Regeneration before or after saving faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not understand any of these verses either?
You do not begin to grasp Ezk 34, nor any of these verses?
Rennicks are you a professed Christian or something else?
What church do you belong to?
I have been a Christian for over 30 years. I grasp the verses fine, I just don't see calvinism there, along with most of Christiandom. The majority of Christians down through the ages did not subscribe to your theology.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been a Christian for over 30 years. I grasp the verses fine, I just don't see calvinism there, along with most of Christiandom. The majority of Christians down through the ages did not subscribe to your theology.
I don't know about "most" of Christiandom (it seems most is in grave, fatal error leading others down the wide path to destruction with it)...
Nor do I know about the "majority" any time (it seems the majority has never been right, as written in Scripture it is not)...

But why would anyone see "calvinism" , or even desire to look for it , anywhere, as if on purpose ? It seems so misleading, why would anyone choose to look for it ?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know about "most" of Christiandom (it seems most is in grave, fatal error leading others down the wide path to destruction with it)...
Nor do I know about the "majority" any time (it seems the majority has never been right, as written in Scripture it is not)...

But why would anyone see "calvinism" , or even desire to look for it , anywhere, as if on purpose ? It seems so misleading, why would anyone choose to look for it ?
Calvinism is a term that is associated with a biblical view of the work of the God of the bible in Redemptive History.
Biblical Christianity has always seen it in scripture as that is its origin.
Its teaching is easily seen, and it is easily resisted by unsaved persons, works based cults, and those who oppose themselves.2 tim2 :24-36.

Take our friend Rennicks. Seventeen times in Ezk 34 God Himself describes though Exkiel what He Himself will do.
His sheep are scattered because of the false teaching priests of that day.
God tells Ezekiel that He Himself is going to come and seek and save His sheep, in the exact language used of Jesus, the Good Shepherd.
They are His sheep, by Covenant appointment before the world was 2 tim1:9
No where does it describe goats becoming sheep as Rennicks suggested earlier....no...Jesus told those in Jn10:26....you believe not....BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT MY SHEEP.
He quickly follows with MY SHEEP HEAR MY VOICE,I KNOW THEM AND THEY FOLLOW ME.
Someone who is a false teacher or in a cult seeks to add their own false ideas as has happened in this thread.
Read Ezk.34....note everytime God says He initiates and forms something on behalf of His sheep, seek save, feed, lead , set up a king over them,etc.
At no time do we read what was foolishly suggested that reprobates become sheep, or the Shepherd does not have any sheep but passively waits to steal random sheep.
Psalm 110 is quoted or alluded to 6 times after the cross speaking in a redemptive context.
Verse 3 is quite clear that God makes His people willing in the day of His power.
No self help manual, or man centered do it yourself salvation as offered by false teachers. P4T and SG, have stated this over and over.
Rennicks and his cronies can hold all the error they want to, it is a free country, but none of us would recommend it.
Posting profane cartoons of a hippie and suggesting this is God is the work of unregenerate thinking.
Not sure if we are dealing with professed believers, or cultists.
This level of sin is what I find in public from those two groups.
The foul posting suggesting Calvinists do not believe in the biblical God would suggest that the millions of confessional Christian's worldwide are not saved, the reformers, puritans. Spurgeon, all the men on sermonaudio are worshipping a false God???
Good luck with that.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calvinism is a term that is associated with a biblical view of the work of the God of the bible in Redemptive History.
Biblical Christianity has always seen it in scripture as that is its origin.
This just isn't so. Calvinism didn't even rear it's head in the church at all until the forth century.
Two prominent church historians, Philip Schaff and J.N.D Kelly,
write respectively:

