Is true Christianity a religion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Religion = what mankind practices in order to please the god they think exists. It is a practice of things (works and rituals) they think will please their God and make them acceptable.

In the dictionary the word “religion” is defined as what man does for the God they think exists.

However, true Christianity is about what God has done for mankind. There is nothing in the dictionary that defines “religion” as what God has done for mankind.

Therefore is true Christianity a religion?

What I find so amazing in the Christian religion is that men and women will search out scriptures in one part of the Bible to try and defeat scriptures in another part of the Bible. You see it on all of the forums. Instead of trying to discuss the Scriptures in the original post they interject other Scriptures found in other places that they say make the other Scripture meaningless. --- Religion is what separates men and women today. They don't seem to understand that Jesus (God) has made an end run around religion and made it null and void.

Not many will try to study, in depth, what Paul said in 1 Cor 1:23-31

1 Cor 1:23-31
23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness,

*Because it is what God has done for mankind and not what men and women can do in a religion for themselves.

24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

*By doing for mankind what they could not do for themselves God, in His wisdom, has setup a plan of salvation that is not dependant on what men and women do. Since, in religion, men and women feel that THEY must do something, they find God's plan foolish. To religion a plan of salvation in which men and women cannot work for salvation is foolish. In religion every one feels that they must work for what they get. Example, when a person receives a gift they feel that they must give one in return. They do not understand what a free gift is or how to accept it. However, a free gift requires nothing in return except a feeling of gratitude and a thank you.

26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.
27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;
28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,

*I believe the above is saying the same things I am saying; the things which are not, the absents of religion, and the things that are, religions, have been brought to nothing.

29 that no flesh should glory in His presence.

*Men and women glory (take pride) in their religious works they do. They think they will please God and it is hard for them to deny themselves this control of their salvation and give ALL the control to God.

30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God-- and righteousness and sanctification and redemption--
31 that, as it is written, "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord."
(NKJ)

The work of Jesus Christ on the cross has become all that is necessary for a person's salvation. It is righteousness, sanctification, and redemption for all those that will place ALL their faith, trust, confidence, and hope in what He (God) did on the cross. As you can see God had a plan that removed the work of salvation from mankind and accomplished the work Himself. Yet, men and women WILL NOT accept it, they still feel that THEY must do something too. They cannot accept a plan of salvation that does not give them some control over it.

To many, the history of mankind's religions did not change much with the death and resurrection of Jesus (God). Religions continued to be a system of things (works) that men and women practice for their god.

People in religion today cannot accept the idea that with the death of Jesus, God instituted a hidden plan of salvation that does not depend on mankind's performance and gave it to Paul.

Eph 2:4-10
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
(NKJ)

Notice that in the above it is talking about what God has done for us, not what we do. In verse 10 it says we are His workmanship. He did all the work to make us His.

Eph 3:1-3
1 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles--
2 if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you,
3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already,
(NKJ)

In this dispensation of the grace of God all mankind is required to do is to accept what God has done for their salvation and to deny their control over it. They are required to place ALL their faith, trust, confidence, and hope in what Jesus (God) did on the cross. When they do this they show that they believe what God has done for them.

John 3:18
18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
(NKJ)

Food for thought

Reactions: JesusIsFaithful

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believers have been led in error by their zeal for the Lord to please Him by taking on works that are His to do which is why they gain no assurances by doing so; whether it be for salvation or even for doing the best they can in following Him by the religious flesh, thus laboring in unbelief.

Jesus did not come to tame the flesh. He came to crucify it.

This thread started by someone else touches on the necessity to surrender even when trying to do the best they can in following Him when our power in following Him rests on trusting Him to do His work in us so we can follow Him by the grace of God.

So that same faith in Jesus Christ as our Saviour that we are saved by simply believing in Him is the same faith to be applied in Him daily as our Good Shepherd to help us to follow Him, which both is done by the grace of God as well, for all the more reasons we shall praise Him for in Heaven.

