Mature Spiritual Christians No Longer Need the Written Word?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I still think I need a bible for the Holy Spirit to use as a tool or a text book, but I also believe that the Holy Spirit can teach me directly in my spirit without the use of the bible. But also that anything he does teach us in that way will be confirmed in scripture.

A few years ago I was admitted to hospital with no chance to pack what I needed and I had such peace about it that I felt I was in the place God wanted me to be and it was almost like a retreat. I didn't have my bible but spent a lot of time praying for my fellow patients and the medical and nursing staff as well as the cleaners and tea ladies etc.

What I'm taking a long time saying is that whilst I was there I realised that it was more important to spend genuine one-to-one time with God than it was to read the bible every day out of habit. And to some people this daily reading of their bibles is paramount and take precedence over a personal quiet time with God . Of course it is important for us to read our bibles but not just out of habit, if that is what we do we get very little from it.
That's great!

Yes, there is both...and in the world we do need both. The original post poses the question of at some point in spiritual maturity not needing the written word...and that is a specific consideration. But, yes, here and now we do need and rely on both, and should, both are from God for these times. The discussion seemed to go awry because some are offended with the idea that we have both and should sometime transition out of the old and into the new (out of the world and the flesh and all that goes with it, and into the Spirit and the kingdom). I believe the whole thread was a reaction of tipping the pendulum which created a backlash of misunderstanding - and, wow, what an emotional out burst!

Thanks for the comments!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't seem to understand why you must interject yourself into a post that never mentioned your name and then react like it did. Paranoid?
Sometimes it appears to me you have done well in staying on God's side, but then at other times it seems you rather quickly jump on the bandwagon of the party to which you want to belong. The Book of James especially comes to mind.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes it appears to me you have done well in staying on God's side, but then at other times it seems you rather quickly jump on the bandwagon of the party to which you want to belong. The Book of James especially comes to mind.
I'm clueless, which party? And why do we have so much trouble sticking to the topic rather than sizing up one another and pronouncing judgment with personal innuendos?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm clueless, which party? And why do we have so much trouble sticking to the topic rather than sizing up one another and pronouncing judgment with personal innuendos?
If you don't understand then either I am wrong or you have missed the boat or even both. I have pronounced no judgment. Rather I have expressed what I received from your responses here. Let us pray that God will lead us both along His pathway without regard to who else is or is not walking on it already.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you don't understand then either I am wrong or you have missed the boat or even both. I have pronounced no judgment. Rather I have expressed what I received from your responses here. Let us pray that God will lead us both along His pathway without regard to who else is or is not walking on it already.
Let's also pray we can stick on topic instead of all this interpersonal psychoanalyzing of one another.:eek:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's also pray we can stick on topic instead of all this interpersonal psychoanalyzing of one another.:eek:
This is also part and parcel of your topic if you are able to see it. I am not psychoanalyzing anyone. I expressed what I see from what has been written on this thread as well as by God in the scriptures. As long as people are more interested in patting each other on the back than really searching together for God's Truth, what more are you expecting?

Hisman

Mar 31, 2019
westen
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Because these people are so deceived they talk out all 6 sides of their mouths.

"these people" eh.

So why on earth are you here?

I don't read you teaching these people, I just see only judging and talking 'about' them.
You obviously are not here to add to, or help.

Just come down from your ivory tower and speak to - 'these people'.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is also part and parcel of your topic if you are able to see it.
Let me refresh your memory as to what I wrote on the OP...
Topic:
Mature Spiritual Christians No Longer Need the Written Word?

For those of you who have bought into that crazy notion, can you please describe what is going on in Revelation 6 without looking at it?

"Why can't I look at it?"

"Why?, you said you no longer need the written Word."
The topic is to deal with the problem of downplaying God's written Word, not giving our assessment of each other's faults.

1 Corinthians 4:5 (KJV) Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me refresh your memory as to what I wrote on the OP...

