Should a Christian smoke marijuana?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Anyone who has issues with marijuana being used in chemistry to make medicines is a total fool.
We grow a plant in Kingaroy QLD Australia that is 1000 times more toxic and it's grown for medicines, all one has to do is brush by the plant and you can end up in pixie land.
Not to mention 1000's of plants and toxic fish you name it all have been found to be made work in the chemistry of making medicines.
I've brushed up against Dendrocnide maroides....that's another story akin to an imagined purgatory. I've also danced with Semecarpus australiensis. The next dance I have with that baby will be in a hazmat suit and air filtration device.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

McFearless

Nov 16, 2021
Denmark(Copenhagen)
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
What if a follower of Christ has chronic pain and knows they have a weakness for opioids?
Can, or should, a new believer, a recovering Fentanyl addict, use cannabis while they recover?
I maintain that the best drug is no drug, since they all have side effects.
Then there is addictive behavior.

I would normally go with “smoke away” but since you are a recovering fentanyl addict, I can’t advice it. I simply don’t know enough about addiction.
I did however once have a drug dealer, who got him self off of Heroine using cannabis (according to himself).

There is, in my opinion, nothing wrong with smoking cannabis as a Christian, pain or no pain.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would normally go with “smoke away” but since you are a recovering fentanyl addict, I can’t advice it. I simply don’t know enough about addiction.
I did however once have a drug dealer, who got him self off of Heroine using cannabis (according to himself).

There is, in my opinion, nothing wrong with smoking cannabis as a Christian, pain or no pain.
isn't there a place where they breath smoke according to many folks here?....Noooo, noooo, not Harry Hedgehogs, not Humpty's Hall but it's getting close starting with H.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if a follower of Christ has chronic pain and knows they have a weakness for opioids?
Can, or should, a new believer, a recovering Fentanyl addict, use cannabis while they recover?
I maintain that the best drug is no drug, since they all have side effects.
Then there is addictive behavior.
If they suffer from chronic pain, they need to take something, usually they'll visit a pain management clinic or Doctor.

You cannot function in pain, I had surgery done to my shoulder and because of the laws passed because of the opiate pandemic, they restricted the amount of pills a Doctor can give a patient, I was given 15 Hydrocodone Pills 5/325, that's low dose for the kind of pain I was in, they cut a bone spur out of my shoulder and removed a cyst and I was in extreme pain after the anesthesia wore off, unbearable pain, the Doctor said I could double up on the pills every 6 hours, well with 15 pills, they ran out pretty quick, well when I called the Doctor for a refill he wouldn't give me any more pain pills, and I don't have a history of abuse where it could've been the cause for him to reject my request, he just plain told me he wasn't allowed to prescribe more than the 15 pills, instead he prescribed Prednisone a steroid which did nothing and then 800mg of prescription Ibuprofen which also did nothing.

Because of the addict the legitimate person in pain has to suffer? So I bared the pain, as I knew it wouldn't last forever, but in certain peoples cases they have chronic pain that will never go away, so are we to let them suffer? I don't think God wants us to suffer and as long as you take you take your meds as directed by the Doctor you'll be ok, but if you have other intentions like to get high off the meds, then that is on you, but others shouldn't have to suffer the way many are suffering today because of the new laws passed, the legitimate person in pain will go to his Doctor for a script, the addict will get his drugs regardless, he will go to his local dealers who do not abide by the law.

It's like gun laws law abiding citizens apply for permits and licenses for their guns, take away that right and only the criminals will have guns, because they don't abide by the law and will get their guns off the street.

God left a cure on this Earth for everything, he does not want us to suffer.

McFearless

Nov 16, 2021
Denmark(Copenhagen)
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
isn't there a place where they breath smoke according to many folks here?....Noooo, noooo, not Harry Hedgehogs, not Humpty's Hall but it's getting close starting with H.

I’m not sure, Heaven?
I know that researchers are pretty sure that the Hebrew word q’aneh-bosm means cannabis. If that’s correct, cannabis is an ingredients in The Holy Annoynting Oil. Cannabis was common during the days of Jesus and has been used for many thousands of years. I doubt that God has a problem with cannabis. Cannabis only became a problem when slave keepers found that their slaves weren’t effective when they smoke. If it was a problem, I’m also sure that there would have been a specific reference telling people to stay away from it.

Cannabis is only frowned upon because of some ungodly people in America started a political war against it. Don’t mistake Herod for being God!

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know what you’re talking about really. Q’aneh-bosm is an ingredient in

I’m not sure, Heaven?
I know that researchers are pretty sure that the Hebrew word q’aneh-bosm means cannabis. If that’s correct, cannabis is an ingredients in The Holy Annoynting Oil. Cannabis was common during the days of Jesus and has been used for many thousands of years. I doubt that God has a problem with cannabis. Cannabis only became a problem when slave keepers found that their slaves weren’t effective when they smoke. If it was a problem, I’m also sure that there would have been a specific reference telling people to stay away from it.

