Should we debate theology on social media? - Advice from John MacArthur

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I enjoy discussing doctrine. The problem is that many cannot do so without getting angry. When I'm with other Christians and I stick to the basics, love God, love one another, and try to live a Godly life. Anything beyond that risks negative feedback from others.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I enjoy discussing doctrine. The problem is that many cannot do so without getting angry. When I'm with other Christians and I stick to the basics, love God, love one another, and try to live a Godly life. Anything beyond that risks negative feedback from others.

There are major differences between debate and discussion.

I have no interest in debating. I have much interest in discussing.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I'm with you. Many view such "discussion" as an opportunity to debate or to win an argument.

They have their reward, at least in their minds.

I learned a long time ago, the hard way, that debating is a lose - lose proposition for those who engage in them. It causes people (on both sides) to close their minds and to act in ways which they otherwise wouldn’t.

I gave up debating around 20 years ago when I saw what it was doing to me and to others - hardening our hearts.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I read the linked article a couple of days ago and think it makes a number of good points about the advantages of discussion over debate.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Should we debate theology on social media? I agree with MacArthur that it’s a waste of time. And worse.

Should we discuss theology on social media? I wouldn’t be doing it if I thought that I shouldn’t. And I encourage others to discuss it.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They have their reward, at least in their minds.

I learned a long time ago, the hard way, that debating is a lose - lose proposition for those who engage in them. It causes people (on both sides) to close their minds and to act in ways which they otherwise wouldn’t.

I gave up debating around 20 years ago when I saw what it was doing to me and to others - hardening our hearts.

Amen.