Romans 11 and the real Replacement Theology

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IMO this underlined part is where you've made an error:

They were not broken off in order to make room for anyone.

In Romans 11 Paul said that Gentiles might say that they were broken off to make room,

but they were broken off solely because of their unbelief. The fact that they were broken off meant that God would have mercy on the Gentiles ALSO

- because He has mercy on those natural descendants of Israel/Judah who do not continue in their unbelief,

- and He has mercy on them partly because He has mercy on Gentiles who believe

- but also for the sake of His covenant with Abraham, and His love for the fathers (Abraham, Isaac and Jacob)

- so He has mercy on Gentiles as well as on those natural descendants of Israel/Judah who do not continue in their unbelief.

There has always only been one Israel - the seed of Abraham - and its root is God's promises to Abraham, and Abraham's faith in God and in His Word (His promises to Abraham).

Gentiles are grafted into the same Israel that the Jewish remnant remained citizens of in the first century, and the same Israel has always had a remnant of Jewish believers.

Regarding the tabernacle where God is worshiped, the difference is that since the time of Christ the temple = Jews and Gentiles in Christ who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit (the living stones of the temple),

a.k.a "The Church".

Israel = the seed of Abraham and it is not a "country" without citizens.

The citizens of Israel = the seed of Abraham = Jews and Gentiles in Christ = the church = Israel.
It's NOT "Replacement" Theology. Dispensationalism's teaching about the Jews and Israel is a lie.

Jacob on his deathbed told Joseph that his seed would become the fullness of the Gentiles. That's where my name in these forums comes from. In English the fullness of the Gentiles in Genesis 48:19 is translated "a multitude of nations". Same thing.

Paul included the Gentiles where he spoke of Hosea 1:9-10 as though it had been fulfilled in Christ (Romans 9:25-26). Paul stated that Gentiles who believe in Jesus are grafted into ISRAEL - the seed of Abraham among the remnant of his natural seed who believe (Romans 11:17).​
I'll admit my grammar needs correcting - "to make" room should have been "that made" room. I keep personal computer logs (like a diary) and I find I make bad mistakes all the time I must correct.That was not always my strong point. As for the fullness of the nations, that is an allusion to Genesis 48:19. Ephraim was to become a multitude of nations in which people (but not all) became Christian and spread the gospel message and became a light to the nations, which was the purpose of Israel. In other words, God used Israel in spite of themselves. It is true only those in Christ are given access to the Kingdom, but that's contingent on when each person is called. If they refuse, they are refuse. But as a people they are still God's chosen by which they brought Christ into the world. But it's not all done yet, i.e. all that was promised, so like the first time, they are used for God's purpose this next time. I don't fundamentally disagree with you. I believe I'm saying essentially the same thing. However, I do look forward to an earthly Kingdom in which the promises to Israel were earthly promises that would eventually be fulfilled. Then those of Israel who were blinded can see their Messiah, the one whom they have pierced. It's just that it's all later, not now.

Reactions: David in NJ

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Really....
NASB Eph 1:11 also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will,

Net Eph 1:11 In Christ28 we too have been claimed as God's own possession,29(G280) since we were predestined (G4309) according to the one purpose of him who accomplishes all things according to the counsel of his will

29 tn Grk "we were appointed by lot." The notion of the verb κληρόω (klēroō) in the OT was to "appoint a portion by lot" (the more frequent cognate verb κληρονομέω [klēronomeō] meant "obtain a portion by lot"). In the passive, as here, the idea is that "we were appointed [as a portion] by lot" (BDAG 548 s.v. κληρόω 1). The words "God's own" have been supplied in the translation to clarify this sense of the verb. An alternative interpretation is that believers receive a portion as an inheritance: "In Christ we too have been appointed a portion of the inheritance." See H. W. Hoehner, Ephesians, 226-27, for discussion on this interpretive issue.

Word study
G2820

κληρόω
klēróō; contracted klērṓ, fut. klērṓsō, from klḗros (G2819), a lot. To cast lots, determine by lot, i.e., to determine something, choose someone. In Eph_1:11, it means, "in whom the lot has fallen upon us also, as foreordained thereto . . . to be" (a.t.). The idea expressed here is that Christians have become heirs of God due to the fact that God predestined them according to His purpose. In a manner of speaking, the "lot" fell to believers not by chance but solely because of the gracious and sovereign decision of God- Almighty to select them to be His heirs.
Deriv.: prosklēróō (G4345), to give or assign by lot.

