John Calvin's testimony on Gods limited love for mankind(Limited Atonement) vs The Apostles testimony

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Calvin's doctrine of Gods limited Grace for mankind,

Quote from John Calvin's testimony :
" god arranges all things by his sovereign counsel, in such a way that individuals are born, who are doomed from the womb to certain death, and are to glorify him by their destruction."

vs the apostles testimony:

2Peter 3:9,
- The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that  any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Two testimonies with different views on Gods free gift of grace.
One limited, Calvin
The other unlimited, Apostles

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

" god arranges all things by his sovereign counsel, in such a way that individuals are born, who are doomed from the womb to certain death, and are to glorify him by their destruction."

Welcome to the devil.

He has millions of Disciples. (Calvinists).

Why does this happen to believers?
Because they didnt do what Paul told them to do.

THIS.

Hebrews 13:9

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

- The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that  any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

One limited, Calvin
Calvin was confused by the existence of holiness....to the extent that he had no understanding at all of righteousness. The apostles preached both.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calvin was confused by the existence of holiness....to the extent that he had no understanding at all of righteousness. The apostles preached both.
You don’t know what you are talking about. Calvin below:

Holiness consists in conformity to Christ. Calvin writes, "Because the Father has reconciled us to Himself in Christ, therefore He commands us to be conformed to Christ as to our pattern." Indeed, he continues, "Unless we ardently and prayerfully devote ourselves to Christ's righteousness we do not only faithlessly revolt from our Creator, but we also abjure Him as our Savior."

This is strong language. The word ardentlyconveys the idea of eager zealousness, or as we might say today, "going all out" or "giving 100 percent." The word abjure means "to renounce strongly," as in Peter's third denial of the Lord when "he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, 'I do not know the man'" (Matt. 26:74).

Calvin leaves no room for a middle ground. Either we ardently pursue the example of Christ or else we strongly renounce Him by our conduct and lifestyle. How different this standard is from the attitude of so many of today's Christians, who are quite casual or halfhearted in their pursuit of Christlikeness. But from Calvin's matter-of-fact writing style, it is clear that he regards a zealous pursuit of holiness as the normal Christian life.

Such an ardent pursuit of Christlikeness requires a strong motivation. To find it, Calvin appeals to the blessings of God:

• God has revealed Himself as a Father; therefore, we should behave as His children. Christ has purified us through His blood; therefore, we should not become defiled by fresh pollution.
  • Christ has united us to His body as His members; therefore, we should not disgrace Him by any blemish.
  • Christ has ascended to heaven; therefore, we should leave our carnal desires behind and lift our hearts upward to Him.
  • The Holy Spirit has dedicated us as temples of God; therefore, we should exert ourselves not to profane His sanctuary, but to display His glory.
  • Both our soul and body are destined to inherit an incorruptible and never-fading crown; therefore, we should keep them pure and undefiled.
For Calvin, there is no such thing as the so-called "carnal Christian." Rather, he writes, "The apostle denies that anyone actually knows Christ who has not learned to put off the old man, corrupt with deceitful lusts, and to put on Christ." And again, "[The gospel] will be unprofitable if it does not change our heart, pervade our manners, and transform us into new creatures." He continues: "Perfection must be the final mark at which we aim, and the goal for which we strive. It is not lawful for you to make a compromise with God, to try to fulfill part of your duties and to omit others at your own pleasure."

At the same time, Calvin guards against setting too high a standard for other believers. He writes, "We should not insist on absolute perfection of the gospel in our fellow Christians, however much we may strive for it ourselves." To use a contemporary expression, we should be tough on ourselves and tender with others. Unfortunately, the opposite is too often true. We expect a lot from others while excusing ourselves.

While urgently pressing the importance of our diligent pursuit of holiness, Calvin is realistic about our meager attainments. He acknowledges that the vast majority of Christians make only slight progress. But this is not to excuse us. Rather, he writes, "Let us not cease to do the utmost; that we may incessantly go forward in the way of the Lord; and let us not despair because of the smallness of our accomplishment. Jerry Bridges

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Keturah

user-1

May 21, 2023
-
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
Welcome to the devil.

He has millions of Disciples. (Calvinists).

Why does this happen to believers?
Because they didnt do what Paul told them to do.

THIS.

Hebrews 13:9
You call a great theologian like Calvin a Devil? Who are you?

I tell you who the real devils are. The Dispensionalists, the friends of Israel, the Zionists. They are the true Devils. Are you one of them?

user-1

May 21, 2023
-
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany

One limited, Calvin
What is this agitation against Calvin? There are passages in the Bible that speak for Calvinism but also some that speak against it. This topic is complex and is not relevant to salvation; even Calvin said not to delve too deeply into it.

Why do dispensationalists in particular agitate against Calvin? Calvin is not the devil, evangelicals are.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Ive an update for you.
3 Actually.

A.) God is not a Calvinist

B.) Christ is not a Calvinist.

