Saved Or Predestined ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I pointed out, you fail to see what that necessarily meant with regards to his salvation. He can't be a witness and apostle if he remains to be an unbeliever. Now, if you deny that, then so be it with you. However, your denial of that does not refute it in any way shape or form.

Tong
R0637
No, but God can foresee his belief and decide to give him a job. God doesn't have to determine everything to get his way in some things.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you don't believe that there is such thing as irresistible grace. So, why bring that issue? Oh you are referring to the Calvinist belief. If you have an issue with that against them, please bring that to them and not to me. I am not a Calvinist. I am a Christian. How many times do I have to point that out to you so that you get that into your head?

Tong
R0639
Yet you just said there is irresistible grace. You are essentially Calvinist. How many times do I have to point that out to you to get it through your head?

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's standard of righteousness is faith.

Tong
R0640
Which you claim is not ours to produce. So in your world, no one can meet God's standard unless God causes him too. Yet scripture says:
"The apostles said to the Lord, increase
our faith!” 6 And the Lord said, “If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you."

People are commended for their faith: "I
know your deeds, and your love and faith and service and perseverance, and that your deeds of late are greater than at first."

And rebuked for lack of it:

" he said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?” Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm."

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
No, you were appealing to mystery. There is no mystery in the theory of individual election, BTW. It's simple. God chose some for heave and some for hell and that's that. So, throwing up smoke screens is always done to conceal that stark ugliness of a bad doctrine.
Well, if you don't believe the undeniable truth that regarding God's election, the choices of God are determined by God's nature, and to the undeniable truth that we don't know exactly how that is like, and to the undeniable truth that we do not have the same nature as God, then so be it with you. As for me, I'd believe the truth each and every time.

Tong
R0641

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Sure, he chose people with a purpose, but they were not chosen for salvation but for service and in fact, that is proven by the fact that one betrayed him and one denied him. So, it's not really any different than God choosing Jacob to be the head of the nation, even imperfect as he was, or choosing Samson for a job, even though Samson was not always obedient. These have nothing to do with individual election to salvation.
And after you deny the undeniable truth that the choices of God are determined by God's nature, you here deny the truth written in scriptures about the disciples that Jesus had chosen, not only for service, but for salvation. And while election for salvation is obvious, you don't see it. They were to be witnesses and apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ. If that to you is not salvation or does not necessitate salvation, then so be it with you.

You speak of Judas Iscariot. But Judas was obviously not chosen for salvation. That is clearly another failure to see the truth in scriptures.

John 13:18 “I do not speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; but that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me.’

Regarding them whom He have chosen, Jesus prayed to the Father concerning them and told us about Judas Iscariot:

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

No wonder why Jesus did not lift a finger concerning Judas.

Tong

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I said:
You contend that "..God died for every person who ever lived." with reference to the scriptures you quoted. It seems to me that you don't really understand what you say there, which I could not let pass without pointing it out here. God is immortal. Now, that is for another topic. I just felt I should point this out.

So, going back, I'd say that, that again is a misuse of said scriptures. For scriptures clearly says that Jesus Christ was sent to save His people, to save His sheep, to save those given to Him by the Father. Does those clear scriptures, at least, sound like saving every person who ever lived?

So, you jump from Jesus dying for all to all being saved. Two different things. All being saved is universalism. Christ dying for all is universal atonement, which is biblical, universalism is not, because we are plainly told many will reject his offer.
What you say there does not at all refute anything I said. For you can't honestly deny that Jesus was sent to save His people, the chosen people of God, those given to Him by the Father. And do you know who are those given by the Father to the Son? Jesus said concerning them "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me". And Jesus said "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst." Jesus also said "This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day." Clearly, one cannot deny that those that the Father have given and gives to the Son, God had chosen for salvation.

But I will, as always refute any false statement of yours, relevant or not. You said "Christ dying for all is universal atonement...." I would ask, what is the atonement for concerning those men and women who were already in the grave before the cross? I hope you will not run away or go around this too.