Word study
G4309

προορίζω
proorízō; fut. proorísō, from pró (G4253), before, and horízō (G3724), to determine. To determine or decree beforehand (Act_4:28; Rom_8:29-30; 1Co_2:7; Eph_1:5, Eph_1:11). The peace of the Christian Church has been disrupted due to the misunderstanding which surrounds this word. It behooves the Church to consider the divinely intended meaning of this word by carefully examining the critical passages where it is used.

In 1Co_2:7 it has a thing as its obj., namely, the wisdom of God. The purpose was our glory, i.e., our benefits of salvation.

In Act_4:28 the verb is followed by the aor. inf. genésthai (gínomai [G1096], to be, become), to be done. The action of Herod and Pontius Pilate in crucifying Jesus Christ is said to have been predetermined or foreordained by the hand and will of God. This indicates that Christ's mission, especially His death and resurrection, was not ultimately the result of human will but originated in the eternal counsel of God which decreed the event determining all its primary and secondary causes, instruments, agents, and contingencies.

In Rom_8:29-30, predestination is used of God's actions in eternally decreeing both the objects and goal of His plan of salvation. Proorízō has a personal obj., the pl. relative pron. hoús, whom. This relative pron. refers to those previously mentioned as those whom God foreknew (proégnō [G4267]). The translation is, "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate." The objects of predestination are those whom He foreknew. Predestination does not involve a predetermined plan only but also includes the individuals for whom the plan is devised. The goal of predestination is expressed in the phrase, "to be conformed to the image of his Son."

In Eph_1:5, Eph_1:11 this same purpose of foreordination is termed adoption. Adoption (huiothesía [G5206]) is the placing into sonship or legal heirship of those who are born of God. According to Eph_1:5 the basis of this prior decree is "the good pleasure of His will." The word rendered "good pleasure" is eudokía (G2107) and means pleasure or satisfaction, that which seems good. Paul is careful to add that it is the good pleasure of God's will, it is what seems good to God-not man. Similarly, in Eph_1:11 foreordination is based upon "the purpose (próthesis [G4286]) of the One who is working all things ([neut. acc. pl.] tá pánta [G3844], an idiom for the entire metaphysical and physical universe) according to the decision of His will" (a.t.). This same thinking is reflected in Rom_8:30 where foreordination is joined successively to foreknowledge. Here it is presented not as a capricious, arbitrary or whimsical exercise of raw will or unreasoned impulse, but as the expression of a deliberate and wise plan which purposes to redeem those undeserving sinners whom God freely favors as the objects of His mercy.
Because it is neither possible nor permissible for us to pry into God's secret counsel, it is not proper to be fixated with determining who the predestined are. Instead, we should contemplate the glories of what they are predestined to, i.e., salvation, adoption, or glory.
Syn.: protássō (G4384), to appoint before; procheirízō (G4400), to appoint beforehand; proetoimázō (G4282), to prepare before.

Thus you get....
Joh 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him,66 and I will raise him up at the last day.
Net Bible
Joh 6:44
-
66 tn Or "attracts him," or "pulls him." The word is used of pulling or dragging, often by force. It is even used once of magnetic attraction (A. Oepke, TDNT 2:503).
sn The Father who sent me draws him. The author never specifically explains what this "drawing" consists of. It is evidently some kind of attraction; whether it is binding and irresistible or not is not mentioned. But there does seem to be a parallel with Joh_6:65, where Jesus says that no one is able to come to him unless the Father has allowed it. This apparently parallels the use of Isaiah by John to reflect the spiritual blindness of the Jewish leaders (see the quotations from Isaiah in Joh_9:41 and Joh_12:39-40).

Now you see the truth ...
ESV Rom 9:15 For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.

Acts shows you...
NASB Act 13:48 When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed [G5021](by Lot) to eternal life believed.
CEV Act 13:48 This message made the Gentiles glad, and they praised what they had heard about the Lord. Everyone who had been chosen for eternal life then put their faith in the Lord.

