sanctification

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

savedbygrace57

Nov 15, 2007
The basic meaning of sanctification is being seperated unto God for a Holy Purpose..ps 4:3But know that the LORD hath set apart [sanctified] him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him. God the Father before all worlds sanctified a people and gave them to Jesus christ..for this is implied in these scriptures..Jude 1:1Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:This I believe is the sanctification of eternal Election, a special people chosen by God the Father as a bride for his Son..Jesus refers to this in jn 17:2As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. But before given to christ, Jesus says this:6I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. Notice, thine they were or had been, and thou gavest them to me..Thine they were gives understanding to jude 1 when its said, sanctified by God the Father, then, preserved in Jesus christ..for thats a result of them having been given to Him by the Father, for their preservation..Preserved in Jesus christ says jude..and the word preserved is:tēreō which means:to attend to carefully, take care ofa) to guardB) metaph. to keep, one in the state in which he isc) to observe [watch]d) to reserve: to undergo somethingThe word is used in 1 thess 5 2323And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.So the first and primary sancttification is election by God the father 1 pet 1:1Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 2Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. There is a sanctification of and by the Son, whereby His death sanctifies the elect, set them apart, for the sanctification of the Holy Ghost..Jesus speaks about sanctifying himself, in order that the elect would be sanctified jn 17:19And for their sakes I sanctify myself,[his High priestly death] that [in order that/purpose] they also might be sanctified through the truth. This means, Jesus christ death ensures the sanctification of all the elect of all generations to be sanctified by the Truth..[the gospel mystery]So in actuality, earlier He [Jesus[ was praying for something that His death would be the means of accomplishing, jn 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. cp vs 19..Jesus death is said to sanctify here in hebrews:heb 10 1010By the which will we [the called] are sanctified through the offering[death or blood] of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And they which are sanctified by this offering of His body [which means death or blood shedding]They have been perfected forever vs 1414 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. This verse alone destroys those antichrist followers who teach #1 Jesus christ died for all, for then all would be perfected forever, and #2 Those teaching lost of salvation.. for if that was true, Jesus death did not perfect them forever..And then we have the Sanctifying work of the Holy Ghost, whereby He sets apart from the world, those who # 1 Have been sanctified by election, by the Father, #2, Those who have been sanctified and perfected forever by the death of the Son..and now finally these are sanctified by the holy Ghost..1 pet 1 22 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.2 thess 2:13But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:next i will show his[Holy Ghost] levels of sanctification in His work in the elect..

savedbygrace57

Nov 15, 2007
All those sanctified by God the Father in their eternal election Jude 1, and all them sanctified by the Son by His death for them Heb 10, are likewise and consistently sanctified by the Holy Ghost for their believing of the Truth..2 thess 2 The First aspect of the Spirits sanctification is to regenerate the elect one..This is when a spiritual principle of Holiness [or new life from Christ] is imparted unto the individual, this is solely a work of the Holy Ghost apart from the preached word of God..Its a Sovereign act of the Holy Ghost of God.. Jesus describes it this way: Jn 3: 3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.[by the Holy Ghost] 8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. This birth of the Spirit is imperceptible by even the elect one him or herself.. For there is no more perception of it [New birth] as there was any perception of our first [physical] birth, all we know is that we came into consciousness of our being at sometime.. Paul writes of the sanctifying work of the Holy Ghost in regenerating us[the elect] here in Titus 3: 5Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Now because of the nature of this aspect of sanctification, regeneration and its imperceptibilities, I believe an elect can be regenerated days, weeks, and perhaps months, if not years before they are converted.. Remember I am saying that regeneration an aspect of sanctification, is merely an impartation of the new life we [the elect] have in our head..its progress and development is under His Sovereign control.. I believe this principle is alluded to here in Jesus parable of the leaven Matt 13: 33Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened. The leaven was there but not perceptive or noticed at the time, though its work was sure to accomplish its end design, moving according to the Divine Purpose and time table..for manifestation.. I believe Cornelius was regenerated before his full fledge conversion in acts 10 , hints of this is seen in comments like these: 1There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band, 2A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway. The True fear of God is a evidence of regeneration, and in this case, Cornelius and his whole house would be regenerated at this time.. 4And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God. This could be True only if he is regenerated, and if his alms are mediated through Jesus Christ already..for no alms/prayers of men are a memorial before God apart from the blood of Jesus Christ.. 31And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God. Again, only possible if regenerated, otherwise mens prayers and alms are an abomination and selfish and self centered.. 34Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: 35But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. Peter now understood, that Cornelius had been accepted of God, and this before his gospel conversion.. Peter acknowledges that Cornelius fear of God was evidence he had been accepted of God..and this through Jesus Christ the beloved as Paul tells us: eph 1: 6To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. Now this was motivation enough for peter to preach the gospel to Cornelius and his house, having learned of God their election in Jesus Christ.. So back to my point, the first act of the sanctifying work of the Holy Ghost is to impart new life into the elect vessels of mercy.. There is more to come regarding the Holy Ghosts work of sanctification of the elect after regeneration

