is man a spirit with a soul or a soul with a spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

poetboy

Jul 2, 2007
and also, which one is the one that dies eternally?...ok so i wasn't really clarified on this when i was reading. But i hoped it would be of interest to some of you...and provide some bible verses thank you.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Yes. Yes. And all of the above dies eternally.The proof is where Jesus says that all will be raised (it says it in Daniel as well). Some to life eternal and some to everlasting destruction. Now, what is raised? All of the above including the body. They all go together.

bytheway

Jan 1, 2008
(tim_from_pa;29634)
Yes. Yes. And all of the above dies eternally.The proof is where Jesus says that all will be raised (it says it in Daniel as well). Some to life eternal and some to everlasting destruction. Now, what is raised? All of the above including the body. They all go together.
Humm........ Physical things can't exist in the eternal dimension. The body goes to and stays in the ground. l Cor. 15:52 says in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye (life on earth, compared to eternity) at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound and the dead (to self) will be raised ( to maturity) incorruptible, and we shall be changed (in this life). We then become usefull for His purposes. Bless ya, btw-

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
death means your spirit is seperated from your body. So I would say you have to have spirit before you have a mind(soul). I would think that your spirit reunites with your body and it all goes to Hell without the Spirit of God living within you. It's late and I do not have sciptures maybe tomorrow I can think clearer.

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
The Spiirit is breath. When you are born and take that first breath the Spirit becomes part of you. Adam was made from the earth and then God breathed into his nostrils.So I think the body and soul comes first.fjhqerjqerjfqerjqer

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(bytheway;29685)
Humm........ Physical things can't exist in the eternal dimension. The body goes to and stays in the ground. l Cor. 15:52 says in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye (life on earth, compared to eternity) at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound and the dead (to self) will be raised ( to maturity) incorruptible, and we shall be changed (in this life). We then become usefull for His purposes. Bless ya, btw-
Well, actually the body does raise, or else it is not a resurrection. It is different in nature, however. Paul addressed that topic when scoffers asked how the dead are raised and with what body they come forward with. Remember, Jesus' tomb was empty. According to what you are saying, he is there yet.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like to put it this way.The spirit is what you are while the soul is who you are.Ecclesiastes 12:6-7
Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
This parallels what Paul said in I Corinthians 15 about the two bodies, physical and spiritual. There is a tendency to say that spirit is not the soul, but there is a bit of an issue with that because it suggests that when you die the soul and spirit separate - making 3 distinct "things" of which there is no scripture to backup this assertion.

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
DenverWhat about this scripture? I have displayed it a couple times.So what is man, if God and angels are spirit and Jesus did not take on the form of a spirit(angel)? What form is man that Jesus took on if it is not spirit? “And the Lord God formed man of the dust (body) of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath (spirit) of life: and man became a living soul.” Gen. 2:7. This states that man became a living soul with component parts of dust, spirit, and soul; not a living spirit or body. < “I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ” 1 Thes.5:23

JIP

Dec 7, 2007
Hi Guys,See if this will answer atleast some of your questions.I actually collected detail this for another thread but forgotwhich one:rolleyes:The separation of the Body, Soul, and Spirit has to be seen and kept separate for the Word separates them. (1 Thes 5:23, and Heb 4:12).1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus ChristHebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.Spirit, Heb. Rauch. The Gr. Pneuma. The primary meaning for both these words is “invisible force”. The spirit of man is the intellect, will, mind, conscience, and other invisible faculties that make him a free moral agent and a rational being. Both soul and spirit of man are immortal. They are so closely related that it is hard to distinguish the finest details of difference between them, but there is a difference. This is clear from 1Th.5:23; Heb.4:12. In general we can say that the spirit is that which knows (1Cor.2:11),and the soul is that which feels (Job 14:22 But his flesh upon him shall have pain, and his soul within him shall mourn.). Both makes the inner man which leaves the body at death ( James 2:26). James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.Soul, Gr. Psuche, life, soul or spiritual part in contrast to the material body; a departed soul; also the spirit which still retains the shape and size of its living owner; the seat of the desires; feelings, passions, appetites and emotions. Psuche is the only word translated soul- 58 times, life- 40 times, mind-3 times, and heart, heartily, us and you once each. in the NT. The example we have is at the time of Jesus’ death. 1. He yielded His Spirit to the Father(Luke 23:46, Eccl 12:7, Acts 7:59)2. His Soul went to Hades (Acts 2:27)3. His Body was in the tomb (Matt 27:57-61) This separation continued until the Spirit and Soul reentered the body at His resurrection.Be Blessed Always

savo

Jan 3, 2008
1 Thessalonians 5:23Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.We are a spirit who has a soul and we live in a body.Genesis 1:26Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."We were made in Gods likeness so we are a spirit Our soul can defined as our mind will and emotions

JIP

Dec 7, 2007
(savo;30465)
We are a spirit who has a soul and we live in a body.We were made in Gods likeness so we are a spirit ..Our soul can defined as our mind will and emotions
On earth we are body, soul and spirit. The body goes back to the ground. The soul to hades to be retrieved by Jesus at the appointed time and the spirit we commit to God. We are all three. While alive we cannot just say we are only 2 of these. Be Blessed Always

savo

Jan 3, 2008
I didn't say we are two i was aying we are three a spirit who has a soul who lives in a body

JIP

Dec 7, 2007
Well dont we all my friend.The battle rages to the last breath. Be Blessed Always

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
man is a spirit, has a soul and lives in a body. you are spirit, you have a soul which is your Mind, will and emotions. and you live in your body. At death only the body dies, you [the spirit and soul] lives on in the place that you choose while you are on earth.give your life to Jesus and spend eternity with Him in heaven.

JIP

Dec 7, 2007
Do we have 2 spirits?The spirit within us and the indwelling Spirit of the Holy Ghost?