‘The Greek, and particularly the Alexandrian fathers, in opposition to the dualism and fatalism of the
Gnostic systems, which made evil a necessity of nature, laid great stress upon human freedom, and upon
the indispensable cooperation of this freedom with divine grace; while the Latin fathers, especially
Tertullian and Cyprian, Hilary and Ambrose, guided rather by their practical experience than by speculative
principles, emphasized the hereditary sin and hereditary guilt of man, and the sovereignty of God’s grace,
without, however, denying freedom and individual accountability. The Greek church adhered to her
undeveloped synergism, which coordinates the human will and divine grace as factors in the work of
conversion; the Latin church, under the influence of Augustine, advanced to the system of a divine
monergism, which gives God all the glory, and makes freedom itself a result of grace; while Pelagianism,
on the contrary, represented the principle of a human monergism, which ascribes the chief merit of
conversion to man, and reduces grace to a mere external auxiliary. After Augustine’s death, however the
intermediate system of Semi-Pelagianism, akin to the Greek synergism, became prevalent in the West.’1
‘A point on which they (the Eastern Fathers) were all agreed was that man’s will remains free; we are
responsible for our acts. This was a vital article in their anti-Manichaean propaganda, but it raised the
question of man’s need of divine grace. This issue is usually posed in the terms which the later Augustinian
discussion is made familiar, and so viewed their position was that grace and free will co-operate. Our
salvation comes, stated Gregory Nazianzen, both from ourselves and from God. If God’s help is necessary
for doing good and if the good will itself comes from Him, it is equally true that the initiative rests with
with man’s free will… Although we have only cited these two (Ambrose and Ambrosiaster), there is little
doubt that their views were representative (of the Western Fathers). On the related question of grace, the
parallel truths of man’s free will and his need of God’s help were maintained, although we can discern
increasing emphasis being laid on the latter. ‘We must be and directed’, wrote Hilary, ‘by His grace’; but
he makes it plain the initial move in God’s direction lies at our own disposition. God’s mercy, he points out
elsewhere, does not exclude man’s desert, and a man’s own will must take the lead in lifting him from sin.
‘It is for God to call’, remarks Jerome, ‘and for us to believe’.
The part of grace, it would seem, is to perfect
that which the will has freely determined; yet our will is only ours by God’s mercy.’2
As one can easily see, Calvin’s conclusion about the literary evidence is incorrect.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Avoiding scripture by accounts of church history including the falsehoods does nothing to avoid the foundational teaching eph2:20.
You avoid Ezk34 like the Corona. Virus.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"-isms" are like viruses. Insidious, unhealthy, sinful, leading many astray, preventing as many as possible from finding Heaven.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Avoiding scripture by accounts of church history including the falsehoods does nothing to avoid the foundational teaching eph2:20.
You avoid Ezk34 like the Corona. Virus.
On the contrary is Ezekiel 34 is an excellent read, full a beautiful promises for God's people.
In it God, says he will judge between Rams and goats.
And in Matthew 25, Jesus fleshes this out a little.
“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

How does one become righteous?
Whoever pursues righteousness and love
finds life, prosperity and honor.
Proverbs 21:21

Matthew 6:33
But seek first the kingdom and his righteousness... And all these things will be given to you as well.

So what is the main difference between sheep and goats? We've had both for many years. Goats are very self-willed, very hard to keep in a fence if they want to get out. That's not to say there aren't ornery sheep, especially Rams.
The main thing though—the central difference between sheep and goats—is really simple. A sheep is led by its shepherd. A goatherd is led by his goat.
Now, what, else did Jesus say about sheep? He said they must enter through him, for he's the gate, in John 6, and that they hear his voice and follow him.
Want to become a sheep? Start following.

I know, the Calvinist wants to read determinism into everything. If it was already determined, there would be no need to ask us to follow, because we could not do otherwise.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the contrary is Ezekiel 34 is an excellent read, full a beautiful promises for God's people.
In it God, says he will judge between Rams and goats.
And in Matthew 25, Jesus fleshes this out a little.
“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

How does one become righteous?
Whoever pursues righteousness and love
finds life, prosperity and honor.
Proverbs 21:21

Matthew 6:33
But seek first the kingdom and his righteousness... And all these things will be given to you as well.

So what is the main difference between sheep and goats? We've had both for many years. Goats are very self-willed, very hard to keep in a fence if they want to get out. That's not to say there aren't ornery sheep, especially Rams.
The main thing though—the central difference between sheep and goats—is really simple. A sheep is led by its shepherd. A goatherd is led by his goat.
Now,
what, else did Jesus say about sheep? He said they must enter through him, for he's the gate, in John 6, and that they hear his voice and follow him.
Want to become a sheep? Start following.

I know, the Calvinist wants to read determinism into everything. If it was already determined, there would be no need to ask us to follow, because we could not do otherwise.
Again avoiding Ezk34.....you mention it without really looking at it.
I understand.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing is going to stop Jesus from seeking and saving His sheep.
His Way is the Only Way.

Pushing another way, via another voice ..... we sheep listen only to Jesus' Voice, we recognize and know Jesus' Voice, and follow Him - as Jesus says simply, we will not follow another voice - instead run from it.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nothing is going to stop Jesus from seeking and saving His sheep.
It is true that God and Christ know in advance exactly who the sheep are (the ones who will believe and become children of God).

At the same time -- and this is critical -- we must be clear that if all would repent and obey the Gospel, all would become the sheep of the divine Shepherd. This is where Calvinism goes into false doctrine, claiming that all are not invited to become the sheep of Christ. That God literally consigns some to Hell in advance.

Reactions: Renniks

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it not amazing also that man has survived this long in spite of continuously denying God?

? huh ....

If God's Mercy, Patience, Perfect Judgment, and Long-suffering was less, so that mankind perished 'sooner' instead of "survived this long",

would that be amazing /more amazing or less amazing ? /

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
? huh ....

If God's Mercy, Patience, Perfect Judgment, and Long-suffering was less, so that mankind perished 'sooner' instead of "survived this long",

would that be amazing /more amazing or less amazing ? /

"For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?
But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house." Matt 9:5-6

Reactions: friend of