G5021
τάσσω
tassō
tas'-so
A prolonged form of a primary verb (which latter appears only in certain tenses); to arrange in an orderly manner, that is, assign or dispose (to a certain position or lot):

Sad lot... for these people...
Mat 7:22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

I don't know about you.... But I never cast out a demon or performed a single miracle... Guess I'm hoping for a LOT.... !!!!
If you have Scripture which contradicts Romans 9:6-8 et al, feel free to post it.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I don't fundamentally disagree with you. I believe I'm saying essentially the same thing. However, I do look forward to an earthly Kingdom in which the promises to Israel were earthly promises that would eventually be fulfilled. Then those of Israel who were blinded can see their Messiah, the one whom they have pierced. It's just that it's all later, not now.
I hope for the above. And yes, it's difficult to push and shove all Old Testament prophecy regarding the reuniting of Ephraim and Judah in the land of their fathers, into the new heavens and new earth. Although I realize we all see through a stained glass mirror when it comes to Bible prophecy. Two Christians, three opinions.

And IMO the New Testament does not tell us that Satan was bound at the time of the cross, and Revelation does not tell us that the thousand years begins before the beast rises from the abyss - because no one can be martyred for refusal to receive the image of the beast and reign with Christ for a thousand years, from a thousand years before they were martyred - symbolic years or not.​

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'll admit my grammar needs correcting - "to make" room should have been "that made" room. I keep personal computer logs (like a diary) and I find I make bad mistakes all the time I must correct.That was not always my strong point. As for the fullness of the nations, that is an allusion to Genesis 48:19. Ephraim was to become a multitude of nations in which people (but not all) became Christian and spread the gospel message and became a light to the nations, which was the purpose of Israel. In other words, God used Israel in spite of themselves. It is true only those in Christ are given access to the Kingdom, but that's contingent on when each person is called. If they refuse, they are refuse. But as a people they are still God's chosen by which they brought Christ into the world. But it's not all done yet, i.e. all that was promised, so like the first time, they are used for God's purpose this next time. I don't fundamentally disagree with you. I believe I'm saying essentially the same thing. However, I do look forward to an earthly Kingdom in which the promises to Israel were earthly promises that would eventually be fulfilled. Then those of Israel who were blinded can see their Messiah, the one whom they have pierced. It's just that it's all later, not now.
Just an extra thing to share, with regard to Ephraim/the Northern kingdom/10 tribes:

Bear in mind that when Hosea 1:9-10 was fulfilled, the vast majority of the 10 tribes was first exiled, resettled in other parts of the Assyrian Empire, and since then their descendants have become scattered among the nations - where they have been intermarrying with Gentiles to this day. That's why they can't be traced so as to be positively identified.

God's first promise to Abraham - repeated by God three times - was that Abraham would become the father of a multitude of goyim.

God also promised Abraham that in his seed all the nations of the earth will be blessed (Christ) - who came through one of Judah's descendants. Judah was guarded by God for a reason. "Salvation is of the Jews" (Jesus).

If Paul was applying a prophecy regarding Ephraim (Hosea 1:9-10) to Gentiles who believe in Jesus (Romans 9:24-26), it means we are "the house of Israel". Jews are the house of Judah.

Genetic/ethnic ancestry does not translate into Abraham becoming the father of a multitude of goyim.

Only Christ's genetic/ethnic ancestry through His mother mattered - and only because of God's promise to king David, and before him, to Abraham, that in his seed all the nations (goyim) of the earth would be blessed.

Jesus is the Son of God - not the son of any man. The Son of man is a title which expresses the fact that He represents man to God, and God to man. The genetic/ethnic ancestry of all the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve really doesn't matter to God, IMO.​

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1, 2, 5 & 6 are correct. But you fail to see the distinction between Jews and Gentiles ON EARTH in Romans 11. Paul even identifies himself as an Israelite. "IN CHRIST" there is no distinction but Israel is a chosen nation, separate from the Gentiles and still is recognized as such. It's there ... look on the map ... read the news. Hello, Islamic nations are gathering together to war against Israel. So a remnant (1/3) of these Jews will be saved as will a 1/3 population of the planet saved. It is interesting that the numbers are about that now 2.65 billion Christians of some 8 billion.

A remnant was saved then and that generation died. And in every generation from that time on, Jews and Gentiles were saved

You are calling the Church Israel. It is not! The Church is the Body of Christ. Israel is a nation occupied by many Israelites that are of both bloodline and seed of Abraham. As scripture states, many are not true Israel.

You are confused.