C.) Calvin is a Cross Denying reprobate who helped murder another Christian.

You should find another Idol to bow before, if you have to do it at all, user-1.

user-1

May 21, 2023
-
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
Ive an update for you.
3 Actually.

A.) God is not a Calvinist

B.) Christ is not a Calvinist.

C.) Calvin is a Cross Denying reprobate that helped murder another Christian.

You should find another Idol to adore, if you have to do it at all.
Now I know what kind of group you belong. You belong to the Born-Again-Movement who say Christianity "isn't a religion" who say not to listen to theologians but "only the bible". And you are a Christian Zionist who supports Israel and thinks we need to "bless Israel". Am I right with my assessment?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I tell you who the real devils are. The Dispensionalists, the friends of Israel, the Zionists. They are the true Devils. Are you one of them?
Not all in Christendom think he was a good man.

Numbers 24:9-
Whoever blesses Israel will be blessed,
And whoever curses Israel will be cursed.”

user-1

May 21, 2023
-
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
Not all in Christendom think he was a good man.
Calvin was a Christian. I do not know a single false doctrine of his that would be relevant to salvation. If you know one, feel free to name it.
Numbers 24:9-
Whoever blesses Israel will be blessed,
And whoever curses Israel will be cursed.”
Who is Israel meant here? Not the carnal, but the spiritual Israel. Christianity is the true Israel. All great theologians confirm me.

You and your group are not Christian. You are attacking true Christians because you are wolves. Paul was also attacked by false Christians, and still today Paul's children are attacked by false Christians.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calvin was a Christian. I do not know a single false doctrine of his that would be relevant to salvation. If you know one, feel free to name it.

Who is Israel meant here? Not the carnal, but the spiritual Israel. Christianity is the true Israel. All great theologians confirm me.

You and your group are not Christian. You are attacking true Christians because you are wolves. Paul was also attacked by false Christians, and still today Paul's children are attacked by false Christians.
There was no “ spiritual “ Israel then. The Jews/ Israel are one and the same.

And there are plenty of things wrong with Calvin’s teachings he got from Augustine who married Gnosticism, Paganism , Greek Philosophy with Christianity .

Reactions: amigo de christo

user-1

May 21, 2023
-
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
There was no “ spiritual “ Israel then. The Jews/ Israel are one and the same.
The true spiritual Israel was always there, those who believed God belong to the true Israel. You are not outwardly a Jew, but inwardly. Everyone in every nation who follows God is a true Jew.
And there are plenty of things wrong with Calvin’s teachings he got from Augustine who married Gnosticism, Paganism , Greek Philosophy with Christianity .
Now you're insulting the great theologian Augustine too? Just give me a single false doctrine of them that would be relevant to salvation.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Finally some discernment around here.

• Haha

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Now I know what kind of group you belong. You belong to the Born-Again-Movement who say Christianity "isn't a religion" who say not to listen to theologians but "only the bible".

Man created "Religion"

God created "CHRISTianity".

Never bow before "scholarship".

Always have the Holy Bible as your Final Authority, and the Apostle Paul as your Teacher, and the Holy Spirit will reveal the Truth to you.
Otherwise you'll just bounce from one cult to the next and from one religious indoctrination to the next.

Now, go and study the history, regarding the person that John Calvin helped to murder.

Im not going to teach the history to you, as you need to learn how to find some things out for yourself, user-1.
But i'll tell you this about your Idol.....
He was involved in the murder of a Christian, and Calvin knew He was a Christian.
The GROUP, along with Calvin,.... that was involved in the murder of this born again Believer, had him BURNED ALIVE.
They burned a Christian, to death.
Calvin didnt want Him to be burned, Calvin wanted to have his head cut off, instead.

So, there is your "theologian of all time"...

Go, and find out some things. user-1
Dont just sit there in the dark and not care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ritajanice

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The true spiritual Israel was always there, those who believed God belong to the true Israel. You are not outwardly a Jew, but inwardly. Everyone in every nation who follows God is a true Jew.

Now you're insulting the great theologian Augustine too? Just give me a single false doctrine of them that would be relevant to salvation.
Determinism and double predestination.

user-1

May 21, 2023
-
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
Im not going to teach the history to you, as you need to learn how to find some things out for yourself, user-1.
But i'll tell you this about your Idol.....
He was involved in the murder of a Christian, and Calvin knew He was a Christian.
The GROUP, along with Calvin,.... that was involved in the murder of this born again Believer, had him BURNED ALIVE.
They burned a Christian, to death.
Calvin didnt want Him to be burned, Calvin wanted to have his head cut off, instead.
You Zionist love to twist things. You make it sound as if I consider Calvin an "idol" although I only called him a great theologian.

They didn't burn a Christian, they burned an Anti-Trinitarian. Anti-Trinitarians aren't Christians. But it still wasn't right. Calvin made a mistake, I think he repented. Besides, only one person was executed during Calvin's lifetime. Not to forget that the apostle Paul murdered real Christians and repented.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
They didn't burn a Christian, they burned an Anti-Trinitarian.

