Should a Christian smoke marijuana?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found my information on the internet, too. Post 235.
I cannot believe God would utilize a mind altering drug, when Peter counsels us to be sober

Be sober, be vigilant
1 Peter 5:8 "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

IMO, not being in full possession of faculties, one would be more inclined to sin.

But you do you. I am staying away from it.

Reactions: LouisWilliams

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s a stretch to say “we” as a collective, when most men worship money even in America. The word God is also pretty neutral, to some people, money is their god.
You are right and I agree with you where to some people money is their God, I knew a family who belonged or still belongs I’m not around them anymore, to the Congregation of Christ Church and they worshipped money, like it was their God.

Reactions: McFearless

McFearless

Nov 16, 2021
Denmark(Copenhagen)
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
I found my information on the internet, too. Post 235.
I cannot believe God would utilize a mind altering drug, when Peter counsels us to be sober

Be sober, be vigilant
1 Peter 5:8 "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

IMO, not being in full possession of faculties, one would be more inclined to sin.

But you do you. I am staying away from it.

The word sober has developed through our history, I’m pretty sure the biblical word only refers to alcohol, which makes men violent, sexual deviant etc. Cannabis doesn’t exactly have the same side effects it just makes people a little happy, a little sleepy, enhances curiosity and hunger for candy and snacks.
When you are drunk the devil will come and tempt you, but you can’t resist because you’re drunk, but cannabis doesn’t actually work the same way. I just find it a little odd to compare the two, alcohol and cannabis.

McFearless

Nov 16, 2021
Denmark(Copenhagen)
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
You are right and I agree with you where to some people money is their God, I knew a family who belonged or still belongs I’m not around them anymore, to the Congregation of Christ Church and they worshipped money, like it was their God.
Just think the warning from Matt:6:24 is great. It’s like buying a pack of cigarettes with a warning and everything..

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sober-minded

Strong's Concordance
sóphroneó: to be of sound mind, i.e. to be temperate
Original Word: σωφρονέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: sóphroneó
Phonetic Spelling: (so-fron-eh'-o)
Definition: to be of sound mind, to be temperate
Usage: I am of sound mind, am sober-minded, exercise self-control.
HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 4993 sōphronéō – properly, safety-minded; having a sober outlook that reflects true balance.

For the believer, 4993 /sōphronéō ("think shrewdly") reflects what God defines is true moderation. This God-controlled perspective blends the extremities of truth on both sides of a matter. See 4998 (sōphrōn).

[The whole word-family (root, sōphro-) comes from two words: sōos ("safe") and phrēn ("what regulates life," the root of the English term, "diaphram").

Example: An opera singer controls the length (quality) of their tones by their diaphragm, which even controls our ability to breathe and moderates heartbeat. This regulates ("brings safety") to the body, keeping it properly controlled.]

Reactions: amadeus

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word sober has developed through our history, I’m pretty sure the biblical word only refers to alcohol, which makes men violent, sexual deviant etc. Cannabis doesn’t exactly have the same side effects it just makes people a little happy, a little sleepy, enhances curiosity and hunger for candy and snacks.
When you are drunk the devil will come and tempt you, but you can’t resist because you’re drunk, but cannabis doesn’t actually work the same way. I just find it a little odd to compare the two, alcohol and cannabis.
I am aware of how cannabis works, having been stoned a few times in the past, and I can honestly tell you that I couldn't do much of anything except for laugh a lot and cook hotdogs, but I was not a good witness, and we are counselled to let our light shine. My wasn't shining. I probably could not have found it if I wanted to.

If it alters the mind in any way, it is not good for a Christian to do. IMO. I will not judge you. For me, it would be sin.

McFearless

Nov 16, 2021
Denmark(Copenhagen)
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
I am aware of how cannabis works, having been stoned a few times in the past, and I can honestly tell you that I couldn't do much of anything except for laugh a lot and cook hotdogs, but I was not a good witness, and we are counselled to let our light shine. My wasn't shining. I probably could not have found it if I wanted to.

Just because we are told to let our light shine, doesn’t meant that we don’t close the door to the toilet or are alone ever.
My light shines even through that cannabis cloud..

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The last I heard I believe that the use of marijuana is forbidden by the U.S. government. And if so, we are not to use it in any other form.

In this case, we are to obey government for rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. (Romans 13:1-7).

To God BE The Glory

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are mistaking Denmark for Holland but I am sure that no country in the western world has got more drug problems than The USA. Patriotism is a flawed religion and Denmark isn’t legalizing (The USA is legalizing it).
Denmark made it illegal in the approx 1960’s because The USA requested it and because Denmark really didn’t have any cannabis users. Now America is legalizing and decriminalizing it, but the law is still in effect in Denmark.

