Psalm 119:96

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think this means?
“Even perfection has its limits, but your commands have no limit.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:96‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sometimes comparing versions helps in understanding maam, as well as context by surrounding verses.
96 I have seen a limit to all perfection, But your commandment has no limit.
The psalmist is speaking about perfection from a human viewpoint. He likely had in mind that man’s concept of perfection is limited. In contrast, God’s commandment has no such limit. Its guidance applies to all aspects of life. “To all perfection I see a limit,” reads the New International Version, “but your commands are boundless.”

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

A better rendering would be..."There is perfection to the limit that I (am able to) see, so greatly broad (are) your commandments." (my translation)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I focused for so many years on being perfect in my trust, learning and having the obedience of trust. At even the tiniest sliver of worry over any temporal matter, (or spiritual matter too) I wrestled and struggled to be firm and stand firm in what He promised, even when it looked pretty bleak. I saw trust as the only thing to focus on, since it’s a race of trust and since trust was how I knew any good had, or would, come to me.
I went that way for so long and then one day I realized it was not enough and that I needed Gods love, so I told Him I saw trust was not enough and that I still lacked love and could only love as the world loved and would remain without it unless He gave me it.

I saw the verse from psalms as that. There is a limit to perfect trust, because three things remain, trust, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love. Hope is obviously included in learning the firm obedience of trust. But Gods love is boundless, without limit.

But I wondered how others saw the verse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“no limit” makes me think of “to know the love of Christ, which passes knowledge” and “Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,..” Ephesians 3:17-21

if you read further in psalm 119 there is
Psalm 119:98-99 Thou through thy commandments has made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
^was this fulfilled in Christ, coming to pass as He set in the midst teaching and they wondered and were confused at the things which He said? For example John 18:19-23 because James 3:15-18. The point to me is the whole psalm speaks of Christ, so also…”no limits” “the love of Christ, surpasses all understanding” but it also could mean “not bound” as in 2 Timothy 2:9​

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 119 as a whole is an acrostic poem in praise of Torah. Verse 96 in the לְ section says God’s Word transcends even perfection (as perfection is seen and understood by men).

Then it would be fair to ask what transcending perfection means. That is unknowable.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 119 as a whole is an acrostic poem in praise of Torah. Verse 96 in the לְ section says God’s Word transcends even perfection (as perfection is seen and understood by men).

Then it would be fair to ask what transcending perfection means. That is unknowable.

transcending perfection? “That is unknowable” maybe so but the closest I can think of a definition of “transcending perfection” is “to know the love of Christ, which surpasses all understanding”

“transcending perfection”
How close is it related to “transfiguration”? Is it close at all?

transfiguration.

Moses

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I have seen an end of all perfection: but thy commandment is exceeding broad." Psalms 119:96 KJV

You have shown me Your perfection, which is coming: but it takes so long.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I have seen an end of all perfection: but thy commandment is exceeding broad." Psalms 119:96 KJV

You have shown me Your perfection, which is coming: but it takes so long.

Your quote makes me think of slow or slack …and His not being slack or slow concerning His promise as some men count slackness “but it takes so long”? What does it means!? Or that God is long-suffering?
2 Peter 3:9 Lexicon: The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your quote makes me think of slow or slack …and His not being slack or slow concerning His promise as some men count slackness “but it takes so long”? What does it means!? Or that God is long-suffering?
2 Peter 3:9 Lexicon: The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Yes, long suffering.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The psalmist is speaking about perfection from a human viewpoint. He likely had in mind that man’s concept of perfection is limited. In contrast, God’s commandment has no such limit. Its guidance applies to all aspects of life.

Reactions: amadeus

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In KJV with Strong's....

Psalm 119:96
[96]I have seen an end of all perfection: but thy commandment is exceeding broad.

The word translated "end" is this....
Hebrew: קץ
Transliteration: qêts
Pronunciation: kates
Definition: Contracted from H7112; an extremity; adverbially (with prepositional prefix) after: - + {after} (utmost) {border} {end} [in-] {finite} X process.
KJV Usage: end (52x), after (10x), border (3x), infinite (1x), process (1x).
Occurs: 67
In verses: 62

So it can refer to a border, or the extent which we can see. So he is comparing the borders of perfection with the broadness of God's commandment.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s sort of like another verse that says, I see the fringes of your robe. I think it’s Job. That we only see the fringes of His ways.
Here, I found it: Job 26:14 Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways,
And how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand?”

And it’s like…even touching the fringe of His garment heals a woman.

Just a mere touch of Him and His power and glory and beauty. Who could want anything more than to be granted to even just touch the fringes of Him? What burning love this is!

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ and Lambano