The topic is to deal with the problem of downplaying God's written Word, not giving our assessment of each other's faults.

1 Corinthians 4:5 (KJV) Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
Again even in this you are not interested in really discussing your own question... only in declaring its correctness. You have decided you are right [which is OK for we all may be guilty of this], but you have no real interest in even reading much less considering what anyone honestly opposing your point of view has to say. Is that discussion? You may have been less inclined than some of your friends to use short sarcastic and even personally derogatory remarks empty of depth in response to honest oppositional posts, but you are not without fault in this either.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"these people" eh.

I don't read you teaching these people, I just see only judging and talking 'about' them.

Yes, that's right, "these people."

If you haven't seen me teaching "these people" you haven't been paying attention. Now run along and coddle the heretics some more and try to play the hero. I'll let you get your last word in. :)

Reactions: tzcho2

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all in need of God’s Word. However, many Christians spend all their time memorizing verses rather than living the message. No one opens the box of a new computer and keeps the instructions, while throwing out the computer. Yet, this is exactly what I see many Christians doing on this board and in real life.

Reminds me of the tags you see on pillows, “remove under penalty of law” - I wonder if that counts if you are removing and discarding the pillow from the tag?

The message of the gospel is what counts, not how many verses you have memorized or how many references to chapter and verse you can produce to shame your neighbor - reference numbers aren’t even inspired so calm down. Write His Word on your heart

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those of you who have bought into that crazy notion, can you please describe what is going on in Revelation 6 without looking at it?

"Why can't I look at it?"

"Why?, you said you no longer need the written Word."

Who was it that said the "written Word" was no longer needed? Can you show us a single quote from anyone who said that specifically? I don't think you are able to post a single quote to that effect by anyone who has posted on this thread as of this date. You started off with a presumption in your OP which from what I have seen contains incorrect information or an erroneous conclusion based on what anyone has actually posted on the forum recently.

But presuming someone used the term "mature spiritual Christian" how mature must a person be in the things of God in order to have it all written in his heart? This is NOT speaking of memorization. This is speaking of what Jesus had? Who here is qualified now to make a final determination with regard to another person's maturity in the things of God? Certainly not me! Apparently you consider yourself a competent judge. I wonder what God woudl think of that?

But you and others here have acted as if you had all of the correct answers while you laugh at those whose beliefs on this subject differ from your own. God laughs but who is in the same place that He is? You @prism may not have made the mocking remarks, but when you put your "like" to their personal, derogatory, mocking posts did that leave you blameless?

there are some here(I won't name names) who belittle God's written words by saying things like it is only for the immature or babes.

And was not this post of yours not accusatory against someone whose words likely are paraphrased at best and certainly out of context? What kind of a fair judgment would any impartial judge be expected to make?
Excellent points. I guess it is their idea of humility, by humbling themselves into the morass of Scripture to rescue us unspiritual morons. LOL

Who is this "their" you accuse of a false humility? Is this a proper argument or were they simply mouthed/written words to please the person to whom you were responding?

How would Jesus as the judge rule on your usage? Would He not tell you to first take it to the person or persons you so accuse? If not received to then take it before 2-3 elders before taking it before the Church...? And to take it before the all members of this forum would be none of those, would it? But do you slap yourself on the back for doing it and would Jesus join you in your self-congratulation?

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"these people" eh.

Because HE HAS A RIGHT TO BE HERE.
Who is teachable? the response is always judgmental, defensive snark...like your "ivory tower" comment.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who was it that said the "written Word" was no longer needed? Can you show us a single quote from anyone who said that specifically? I don't think you are able to post a single quote to that effect by anyone who has posted on this thread as of this date. You started off with a presumption in your OP which from what I have seen contains incorrect information or an erroneous conclusion based on what anyone has actually posted on the forum recently.