Europeans are not liberals - I know that you use those labels in The USA.
Europeans generally believe in the welfare state, high taxes, that the government should be able to restrict our access to guns etc.
To Americans one is only a liberal if one is pro abortion, pro gay marriage, pro freedom of religion, pro refuge, pro taxes.

I’m not a leftist. I identify as a Christian.
I believe that abortion is a sin, I believe that gay sex is a sin but I am also pro freedom of religion and taking care of refugees. If one’s belief system doesn’t include welcoming the stranger, one shouldn’t call it Christianity.

America didn’t invent Christianity, America only domesticated Christianity - and it’s not a pretty sight.

Jesus was a refugee

I agree so much with the above.
I’d like to add that in another thread you’ve mentioned you had an American girlfriend. I hope you have learned the huge cultural differences between your country and USA. This is why I like that you prioritize The Lord and not a nation or a philosophy.
Keep up the good work in Christ.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The last I heard I believe that the use of marijuana is forbidden by the U.S. government. And if so, we are not to use it in any other form.

In this case, we are to obey government for rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. (Romans 13:1-7).

To God BE The Glory

The federal government thinks it’s illegal. But my state says it’s legal. The fed shouldn’t even exist.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To God BE The Glory
Yes it’s still banned by the Federal Government.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are mistaking Denmark for Holland but I am sure that no country in the western world has got more drug problems than The USA. Patriotism is a flawed religion and Denmark isn’t legalizing (The USA is legalizing it).
Denmark made it illegal in the approx 1960’s because The USA requested it and because Denmark really didn’t have any cannabis users. Now America is legalizing and decriminalizing it, but the law is still in effect in Denmark.

Europeans are not liberals - I know that you use those labels in The USA.
Europeans generally believe in the welfare state, high taxes, that the government should be able to restrict our access to guns etc.
To Americans one is only a liberal if one is pro abortion, pro gay marriage, pro freedom of religion, pro refuge, pro taxes.

I’m not a leftist. I identify as a Christian.
I believe that abortion is a sin, I believe that gay sex is a sin but I am also pro freedom of religion and taking care of refugees. If one’s belief system doesn’t include welcoming the stranger, one shouldn’t call it Christianity.

America didn’t invent Christianity, America only domesticated Christianity - and it’s not a pretty sight.

Jesus was a refugee
Yes many people do mistake the Dutch and Danish for being one in the same.
My mum is Danish and she has a brother in Denmark so I do still hear about what goes on in Denmark.

I remember my grand mother in her 80's was spat on by a Islamic brat riding by on a push bike as she waited for a bus, lucky for him my grand dad was dead, or he would of killed him.
My grand dad did do buildings for the richest 1% in Islamic County's. he despised them as the most cunning of all creeps you could deal with apart from the wealthy Jews who were cut from the same cloth. he said it was like dealing with someone with rabies.

Denmark's culture has been destroyed by Islam nowadays, most of the Shops have been over run by such people and the good food that the Danish once made is getting harder to get.
I remember the great food that the true Danish people would make over here, but that's nothing like the quality what it once was now, let alone if you can get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnPaul

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes many people do mistake the Dutch and Danish for being one in the same.
My mum is Danish and she has a brother in Denmark so I do still hear about what goes on in Denmark.

I remember my grand mother in her 80's was spat on by a Islamic brat riding by on a push bike as she waited for a bus, lucky for him my grand dad was dead, or he would of killed him.
My grand dad did do buildings for the richest 1% in Islamic County's. he despised them as the most cunning of all creeps you could deal with apart from the wealthy Jews who were cut from the same cloth. he said it was like dealing with someone with rabies.

Denmark's culture has been destroyed by Islam nowadays, most of the Shops have been over run by such people and the good food that the Danish once made is getting harder to get.
I remember the great food that the true Danish people would make over here, but that's nothing like the quality what it once was now, let alone if you can get it.
you mean it wasn't like the olden days? ..hmmmm
Ecclesiastes 7:10 Say not thou: 'How was it that the former days were better than these?' for it is not out of wisdom that thou inquirest concerning this.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Its interesting that cannabis was used as medicine for thousands of years before big pharma introduced their patent drugs....then all of a sudden they renamed it, and made out like it was some toxic drug from over the border....it would make you go mad and turn you into a sex fiend!
If you watch those 1936 "Reefer Madness" propaganda films now, you just laugh yourself silly.

The truth is, any drug, plant based or otherwise, needs to be administered in the right dosage or any drug can kill you....even paracetamol.

Contrary to popular opinion, cannabis in not physically addictive and should be the drug of choice to help addicts over their addictions to opioids, which kill more people every year than any other prescription drugs......and there is not a single case of cannabis overdose causing death, because it isn't toxic. If someone was admitted to hospital with a drug overdose leading to death, it will not be caused by cannabis, but by what was used in conjunction with it.