Joshua☩

May 9, 2017
Faith
Country
United States
Religion = what mankind practices in order to please the god they think exists. It is a practice of things (works and rituals) they think will please their God and make them acceptable.

In the dictionary the word “religion” is defined as what man does for the God they think exists.

However, true Christianity is about what God has done for mankind. There is nothing in the dictionary that defines “religion” as what God has done for mankind.

I am curious to know, if you don't mind, what you consider to be "True Christianity".

I don't think that Christianity of any sort, even the more ritualistic forms, can really be classified as a religion. Christianity to me seems to be more of a cultural way of life, something that is so intertwined with our beings that it is impossible to separate our Christian beliefs from our secular lives.
Unlike many other faiths, ours demands a complete surrendering of our lives, making them inseparable from the cultural and philosophical beliefs and practices of Christianity.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am curious to know, if you don't mind, what you consider to be "True Christianity".

I don't think that Christianity of any sort, even the more ritualistic forms, can really be classified as a religion. Christianity to me seems to be more of a cultural way of life, something that is so intertwined with our beings that it is impossible to separate our Christian beliefs from our secular lives.
Unlike many other faiths, ours demands a complete surrendering of our lives, making them inseparable from the cultural and philosophical beliefs and practices of Christianity.

A true Christian (a child of God) is one that has placed all, all, all their belief, faith, trust, confidence in the work of God on the cross where Jesus atoned (paid) for all the sins of the world. To put it in simple words faith in what Jesus did on the cross to pay for the person's sins.

It is sad that on Christian forums this fact is not taught. Instead all the talk is about what men do in religious activities; repenting, talking in tongues, keeping the law (which no man can keep). Look at the record on this forum. How much is said about what Jesus did for mankind?

You are right in that Christianity today is all about traditional culture and secular living, Very few write about faith in what God has already accomplished for His children in Christ. Salvation is the work of God. People would do well to place their faith in His work.

Reactions: Joshua☩

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Hi,
I find this is an interesting question - "Is true Christianity a religion?"

We say that Christianity is a religion when we think from a global perspective i.e when we take into account that other religions exist in this world.

Mankind has always wondered about highest power which is beyond human understanding. What if the highest power himself comes down to mankind to reveal himself!

From the perspective of the Bible (which is the Word of God), there is no other God except God himself. We let God compare himself to other so called "gods". Then we understand that God is one.

If God is ONE , then where is the existence or meaning of other religions ?

I think true Christianity is not a religion, it is a way of life taught to us by God. When this essence of Christianity is inside our hearts, it is shown in our actions - for example - one passionately reads the Bible throughout their lives or completely abstains from committing adultery or works hard to earn their living or lives in fellowship with other Christians and so on.

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." Proverbs 3:5
"The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting: give me understanding, and I shall live." Psalm 119:144

All Glory to God,
Prashanth

Reactions: Joshua☩

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Richard,

Both of these quotes are yours.
#1 "In the dictionary the word “religion” is defined as what man does for the God they think exists. However, true Christianity is about what God has done for mankind."

#2 "Salvation is the work of God. People would do well to place their faith in His work."

Do you see your conundrum? #2 stipulates what man must do to please God "place their faith in His work".

For one to be a Christian there must be a positive response given to the gospel message; a response of faith. This pleases God without question. This then using your working definition places "true Christianity" as a religion.

The book of James speaks to what true religion is...
Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

Last edited:

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this original post is a bit misleading. As Christians, we obviously would say that our beliefs are very different from other religions that are based in seeking or doing things to appease God.

However, that is not how the dictionary defines "religion." Religion is defined as, "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." In this sense, of course, Christianity is a religion.