Cannabis is only frowned upon because of some ungodly people in America started a political war against it. Don’t mistake Herod for being God!
lol, now pot was in the anointing oil, you can't make this stuff up. Are you a pot smoker?

Reactions: LouisWilliams

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You people in Denmark are too liberal, aren't drugs legal in your country for personal use even heroine, or am I mistaking Denmark for Holland?

McFearless

Nov 16, 2021
Denmark(Copenhagen)
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
You people in Denmark are too liberal, aren't drugs legal in your country for personal use even heroine, or am I mistaking Denmark for Holland?
You are mistaking Denmark for Holland but I am sure that no country in the western world has got more drug problems than The USA. Patriotism is a flawed religion and Denmark isn’t legalizing (The USA is legalizing it).
Denmark made it illegal in the approx 1960’s because The USA requested it and because Denmark really didn’t have any cannabis users. Now America is legalizing and decriminalizing it, but the law is still in effect in Denmark.

Europeans are not liberals - I know that you use those labels in The USA.
Europeans generally believe in the welfare state, high taxes, that the government should be able to restrict our access to guns etc.
To Americans one is only a liberal if one is pro abortion, pro gay marriage, pro freedom of religion, pro refuge, pro taxes.

I’m not a leftist. I identify as a Christian.
I believe that abortion is a sin, I believe that gay sex is a sin but I am also pro freedom of religion and taking care of refugees. If one’s belief system doesn’t include welcoming the stranger, one shouldn’t call it Christianity.

America didn’t invent Christianity, America only domesticated Christianity - and it’s not a pretty sight.

Jesus was a refugee

Reactions: GaryAnderson

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pot does a lot of things to me. Even the cbd gummies they have now today. I don’t mind whatever other people do, some people can’t even take their pain medication because it makes the feel messed up in their mind.

It’s an individual choice: I’m not gonna harp over what a person does by their own choice.

Do I believe it does have effects on the brain and things of that nature, I do. And I believe that addiction can lead down a dark road. However there are people who believe in Jesus and are drug addicts: they just have not overcome their fleshly desires I guess yet, and we all fall short.

So to go up to a person and tell them you can’t be doing that is not the proper course of action, especially if it a fully grown adult. They have their choices they have to make.

I wouldn’t advocate it as being the cure all compared to Jesus, and on a side not their are doctors to go see if something may be needed to take care of certain pains.

God can possibly heal you from those pains whatever it may be, but I know doctors are needed to sometimes.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are mistaking Denmark for Holland but I am sure that no country in the western world has got more drug problems than The USA. Patriotism is a flawed religion and Denmark isn’t legalizing (The USA is legalizing it).
Denmark made it illegal in the approx 1960’s because The USA requested it and because Denmark really didn’t have any cannabis users. Now America is legalizing and decriminalizing it, but the law is still in effect in Denmark.

Europeans are not liberals - I know that you use those labels in The USA.
Europeans generally believe in the welfare state, high taxes, that the government should be able to restrict our access to guns etc.
To Americans one is only a liberal if one is pro abortion, pro gay marriage, pro freedom of religion, pro refuge, pro taxes.

I’m not a leftist. I identify as a Christian.
I believe that abortion is a sin, I believe that gay sex is a sin but I am also pro freedom of religion and taking care of refugees. If one’s belief system doesn’t include welcoming the stranger, one shouldn’t call it Christianity.

America didn’t invent Christianity, America only domesticated Christianity - and it’s not a pretty sight.

Jesus was a refugee
I’m against the legalizing of drugs less they be prescribed by a Doctor for legitimate illnesses.

I’m also pro guns as that’s our right and no one’s taking that away, I’m Christian also and believe America is the biggest Christian country in the world who actually still abides by Christianity despite the communist government now in power are trying to defile everything Christianity stands for.

We don’t allow brothels or prostitution like many Catholic majority countries do, except for Nevada, I’ll never understand how that was allowed.

Europe will be overrun by all the Muslims you’ve let into the Continent, and perhaps here too with this commie government, but before that happens there will be a fight, after all we still have our guns and militias, and will fight off any onslaught that will try and take Christ from us, yeah we’ll fight to the death for that, and not give into Islam as so many Baltic and Eastern European countries did back during the Muslim onlsaught that occurred back in the day, that Romania fought off as did Portugal and Spain did, at least those countries had the will to fight for God and Christ.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

McFearless

Nov 16, 2021
Denmark(Copenhagen)
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
I’m against the legalizing of drugs less they be prescribed by a Doctor for legitimate illnesses.

I’m also pro guns as that’s our right and no one’s taking that away, I’m Christian also and believe America is the biggest Christian country in the world who actually still abides by Christianity despite the communist government now in power are trying to defile everything Christianity stands for.