The fact that this medicine is only now surfacing as a legitimate medical treatment for so many conditions, is due to those brave enough to stand up to the pharmaceutical industry, and expose the lies they have told for decades......they do not want a cheap plant that you can grow in your own garden fixing conditions that they make big money out of not curing.

We have an endocannabinoid system in our bodies that is designed for this medicine. But you will never hear that from the orthodox medicos, who have been taught that it is useless and even harmful. But its application for PTSD, anxiety disorders, Parkinson's disease, Crohn's Disease and Epilepsy, to name just a few, has been incredible. Yet still it is labelled in many parts of the world as a schedule one drug....when it never was.

Pharma is into "treatments" which hopefully won't kill you, but will simply alleviate symptoms so that you will keep hooked on their over priced drugs for the rest of your miserable life, fleecing you every time you fill a prescription. Hasn't anyone twigged by now that the orthodox medical system is after only one thing....to empty your wallet and they use their indoctrinated pharmacology trained physicians to prescribe them.

The ignorance concerning the medicinal use of cannabis is appalling, and to see people even now still brainwashed by a system that is robbing them blind but curing nothing with their very expensive drugs and treatments....the majority of which are synthetic chemicals that your body does not how to deal with, producing all manner of "side effects" in a long list.

"Side effects" are the result of your body reacting badly to the synthetic chemicals that they are giving you to supposedly make you well....except that it is actually making you sicker. So to turn off one side effect they will prescribe another drug which will have another set of side effects. For those who have been on this carousel, and it has left them drug dependent..... you have my sympathy.

Its a treadmill I have been on and now will not have a bar of it. Natural medicines are now my "drugs" of choice and if I lived where there was a cannabis pharmacy, it would be my first port of call.
I envy Californians for their access to this medicine by people who know what to prescribe and what dosage should be given for any condition....we need at least one in every city...IMO.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Its interesting that cannabis was used as medicine for thousands of years before big pharma introduced their patent drugs....then all of a sudden they renamed it, and made out like it was some toxic drug from over the border....it would make you go mad and turn you into a sex fiend!
If you watch those 1936 "Reefer Madness" propaganda films now, you just laugh yourself silly.

The truth is, any drug, plant based or otherwise, needs to be administered in the right dosage or any drug can kill you....even paracetamol.

Contrary to popular opinion, cannabis in not physically addictive and should be the drug of choice to help addicts over their addictions to opioids, which kill more people every year than any other prescription drugs......and there is not a single case of cannabis overdose causing death, because it isn't toxic. If someone was admitted to hospital with a drug overdose leading to death, it will not be caused by cannabis, but by what was used in conjunction with it.

The fact that this medicine is only now surfacing as a legitimate medical treatment for so many conditions, is due to those brave enough to stand up to the pharmaceutical industry, and expose the lies they have told for decades......they do not want a cheap plant that you can grow in your own garden fixing conditions that they make big money out of not curing.

We have an endocannabinoid system in our bodies that is designed for this medicine. But you will never hear that from the orthodox medicos, who have been taught that it is useless and even harmful. But its application for PTSD, anxiety disorders, Parkinson's disease, Crohn's Disease and Epilepsy, to name just a few, has been incredible. Yet still it is labelled in many parts of the world as a schedule one drug....when it never was.

Pharma is into "treatments" which hopefully won't kill you, but will simply alleviate symptoms so that you will keep hooked on their over priced drugs for the rest of your miserable life, fleecing you every time you fill a prescription. Hasn't anyone twigged by now that the orthodox medical system is after only one thing....to empty your wallet and they use their indoctrinated pharmacology trained physicians to prescribe them.

The ignorance concerning the medicinal use of cannabis is appalling, and to see people even now still brainwashed by a system that is robbing them blind but curing nothing with their very expensive drugs and treatments....the majority of which are synthetic chemicals that your body does not how to deal with, producing all manner of "side effects" in a long list.

"Side effects" are the result of your body reacting badly to the synthetic chemicals that they are giving you to supposedly make you well....except that it is actually making you sicker. So to turn off one side effect they will prescribe another drug which will have another set of side effects. For those who have been on this carousel, and it has left them drug dependent..... you have my sympathy.

Its a treadmill I have been on and now will not have a bar of it. Natural medicines are now my "drugs" of choice and if I lived where there was a cannabis pharmacy, it would be my first port of call.
I envy Californians for their access to this medicine by people who know what to prescribe and what dosage should be given for any condition....we need at least one in every city...IMO.
Do you smoke weed AJ?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you smoke weed AJ?
No, and I never have, but I have watched enough youtube videos to know that cannabis should be legal to grow in your own garden for your own personal medicinal use. Not commercial quantities, just for your own use, for anxiety and depression and especially for epilepsy in children.
Parkinson's Disease and pain management are also important uses.
Not smoking it, but vaping or having it in cannabis oil.

To keep this under a schedule one classification is just plain wicked.
You can legally make your own wine and alcohol is addictive. Cannabis is not.