I just think we need to be careful when speaking to unbelievers that Christians do not belong to a "religion." This is nothing more than "Christian-ese" that may make sense to us but only comes across as elitism to those who do not believe. I just think we need to be careful about redefining words in order to distinguish us from others and then expecting everyone else to understand and accept our redefinition of terms.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What I find so amazing in the Christian religion is that men and women will search out scriptures in one part of the Bible to try and defeat scriptures in another part of the Bible. You see it on all of the forums. Instead of trying to discuss the Scriptures in the original post they interject other Scriptures found in other places that they say make the other Scripture meaningless. --- Religion is what separates men and women today. They don't seem to understand that Jesus (God) has made an end run around religion and made it null and void.

23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness,

*Because it is what God has done for mankind and not what men and women can do in a religion for themselves.

24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

*By doing for mankind what they could not do for themselves God, in His wisdom, has setup a plan of salvation that is not dependant on what men and women do. Since, in religion, men and women feel that THEY must do something, they find God's plan foolish. To religion a plan of salvation in which men and women cannot work for salvation is foolish. In religion every one feels that they must work for what they get. Example, when a person receives a gift they feel that they must give one in return. They do not understand what a free gift is or how to accept it. However, a free gift requires nothing in return except a feeling of gratitude and a thank you.

26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.
27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;
28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,

*I believe the above is saying the same things I am saying; the things which are not, the absents of religion, and the things that are, religions, have been brought to nothing.

*Men and women glory (take pride) in their religious works they do. They think they will please God and it is hard for them to deny themselves this control of their salvation and give ALL the control to God.

30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God-- and righteousness and sanctification and redemption--
(NKJ)

The work of Jesus Christ on the cross has become all that is necessary for a person's salvation. It is righteousness, sanctification, and redemption for all those that will place ALL their faith, trust, confidence, and hope in what He (God) did on the cross. As you can see God had a plan that removed the work of salvation from mankind and accomplished the work Himself. Yet, men and women WILL NOT accept it, they still feel that THEY must do something too. They cannot accept a plan of salvation that does not give them some control over it.

To many, the history of mankind's religions did not change much with the death and resurrection of Jesus (God). Religions continued to be a system of things (works) that men and women practice for their god.

People in religion today cannot accept the idea that with the death of Jesus, God instituted a hidden plan of salvation that does not depend on mankind's performance and gave it to Paul.

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
(NKJ)

Notice that in the above it is talking about what God has done for us, not what we do. In verse 10 it says we are His workmanship. He did all the work to make us His.

2 if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you,
3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already,
(NKJ)

In this dispensation of the grace of God all mankind is required to do is to accept what God has done for their salvation and to deny their control over it. They are required to place ALL their faith, trust, confidence, and hope in what Jesus (God) did on the cross. When they do this they show that they believe what God has done for them.

18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
(NKJ)

Food for thought

nice point on God doing for man.

thing is in the case of the Almighty's relationship with man documented by those who have had such a relationship (bible) its that God establishes a relationship with those in the earth He chooses to be with.

God doing for is a given considering He provided all things for the purpose of accommodating the presence of living things. darkness even accommodates the presence of Satan and friends.

also since God would have those He chooses to have His Likeness then how can that be accomplished unless they receive His Likeness from Him of Him

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

and Adam fell from that likeness, and Jesus restores us to that Likeness, because He is of God, being the Word of God made flesh. so its about the fulfillment of His will revealed through His Word in His Presence.
but on Christianity, everyone is always trying to define and redefine Christianity and what it means or what it is, so on and so forth. FYI that tells you anyone doing so isn't Christian. if you don't know what Christianity is according to God, that would be Jesus Christ because Jesus fulfilled all that would satisfy God in the Son of Man to the Father's satisfaction. Jesus is the fulfillment therefore the only legit and correct interpretation of man's relationship with his Maker, which is what its about.

religion according to the apostles:

Jas_1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Jas_1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

notice in all of the documentation OT and NT this is the one of the very few direct addresses to the subject of what religion is, but on Christian sites like this one you can bet 50% or better is about what religion is. which is usually the case of people justifying there own judgement of what God and Christianity ought to be to others and themselves. whereas Jesus is the Justification of God's people according to God's Judgement.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I always think that "Religion" is pious acts, and performance oriented...while "True Christianity" is a living relationship with the Godhead.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this original post is a bit misleading. As Christians, we obviously would say that our beliefs are very different from other religions that are based in seeking or doing things to appease God.

