the Lord hath rent the kingdom out of thine hand, and given it to thy neighbour, even to David: 18 because thou obeyedst not the voice of the Lord, nor executedst his fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore hath the Lord done this thing unto thee this day. 19 Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me: the Lord also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines. 20 Then Saul fell straightway all along on the earth, and was sore afraid, because of the words of Samuel: and there was no strength in him; for he had eaten no bread all the day, nor all the night.

21 And the woman came unto Saul, and saw that he was sore troubled, and said unto him, Behold, thine handmaid hath obeyed thy voice, and I have put my life in my hand, and have hearkened unto thy words which thou spakest unto me. 22 Now therefore, I pray thee, hearken thou also unto the voice of thine handmaid, and let me set a morsel of bread before thee; and eat, that thou mayest have strength, when thou goest on thy way. 23 But he refused, and said, I will not eat. But his servants, together with the woman, compelled him; and he hearkened unto their voice. So he arose from the earth, and sat upon the bed. 24 And the woman had a fat calf in the house; and she hasted, and killed it, and took flour, and kneaded it, and did bake unleavened bread thereof: 25 and she brought it before Saul, and before his servants; and they did eat. Then they rose up, and went away that night.
Was it Samuel, or a demon sir?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mathew 17: 1-8 a.k.j.v.
And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 2 and was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. 4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. 6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. 7 And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. 8 And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.

You see Moses died and Elijah was taken up in a chariot of fire but you see them both here and they are awake and consious and still existing but in a different realms of existence.

1 Corinthians 15:51 a.k.j.v.
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

I hope this helps you.
That was the transfiguration as the verses stated Jason, the fulfillment of the apostles seeing Jesus in the Kingdom as he had earlier stated, it was a vision. He had not died yet, no one was resurrected prior to his death, as there was no ransom. If they really were Moses and Elijah, why was Jesus sent here to buy back what Adam lost sir?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What was the point of Jesus' sacrifice Matt?