You are calling Christ, Israel. Christ is the VINE that some Israelites were cut off from so that the Gentiles could be crafted in. Jews will soon be crafted into the VINE. As scripture states, all Israel will be saved. We see on Rev. 7, 144k from 12 tribes that obviously God has sustained throughout the generations unbeknownst to us
. They were scattered throughout the world and after 18 centuries, God brought them back. In 1948, the nation of ISRAEL WAS REBORN.

___<<<&&__/<<<____

For those who use Gal. 6:16 to support argument, think again.

Gal. 6:12 As many as desire to make a good showing in the flesh, these would compel you to be circumcised, only that they may not suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. 13 For not even those who are circumcised keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may boast in your flesh. 14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a new creation.

>>>16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them,
AND upon the Israel of God.

Peace and mercy on Israelites who believe too. Those who are on Christ aren't Israelites.

GOD IS NOT THROUGH WITH ISRAEL!!!

____<<<>__<<<<<<_^^

Commentaries ...

Dr. John MacArthur
comments that…

The Israel of God refers to Jewish believers in Jesus Christ, to those who are spiritual as well as physical descendants of Abraham (Galatians 3:7) and are heirs of promise rather than of law (Ga 3:18). They are the real Jews, the true Israel of faith, like those referred to in Romans 2:28 (note), Ro 2:29 (note) and Ro 9:6,7 (note). (MacArthur, J. Galatians. Chicago: Moody Press - page 210)

Dr. Charles Ryrie writes that "Israel of God" represents…

Christian Jews, those who are both the physical and spiritual seed of Abraham. The church is not equated with the new Israel of God; rather two groups are mentioned here--all believing Galatians and especially believing Jews in that group." (The Ryrie Study Bible) (Bolding added)

Dr. Henry Morris adds that…

The Israel of God is not a synonym for the church, but refers rather to those Jewish Christians in the church who were truly resting in the grace and liberty of Christ, justified by faith in His finished work of redemption--not in circumcision or any other works of the law. Paul was contrasting them with the Judaizers, the professing Jewish Christians who were troubling the Gentile Christians with their insistence on circumcision and Jewish ritualism in general, even while they themselves could not "keep the law" (Galatians 6:13) and indeed may well have been manifesting "the works of the flesh" rather than "the fruit of the Spirit" (Galatians 5:19, 20, 21, 22, 23-see notes). (Defenders Study Bible
A BIG Amen!

Israel is home to stay!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Albert Barnes
And upon the Israel of God - The true church of God; all who are his true worshippers

John Calvin
In a word, he gives the appellation of the Israel of God to those whom he formerly denominated the children of Abraham by faith, (Galatians 3:29,) and thus includes all believers, whether Jews or Gentiles, who were united into one church.

John Chrysostom
Tell me not then, he says, of circumcision, which now availeth nothing; (for how shall it appear, when all things have undergone such a change?) but seek the new things of grace. For they who pursue these things shall enjoy peace and amity, and may properly be called by the name of "Israel."

Adam Clarke
The Israel of God - The true Christians, called here the Israel of God, to distinguish them from Israel according to the flesh.

John Gill
upon the Israel of God; which is a further description of the persons, for whom he prays for these blessings; and is not to be understood by way of distinction from them, but as an amplification of their character; and as pointing out the Israel, by way of emphasis, the Israel, or Israelites indeed, the spiritual Israel, as distinct from Israel according to the flesh.

Matthew Henry
the Israel of God, by whom he means all sincere Christians, whether Jews or Gentiles, all who are Israelites indeed, who, though they may not be the natural, yet are become the spiritual seed of Abraham; these, being heirs of his faith, are also heirs together with him of the same promise, and consequently entitled to the peace and mercy here spoken of.

John Wesley
upon the Israel, that is, the Church, of God - Which consists of all those, and those only, of every nation and kindred, who walk by this rule.

Whom to believe?

1. Modernist dispensationalites
2. Historical defenders of the True Faith for more than 17 centuries

Who needs a hint?
It is quite a mixed bag of jelly beans isn't it. The more important issue is will you support the present state, that is presently called Israel or rally against her, like these foolish anti-semites? Ten nations will join forces to attack her soon, mostly Muslim. Jesus will return and destroy all nations who go against Jerusalem. Or maybe you think Jerusalem is part of the Church too?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is quite a mixed bag of jelly beans isn't it. The more important issue is will you support the present state, that is presently called Israel or rally against her, like these foolish anti-semites? Ten nations will join forces to attack her soon, mostly Muslim. Jesus will return and destroy all nations who go against Jerusalem. Or maybe you think Jerusalem is part of the Church too?
YES, the Jewish people on earth AND Israel are here to stay = God Promised.