Tong
R0643

Last edited:

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I said:
You said "Why do we regard no one according to the flesh? Because Christ died for everyone you will ever meet. " I would ask, to whom was Paul addressing his letter? Was it not to the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints who are in all Achaia and not to all mankind for that matter? So, with regards your question, Paul was saying that we don't regard the Christians according to the flesh, for the reasons he gave in the preceding verses. In other words, what Paul said there applies to the Christian believers only for whom Jesus Christ died for, and not necessarily to all man that ever lived and ever will live. For if that necessarily applies to all man that ever lived and ever will live, Paul would have regarded the Jews, the Israelites like so, which he did not, but whom he regarded to the contrary, as his brethren, his countrymen according to the flesh.

15And He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died for them and was raised again. 16So from now on we regard no one according to the flesh. Although we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer.

What you said above is not defensible according to what the verse actually says. It says right there he died for all, not that he died for only those who were saved. You are just imposing that on scripture because it runs counter to your theology.
Again, what you say there does not at all refute anything I said. You just keep saying what it is you believe, but could not counter refute my refutation of it. You could not even address and answer the simple questions asked of you. So go ahead answer and make a counter refutation, if you can.

You think, by quoting scriptures, and misuse them to say what you make of them to say, makes a refutation? While one can read in those verses the phrase "He died for all", it does not automatically or necessarily mean that the "all" there must be taken to refer to every man that ever existed and will be existing. Context and other scriptures my friend is important. If you don't deny the clear scriptures which reveals that Jesus was sent to save His people, the chosen people of God, those given to Him by the Father, and not to "all", then you will understand what "all" there in those verses you quoted refers to.

You commented "You are just imposing that on scripture because it runs counter to your theology." I think you are facing a mirror when you wrote that.

Tong
R0644

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I said:
And while you say that, you here run away from my arguments in my post and I quote below:

Simple? You can't even seem to give an honest answer to these simple questions: How does God preserve the believers? What does being preserved by means?

Simple? You haven't even attempt to refute this simple argument: If God preserves them faithful, they will be preserved, that is, kept to be faithful. The preserving is God's responsibility, not them who are being preserved by God.

So, please don't run away from them and go ahead answer and refute.
Obviously, you have a different interpretation of what this preservation is.
Perhaps. That is why I was asking you to tell us what you mean by "preserves" when you said that God preserves the faithful.

I have not had much sleep the last two days, so will find a commentary that expresses my belief of what this means. See Psalm 41:2 for example.

Barnes commentary:
" acts of piety will be partially rewarded on the earth; or that the divine favor will be shown to those who deal kindly with others. This principle is often referred to in the Scriptures. See Psalm 1:3, note; Psalm 37:3-4, note; Psalm 37:11, note; Psalm 37:23-26, note; Psalm 37:37, note; compare Matthew 5:5; 1 Timothy 4:8. The par ticular application here is, that if any one showed kindness to him that was sick or enfeebled by disease, he might expect that God would interpose in his case under similar circumstances, and would "preserve" him, or "keep him alive."
It is not to be interpreted as teaching that this would be universally true, or that he who did this would never die, but the meaning is, that he might look for special divine aid and favor, when he in turn should be sick."

And he shall be blessed upon the earth - This is in accordance with the doctrine noticed above, and so often referred to in the Psalms and elsewhere, that the effect of religion will be to promote happiness and prosperity in this life."
It seems quite clear now that you used the word "preserve" to refer to preservation of life on earth. So, let us now, go back to where this matter started.

In my post #1595, I asked, "what is your take on this phrase in verse 4, "I have reserved for Myself"? And you replied in your post #1609, and I quote "I do not see this as a reference to the individual election of seven thousand men, but to God's preserving those who are faithful to him."

Taking now what it is you meant by "preserving", your response statement then to my question in post #1595 would be something like ....but to God's preserving the earthly lives of those who are faithful to him. If that is what you have the phrase "I have reserved" in Romans 11:4 to mean, then you are saying then that the remnant according to the election of grace then mentioned in verse 5, which Paul said are as those 7000 mentioned in verse 4, is not about eternal life, but about life on earth. Is that what you mean sir?

I don't see why you would take this preservation as some kind of irresistible faith imposed on the person. That's way off.
I am not talking about what you call there irresistible faith imposed on the person. I don't know where that is coming from. Another strawman again.

