Mature Spiritual Christians No Longer Need the Written Word?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Scriptures also say that Christ has "sheep from another pen" that He must gather also, but you don't see us all dropping on all fours and eating grass.
And this word from Him you did not hear or perceive either. For if you had, you would have discerned it spiritually and known that He spoke of the fold of the children born of the spirit of God. In which case you would feed His lambs by what is written and His sheep by what is discerned by revelation according to the prophecy of Joel.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm saying, and I'm speaking from experience here, that occasionally, no matter how familiar a passage is, I can read it one day and it will speak directly to me, or it will become clear and to me that is awesome when God does that.
Of course it is...and no one is suggesting that stop. That is the Beginning. But when you are ready, He as many more things to say, which He has promised in spirit. That is the End, "a life-giving spirit."

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your post #55 and my post #59 and your post #72

Cross examination? Is that how you see it? Perhaps it is only discussion and/or an effort to understand and/or to avoid any misunderstanding. If we are both led by God will He not lead each of us correctly? People are not all in the same level of their walk with God and people are not all intended to be precisely the same part of the Body of Christ.
I see, I thought that you quoted me saying this...
Even so should we approach it, so why do you argue so strongly about the errors you believe you see in men? Can a man's heart be right without having all of doctrines established in him according to me or according to you? You believe that what you believe is right... well believe it or not I believe what I believe is right. If we are both sincere and strive as best we even though out beliefs are different which one of us will God reject? Is not the answer in this verse?
But that was actually your response. No personal offense but I find on this forum, the separation between what one quotes and what one says is very faint. It seems there needs to be a clearer line of demarcation between the two and that is what confused me.
Now, where were we? LOL

Reactions: amadeus

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Spirit increases our ability to comprehend the word, but as Jesus said not one 'jot or tittle' will pass away. Jots and tittles were things written down in ink by the way, not extrabiblical spiritual concepts.

Even with the most familiar of verses, you will find new Spiritual truths the more the Spirit illuminates your reading.
You are talking out of both sides of your mouth...contracting yourself with "extrabiblical spiritual concepts." You are guilty of your own accusations.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But go ahead, keep on trying to convince us that you are above the Scriptures, by using Scriptures to prove your point. If you really are above the Scriptures, why lower yourself back down to using them for debate? You ought be able to end this entire debate without touching the Scriptures; after all, we are all still on the 'milk', and you are on the 'meat' right? Then why do you need to use the milk to debate?
Excellent points. I guess it is their idea of humility, by humbling themselves into the morass of Scripture to rescue us unspiritual morons. LOL

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see, I thought that you quoted me saying this...
But that was actually your response. No personal offense but I find on this forum, the separation between what one quotes and what one says is very faint. It seems there needs to be a clearer line of demarcation between the two and that is what confused me.
Now, where were we? LOL
No problem! That difficulty is one reason I increase the size of my font. If the person I am quoting uses the same font at the same size I will decrease the size of their font and even change it to another font to make it easier to distinguish which is which.

As to where we are, I would guess that we are here.
Give God the glory!

Reactions: prism

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course it is...and no one is suggesting that stop. That is the Beginning. But when you are ready, He as many more things to say, which He has promised in spirit. That is the End, "a life-giving spirit."
As Christians we have been born again by the Spirit and Word. We have the Holy Spirit abiding in us.
So are you saying, you have reached the End? Have you attained? No more growth needed?

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are talking out of both sides of your mouth...contracting yourself with "extrabiblical spiritual concepts." You are guilty of your own accusations.

This makes no sense... I stated that the only way we get any Spiritual knowledge is through the Spirit enlightening us to the Scriptures. No contradiction.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean I'm just starting out? I hope I never stop having the Holy Spirit bring the scriptures alive for me. There is plenty that is written on my heart but I'm also open to new stuff.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Christians we have been born again by the Spirit and Word. We have the Holy Spirit abiding in us.
So are you saying, you have reached the End? Have you attained? No more growth needed?
No, as long as we who are alive in the spirit remain in the world, we have not fully attained all in God. Nonetheless, we have been given a specific direction to "follow" Christ, not in the ways of this world, but in the way of God, whom is spirit...and He expects to "find [us] so doing."