savedbygrace57

Nov 15, 2007
The Calling The Next work of the Holy Ghost in the sanctification of the elect is the calling, operating on the mind of the elect, giving spiritual hearing..Its because of His work the elect vessel can hear spiritually..rom 10:17So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.gal 3 2This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?This Hearing is the effectual call of Grace gal 1:15But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,God the Holy Ghost calls all the members of Jesus Christ body, by his Grace..2 tim 1:9Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling [By the Holy Ghost], not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,These scriptures imply the Spirit calls and gives the ability to Hear:rev 2:29He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.rev 3:6He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.3 13He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churchesThe Holy Ghost after giving hearing, brings to belief in the Truth per eph 1:13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, many false teachers refer to this verse to prove that salvation is conditioned on believing, but how foolish, this verse teaches no such thing.The verse points out to whom it is that ends up trusting in Jesus Christ, and that is they that Heard the word of Truth..And this hearing came from the regenerating work of the Holy Ghost, giving the person a spiritually hearing ear to hear the word of Christ..The word in eph 1 13 for heard is the greek word:akouō which means:to be endowed with the faculty of hearing, not deafwe must understand, that a natural hearing, with the natural ear is not the hearing of eph 13..but its a spiritual hearing, of a spiritual message, of a spiritual person, and a spiritual endowment or falculty must be in place to recieve the message, or we run into the problem paul teaches in 1 cor 2:14But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. The natural Jews could not hear Gods word jn 8:43Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear[akouo] my word. You see that ? They could not hear spiritually, for they had no endowment spiritually or no spiritual faculty ..if so then john says47He that is of God [Born of the Spirit] heareth [akouo] God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. The Holy Ghost gives hearing, to trust or to believe the Truth..2 thess 2:13But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit [calling] and belief of the truth:God calls those sanctified by the Spirit, by the gospel to the obtaining of their eternal salvation, that is a comfortable knowledge of it..Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.There is still another work of sanctification of the Spirit, that comes next..

savedbygrace57

Nov 15, 2007
The final work of the Holy Ghost in His sanctifying work for the elect, is conversion.. This is when the Newborn soul acts Spiritually towards God, under His [ The Holy Ghost] efficacious Power..Acts 26:18To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.The Holy Ghost it is that Gives faith and repentance and all gospel obedience in the elect..phil 2:13For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.1 thess 2 13For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.1 thess 1 9For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;The sanctifying work of the holy Ghost caused the above to happen in Thessalonian..acts 3:Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.This conversion couldn't take place until the refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord..Jesus Christ sending His Spirit..The word converted is the greek word:epistrephō which means:to cause to return, to bring backso God the Holy Ghost is responsible for the converting of the elect, causing them to return or bringing them back to God..Thats His conversion work..His sanctifying work..He sets them apart for the service of God 1 thess 11 thess 1 9For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
In line with the material you have generously presented, SBG57, it can be said that the Gospel messages of salvation, sanctification, reconciliation and hope all reveal aspects of Christ's finished work that as His disciples we live and breathe.Thankyou.

savedbygrace57

Nov 15, 2007
The false teachings are many with this doctrine, but here is definitely what sanctification is not:Sanctification is not the taking away of the sin principle or nature, but rather the impartation of a New Holy Principle into our hearts, by which we [the elect] become effectually influenced, distinguished and separated unto God from the natural world of men..