Is Race A Myth?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was an article by Pastor Thabiti Anyibwile that explained that there is no biological basis for race. There are ethnicities and nationalities but race is just a made up concept based on the theory of evolution and Christians should reject it.

I can't find the article anymore but it definitely stuck with me. In this thread, I want discussion but I mainly want to have a place to gather information to answer certain questions:

Where did the current categories of race used in western society like Caucasion, Asian, etc even come from?

Does the Bible acknowledge race the same way we think of it today?

Have we made race more important than it is? What would happen if we stopped acknowledging it? Is that practical?
Scripture tell s us in Acts that God has made all peoples of one ethnos (ethnicity) there is only one race- the human race. We just come in different flavors sizes and packaging.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm not sure what you mean by race in this post.

China is a country. Chinese is a nationality. Yes, there are different ethnicities and cultures in China.

African tribes are different from each other, I agree. But are the tribes different races? If so, how do you define race?

I should be clear, I think there are very real differences in ethnicities and cultures. But race is not based in biology or anything concrete. I think it's a widespread myth.
As in Tribes of one race ? their are tribes of one race, like the Jews came from a Semitic Race, but are only just one Tribe of that race, and the tribe is different or has different values etc.

In China we have 3 different race's and one can see directly the fact of them, they do all look very different.

In Australia we have 2 different looking Aboriginals back when Cook came here, The North type and the south type they claimed, The Aboriginals were very well breed to the land in the outback, they have a light bone thin like in the legs etc etc and hardy as they come, it's amazing that they can live to the age that they do under the conditions but many white race people are as weak as especially Pommy's not all tho ! weak breeding in such people etc etc, but the real Aboriginals did not have bastard breading like white people do.
The Aboriginals were given a wife and that was it, or you were killed, they had a system of who was right, so as to breed a healthy child, this was critical ! because of the harshness of the conditions and was the highest priority.
So when the white people started breeding with the Aboriginals but they were killed because they were no good for the Tribe, plus they have a different nature, a different type of dog one may say and it's a fact !

So race has a difference in fact. it's no myth.

Russian Slavic people are different to the West Europe race, they think and act somewhat differently, one has to come too understand them, then you can get along much better with them as a rule.

Back in the 1960 to 80's i could see or pick in general who came from where, but nowadays the younger generations are much more mixed, so one can not tell as easy as one once did, be he a Frog or North German or a South German or Sweden or Norway in general i could pick them out just by looking at them and they all have a different nature in general somewhat.

I could say back in the days that some one from North Germany was typical in general of their outlook and display but the South were clearly much different temperament, i found such typical in general. but things have changed nowadays, it's all different. so the younger generation would not have a clue because they never lived in them days to understand such.

A full breed Aboriginal will not work, a half cast could or may, be he half Islander or half White maybe.
Negros can work hard.
Pommy's in general are weak and will not work hard, but Scott's can work hard.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Left media and Liberals use 'racism' to divide and conquer. Sadly it has worked quite well. I love 'whites' as much as my 'race'. I married a wonderful 'white' lady, the love of my life. I was heading for Hell and Jesus sent her to me. There are good and bad in all races. The media is so EVIL!!!

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be a bit dismissive of people saying "there's only one race---the human race". Like, oh that's a nice thought but then why are people so touchy about it? How come I'm never allowed to completely forget about modern race issues?

But it's exactly true. I don't subscribe to the world's view on almost anything else. Race is nothing more than a socially accepted myth. It's just taken a while for my mind to be completely renewed on the subject.
For those that believe God's words, Noah is the father of us all, however being handsome does come in my family lineage, nothing I can do about it :)

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was an article by Pastor Thabiti Anyibwile that explained that there is no biological basis for race. There are ethnicities and nationalities but race is just a made up concept based on the theory of evolution and Christians should reject it.

I can't find the article anymore but it definitely stuck with me. In this thread, I want discussion but I mainly want to have a place to gather information to answer certain questions:

Where did the current categories of race used in western society like Caucasion, Asian, etc even come from?