We don’t allow brothels or prostitution like many Catholic majority countries do, except for Nevada, I’ll never understand how that was allowed.

Europe will be overrun by all the Muslims you’ve let into the Continent, and perhaps here too with this commie government, but before that happens there will be a fight, after all we still have our guns and militias, and will fight off any onslaught that will try and take Christ from us, yeah we’ll fight to the death for that, and not give into Islam as so many Baltic and Eastern European countries did back during the Muslim onlsaught that occurred back in the day, that Romania fought off as did Portugal and Spain did, at least those countries had the will to fight for God and Christ.
Luckily we are told to love and bless even our enemies, so I’m not opposed to welcoming the Samaritan or the Muslims. Jesus died for them too, they just don’t know it yet. I’m not going to coward away from his word, even if I think it will be hard times with mass migration and possibly being overrun by Muslims. If I am not willing to coward away from his word, just because it will be hard times. If we are not prepared to love and sacrifice through the challenges of our time, what is our faith really worth?

In the time of Jesus and many places on this earth today, it’s dangerous to be a Christian. We should not run from danger, but trust in our Heavenly Father and accept what may come.
We have read the revelations, it’s his plan, we can’t fight the times but we can be kind, show mercy and have compassion and love.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will not judge anyone for using marijuana, esp for medicinal purposes.
However, for me, recreational use is a big no-no as a Christian. It use does not allow me to make good decisions, it's mind altering, and as a Christian, I need to be focused. I try to stay away from anything that alter my thinking processes.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luckily we are told to love and bless even our enemies, so I’m not opposed to welcoming the Samaritan or the Muslims. Jesus died for them too, they just don’t know it yet. I’m not going to coward away from his word, even if I think it will be hard times with mass migration and possibly being overrun by Muslims. If I am not willing to coward away from his word, just because it will be hard times. If we are not prepared to love and sacrifice through the challenges of our time, what is our faith really worth?

In the time of Jesus and many places on this earth today, it’s dangerous to be a Christian. We should not run from danger, but trust in our Heavenly Father and accept what may come.
We have read the revelations, it’s his plan, we can’t fight the times but we can be kind, show mercy and have compassion and love.
I am kind and compassionate but God does not want us to give in to those who slander him and his son Christ as the majority of the Jews and all Muslims do and atheists and so forth.

They tried taking the word God from our money and it didn’t work, In God We Trust!

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Exodus 3: 2325, Song of Solomon 4:14, Isaiah 43: 24, Jeremiah 6:2, and Ezekiel 27:19 are the only references to an unusual plant translated as "sweet cane", "calamus", "sweet myrtle" and in other ways indicative of the confusion over which plant is intended. The Hebrew word, qaneh, indicates a fragrant plant with an upright aspect.

The verses in the prophets (op. cit.) clearly indicate the value of calamus and the fact that it was widely traded with nations in Asia. Two plants have been suggested. The first is a widespread plant of wetlands in the northern hemispheres of both the Old and New Worlds, Acorus calamus L. (Araceae). The rhizome has a peculiar sweet, lingering aroma suitable as a "carrier" in a perfume. Motley (1994) suggests that A. calamus is the calamus mentioned in Exodus 3 for the anoint ing oil applied to priests and objects in the tabernacle. Milne and Milne (1967) state that A. calamus was found in the tombs of the Pharaohs but cite no reference. Acorus calamus is not listed in a modern treatment of perfumery (Calkin and Jellinek 1994) but is still used in medicine and cosmetics (Leung and Foster 1996).

The second candidate is lemon grass. These are species of the genus Cymbopogon (Poaceae), most likely C. citratus (DC) Stapf. although several species are widely grown in tropical regions for their aroma and flavor. As the oil of lemon grass can be sensitizing to the skin (Leung and Foster 1996), it seems a less likely candidate for the biblical calamus than A. calamus.

Song of Solomon 4:14 indicates that "calamus" was grown as a garden plant. Acorus calamus is a plant of wet areas, scarcely the setting of this garden and not native to Israel. This is easily explained by the fact that this is a poetic expression of fragrant plants, including those that are not native in the Middle East."

Plants of the Bible - ODU Plant Site

McFearless

Nov 16, 2021
Denmark(Copenhagen)
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
I am kind and compassionate but God does not want us to give in to those who slander him and his son Christ as the majority of the Jews and all Muslims do and atheists and so forth.

They tried taking the word God from our money and it didn’t work, In God We Trust!
I find it ironic to write something like that on money in a capitalist society.
Sounds like something the Devil would do as a joke, maybe it should be: Matt 6:24 instead.

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keneh bosem - canna bosem- canna bis- cannabis. Sounds a lot like cannabis to me.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find it ironic to write something like that on money in a capitalist society.
Sounds like something the Devil would do as a joke, maybe it should be: Matt 6:24 instead.

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
In God We Trust and no one else!