However, that is not how the dictionary defines "religion." Religion is defined as, "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." In this sense, of course, Christianity is a religion.

I just think we need to be careful when speaking to unbelievers that Christians do not belong to a "religion." This is nothing more than "Christian-ese" that may make sense to us but only comes across as elitism to those who do not believe. I just think we need to be careful about redefining words in order to distinguish us from others and then expecting everyone else to understand and accept our redefinition of terms.

I used the definitions in my old college dictionary, 1951 edition. It does not list meaning as you stated which shows that the meaning of the word has been enlarged since then. When I was in grade school studying history we read where people developed their religions.

You may be comfortable thinking true Christianity is a religion, but I am not. As it is clearly shown it was the religious that persecuted the Prophets of the OT Bible, had Jesus killed, stoned Stephen to death, persecuted Paul and others. IMO it is a fact that in all religions it is what the people in them do to please their god of choice. For the child of God it is all about what God has already done for them.

Reactions: Helen

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nice point on God doing for man.

thing is in the case of the Almighty's relationship with man documented by those who have had such a relationship (bible) its that God establishes a relationship with those in the earth He chooses to be with.

God doing for is a given considering He provided all things for the purpose of accommodating the presence of living things. darkness even accommodates the presence of Satan and friends.

also since God would have those He chooses to have His Likeness then how can that be accomplished unless they receive His Likeness from Him of Him

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

and Adam fell from that likeness, and Jesus restores us to that Likeness, because He is of God, being the Word of God made flesh. so its about the fulfillment of His will revealed through His Word in His Presence.
but on Christianity, everyone is always trying to define and redefine Christianity and what it means or what it is, so on and so forth. FYI that tells you anyone doing so isn't Christian. if you don't know what Christianity is according to God, that would be Jesus Christ because Jesus fulfilled all that would satisfy God in the Son of Man to the Father's satisfaction. Jesus is the fulfillment therefore the only legit and correct interpretation of man's relationship with his Maker, which is what its about.

religion according to the apostles:

Jas_1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Jas_1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

notice in all of the documentation OT and NT this is the one of the very few direct addresses to the subject of what religion is, but on Christian sites like this one you can bet 50% or better is about what religion is. which is usually the case of people justifying there own judgement of what God and Christianity ought to be to others and themselves. whereas Jesus is the Justification of God's people according to God's Judgement.

Better read James 1:1 again. The book was written to the Jews, not those under grace.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Richard,

Both of these quotes are yours.
#1 "In the dictionary the word “religion” is defined as what man does for the God they think exists. However, true Christianity is about what God has done for mankind."

#2 "Salvation is the work of God. People would do well to place their faith in His work."

Do you see your conundrum? #2 stipulates what man must do to please God "place their faith in His work".

For one to be a Christian there must be a positive response given to the gospel message; a response of faith. This pleases God without question. This then using your working definition places "true Christianity" as a religion.

The book of James speaks to what true religion is...
Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
Do you equate faith as religious works? Religious works are tangible, faith is not.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One would have to present an example of true Christianity first...
Are you saying you don't know what a true Christian is?

Phil 3:3
3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,
NKJV

spirit, faith, confidence, belief, trust all of these words have no tangible components.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(NKJ)

(NKJ)

(NKJ)

(NKJ)

Food for thought
Unfortunately, "religion" is the word that most people use to describe all approaches to deity.

Similarly, the erroneous word used to describe Christians...is "believer", while Christianity is the only "religion" that is NOT based on belief alone, but is founded upon an infrastructure of first-hand witnesses who "know" the facts.