Tong
R0645

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Yes, but it's conditional on thier willingness to cooperate with his work, as the verse tells us.
Philippians 2:13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

That's good. At least you don't deny that it is God who works in the Christian. However, you made sure that you are to be credited in some way or what. You do that by injecting your belief that God's ability to be effective in His work in the Christian so that the Christian both wills and do for God's good pleasure, only on their willingness to cooperate. You see, concerning the true Christian, the willingness is no more an issue, but a given, when they believed and surrendered their life to Jesus Christ.

Well, according to you then, God could only work in you, for you to will and do for HIs good pleasure, only if you give him your cooperation. That's how it goes with your belief. On the other hand, the truth is that, God works in the Christian both to will and to, and so the Christian does so because of that.

Tong
R0646

Last edited:

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
You just contradicted your self here. First you agree they are for believers (Abraham' s spiritual decendants and then you say it's not. I have no idea what that means.
No I did not. Not if you isolate the rest of my post.

I have shown you in my post that the promises of God were not necessarily given only to the believers, as I have shown in the three (3) reference scriptures I quoted, that is, Gen.3:15, Gen. 8:21, Gen. 12"1-3. And so I concluded in my post #1709 to which you are replying to, as follows and I quote: "And so, considering all the forgoing, your statements, and I quote "Who are the promises given to? Ultimately, they are for believers." had been shown to be false."

The phrase "considering all the foregoing" there refers to my discussion of the three 3 scriptures Gen.3:15, Gen. 8:21, Gen. 12"1-3, and not of Gen. 12:1-3 only. So, please read carefully, as this is always the problem with you. You don't seem to have a proper understanding of my posts.

Tong
R0647

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Um yeah, Paul promotes evangelizing. Doesn't change a thing. Everyone who calls on God is saved. And God calls all. Not all hear and believe.
What you say there does not refute what I said in my post, that Paul qualifies those who calls on the name of the Lord, in the following verse, saying:

14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?

Tong
R0648

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I said:
Please ask a friend who can help you out with seeing the difference between faith being God's doing and faith coming from God.
Or perhaps you could explain what the difference is, if not I'll go on believing there's no difference.

It's simple really Renniks. "Doing" is not the same as "coming from". That's why even any friend of yours could point that out to you.

Tong
R0649

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
No, but God can foresee his belief and decide to give him a job. God doesn't have to determine everything to get his way in some things.
That's what you say.

The truth is, if the Lord had not done to Paul what He did, and instead left him be, Paul would have remained in his sin and unbelief.

You are so into the matter that God can foresee, but then you forget the rest of His nature. As I said, the choices of God are determined by God's nature, not only according to one of His many divine attributes.

Did God foresee that Jesus would do to Paul what He did in the road to Damascus so that Paul would believe? Of course that is what God foresaw, for that is what happened, right? So, how could you say then that God foresaw that Paul will believe so that it becomes the basis of God choosing Paul, when what is foreseen is exactly the very fact that God had chosen him?

Tong
R0650

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Yet you just said there is irresistible grace. You are essentially Calvinist. How many times do I have to point that out to you to get it through your head?
Yes, I did, but not the irresistible grace that you say the Calvinist promote and believe. So, it is not right that you say I am a Calvinist and attack me as being like one, and tag me as being a Calvinist, when I already told you that I am not a Calvinist, but a Christian, for it is Jesus I follow and not Calvin. How about you, are you an Arminian? Do you follow Arminius?

Tong
R0651

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Which you claim is not ours to produce. So in your world, no one can meet God's standard unless God causes him too.
If you believe that man produces faith, sorry to say that you got it all wrong sir. Faith is not produced by man sir. It is produced by God. It is given by God. It comes to man by hearing the word of God. So, faith comes to the man to whom God would have His words be heard.

Yet scripture says:
"The apostles said to the Lord, increase
our faith!” 6 And the Lord said, “If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you."
That's right, the apostles prayed to the Lord to increase their faith. Don't you see what that entails? If faith comes from man and is produced by man, why would they ask of God to increase their faith? If faith comes from man and is produced by man, then the increase thereof would rest upon themselves.