Have we made race more important than it is? What would happen if we stopped acknowledging it? Is that practical?

Race absolutely exists = try and keep up with me on the highway

• Haha
Reactions: Wynona

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I head east at a leisurely pace of 4 kms an hour I'm doing 24,0004 kms an hour and I'm not even breaking a sweat.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I head east at a leisurely pace of 4 kms an hour I'm doing 24,0004 kms an hour and I'm not even breaking a sweat.

Since the circumference of the earth at the equator is around 40,000 km your statement above is in error, your relative velocity is around

40,000/24 km/hr ͌ 1670 km/hr at the equator.

If we add the 4 km/hr you are walking towards the east then your relative speed at the equator is 1,674 km/hr

A person's relative spinning velocity to the earths spinning axis is a little more complicated because we have to take into account the relative latitude where the person lives upon the earth. This makes the relative velocity calculation of the person with respect to their latitude to be around: -

1670 x Cos( θ° ) +4 km/hr

where θ° = the latitude at which the person lives.

A person living at a latitude of 60 °, their relative velocity with respect to the surface of the earth is around 839 km/hr

However, as θ° approaches 90° the limitation of the earth's geometry at 90° causes problems because it is impossible to walk eastwards when at a latitude of 90°.

But that is relative to the surface of the earth, but we also need to take into account the earth's relative velocity with respect to our solar system's centre, is around 110,000 km/hr and our solar system's relative speed with respect to a point somewhere out in the universe is outside of my ability to calculate but science suggests that with respect to the centre of our galaxy the speed of the earth is around 817,000 km/hr.

Now I hope that i have not confused even myself with all of this information.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think of one race, Human.

I can't speak towards the world's idea of race, but I can say this, the Bible divides people according to families, not race.

Much love!

Reactions: Wynona

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since the circumference of the earth at the equator is around 40,000 km your statement above is in error, your relative velocity is around

40,000/24 km/hr ͌ 1670 km/hr at the equator.

If we add the 4 km/hr you are walking towards the east then your relative speed at the equator is 1,674 km/hr

A person's relative spinning velocity to the earths spinning axis is a little more complicated because we have to take into account the relative latitude where the person lives upon the earth. This makes the relative velocity calculation of the person with respect to their latitude to be around: -

1670 x Cos( θ° ) +4 km/hr

where θ° = the latitude at which the person lives.

A person living at a latitude of 60 °, their relative velocity with respect to the surface of the earth is around 839 km/hr

However, as θ° approaches 90° the limitation of the earth's geometry at 90° causes problems because it is impossible to walk eastwards when at a latitude of 90°.

But that is relative to the surface of the earth, but we also need to take into account the earth's relative velocity with respect to our solar system's centre, is around 110,000 km/hr and our solar system's relative speed with respect to a point somewhere out in the universe is outside of my ability to calculate but science suggests that with respect to the centre of our galaxy the speed of the earth is around 817,000 km/hr.

Now I hope that i have not confused even myself with all of this information.
You're right Jay. I had miles and kilometres confused. Ahhh, 24, 901.461 Miles. I'll need to step up my pace.
The thing is, I've discovered I've needed to do that all my life :)

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
there is no biological basis for race. There are ethnicities and nationalities but race is just a made up concept based on the theory of evolution and Christians should reject it.
Here are a few Google quotes….
“Race” is usually associated with biology and linked with physical characteristics such as skin color or hair texture. “Ethnicity” is linked with cultural expression and identification. However, both are social constructs used to categorize and characterize seemingly distinct populations.“

“While race and ethnicity are different, they are overlapping concepts that are often used synonymously, a trend fostered by the increasing use, particularly in the United States, of the compound word race/ethnicity.”

“Ethnicity: Your ethnicity refers to your background heritage, culture, religion, ancestry or sometimes the country where you were born. For New York State reporting, we are specifically collecting whether or not your ethnicity is Hispanic, Latino or of Spanish Origin.”

