"Please Report Heresy"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today seems to be my definition day. A heresy is when someone with earthly power uses that power to exercise control over someone else's right to freedom of religion. ie., the accused may believe something the power does not, or not believe something the power does. Since, in my experience at any rate, powers are not more accurate than the accused, I would like to see the charge of heresy abolished. Except, perhaps, from cases where the accused has neither evidence nor logic to justify themselves, and the power has both.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Heresy - is not being in agreement with a widely accepted standard...
And ofcourse, the one "calling out" another as a "heretic" ... is the one in agreement ... with a "particular" widely accepted standard.

Problem IS: Even widely accepted standards; regularly DO exceed, Gods Standards... and
WHY, such "standards" become, NOT agreeable.

Calling another a "heretic", is primarily, a tactic of Catholics.
Not to fret...For disagreeing or rejecting Catholic "Standards" that supersede, Gods Standards.

Heretick is used Once in Scripture...pertaining to men in agreement of the SAME STANDARD, but one not yielding to "correction".

Titus 3:
[10] A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I know you said your main point was that NT and OT have to be studied together to be understood properly and I couldn't agree more, but I'm still confused about the pre-1611 KJV statement. Do you mean the 1st OT/NT Bible from a printing press or the 1st English OT/NT Bible? Because Wycliffe's Translation (which was not at first printed but, indeed published) predates the King James by over over 2 centuries. Just nitpicking, I guess. I worked in a precise industrial profession before I retired which required excessive attention to detail. Pay no attention to my ramblings. lol :)
Lol...yes I googled when the kjv first came out cause I wasn't sure and it said 1611

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Vulgate is the one they had chained to monastery walls so the common people couldn't use them, I believe.

You may be correct. I have not gotten into that much. Mostly I know only what I have read on forums like this one.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul Such a huge textual base to support the Bible text...
Last night I was researching the gap of time between the book of Malachi and the book of Matthew.
It took me to an extensive history of who conquered who and who became king etc, etc...there were conflicting data from different sources...tje protestants determined that 400 years had passed before we see the book of Matthew....
It was also called the dark ages....during this time God remained silent and gave no word to any prophets.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Last night I was researching the gap of time between the book of Malachi and the book of Matthew.
It took me to an extensive history of who conquered who and who became king etc, etc...there were conflicting data from different sources...tje protestants determined that 400 years had passed before we see the book of Matthew....
It was also called the dark ages....during this time God remained silent and gave no word to any prophets.
@Heart2Soul I do love Malachi: :)

"Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name." (Malachi 3.16)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Heart2Soul Such a huge textual base to support the Bible text...
Actually, not necessarily. There are serious doubts held by scholars re the reliability of the Sanaiticus, and the Vaticanus which formed the basis for the Jesuits Douay and many of the modern versions. Dont know about the Alexandrinus one. The KJV was based on what is commonly called the 'received text' which comprised hundreds of manuscripts as opposed to just one or two.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, not necessarily. There are serious doubts held by scholars re the reliability of the Sanaiticus, and the Vaticanus which formed the basis for the Jesuits Douay and many of the modern versions. Dont know about the Alexandrinus one. The KJV was based on what is commonly called the 'received text' which comprised hundreds of manuscripts as opposed to just one or two.
Where did you learn about all this? It is very informative and I would like to research it as well.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where did you learn about all this? It is very informative and I would like to research it as well.
I was afraid someone would ask me that. It's information I've picked up here and there but can't remember the exact source. Give me a few hours, just going back to work, and I'll see what I can find. I have read a couple of excellent books on the subject, but that's not much help to you is it

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was afraid someone would ask me that. It's information I've picked up here and there but can't remember the exact source. Give me a few hours, just going back to work, and I'll see what I can find. I have read a couple of excellent books on the subject, but that's not much help to you is it
Take your time and if it is too much trouble don't bother.
Thank you, God Bless

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 16708
I was simply pointing out what that site considered serious issues that need to be reported. Like "Deity" of Jesus. This forum is flooded with those who deny that Jesus is God. They are considered to be heretics in that forum, but not here. It doesn't even seem to be a serious issue here.

Does anyone know if there is a statement of Faith on ChristianityBoard. I couldn't find it.
Every site runs things differently. I'm on 3. Where one might let all groups post in forums some have restrictions on where heterodox, cults or atheists can post and some use those same groups as opportunities for evangelism and to see how ones faith holds up under scrutiny. So whatever forums one posts on they need to know the rules they agreed to when they became a member.