John 2:18-25 (Video Bible Study) (Milk)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 2:18-25

New American Standard Bible

18 The Jews then said to Him, “What sign do You show us [a]as your authority for doing these things?” 19 Jesus answered them, “Destroy this [b]temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” 20 The Jews then said, “It took forty-six years to build this [c]temple, and yet You will raise it up in three days?” 21 But He was speaking about the [d]temple of His body. 22 So when He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered that He said this; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had spoken.
23 Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name as they observed His signs which He was doing. 24 But Jesus, on His part, was not entrusting Himself to them, because He knew all people, 25 and because He did not need anyone to testify about mankind, for He Himself knew what was in mankind.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello,

Interpretation and understanding is very important.

If we go to the Greek text verse 19 actually states that if the people associated with the function of the Temple cause the temple to be loosened, from its purpose, then, after the loosening happens, within three days, i.e., three days of the Lord which is around 3,000 years into the future, that He, Christ, would gather the saints together to form the Temple at that time to worship God on the face of the earth.

The presenter in this video has accepted the traditional understanding however I would suggest that those who Christ was addressing had no ability to destroy Him. In fact because he arose again they had not destroyed him.

In Matt 10:28 Jesus said this: - "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

If a person kills another person, they have taken his life away from him, but they have not destroyed his spirit and soul. Because they have not destroyed his spirit and soul, they have not destroyed the person. The only entity that is able to destroy a person, including their spirit and their soul is God.

When was the Temple destroyed? 70 AD. Why was the temple destroyed?

2 Chronicles 2:19-2: –– 19 “But if you turn away and forsake My statutes and My commandments which I have set before you, and go and serve other gods, and worship them, 20 then I will uproot them from My land which I have given them; and this house which I have sanctified/set aside for My name I will cast out of My sight, and will make it a proverb and a byword among all peoples.

What happened? The Jews cause the temple to be released/loosened from its initial purpose because of their continual idolatrous worship.

Who become the Temple of God? The Saints do.

1 Corinthians 3:16: –– 16 Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? 17 If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are.

1 Corinthians 6:15-20: –– 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I therefore take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! 16 Do you not know that he who joins himself to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, "The two shall become one flesh." 17 But he who is united to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. 18 Shun immorality. Every other sin, which a man commits, is outside the body; but the immoral man sins against his own body. 19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought with a price . So, glorify God in your body.

2 Corinthians 6:16-18: –– 16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,
"I will live in them and move among them,

What Jesus was telling those in the temple was that if they loosened the function of the temple that he would within three days of the Lord gather the saints who are part of the Body of Christ because Christ dwells within them to form the Temple to worship God with Jesus standing with the saints to also worship God with them.

The assumption that the Jews associated with the Temple destroyed Jesus is very wrong on our part.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow @Jay Ross you watched this whole video? It’s hard to believe but that’s cool. Thank you for sharing some of the insights you have.

Last edited: