Medical marijuana...it's becoming accepted by old and young?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul I don't use medical marijuana but I was on powerful pain meds for a couple years. There is a need for pain medications and they're still working on good solutions and near to some really good break thrus. Perhaps in the years to come they will have some better solutions.

I switched to alcohol once a week instead of the strong narcotics they had me on and that helped greatly. If I use marijuana I get super paranoid due to my schizophrenia so that isn't an option. I'm currently just trying to see if I can endure the pain without it. I think that would be better now that my pain tolerance has increased. But pain causes a psycho-logic effect that must be addressed, and that has been pain relief from time to time.

I took Tramadol for a while and took it for ingrown toenail surgeries. It works OK for pain and is easy to stop using compared to standard opioids. It is a good idea to talk to a doctor regarding pain medication options that are less addictive.

That said, I would never use marijuana, I don't believe in its pain relieving abilities and think it has hallucinogenic problems, and it might induce psychosis in some people.

(Is there a link between marijuana use and psychiatric disorders? | National Institute on Drug Abuse) "Recent research suggests that smoking high-potency marijuana every day could increase the chances of developing psychosis by nearly five times compared to people who have never used marijuana. The amount of drug used, the age at first use, and genetic vulnerability have all been shown to influence this relationship"

The bible does prescribe alcohol for some conditions although perhaps medicine has evolved since then and better solutions exist:

Proverbs 31:6-7

King James Version

6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I know the name of every little part and detail of this plant...even though I never wanted to. Sigh.
It's great for medical use. As long as I don't have to use it. One time when I tried it for pain, I was laying down with my eyes closed. I saw a pink wall. It started bulging out in spots, and then fists came through. It was a mighty man. I did an about-face and was looking at a small grey alien. I haven't used it again. I'm far too old for that kind of stuff!

Reactions: Mantis

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I switched to alcohol once a week instead of the strong narcotics they had me on and that helped greatly. If I use marijuana I get super paranoid due to my schizophrenia so that isn't an option. I'm currently just trying to see if I can endure the pain without it. I think that would be better now that my pain tolerance has increased. But with pain it causes a psycho-logic effect that must be addressed, and that has been pain relief from time to time.
This is where the science comes in.... they have fine tuned EVERYTHING.... extracting certain properties... enhancing characteristics...

When you walk into a government run pot shop... It's like walking into a drug store... everything is secured in a vault.... I think a lot of people have really bad images playing in their heads... about what a pot shop is.

Reactions: dev553344

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish I didn’t have to take anything for pain. How can you deal with constant pain without some kind of medication? I want to be of sound mind and fully sober for our Lord but I don’t think I can. This life is so hard. Come soon Lord Jesus.

Reactions: marks and dev553344

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is a lot of mixing up going on here.... I am not an advocate of drugs by any means... but I'm telling you... the science behind this plant is amazing.... Just my opinion... I would rather my loved ones take something medicinal and natural over any narcotic any day.

Anyways.... I have no idea why I came here to this thread... but sure glad I did because now I am going to spend my afternoon thinking about Truman's comment about the dog food. Doesn't take much to make Addy happy... LOL

Reactions: marks and dev553344

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wish I didn’t have to take anything for pain. How can you deal with constant pain without some kind of medication? I want to be of sound mind and fully sober for our Lord but I don’t think I can. This life is so hard. Come soon Lord Jesus.
Lord, I ask that You help Mantis find the balance that he needs in regards to using Your pain relievers responsibly and without guilt. I ask in Jesus' name, amen.

Reactions: Mantis

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh Dear @Mantis ... I got carried away with the foolishness and did not see your comment.
I am so deeply sorry that you are suffering... physical pain is a heavy burden... one that I don't
think I would be able to carry... I can do emotional pain upside down and with my eyes closed...
but I am such a whimp when it comes to physical pain.

As Truman has just said... I hope you can find a balance that works to at least keep you level... so
that you can receive some sort of quality of life. Bless you dear one.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh Dear @Mantis ... I got carried away with the foolishness and did not see your comment.
I am so deeply sorry that you are suffering... physical pain is a heavy burden... one that I don't
think I would be able to carry... I can do emotional pain upside down and with my eyes closed...
but I am such a whimp when it comes to physical pain.