JESUS, the Apostles and the Scriptures declare that there are TWO separate Jerusalems and TWO Israels.

The Jerusalem/Israel of the earth is earthbound and currently dead in tresspasses and sins (She will be Revived at His Return).

Currently, only those in Christ, both Jew & Gentile, constitute the Living Eternal Israel in the Eternal Jerusalem which is Above.

Peace

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above is nonsense, in the full sense of the meaning of the word "nonsense". Israel's history is our history if we have been grafted into Christ. There is only one Israel - the Israel of God.

Christ is not divided, no matter how much your mind is.

-- There is one body and one Spirit, even as you are called in one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in you all. -- Ephesians 4:4-6

Administrations must be adapted to the time periods in which they are carried out. The administration with Adam before the fall was different from the one with his immediate family after the fall. The administration with Israel “under the law” was carried out on different principles from the present administration of Grace. This present administration is different from the one that will characterize the return of Christ. The administration of Judgment will be different from the one that will belong to the administration of Glory, when all things shall be gathered together in one under the headship of Christ.

We will never understand the truth of God’s Word if we neglect to rightly divide the subject matter. As far as we are concerned in this Grace administration, what happened to Israel in the Old Testament was written for our learning. If we do not rightly divide to whom it's addressed—the Jew, Gentile, or the Church of God, we will use one truth to contradict another truth, and we will use what is true for one group in contrast to what is also true for another group.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nothing mixed about the unanimity of the historical defenders of the True Faith in recognizing the Scriptural identity of the Israel of God.

I recognize that modernist racist dispensational futurized fantasy and fallacy is fueling antichrist Israel's Palestinian genocide, which includes Palestinian Christians.

But of course, to a zionized dispensationalite, a Palestinian Christian is worthless compared to a talmudized antichrist.

Matthew 23
33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

You obviously believe that Jesus was a foolish antisemite.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwb and David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing mixed about the unanimity of the historical defenders of the True Faith in recognizing the Scriptural identity of the Israel of God.

I recognize that modernist racist dispensational futurized fantasy and fallacy is fueling antichrist Israel's Palestinian genocide, which includes Palestinian Christians.

But of course, to a zionized dispensationalite, a Palestinian Christian is worthless compared to a talmudized antichrist.

Matthew 23
33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

The false doctrines that stem from pre-trib rapture/dispensationism is astounding and is antichrist.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 23

Soon you will stand before Jesus, the God of Israel. Pity you!

You ain't Israel!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 23

By their fruit, you will know them. Don't sense the joy, love, kindness, gentleness, goodness, peace in your posts. I'm getting a chill, I must be going now.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 23

Wow! Such HATRED for Jesus, the God of Israel!

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
We will never understand the truth of God’s Word if we neglect to rightly divide the subject matter.
Which - rightly dividing the subject matter - is what you do not do.
As far as we are concerned in this Grace administration, what happened to Israel in the Old Testament was written for our learning. If we do not rightly divide to whom it's addressed—the Jew, Gentile, or the Church of God, we will use one truth to contradict another truth, and we will use what is true for one group in contrast to what is also true for another group.
If you do not understand that Israel was born from God's calling of Abraham, and election of Abraham and his seed (Christ), and that Gentiles who believe in Jesus are grafted into THAT VERY SAME Israel among it's Jewish remnant of believers, to share with them in THE VERY SAME INHERITANCE AND HISTORY, then you are not rightly dividing the Word of Truth.

The Gentiles in Christ are listed with the house of Israel and the house of Judah in the New Covenant which God promised through the prophet Jeremiah (Jeremiah 31:31-32):

24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? 25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. 26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God. -- Romans 9.

The prophecy in Hosea that Paul is quoting is not speaking of the Jews, or the house of Judah. It's speaking of Ephraim, the house of Israel. Hosea 1:9-10.

The Gentiles in Christ are listed with the 12 tribes of Israel in Revelation 7. Ephraim's seed would become the fullness of the Gentiles. Jacob on his death-bed told Joseph this.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwb and covenantee