Looking for advice: Can women be pastors

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
OK, this was about can they be pastors?

I give that a big fat NO.

Sure they can!!!
It seems in this day and age, anyone can be a pastor.. they even get it 'on line'.

Anyone CAN be!
*But that does not follow that anyone, male or female, who choses to be..is called , chosen, and anointed by God for service!!!!
Lets call a spade a spade...many men who call themselves pastors should NOT be behind the pulpit!!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm looking for insight on this topic (not a debate) My family is Methodist and growing up I attended a Methodist church and women as pastors was accepted. Where I am living now, there is a huge church of Christ population (I live in a small town, not many church options) and after attending their church for the last few years this topic is still uncertain in my mind. Where I attend a female can't lead a prayer if there is a male present, nor teach a class if a male is in it. Any role that a woman "has authority" over a male they are not permitted to do. I would appreciate any insight on these roles. I am not looking to debate the subject, I know it can be sensitive - just looking for some clarity. Thank you.
Good question. I enjoy questions like this.

The 12 Apostles....all men.

The Apostle who replaced Judas...man.

Timothy, a man, hand picked by Paul.

Scripture and ancient historical Christian writings have only men as church leaders. Not sure when the practice of women as pastors began. Do you know?

Post #15 and #17 by @Truth7t7 sums up the rest of my thoughts.

If it wasn't for a certain woman we wouldn't even be having this discussion. :)

Hope that helps!!

Mary

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good question. I enjoy questions like this.

• Pope Joan, 855–857, (Ioannes Anglicus) was, according to popular legend, a woman who reigned as pope for a few years during the Middle Ages. ...
  • Most versions of her story describe her as a talented and learned woman who disguised herself as a man, often at the behest of a lover.
  • Fell of her horse and lost the baby.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • Pope Joan, 855–857, (Ioannes Anglicus) was, according to popular legend, a woman who reigned as pope for a few years during the Middle Ages. ...
  • Most versions of her story describe her as a talented and learned woman who disguised herself as a man, often at the behest of a lover.
  • Fell of her horse and lost the baby.
Hmmmm....I wrote 78 words (to someone else, not you) and you quote 7 of them to make a point that has nothing to do with what I said or the subject at hand.

"MOST VERSIONS of her story...."????? How many versions of this fictional story are there????

Love, Mary

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What does it matter what the *scholars* say or not? What saith the Holy Spirit? That is the only thing that matters.

Enoch,

We wouldn't have Bibles in English if it were not for linguistic scholars who know/knew Hebrew, Aramaic & Greek.

Your scoffing at scholars is self-defeating as you depend on them for whatever Bible translation you use.

As for 'What saith the Holy Spirit? That is the only thing that matters', in my community a church prayed and prayed for a man dying of cancer. One person in the church received a revelation that the man would be healed. The church prayed for him for 3 years for the promised healing.

HE DIED!

'What saith the Holy Spirit' is a subjective way to determine what the Bible says and is unreliable because we are sinful human Christians who sometimes get it wrong.

I have found it better to rely on interpretation of Scripture - as hard as that task is.

Oz

Reactions: Truth7t7

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To paraphrase, Christian women, you are not permitted by God to preach or teach in the local church, nor to assume any spiritual authority therein. God appoints elders, and elders are always men. They are to be the pastors, evangelists, preachers and teachers within the assembly. They are also to be the overseers (bishops) of the flock, to ensure that the false teaching of women as pastors is rejected out of hand (along with any other false teachings).

That's your personal opinion. Exegesis of the text in context of the Book of 1 Timothy arrives at a very different conclusion.

See, N T Wright (an eminent NT scholar), Women's Service in the Church: The Biblical Basis.

Oz

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, this thread is not about female popes or other feminists.

Is Johnny doing ok?
I agree with you. This thread is not about popes or feminist. Soooo why was it brought up?

A Internet troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

But I get it.....Your lonely:(. You need someone to talk to. Some have drug addictions they can't beat. Others have troll addictions they can't beat. I will feed your addiction. I will engage with you.

Who is Johnny?

Mary (praying for the addicted)

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree, this thread is not about female popes or other feminists.

Is Johnny doing ok?

Triumph,

However, it has to do with women in ministry.

I know it's difficult to shake the traditional position and examine whether it is consistent biblically. It seems to threaten both men and women.

Since Billy Graham promoted the view that his daughter, Anne Graham Lotz, was a better preach than he was, did God get it wrong by giving Anne a teaching / preaching gift?

After all, one of the outcomes of the Day of Pentecost was that ...

In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy (Acts 2:17 NIV).​

The outpouring of the Holy Spirit is not limited to gender specific people. See also Gal 3:28.

'All people' includes both men AND women.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OK, this was about can they be pastors?

I give that a big fat NO.

The Church of the Nazarene gives its reply as a big fat YES!

From its inception, the Church of the Nazarene has recognised from Scripture and history that God calls women to preach and pastor. Brad Mercer has expounded on this in his article, ‘Women in Ministry and the Church of the Nazarene’ (Mercer 2013). In this article Brad states the Church of the Nazarene’s stance clearly.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Church of the Nazarene gives its reply as a big fat YES!

From its inception, the Church of the Nazarene has recognised from Scripture and history that God calls women to preach and pastor. Brad Mercer has expounded on this in his article, ‘Women in Ministry and the Church of the Nazarene’ (Mercer 2013). In this article Brad states the Church of the Nazarene’s stance clearly.
Hi OzSpen,

I have visited your blog and I noticed that you quote Irenaeus and Tertullian and Hippolytus to make your point on other subject matters. Why don't you agree with them on this subject?

Also, since The Church of the Nazarene was founded 1900 years AFTER the death of Christ should they be quoted as a reliable source?

Respectfully, Mary