As Truman has just said... I hope you can find a balance that works to at least keep you level... so
that you can receive some sort of quality of life. Bless you dear one.
Thank you sincerely

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marijuana is not as harmless as our generation, in the West, makes it out to be, imo

It is a psychoactive plant that may have secondary effects beneficial to remedy certain ailments in certain individuals. It is a plant with wide-ranging effects that, yes, may relieve great distress. It may also, however, bring about unwanted effects, especially in individuals who are prone to psychiatric problems. One of the greater concerns is the potency of many available cannabis products, especially regarding edibles...this stuff is not to be taken lightly!

Like any other mind-altering substance, it's going to affect everyone differently. Most people seem to tolerate it fine enough on a social level, a harmless good time, but there is a percentage of those who do not respond well and who might get really loopy. Also, of course, the amount you take has a significant impact on the ways it affects your thinking (paranoia, excitability, mood, etc.). Also, your age/level of development, tolerance level...at the end of the day, there are a lot of variables!

In my humble opinion, it's best to just live life sober and clear-minded for the Lord. Then again, Paul did recommend for Timothy to have a little wine for his frequent infirmities (1 Timothy 5:23), so maybe a little marijuana is ok? Do what you feel is right, in your heart, according to your particular life and based on your particular reasons for feeling the need to consume it.

I would implore anybody dealing with a particular ailment, however, to acknowledge the incredible tolerance for pain and hardship bestowed upon most of us by the Lord. Humans have this incredible capacity, each his/her own level, by the grace of God. I think there is significance and value in dealing with the ailments and distresses of life solely through prayer, with faith and vigilence...

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would implore anybody dealing with a particular ailment, however, to acknowledge the incredible tolerance for pain and hardship bestowed upon most of us by the Lord. Humans have this incredible capacity, each his/her own level, by the grace of God. I think there is significance and value in dealing with the ailments and distresses of life solely through prayer, with faith and vigilence...
I am not trying issue forth a judgement on you... but this sounds CRUEL... I wonder if you have ever dealt with EXCRUCIATING... UNRELENTING and CONSTANT pain over long periods of time. This is the issue here... I don't think anyone is condoning recreational use...

Reactions: Helen and dev553344

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not trying issue forth a judgement on you... but this sounds CRUEL... I wonder if you have ever dealt with EXCRUCIATING... UNRELENTING and CONSTANT pain over long periods of time. This is the issue here... I don't think anyone is condoning recreational use...

Hey Addy,

Yes I sure have! I'm not only speaking as a former drug addict, but also one who has undergone stretches of my life of incredible suffering, filled with suicidal contemplation/attempts and terrible agony. I apologize if my remarks came across as cruel, obviously not my intention. I am, however, speaking from the heart and mean what I wrote. I also stated to do what you "felt was right, in your heart". If someone has a noble intention for using weed, for a serious medical condition, that is their body, their choice. I will never judge.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes I sure have! I'm not only speaking as a former drug addict, but also one who has undergone stretches of my life of incredible suffering, filled with suicidal contemplation/attempts and terrible agony. I apologize if my remarks came across as cruel, obviously not my intention. I am, however, speaking from the heart and mean what I wrote. I also stated to do what you "felt was right, in your heart". If someone has a noble intention for using weed, for a serious medical condition, that is their body, their choice. I will never judge.
This is a very good conversation... I have suffered with severe Chronic Depression for most of my adult life... I have visited different degrees of despair that would not end.... over decades... and God kept me... and cared for me... however... physical pain is a whole new ball game...
I have a friend who fell flat on her face over two years ago... she got a concussion... She has been plagued with migrane headaches on a daily basis since.... They have had her on all kinds of pain meds... but she is such a tiny little thing... and she can't handle any of it ... it all makes her sick...
My heart breaks for her.... she has NO quality of life... she must sit in the quiet and in the dark. That is where I am coming from... BLESSINGS to you.... absolutely no insult meant on my part... Your words have been most compassionate and honest here... Thank you.