He was a Christian who was not yet convinced in the doctrine of the Trinity.

Are you someone who believes that if you dont believe in the concept of the Trinity, that you are not a Christian?
Are you that messed up in your thinking, in your belief system?
You believe that Jesus died on the Cross only for those who believe in the doctrine of the Trinity, that was not even CREATED when Christ was Crucified?
You dont know this?

""Tho shalt not MURDER", is one of the 10 Commandments.
Have you ever read a bible, user-1?

Listen , user=1....They burned Servetus....they MURDERED A CHRISTIAN.....only because He would not agree to believe in the concept of the "Trinity"..... He might have believed it later, as all believers learn, and learn more.
And you are deceived enough to justify burning a Christian, for any reason?
Jesus died for His Enemies, and Calvin helped to murder a Christian.
UNDERSTAND?
GET IT?
SEE IT?
So...is This is what you have become, this is the product of your Church?.....That you think like that? That you condone murder of a Brother in the Lord?

No wonder you worship Calvin.

Last edited:

user-1

May 21, 2023
-
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
He was a Christian who was not yet convinced in the doctrine of the Trinity.

Are you someone who believes that if you dont believe in the concept of the Trinity, that you are not a Christian?
Are you that messed up in your thinking, in your belief system?
You believe that Jesus died on the Cross only for those who believe in the doctrine of the Trinity, that was not even CREATED when Christ was Crucified?
You dont know this?

""Tho shalt not MURDER", is one of the 10 Commandments.
Have you ever read a bible, user-1?

Listen , user=1....They burned Servetus....they MURDERED A CHRISTIAN.....only because He would not agree to believe in the concept of the "Trinity"..... He might have believed it later, as all believers learn, and learn more.
And you are deceived enough to justify burning a Christian, for any reason?
Jesus died for His Enemies, and Calvin helped to murder a Christian.
UNDERSTAND?
GET IT?
SEE IT?
So...is This is what you have become, this is the product of your Church?.....That you think like that? That you condone murder of a Brother in the Lord?

No wonder you worship Calvin.
Again you're twisting. I never justified, I just corrected you that he wasn't a Christian but a strict Anti-Trinitarian who even preached Unitarism. Someone who deliberately rejects the Trinity is not a Christian. The Trinity is a central doctrine. Calvin didn't even want to burn him but to behead him, but the council rejected. Anyway I agree it was wrong, but I think he repented.
Determinism and double predestination.
Perhaps they are false teachings but not essential for salvation. You will not go to hell if you accept or reject it.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Again you're twisting. I never justified, I just corrected you that he wasn't a Christian

He was a Christian at the time Calvin helped them burn him, he didn't believe in the doctrine of the Trinity., and that is why they set him on FIRE, and Calvin wanted them to cut off His head

So, i read what you wrote.
You justified murder, because you're a fan boy of a Heretic, name John Calvin.

Would Jesus have anyone burned for any reason?
Then get off your carnal justifications, user=1.

Its interesting to note that both Joan of Arc and Servetus called on "Jesus" , when they were being burned.
THe Catholics burned Joan of Arc.
Later they made her a "Catholic Saint".

Here is my advice to you, and im done, ... you need to stop looking around at everyone else, and instead look at what your allowing yourself to beiieve.

"well, as long at He was a universalist, and a this, and a that.......""""LIGHT HIM UP, JOHN"...

Wake up.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was a Christian at the time Calvin helped them burn him, he didn't believe in the doctrine of the Trinity., and that is why they set him on FIRE, and Calvin wanted them to cut off His head

So, i read what you wrote.
You justified murder, because you're a fan boy of a Heretic, name John Calvin.

Would Jesus have anyone burned for any reason?
Then get off your carnal justifications, user=1.

Its interesting to note that both Joan of Arc and Servetus called on "Jesus" , when they were being burned.
THe Catholics burned Joan of Arc.
Later they made her a "Catholic Saint".

Here is my advice to you, and im done, ... you need to stop looking around at everyone else, and instead look at what your allowing yourself to beiieve.

"well, as long at He was a universalist, and a this, and a that.......""""LIGHT HIM UP, JOHN"...

Wake up.
Heed not calvin . Time to learn our bibles . The lambs are gonna follow Christ . Far too many are decieving
and have decieved the peoples for a long , long time .
Calvin had tribunals . And they did not follow the pattern Christ had taught . The man was a butcher .
I know most folks will say , BUT HEY he didnt actually put anyone to death . YEAH but he never stopped it either .
He encouraged it . The jews didnt physically put JESUS to death either, but JESUS even told
pilate they had the greater sin . Just cause one dont physcially kill another , DONT MEAN they aint just as guilty .
Many had no problems with men and women being put to death . Calvin was not the man of GOD many have made him out to be .
PS , The RCC is highly dangerous too as are many others . Time to BIBLE UP and learn THAT JESUS .