Poll: Tattoo artist: if a Christian daughter/son of yours worked as one, would you be supportive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo artist: if a daughter/son of yours worked as a tattoo artist, would you be supportive?

• I would only really know what I think if I found myself in the situation described

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette FYI.........did you see/ vote in the recent poll, above?

Just voted. I voted don't know.

It would depend on the art they are willing to put on peoples bodies. I could not support demons and devils and upside down crrosses and alot of other worldly things that life evil and downgrade good.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Just voted. I voted don't know.

It would depend on the art they are willing to put on peoples bodies. I could not support demons and devils and upside down crrosses and alot of other worldly things that life evil and downgrade good.
@Ronald Nolette Thanks for your searching comment and poll vote participation.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them for witness tool purposes. I guess if they were asked what they thought of the tattoo artist profession they would likely view it positively, anyhow...........

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It can be!! I have seen some people that absolutely look like freaks. I guess that is what they are going for?
@Mantis I'm sure this is true about being addictive in some cases; I was interested to see FHII's post:

FHII said:
I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it.. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor .. I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it, but it has no bearing on my salvation. ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ. .. We got a lot of folks inked in our Church. Myself, the Pastor, his daughter and grand daughter included. Now, even my wife

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Ronald Nolette Thanks for the 'like' just now.

As with the young ppl that I mentioned having talked with, on the specific aspect of whether certain ppl might regard the tattoo artist profession in a generally positive light or not, my guess would be that at a congregation as described by FHII in his post, the congregants there would likely tend to regard the profession in a basically positive way:

FHII said:
Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor ..
I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it, but it has no bearing on my salvation. ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ. .. We got a lot of folks inked in our Church. Myself, the Pastor, his daughter and grand daughter included. Now, even my wife

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I believe all those over 18 as well. If they want the liberty to make their own decisions in many areas- they should establish their own home. But when we choose to live under someone elses roof- we agree to submit to their authority. If the authority is unreasonable, we can make an appeal, but if they say no- we either submit or leave.

@Ronald Nolette

Actually Rita has spoken about her sense of initial dilemma when her own sons reached 18 and wanted tattoos. She points out that her feelings then were not really related to her Christian convictions.

it was also something I had to deal with as my sons reached 18 and got tattoos. ..With my son's it had nothing to do with my feelings as a Christian, it was more a reality check that they were making decisions that I had little control over.With me it was more an inspiration .. I felt good about it. ..I was 50 when I had mine done, and two of my sons had various tattoos long before me.. ..I made the decision with a mature head on my shoulders.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My son, stepson and stepdaughter all have tattoos.
@RLT63 There might be a generational aspect also; I saw this quote from the Bible Belt:

Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

You see what I mean about it possibly being generational?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It can be!! I have seen some people that absolutely look like freaks. I guess that is what they are going for?
@Mantis Tattoos can make ppl look like freaks, it's true, but not necessarily so.

I saw this quote:

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working
allnurses dot com

I don't think this person was setting out to look like a freak; in fact, she regards herself as traditional and well mannered. For her, the tattooing would likely have been more a personality expression of womanly confidence within an overall sense of traditional outlook and professional respect.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BeyondET Thanks for your poll vote participation; so in Portsmouth there, are there quite a few tattoo places? traditionally if there is a port, there will also be tattoo parlors....
Yes there is alot of tattoo parlors here, I also live by the world's largest navel base including the major port here.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes there is alot of tattoo parlors here, I also live by the world's largest navel base including the major port here.
@BeyondET Yes, tattoos were traditionally in the 20th century been the domain of male military personnel, and they still are, of course.

They have also spread greatly among military spouses:

GillDouglas said:
My wife has talked about this possibility, but she has said she'd have a hard time deciding what to put permanently on her body. She has been urged by other military spouses to get one.
christianforums dot com

In fact now they no longer have an inherently male image, as UnrulyBeauty points out in her posting:

The last one I got was many, many years ago. I would love to get a few more before I'm old and wrinkly...Tattoos have been "non-taboo" for a good 20 years or so. I think a lot of older people (and I'm not young to begin with lol) still think that tattoos are this grungy, rough, male trend. But that hasn't been the case for many, many years.

Reactions: BeyondET

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...alot of tattoo parlors here...
@BeyondET PS:

Actually, it seems to have gone full circle - after a while in the 20 century when sailors (and bikers) seemed almost to monopolize tattoos - because in the 19th century it was apparently regarded as a highly classy, rather lady-like thing to do; I saw this quote, FYI:

"Surprisingly, one of the major resurgences of interest in tattoos in Europe occurred among 19th century high society Victorian women (as well as men), after British explorers .. brought back the practice to Britain. .. grew during the 19th century, and even Winston Churchill’s mother had a tattoo .. on her wrist. Queen Victoria was also believed to have had a tattoo of a Bengal tiger.. . From Victorian Europe...to America. In 1897, (art critic, Margot) Miffin says that an estimated 75% of American society women were tattooed.."

(Black Fire: Women, Tattoos, and the Transformative Power of Body Art )

Seems also like today a lot of Christian women like to receive Bible verses tattoos, and those Christian women who would also like to do so but maybe still hesitate to have it done can at least from this perspective rest assured that there is strong, historically established precedent for it to be regarded as a rather lady-like thing to do. (The decades when male sailors in port cities such as yours seemed to dominate the practice appears to have obscured this historical precedent.)

Reactions: BeyondET

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My answer to this is exactly what it would be if someone asked if i would be supportive if i had a homosexual child: an emphatic "no". It wouldn't matter to me if they were talented or even if they used "Christian-themed" art. The Bible says "no!" to all tattoos, and Jesus said that following Him means a person would have to risk being at odds with relatives, even if they professed Christianity.

Following God's will has to come before anything and everybody in this life, including my child and whatever they may want for themselves. Regardless of the cost that the stance my have on my relationship with the child, i will not make the same mistake Eli made when he prioritized his children over God.

If they didn't want to see or hear from me any more, that's just how it will have to be. A person has to realize that Satan will use any conceivable means to separate someone from God or convince them to make compromises, and he is far from being too proud to use someone's child to accomplish that task.