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a very good conversation... I have suffered with severe Chronic Depression for most of my adult life... I have visited different degrees of despair that would not end.... over decades... and God kept me... and cared for me... however... physical pain is a whole new ball game...
I have a friend who fell flat on her face over two years ago... she got a concussion... She has been plagued with migrane headaches on a daily basis since.... They have had her on all kinds of pain meds... but she is such a tiny little thing... and she can't handle any of it ... it all makes her sick...
My heart breaks for her.... she has NO quality of life... she must sit in the quiet and in the dark. That is where I am coming from... BLESSINGS to you.... absolutely no insult meant on my part... Your words have been most compassionate and honest here... Thank you.

Thank you my sister, yes this is a good conversation to have.

The pain I have dealt with in my life has been psychological and spiritual, not physical, and I certainly acknowledge those who deal with unrelenting physical pain with great compassion. For this reason (among many others), I would never judge someone for using weed to help because I do know it can have great alleviating affects that may have significant changes on quality of lives. I cannot, however, not warn people of the potential for great harm in certain areas of life regarding cannabis. Trust me, I speak from personal experience.

All blessings to you as well!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if I qualified this.... but I do not use marijuana of any kind personally... I have never desired to...
I have in the past been guilty of self medicating with alcohol. So I know what addiction and emotional pain is.

The only reason I know even a little bit about the science of weed is because my niece's husband works in a
government regulated pot shop... It's called Tokyo Smoke. If I did not learn the bit of information he has taught
me about the different strains... I would have thought a garage somewhere... growing plants... and selling dope...

It's truly not like this.... that is my only point... I am not advocating anything here except the RIGHT to have a quality
of life and reprieve of chronic pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Psalm51

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The pain I have dealt with in my life has been psychological and spiritual, not physical, and I certainly acknowledge those who deal with unrelenting physical pain with great compassion. For this reason (among many others), I would never judge someone for using weed to help because I do know it can have great alleviating affects that may have significant changes on quality of lives. I cannot, however, not warn people of the potential for great harm in certain areas of life regarding cannabis. Trust me, I speak from personal experience.
I absolutely and highly respect your words.... and I have a feeling that you and I would see eye to eye on the purpose of suffering...
I call sorrow and suffering sisters... they are teachers... just as are joy and peace... whom I also call sisters. I have learned to embrace them all.

Reactions: Helen

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I absolutely and highly respect your words.... and I have a feeling that you and I would see eye to eye on the purpose of suffering...
I call sorrow and suffering sisters... they are teachers... just as are joy and peace... whom I also call sisters. I have learned to embrace them all.

Beautiful, could not have said it any better!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul I don't use medical marijuana but I was on powerful pain meds for a couple years. There is a need for pain medications and they're still working on good solutions and near to some really good break thrus. Perhaps in the years to come they will have some better solutions.

I switched to alcohol once a week instead of the strong narcotics they had me on and that helped greatly. If I use marijuana I get super paranoid due to my schizophrenia so that isn't an option. I'm currently just trying to see if I can endure the pain without it. I think that would be better now that my pain tolerance has increased. But pain causes a psycho-logic effect that must be addressed, and that has been pain relief from time to time.

I took Tramadol for a while and took it for ingrown toenail surgeries. It works OK for pain and is easy to stop using compared to standard opioids. It is a good idea to talk to a doctor regarding pain medication options that are less addictive.

That said, I would never use marijuana, I don't believe in its pain relieving abilities and think it has hallucinogenic problems, and it might induce psychosis in some people.

(Is there a link between marijuana use and psychiatric disorders? | National Institute on Drug Abuse) "Recent research suggests that smoking high-potency marijuana every day could increase the chances of developing psychosis by nearly five times compared to people who have never used marijuana. The amount of drug used, the age at first use, and genetic vulnerability have all been shown to influence this relationship"

The bible does prescribe alcohol for some conditions although perhaps medicine has evolved since then and better solutions exist:

Proverbs 31:6-7

King James Version

6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
I am praying for you that God will heal whatever is causing your pain.
What you said about paranoia and it being a hallucinogenic drug has me concerned.

Reactions: dev553344