Justification from a different angle

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Justification is a legal term: a declaration of innocence, enabling the person who is ‘declared righteous’ to go free. The stunning message of the Gospel is that “God justifies the ungodly” (Romans 4:5), and that He does so not on the basis of anything deserving that we might have done, but “freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.” (Romans 3:24) In other words, because of Jesus’ death, those sinners who put their trust in Him are declared ‘innocent’ instead of ‘guilty’ at God’s judgement seat.

A lot of us struggle with this idea, because it sounds like a legal fiction - as if God is simply pretending that our sins never actually happened, just because we believe in Jesus. It may however be easier to grasp what is going on if we remind ourselves of the nature of the crime for which we are being ‘put on trial’ in the first place. For although, when we think about ‘sin’, what naturally come to mind are things such as lying, theft, sexual immorality, murder and so on, these are really just the symptoms of something much more fundamental: the sin of rebellion against God. High treason, in other words. This is an unfamiliar concept to most of us (the last person to be prosecuted for it in the UK was William Joyce - “Lord Haw Haw” - in 1946), and we may be unaware how serious it is (in fact, the death penalty for treason was not abolished until 1998).

Treason is what all sinners stand condemned for, and what we need to be acquitted of. Our other sins (whether grave or trivial) are merely the evidence against us - this is what the Bible means when it says people will be judged “according to what they have done.” (Romans 2:6; Revelation 20:13) So if we are declared ‘righteous’, it will be with respect to the sin of rebellion. Our other sins are not thereby being ignored or ‘brushed under the carpet’; they are all included under the one umbrella.

How are we justified? “God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of His blood. - to be received by faith” (Romans 3:25) His death is the sin offering that blots out all our sins - leaving no evidence against us.

This makes it a little clearer (I hope) why in God’s eyes we deserve death, why Jesus’ death can substitute for our own, and why our personal attitude towards Him should make such a difference. For ‘believing in Jesus’ is not primarily an intellectual conviction that Jesus died for my sins (even though for many people this forms part of their conversion); it is a change of allegiance, a personal commitment to Him as both Saviour and Lord. When God “justifies those who have faith in Jesus” (Romans 3:26), He is making a declaration that He considers those who follow Jesus to be innocent of treason - in other words, we are no longer regarded as rebels but are ‘on His side’. And this is no legal fiction!

Reactions: Nancy and Enoch111

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The challenge is always to be towards others what God is to us. Was God merciful to us? Are we as merciful towards others?

So then for us the challenge of God being a justifier of the ungodly is set forth. Does it say...the ungodly Christians? Does it say only the ungodly that become Christians?

No, and that is the difficulty.

Jesus often used the hated Samaritans to make His points about mercy and faithfulness. And the people hated it. They hated that Jesus always seemed to be challenging them on their understanding of righteousness. The protest was always..."only if they become Jews like us...THEN they can be justified"

But are we really any different than they were?

The attitude is...first they have to become like ME....THEN they can be justified. (As if God needed our approval or we were the paradigm of righteousness ourselves) ..."only if they accept Jesus...the way we see it."

But who is a judge of that?

The Judaizers are a prime example of this. They believed Gentile Christians needed to become Jews first...then they could be justified. Why leave justification entirely up to God?

So then do we really believe that God justifies the ungodly...(without our religiously constraining "Christian" strings attached)?

Most will not be able to do this. They will protest the sheer ungodliness of it. But if we can...then we will be justified as one who doesn't judge but leaves judgment to God.

Judge not and you won't be judged. That is the point of it.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 4:5 tells me that my identity in Christ is that I am righteous before Him...even when I blow it!

So now that I have this identity that I am the righteousness of God in Him...the only true and faithful response to this is to live according to my new identity in Christ!

The fact that He says I am righteous even when my behaviour is ungodly tells me that once I am in Christ, my identity in Christ can't ever change back to becoming unrighteous before Him...even if I commit unrighteous deeds.

However the natural (supernatural) outcropping of understanding my new identity in Christ (that I am righteous) should be that I will exhibit righteous behaviour (1 John 3:7).

In declaring me righteous (in justification) it has to be true that God is calling those things that are not as though they are (Romans 4:17)...because it is impossible for God to lie (Hebrews 6:18, Titus 1:2)...and the fact that He declares me righteous when I am ungodly (Romans 4:5) indicates to me that He is speaking into existence a righteousness on my part (again, Romans 4:17), that is going to be practical in my life (Matthew 5:6, Romans 5:19, 1 John 3:7).