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This makes no sense... I stated that the only way we get any Spiritual knowledge is through the Spirit enlightening us to the Scriptures. No contradiction.
No...you left out the fact that you first badmouthed the "spiritual increases" as being "extrabiblical." Your flip-flopping contradictions are all here in writing.

Reactions: Episkopos

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean I'm just starting out? I hope I never stop having the Holy Spirit bring the scriptures alive for me. There is plenty that is written on my heart but I'm also open to new stuff.
No, not if you are "having the Holy Spirit bring the scriptures alive." Hallelujah!

But the process and plan of God includes an elementary time of law and written scripture, and then also a time of being lead into all truth by the Holy Spirit. We live in a time where both are actively being used by God. But some here would like to believe that there is no end to the tablet medium, as if we are not going to leave this world naked as we came in, but that we will carry our Bibles through the pearly gates. Which simply isn't true...and therefore, we should be making adjustments to our grip on such a worldly and fleshly perspective. Some apparently prefer the world.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, not if you are "having the Holy Spirit bring the scriptures alive." Hallelujah!

But the process and plan of God includes an elementary time of law and written scripture, and then also a time of being lead into all truth by the Holy Spirit. We live in a time where both are actively being used by God. But some here would like to believe that there is no end to the tablet medium, as if we are not going to leave this world naked as we came in, but that we will carry our Bibles through the pearly gates. Which simply isn't true...and therefore, we should be making adjustments to our grip on such a worldly and fleshly perspective. Some apparently prefer the world.
Of course we won't take our bibles into heaven. We will no longer need the written word as we will be with The Word himself.

Reactions: ScottA and Mjh29

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No...you left out the fact that you first badmouthed the "spiritual increases" as being "extrabiblical." Your flip-flopping contradictions are all here in writing.

Spiritual increase is not the problem. The problem is when you say you can get this increase outside of expressly The Holy Spirit illuminating the Word

Apart from the Spirit's illumination, the Word will not be understood.
Apart from the Word the Spirit does not illuminate.

You are twisting words to try and justify your warped and twisted view that we can be illuminated apart from the Word of God through the Spirit's power.

The problem is you are trapped. You say you've outgrown the need for the written word, but the only way you can 'prove' it is through the very instrument you claim not to need! So, you'll twist words and play games because the Word of God has clearly not effected you; I will pray that the Spirit does, because without His guidance, you are treading down a path that does not lead anywhere good.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spiritual increase is not the problem. The problem is when you say you can get this increase outside of expressly The Holy Spirit illuminating the Word

Apart from the Spirit's illumination, the Word will not be understood.
Apart from the Word the Spirit does not illuminate.

You are twisting words to try and justify your warped and twisted view that we can be illuminated apart from the Word of God through the Spirit's power.

The problem is you are trapped. You say you've outgrown the need for the written word, but the only way you can 'prove' it is through the very instrument you claim not to need! So, you'll twist words and play games because the Word of God has clearly not effected you; I will pray that the Spirit does, because without His guidance, you are treading down a path that does not lead anywhere good.
Those are not my words...those are terms you have come up with, and you didn't get them from the scriptures either, like "illumination."

I have done nothing but quote the scriptures and show how we are not to abide in the trappings of the world by staying in the written word alone, when we are actually supposed to press on in the Spirit.

So...apparently, you have such an ax to grind that you would say all of that about me, saying I said things I did not say, and all because I said what the scriptures already say. That is called "prejudice." You have a real problem.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent points. I guess it is their idea of humility, by humbling themselves into the morass of Scripture to rescue us unspiritual morons. LOL
You are agreeing with someone who is misquoting and giving false testimony, literally making things up that I never said.