Should Christians wear Crosses/Crucifix's

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thomasleonard

Christian Spokesman
Aug 17, 2014
London
Pretty fair. Although i think it comes down to the reason why you wear it in what purpose. Because i believe both Cross and Crucifix are symbols of hope.
One a symbol of resurrection and the other a symbol of rebirth form sin.
Today i lost my Crucifix necklace, quite sad really. One that it cost money but the main reason is its a representation of my faith.
Its what's in the heart that count's.
God bless.

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
@ thomasleonard ...

I can understand your viewpoint as that of a Catholic, my mother was Catholic - Scots descent (Taylor) - and she had a crucifix on the wall in our
living room.
Whenever I would ask her something about the crucifix or point to it, she would respond that God was with us.
Also when a local Catholic church was robbed and the church's crucifix was stolen she responded by saying that the thieves were going to be
seriously punished by God.
So from an early age, I came to understand that the crucifix was not merely ornamental but had some kind of supernatural properties about it.
This idea was reinforced by my aunts and uncles, so it was not an isolated viewpoint.

This is where I have a problem with a crucifix ... it's not magical and God's presence is not located in it or around it as God does not dwell in any
earthly representation of himself.
And he says so.
Now I'm not saying that you personally believe this but it is my experience that Catholics in general do.

This will always be a bone of contention between Catholics and Protestants so your brothers and sisters here will side with you and the Protestants
will not.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
they are reminders of our hope

thomasleonard

Christian Spokesman
Aug 17, 2014
London
Thanks for all the comments.
@Enquirer
Thanks for your opinion, however I am not catholic. I don't attend Catholic churches nor do i believe in some of the Catholics ways of belief.
I am Church of England/Anglican.
I prefer the methods used in the Anglican churches and feel the presence of God is truly in them.
I however found my faith in a Roman Catholic church in a foreign country, Italy.
In language i did not understand, but i felt a spiritual connection that i have never felt. So all Churches representing God and Jesus Christ are filled with the Holy Spirit.
And the holy spirit has no language. Only the presence of God.
But i do appreciate your comment. I do agree that Catholics generally do have beliefs more extreme like that, but nobody condemns them for it, And i know not all Catholics do exactly that, and most have differentiated beliefs.

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
aspen said:
Yes they are, and we need to constantly remind ourselves of what Christ did ... work, family, life in general etc.have a tendency to fill our minds and
distract us.

@ thomasleonard ... you have a great spirit and it shows, keep posting brother ... we can all learn from your simplicity and humble approach to God.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
thomasleonard said:
@Enquirer
Thanks for your opinion, however I am not catholic. I don't attend Catholic churches nor do i believe in some of the Catholics ways of belief.
I prefer the methods used in the Anglican churches and feel the presence of God is truly in them.
I however found my faith in a Roman Catholic church in a foreign country, Italy.
In language i did not understand, but i felt a spiritual connection that i have never felt. So all Churches representing God and Jesus Christ are filled with the Holy Spirit.
But i do appreciate your comment. I do agree that Catholics generally do have beliefs more extreme like that, but nobody condemns them for it, And i know not all Catholics do exactly that, and most have differentiated beliefs.
When most people say they're Catholic, they're assumed to be Roman Catholic. You are Catholic, as Anglicans have always called themselves Catholic, just not Roman Catholic. I understand disavowing the title to avoid any confusion, but to me, you're Catholic just as I am, just as Anglicans have thought of themselves for centuries.
aspen said:
That and so much more. We Catholics have a long history of beliefs in icons. I have a blessed Holy Martyrs Of Korea rosary and another medal blessed by Pope Benedict. Just like with holy water, we believe that the stuff of earth can contain the winds of heaven and that certain items, crucifixes, statues, shrines and places of pilgrimage are much more than meets the eye. This is what Enquirer was referring too.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The following is an excerpt from the Orthodox Church;

Acting in full harmony with these passages, the Orthodox Church forbids the manufacture of any likeness whatsoever of God. For this reason, Orthodox icons are only those that depict the saints and our Lord Jesus Christ, in His human nature. Icons that supposedly depict God are considered idols by the Church.

This seems contradictory to me in that Jesus IS God yet crucifixes are apparently allowed? Makes no sense to me and in light of scripture, 1 John 5:21, even less so. As an ex RC, I have seen many people pray to statues of Mary, Joseph, St. Francis and others. I don't really get how they can justify doing this in light of what the Bible says? This was one of the main reasons I left the RCC. This practise if far to engrained to be taught against within that organization.

thomasleonard

Christian Spokesman
Aug 17, 2014
London
If a church includes statues, it is not worshipping an idol, it is a mere representation of that person. I don't see it as wrong to do so. That's my personal opinion though.
God bless.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
thomasleonard said:
If a church includes statues, it is not worshipping an idol, it is a mere representation of that person. I don't see it as wrong to do so. That's my personal opinion though.
God bless.
The worship of God has always included the use of statues. Those who think statues are inappropriate in liturgy are not reading their Bibles.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This Vale Of Tears said:
The worship of God has always included the use of statues. Those who think statues are inappropriate in liturgy are not reading their Bibles.
Then maybe you should educate us that have already quoted scripture for you that shows you should NOT?

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Perhaps you should read the second of God's ten commandments...you shall not make any graven images...let alone pray to them or bow down to them!
@Enquirer
If one is into statues and the like, perhaps it would be wise to test the spirit you are actually following, is it from God or from satan (antichrist), according the the Apostle John in his writings in 1,2,3 John.