Not by Works, Legalism nor Bypassing Grace

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obedience to the Commandments of God is one of the most attacked concepts in modern Christianity.

Does that really make any sense?

Can anybody prove with Scripture how (not by posting verses that simply use the words works, legalism or grace) obeying the Commandments of God qualify as 'works salvation', 'legalism' or how it bypasses/circumvents God's grace when there is ample support for obedience all throughout the Bible?

I propose that there is no sound case to be made, using Scripture, to prove this oft-used allegation to be legitimate.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can’t, we are to obey what Christ said.

To love God and to love others. There are principles set throughout the Bible for an individual to learn.

With this being said there are things that were specific to the disciples themselves and may or may not pertain to us today.

However things such as forgiving others that is a tenant, to turn the other cheek, to settle matters quickly with someone taking you to court, some others I can’t think of are all tenants in following and listening to what Jesus had stated. I don’t believe we can follow the commandments perfectly due to our flesh failing from time to time however abiding in Christ he performs good works we were meant to do.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obedience to the Commandments of God is one of the most attacked concepts in modern Christianity.

Does that really make any sense?

Can anybody prove with Scripture how (not by posting verses that simply use the words works, legalism or grace) obeying the Commandments of God qualify as 'works salvation', 'legalism' or how it bypasses/circumvents God's grace when there is ample support for obedience all throughout the Bible?

I propose that there is no sound case to be made, using Scripture, to prove this oft-used allegation to be legitimate.

I guess Jesus said it best Gen:
(Matthew 7:24-27) . . .everyone who hears these sayings of mine and does them will be like a discreet man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain poured down and the floods came and the winds blew and lashed against that house, but it did not cave in, for it had been founded on the rock. 26 Furthermore, everyone hearing these sayings of mine and not doing them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain poured down and the floods came and the winds blew and struck against that house, and it caved in, and its collapse was great.”

Reactions: GEN2REV

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t believe we can follow the commandments perfectly due to our flesh failing from time to time
We can't. That's why we need the Holy Spirit who assists us in following them. All of them.
however abiding in Christ he performs good works we were meant to do.
Only with our agreement and submission, not at all without it. He does not possess us like a demon taking full control. Our cooperation and willingness is absolutely required.