“Race” in the beginning was non-existent…..all were simply members of the human race and as mankind increased, sin introduced problems and peoples were separated over territory and identified by their location. We know that all of humanity descended from Noah’s three sons, so where did these develop into races?
Christianity today is as divided as it always has been and many are also identified by their location…..
Orthodox churches are known by the country in which they operate….Russian, Eastern, Greek, Serbian etc.….in fact there are 15 orthodox churches.
When Gentiles were accepted into Christianity, which was exclusively Jewish before the Messiah came, we saw efforts to make all Christians into one body…..ethnicity, race or nationality was not an issue. Christianity united them as one brotherhood, which means that no wars can be fought by Christians who have their “brothers” of another nation on the other side. We have to understand that Christianity knows no racial or national boundaries.

Reactions: amadeus and Wynona

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was about to ask what that would look like if Christians rejected race.

But I think it would likely look like the early Church: people of different ethnicities and classes taking care of each other's needs, sharing communion, and behaving like family. It was an incredible witness to the world.

We know what the worst of race issues looks like (all too well). To the contrary, what it would look like if we rejected race as an issue, we have also seen. In fact there are some incredibly beautiful interactions between those of race difference that are also there and should be the thing that we consider when dealing with people of race or other differences--differences that certainly exist, but as it has already been said, they are differences that God was pleased to create; and being of Him, we too should be pleased, as we are the body of Christ beautifully and masterfully made up of many different members.

There is also a reference to color with Jacob, who favoring Joseph gave him a coat of many colors. Search "many colors" in the scriptures and you will see...it's not really about coats or tunics but about the children of God.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here are a few Google quotes….
“Race” is usually associated with biology and linked with physical characteristics such as skin color or hair texture. “Ethnicity” is linked with cultural expression and identification. However, both are social constructs used to categorize and characterize seemingly distinct populations.“

“While race and ethnicity are different, they are overlapping concepts that are often used synonymously, a trend fostered by the increasing use, particularly in the United States, of the compound word race/ethnicity.”

“Ethnicity: Your ethnicity refers to your background heritage, culture, religion, ancestry or sometimes the country where you were born. For New York State reporting, we are specifically collecting whether or not your ethnicity is Hispanic, Latino or of Spanish Origin.”

“Race” in the beginning was non-existent…..all were simply members of the human race and as mankind increased, sin introduced problems and peoples were separated over territory and identified by their location. We know that all of humanity descended from Noah’s three sons, so where did these develop into races?
Christianity today is as divided as it always has been and many are also identified by their location…..
Orthodox churches are known by the country in which they operate….Russian, Eastern, Greek, Serbian etc.….in fact there are 15 orthodox churches.
When Gentiles were accepted into Christianity, which was exclusively Jewish before the Messiah came, we saw efforts to make all Christians into one body…..ethnicity, race or nationality was not an issue. Christianity united them as one brotherhood, which means that no wars can be fought by Christians who have their “brothers” of another nation on the other side. We have to understand that Christianity knows no racial or national boundaries.
As a Christian one is of the same flock, but race is not abolished or culture.
One must respect a race, Like Australian Aboriginals ? but a half cast ect is not a Aboriginal in fact.
The word Aboriginal means original inhabitant, as such should be respected.
One has to be careful not to dismiss the reality ! Christianity does not dismiss such at all.

The ends of Christianity is to bring one back to God, to be Gods people ! worthy of Christ Jesus in fact, regardless of race or culture ? but such will be added, on the right track. as all were blind before they come to Christ Jesus.

One should not go to War against anyone, for that is a work of the Devil. The great Tempter that plays people, War leads to deceptions being played and that is the game play of starting Wars as well. Killing of people is no excuse, but defending yourself is another thing. but it's how we defend our selves ? Truth is the key issue because outside of Truth one is lost. So we must seek the Truth in everything, that is the war we wage even within ourselves that war goes on 12/7 so if it is a deception being played we must seek to call it out.