But presuming someone used the term "mature spiritual Christian" how mature must a person be in the things of God in order to have it all written in his heart? This is NOT speaking of memorization. This is speaking of what Jesus had? Who here is qualified now to make a final determination with regard to another person's maturity in the things of God? Certainly not me! Apparently you consider yourself a competent judge. I wonder what God woudl think of that?

But you and others here have acted as if you had all of the correct answers while you laugh at those whose beliefs on this subject differ from your own. God laughs but who is in the same place that He is? You @prism may not have made the mocking remarks, but when you put your "like" to their personal, derogatory, mocking posts did that leave you blameless?

And was not this post of yours not accusatory against someone whose words likely are paraphrased at best and certainly out of context? What kind of a fair judgment would any impartial judge be expected to make?

Who is this "their" you accuse of a false humility? Is this a proper argument or were they simply mouthed/written words to please the person to whom you were responding?

How would Jesus as the judge rule on your usage? Would He not tell you to first take it to the person or persons you so accuse? If not received to then take it before 2-3 elders before taking it before the Church...? And to take it before the all members of this forum would be none of those, would it? But do you slap yourself on the back for doing it and would Jesus join you in your self-congratulation?
Seems to me you're always defending the heretical believers.

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems to me you're always defending the heretical believers.
Am I?
What is the measure of a heretical believer? Who applies the yardstick? If the Bible is to be the yardstick, should we call on a Catholic, a Methodist, a Presbyterian, a Southern Baptist, a Pentecostal or Mormon, a Jehovah Witness or a Quaker... or some other un associated believer to take the measurement? Any participant in this thread or even on this forum may need to be disqualified due to bias.

Reactions: Hisman

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am I?
What is the measure of a heretical believer? Who applies the yardstick? If the Bible is to be the yardstick, should we call on a Catholic, a Methodist, a Presbyterian, a Southern Baptist, a Pentecostal or Mormon, a Jehovah Witness or a Quaker... or some other un associated believer to take the measurement? Any participant in this thread or even on this forum may need to be disqualified due to bias.

If I were you (since you're self-admittingly ignorant of knowing what makes a person heretical) would be really really careful from here on out.

Why do I say this? Due to the fact you assure those who believe in both a false Christ and a false gospel that they are in fact true believing Christians, which is against Scripture. Note John 8:24 and Galatians 1:8-10 respectively.

You will stand before God for your assuring them with their false beliefs and false Christs that they are true Christians.

"We" on the other hand will continue to warn them and refute their teachings, and yours, Jude 1:3 as it is biblical to do so.

You really need to sit back and consider what you're doing in assuring those who hold to a false Christ and false gospel that heaven is their home. There is zero biblical teachings that backs you up in said endeavor. You are on very very dangerous ground, sir.

I'd recommend you do some reading up, especially on Scripture, and perhaps Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults. I also recommend you listen to a podcast entitled Cultish. There you will hear testimonies of those who came out of Cults you protect as true "denominations" on how they were deceived and knew if they died with those beliefs, they were not true believers and would end up in hell.

Read very carefully John 8:24.

Last edited:
Reactions: tzcho2

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I were you (since you're self-admittingly ignorant of knowing what makes a person heretical) would be really really careful from here on out.

Why do I say this? Due to the fact you assure those who believe in both a false Christ and a false gospel that they are in fact true believing Christians, which is against Scripture. Note John 8:24 and Galatians 1:8-10 respectively.

You will stand before God for your assuring them with their false beliefs and false Christs that they are true Christians.

"We" on the other hand will continue to warn them and refute their teachings, and yours, Jude 1:3 as it is biblical to do so.

You really need to sit back and consider what you're doing in assuring those who hold to a false Christ and false gospel that heaven is their home. There is zero biblical teachings that backs you up in said endeavor. You are on very very dangerous ground, sir.
Very simply you did not read carefully or correctly understand what I wrote. I never admitted nor confirmed ignorance. I was asking some questions which is not the same thing at all. No one has attempted to answer my questions.

Reactions: Hisman and aspen