People are commended for their faith: "I
know your deeds, and your love and faith and service and perseverance, and that your deeds of late are greater than at first."

And rebuked for lack of it:

" he said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?” Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm."
It's not that one is commended for faith or rebuked for the lack of it, means that faith comes from man or is produced by man.

Romans 5:3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope.

You can see in that verse, that perseverance, character, and hope, does not come from within the man, but from outside the man. In this case and in relation to the Christian regarding the tribulation which they are going through in those days and times, Paul tells us that such tribulations is that which produces perseverance, and perseverance produces character, and character produces hope. Clearly perseverance, character and hope is produced inside the man (not by the man) by something outside of him. Faith towards God is like so. It is produced in the man by something outside of him.

Tong
R0652

Last edited:

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And after you deny the undeniable truth that the choices of God are determined by God's nature, you here deny the truth written in scriptures about the disciples that Jesus had chosen, not only for service, but for salvation. And while election for salvation is obvious, you don't see it. They were to be witnesses and apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ. If that to you is not salvation or does not necessitate salvation, then so be it with you.

You speak of Judas Iscariot. But Judas was obviously not chosen for salvation. That is clearly another failure to see the truth in scriptures.

John 13:18 “I do not speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; but that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me.’

Regarding them whom He have chosen, Jesus prayed to the Father concerning them and told us about Judas Iscariot:

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

No wonder why Jesus did not lift a finger concerning Judas.

Tong

16You did not choose Me, but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit— fruit that will remain— so that whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you.

This was spoken to all the disciples. They were all appointed to go and bear fruit, and as far as we know, even Judas did bear fruit, until he fell by listening to the devil.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I will, as always refute any false statement of yours, relevant or not. You said "Christ dying for all is universal atonement...." I would ask, what is the atonement for concerning those men and women who were already in the grave before the cross? I hope you will not run away or go around this too.

Those who came before were saved by faith in the promise of a coming messiah. Christ's atonement saved those, just as it saves the ones who believed after his resurrection.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think, by quoting scriptures, and misuse them to say what you make of them to say, makes a refutation? While one can read in those verses the phrase "He died for all", it does not automatically or necessarily mean that the "all" there must be taken to refer to every man that ever existed and will be existing. Context and other scriptures my friend is important. If you don't deny the clear scriptures which reveals that Jesus was sent to save His people, the chosen people of God, those given to Him by the Father, and not to "all", then you will understand what "all" there in those verses you quoted refers to.
You are confused. Jesus was sent to save his people and who are those people? Whosoever will believe! Again you are confusing being given salvation with being given grace. All are given grace, only those who respond with belief are given salvation and become the elect.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not talking about what you call there irresistible faith imposed on the person. I don't know where that is coming from. Another strawman again.
Yet you keep insisting God just gives some faith and not others. If this is the case, can one refuse the faith that God gives him?

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 2:13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

That's good. At least you don't deny that it is God who works in the Christian. However, you made sure that you are to be credited in some way or what. You do that by injecting your belief that God's ability to be effective in His work in the Christian so that the Christian both wills and do for God's good pleasure, only on their willingness to cooperate. You see, concerning the true Christian, the willingness is no more an issue, but a given, when they believed and surrendered their life to Jesus Christ.

Well, according to you then, God could only work in you, for you to will and do for HIs good pleasure, only if you give him your cooperation. That's how it goes with your belief. On the other hand, the truth is that, God works in the Christian both to will and to, and so the Christian does so because of that.

Tong
R0646
This is amusing. It's the classic Calvinist trying to have his cake and eat it too scenerio. You actually say, I assume with a straight face: You see, "concerning the true Christian, the willingness is no more an issue, but a given, when they believed and surrendered their life to Jesus Christ."

And yet you say: "On the other hand, the truth is that, God works in the Christian both to will and to, and so the Christian does so because of that."
So which is it? Is there surrender on the believers part of not? Oh, wait, they don't actually believe in your scenario, God believes for them! You can't even make your argument without claiming that the Christian has to submit to God while at the same time trying to deny that the Christian has to submit to God. It's gooblygook. Just read the verse for what it says, both are true, we have to work at it and God works in us.