Is The Rapture A Literal Event?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One way that we know Enoch isn't Scripture is it's inclusion of factual error.

This would be interesting to discuss. Create a thread on it : )
It seems to me this quote from Enoch was known, and around it, a few got together and wrote the book. But that Jude quotes Enoch, and there is a book that bears Enoch's name, this does not authenticate Enoch as Scripture, or mean that Jude took his quote from that as a source. Both share a separate and common source, Enoch.

When have the people of God ever "quoted" a Biblical figure without there being a book to quote from? : )

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, but we must always check our understanding with that of the Church as a whole, and be humble enough to accept correction....

Peace!

Taken as a reference to the church as a whole, the expression "he will declare to you the things that are to come" lends itself far more to prophecy revealed to entire congregations (1 Corinthians 14:26-31) than to individuals receiving personal revelation about the truth (i.e. the scriptures).

That's why it's so stunning. I had never noticed that before.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This would be interesting to discuss. Create a thread on it : )
not really interested. According to the book of Enoch:

"And I saw six portals in which the sun rises, and six portals in which the sun sets and the moon rises and sets in these portals, and the leaders of the stars and those whom they lead: six in the east and six in the west, and all following each other in accurately corresponding order: also many windows to the right and left of these portals. 4. And first there goes forth the great luminary, named the Sun, and his circumference is like the circumference of the heaven, and he is quite filled with illuminating and heating fire. 5. The chariot on which he ascends, the wind drives, and the sun goes down from the heaven and returns through the north in order to reach the east, and is so guided that he comes to the appropriate (lit. 'that') portal and shines in the face of the heaven."

The wind blows the sun across the sky where it sets in the west, and then goes round the earth by way of the north to then rise from the east again.

No, This doesn't really make me want to invest much time.

Much love!

Reactions: Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um . . .

Moses opens with a quote from God for which we do not have a source text, that quote being, "Let there be light". There are more, should I continue?

:)

Well, now the difference there would be that the Pentateuch was given by direct revelation from angels on Mt.Sinai, and in general we have always kinda taken their word for it, LoL.

Last edited:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure why conservative Protestants hang on to this idea so tightly. It seems like such a nonissue - it will either happen or it won’t! It just seems like another attempt to plan the future

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know, it's the book of Enoch so-called.

Like I said tho, it doen't really interest me.

Me thinks you found a web article and lifted some stuff off it, LoL. But that's all good. When citing sources, however, you're supposed to quote Chapter and verse. That quote could actually be from Enoch 2 or Enoch 3, which are debatable in their own rights as authoritative. It could also be in none of the above, or a mistranslation, in which case it would render the text irrelevant.

Gotta play by the rules, buddy buddy! : )

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure why conservative Protestants hang on to this idea so tightly. It seems like such a nonissue - it will either happen or it won’t! It just seems like another attempt to plan the future

Well, the thing is, it's integral to one's interpretation of end-time prophecy, so how one interprets it effects everything else. Think of a house of cards coming down if you take just one out. It's that important. A lot hinges on it where eschatology is concerned.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me thinks you found a web article and lifted some stuff off it, LoL. But that's all good. When citing sources, however, you're supposed to quote Chapter and verse. That quote could actually be from Enoch 2 or Enoch 3, which are debatable in their own rights as authoritative. It could also be in none of the above, or a mistranslation, in which case it would render the text irrelevant.

Gotta play by the rules, buddy buddy! : )
It's not like it's the Bible.

Yes, I went to a website, because I carry my Bible, but not other books.

The Book of Enoch: The Book of the Courses of the Heavenly Luminaries: Chapter LXXII.

The Book of Enoch, Section III

First Enoch - Chapter LXXII / Chapter 71 - Book of 1 Enoch, Parallel 1912 Charles & 1883 Laurence, Pseudepigrapha Online Parallel Bible Study

These all seem to have the same. I can find more source, but that's what it says. And it's not correct. This isn't the only place, but again, not being interested in Enoch, that's all I'll have to say.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, now the difference there would be that the Pentateuch was given by direct revelation from angels on Mt.Sinai, and in general we have always kinda taken their word for it, LoL.
Um . . . Deuteronomy, for instance, was a written by Moses as the Israelites camped across the Jordan river from Jerico, about 40 years after the were at Sinai.

And besides . . . Jude was given by the Holy Spirit's inspiritation. We can take the Holy Spirit at His Word, can't we?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Along with what Hidden in Him wrote, I'd add that I simply want to know everything the Bible teaches. So if I find this there, I don't just ignore it, do I?

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These all seem to have the same. I can find more source, but that's what it says. And it's not correct. This isn't the only place, but again, not being interested in Enoch, that's all I'll have to say.

Not a problem. Maybe membership can get into it in depth at this Forum some time. Fascinating book IMO.

But the discussion would be involved. Not sure if we have the scholarship to do the debate much justice, but who knows.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um . . . Deuteronomy, for instance, was a written by Moses as the Israelites camped across the Jordan river from Jerico, about 40 years after the were at Sinai.

Oh really? I was always under the impression that the first five were given at Sinai. Where did you read that? I'd be curious to read it.
And besides . . . Jude was given by the Holy Spirit's inspiritation. We can take the Holy Spirit at His Word, can't we?

Now this is a valid argument. But the quotes in question read as just that, quotes. This suggests there were books they were citing as authoritative. This is turn leaves the reader asking, "What books are they quoting that served as the basis for their theology?" This in turn leaves us wondering why they would cite books that He has not seen fit to preserve for us as reference, if the books we have by those names are not the true books being referred to in scripture. As one who studies scholarship some, I just take the position that the Lord saw fit to leave us the actual documents so that we are not all wondering around in the dark about what the Bible writers were referring to.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ah. Now that I'm thinking of it, only the Torah itself could have been revealed at Sinai (Torah was actually the word I used in my original post before changing it to Pentateuch). They had not lived out their walk in the wilderness yet, so certainly the history of the Jews 40 years in the wilderness was not revealed prophetically to them on the mountain. That would have been just weird, LoL. :rolleyes:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh really? I was always under the impression that the first five were given at Sinai. Where did you read that? I'd be curious to read it.
In Deuteronomy.

Deuteronomy 1
1 These be the words which Moses spake unto all Israel on this side Jordan in the wilderness, in the plain over against the Red sea, between Paran, and Tophel, and Laban, and Hazeroth, and Dizahab.
2 (There are eleven days' journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadeshbarnea.)
3 And it came to pass in the fortieth year, in the eleventh month, on the first day of the month, that Moses spake unto the children of Israel, according unto all that the Lord had given him in commandment unto them;
4 After he had slain Sihon the king of the Amorites, which dwelt in Heshbon, and Og the king of Bashan, which dwelt at Astaroth in Edrei:
5 On this side Jordan, in the land of Moab, began Moses to declare this law, saying,

6 The Lord our God spake unto us in Horeb, saying, Ye have dwelt long enough in this mount:

Very clearly after they were turned away from the land the first time in their unbelief:

34 And the Lord heard the voice of your words, and was wroth, and sware, saying,
35 Surely there shall not one of these men of this evil generation see that good land, which I sware to give unto your fathers.
36 Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh; he shall see it, and to him will I give the land that he hath trodden upon, and to his children, because he hath wholly followed the Lord.
37 Also the Lord was angry with me for your sakes, saying, Thou also shalt not go in thither.

Much love!