Both of these erroneous uses of terms should be considered and understood. Christianity is unique and different.

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
Since, in religion, men and women feel that THEY must do something, they find God's plan foolish. To religion a plan of salvation in which men and women cannot work for salvation is foolish.
Yeah, most of Christianity is a "religion." Rev 3:1 says that many (maybe most) Christians " have a name that lives but are dead." In Rev 3:17, we find that the CHURCH of Laodicea was rich physically .. had no spiritual "works" worthy of mention (3:15) .. and was spiritually "wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked." Thyatira "seduced My servants to commit fornication, and to eat things offered to idols." (2:20) I have just cited the Reform, the emerging/emergent church, and the Catholic church as spoken of by Jesus.

We MUST respond to the gospel in order to be saved. The Bible says, "Repent and turn to God…" (Acts 26:20, 17:30, 2:38) Now how exactly did YOU respond to the gospel? BTW, believing is NOT a response to God .. it is a response to God's word.

skypair

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you equate faith as religious works? Religious works are tangible, faith is not.

If your faith is not tangible it is dead because faith produces fruit, tangible evidence of faith. A tree that produces no fruit is worthless and is cut down and tossed into the fire. Not only that, the confession of faith is a tangible act. Confessions are so tangible that men are imprisoned for them, or set free by them as in the case of Jesus' death and resurrection and our relation to God.

But speaking again to your OP. God requires a response to His gospel message. This is something everyone who hears must do. Even the choice to not respond is a response in itself. The response of faith is something every Christian did resulting in God being pleased with their response. Those who do not respond in faith God is displeased with and His wrath remains on the unbeliever.

Christianity is a religion according to your OP and you confirm it in post #4.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If your faith is not tangible it is dead because faith produces fruit, tangible evidence of faith. A tree that produces no fruit is worthless and is cut down and tossed into the fire. Not only that, the confession of faith is a tangible act. Confessions are so tangible that men are imprisoned for them, or set free by them as in the case of Jesus' death and resurrection and our relation to God.

But speaking again to your OP. God requires a response to His gospel message. This is something everyone who hears must do. Even the choice to not respond is a response in itself. The response of faith is something every Christian did resulting in God being pleased with their response. Those who do not respond in faith God is displeased with and His wrath remains on the unbeliever.

Christianity is a religion according to your OP and you confirm it in post #4.
If you say so. But I don't agree with you. The response God wants is for a person to honor His Son by placing their belief, faith, trust, and confidence in His Son's work on the cross. You say these words indicate a work. Yet they have no relationship with physical works that people do in religion. Every one of these words are spiritual having no foundation in physical things. I have had my say you are welcome to yours. I am not going to argue the point with you since you will not see what I see.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, most of Christianity is a "religion." Rev 3:1 says that many (maybe most) Christians " have a name that lives but are dead." In Rev 3:17, we find that the CHURCH of Laodicea was rich physically .. had no spiritual "works" worthy of mention (3:15) .. and was spiritually "wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked." Thyatira "seduced My servants to commit fornication, and to eat things offered to idols." (2:20) I have just cited the Reform, the emerging/emergent church, and the Catholic church as spoken of by Jesus.

We MUST respond to the gospel in order to be saved. The Bible says, "Repent and turn to God…" (Acts 26:20, 17:30, 2:38) Now how exactly did YOU respond to the gospel? BTW, believing is NOT a response to God .. it is a response to God's word.

skypair
Are you saying you separate God from His word? How do you do that?

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If your faith is not tangible it is dead because faith produces fruit, tangible evidence of faith.

So you must believe we are saved by our tangible works, not by the work of God on the cross, alone. That means Jesus did not save a person unless that person has works. It means we must save ourselves by what we do. Sorry but I disagree with you. Salvation has been purchased by the work of God on the cross alone but if a person does not believe it then that person has rejected God's salvation and wishes to have the salvation the person has worked for. I don't think that will work.