On the pre-existence of Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Based on what you have learned or been taught, how would you respond to this question: Did the disciples recognize that Jesus had lived in heaven before being born as a human?

Later I'll post about what I've learned in my Bible study on that matter.

PS: Whichever you answer, please prove it with biblical passages if possible. Thank you.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally I believe they recognized him, as the Word of God that became flesh. They recognized him as the promised Messiah (even after resurrection), and only 12 chosen apostles that were with him until the death of Judas, which I believe Paul had replaced him, though many suggest the other guy replaced him when Peter had drew lots.

hope to see your insights.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Based on what you have learned or been taught, how would you respond to this question: Did the disciples recognize that Jesus had lived in heaven before being born as a human?

PS: Whichever you answer, please prove it with biblical passages if possible. Thank you.

Jesus did tell them that he was from heaven, and they knew who he was sir.
(John 6:41) . . .the Jews began to murmur about him because he had said: “I am the bread that came down from heaven.. . .
(John 6:51) 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven.. . .
(John 8:23) . . .He went on to say to them: “You are from the realms below; I am from the realms above. . .

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

No. The disciples believed that Jesus was supernaturally begotten by their God and his God / conceived in the womb of his mother as described in the birth narratives in Matthew 1 and Luke 1.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some believers don't think Jesus was a spirit person next to God before being born as a human being. Nevertheless the Scriptures record many sayings of Jesus himself that indicate that this is the case. Some of them are registered by the inspired John in his gospel:

John 1:1-3, 14,15, 18;
3:13, 31;
6:33, 38, 62;
8:23,24, 57-59;
17:1, 5.

How can we deduce with certainty out of these sayings of Jesus that he came from the spirit word?

In John 1:1-3 is not Jesus who talks, but John, surely from things he learned directly from his Lord. He's saying that before being a human, Jesus was another person with God himself in heaven.

John 1:1 Originally was the Word, And the Word was with God; And the Word was God. 2 The same was originally with God.
3 All things through him came into existence, And without him came into existence not even one thing: That which hath come into existence 4 in him was life (...). (The Emphasized Bible)

John says, like many other inspired writers in the NT, that Jesus was the mean by which the other things of the Universe were created. Obviously, if Jesus was next to God at the beginning of the Universe, even if this does not indicate anything about since when he was with God, it surely indicates he was already existing. That is what Jesus meant with his words in John 8:58.

If Jesus had not been a person separated from God and used as an instrument for the creation of the rest of the things that came into existence in the created Universe, the fact that someone was accompanying God at that initial moment would not even have been mentioned, but all mention would have been only about God himself without anyone with Him, since He is the original source of existence and life itself. Even Jesus consider God the reason of his existence:

John 6:57 (...) the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father (...) (ASV)

In addition, it is obvious that John is talking about Jesus, because in the context he continues with his exposition ... John says the Logos (Jesus) had been that spirit next to God until he became flesh and was rejected by the majority of the Jewish people (John, Chapter 1)... a people that, when he had been in heaven before, he had protected and fought for them in Jehovah's name.

Exo. 23:20 “I am sending my Angel before you to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared. 21 Beware of offending him; obey him. Do not be disobedient, because he will not pardon your offenses, because my name is in him. 22 For if you obey him and do everything that I say, I will be enemy to your enemies and will assail those who assail you, 23 because my Angel will go before you (...) " . (The Emphasized Bible)

Last edited:

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It seems to me that their faith at different times strong/weak, assured/doubtful, confident/afraid and so forth. Many Christians today undergo some of these same emotions and we have the Bible and history to consult. Anyway, based on a few accounts, I believe that they did and then doubted; but, after Jesus’ death, they were firm believers. Consider: John the Baptist understood and believed. (Matthew 3:11, 13, 16, 17) Peter, James and John heard God’s voice and witness Jesus’ transfiguration. (Matthew 17:5) The army officer in charge of Jesus’ execution recognized the Jesus was God’s son; therefore, any of the disciples that where there may have also heard the voice and the officer’s remarks. (Matthew 27:54) Philip and Andrew heard God’s voice and declaration at a festival. (John 12:28, 29) The disciple witnessed Jesus’ presence (pre-ascension and witnessed him ascending into heaven.-Luke 24:36-53.