Sin Unto Death

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. - 1 John 5:16.

What is the sin unto death?
What is the sin not into death?
What is the sin unto death, that we should not pray for it?

All sin is unrighteousness:
There is a sin that is not unto death! and a sin unto death!

We know that he that is born of God does not commit sin; but he that is begotten of God keepth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. Doesn't that sound like a life that would be a joy to live.

Please share your understanding of that sin unto death. And the sin that is not unto death!

19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. - 1 John 5:19-20.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 5:16 - If anyone sees his brother [believer] committing a sin that does not [lead to] death (the extinguishing of life), he will pray and [God] will give him life [yes, He will grant life to all those whose sin is not one leading to death]. There is a sin [that leads] to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin which does not [involve] death [that may be repented of and forgiven]. 18 We know [absolutely] that anyone born of God does not [deliberately and knowingly] practice committing sin, but the One Who was begotten of God carefully watches over and protects him [Christ’s divine presence within him preserves him against the evil], and the wicked one does not lay hold (get a grip) on him or touch [him]. (AMPC)

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Danthemailman, those guided by God willfully committed sin!
18 We know [absolutely] that anyone born of God does not [deliberately and knowingly] practice committing sin,

Peter was born of God baptized with the Holy Spirit and willfully sinned against God,
Galatians 2:11-14.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Peter was born of God baptized with the Holy Spirit and willfully sinned against God, Galatians 2:11-14.
To "sin willfully" carries the idea of deliberate intention that is habitual, which stems from rejecting Christ deliberately. This is continuous action, a matter of practice.

Now we don't walk along our daily life and "accidentally" fall into a pit called sin. We exercise our will but, the use of the participle clearly shows willful, continuous action. One's lifestyle or bent of life, which does not describe Peter’s temporary, weak moment in Galatians 2:11-14.

The unrighteous practice sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21); not the righteous, who are born of God. (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 3:9)

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We know happens.. but what is it. Do you have anything on what it is?

Peter was born of God baptized with the Holy Spirit and willfully sinned against God,
Galatians 2:11-14.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To "sin willfully" carries the idea of deliberate intention that is habitual, which stems from rejecting Christ deliberately. This is continuous action, a matter of practice.

Now we don't walk along our daily life and "accidentally" fall into a pit called sin. We exercise our will but, the use of the participle clearly shows willful, continuous action. One's lifestyle or bent of life, which does not describe Peter’s temporary, weak moment in Galatians 2:11-14.

The unrighteous practice sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21); not the righteous, who are born of God. (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 3:9)

Peter sinned by his own will. No one made, forced Peter to sin.
That is willful sin.

Saved Christians do sin willfully. Therefore at times the righteous do practise sin.
Therefore your belief that the righteous do not practise sin is false.

Hebrews 3:12
Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;
-13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called Today, lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
-14 For we have become PARTAKERS of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence, steadfast to the end.

Reactions: soul man

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter sinned by his own will. No one made, forced Peter to sin.
That is willful sin.

Saved Christians do sin willfully. Therefore at times the righteous do practise sin.
Therefore your belief that the righteous do not practise sin is false.

That explains the hardened heart. It took them in the opposite direction of God. Heard the truth for a time, but then hardened heart and departing from God became their final answer.

Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;
-13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called Today, lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
-14 For we have become PARTAKERS of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence, steadfast to the end.
According to your logic everyone ‘practices’ sin and is going to hell, contrary to 1 John 3:9. (NASB)

Hebrews 3:8 - Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, in the day of trial in the wilderness, 9 Where your fathers tested Me, tried Me, And saw My works forty years. 10 Therefore I was angry with that generation, And said, 'They always go astray in their heart, And
they have not known My ways. *Not descriptive of genuine believers. There is no loss of salvation here. Only a failure to receive it. Verses 18-19 - And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews 3:14 - For we have become [past tense Gk. verb, gegonamen, meaning we have become already] partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end. Notice that this is essentially a repeat of verse 6, where we read: but Christ was faithful as a Son over His house - whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end. The wording is not - "and you will become (future indicative) partakers of Christ if you (future indicative) hold fast." It is rather - "you have been, and now are, partakers of Christ (demonstrative evidence) if in the future you hold fast."

The point is that not all of these Hebrews have become partakers of Christ and of course, the only ones in the end who will be identified as genuine believers/partakers of Christ will have been those who held fast the beginning of their confidence steadfast to the end. Those faltering Hebrews who depart from God may begin with loud confidence and profession of loyalty. But then later? Future perseverance is proof of genuine conversion.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to your logic everyone ‘practices’ sin and is going to hell, contrary to 1 John 3:9. (NASB)

No, I don't reason this way!

The righteous who practise sin are in sin until according to apostle John they do what?
The righteous can become unrighteous if they continue in sin.

1John 1:8-9
If we say that we have no sin, we lie and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins(repentance) He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John is speaking to righteous Christians.
Clearly he teaches a righteous Christian who sins is unrighteous until he repents of his sins.
Them God cleanses him of his sins by the shed blood and God makes the Christian righteous once more!

Hebrews 3:14 - For we have become [past tense Gk. verb, gegonamen, meaning we have become already] partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end.

Amen! I agree these Jews are already PARTAKERS in Christ ie saved righteous christians!

Now what does the author of Hebrews warn these Jewish followers of Christ about their walk as a follower of Christ?

Beware, brethren lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God

These christians can become unbelievers if they do what?
Answer practice the deceitfulness of sin!
This proves my position that righteous christians can willfully practice sin.
This is why they are warned to, -14 ....if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end.

Verse 15 teaches christians can harden their hearts against God,
Hebrews 3:15

Hebrews 3:14 - For we have become [past tense Gk. verb, gegonamen, meaning we have become already] partakers of Christ,

These are true Christians. The verse clearly teaches they have already become PARTAKERS in Christ.
No lost person have become PARTAKERS in Christ.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. - 1 John 5:16.

What is the sin unto death?
What is the sin not into death?
What is the sin unto death, that we should not pray for it?

All sin is unrighteousness:
There is a sin that is not unto death! and a sin unto death!

We know that he that is born of God does not commit sin; but he that is begotten of God keepth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. Doesn't that sound like a life that would be a joy to live.

Please share your understanding of that sin unto death. And the sin that is not unto death!

19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. - 1 John 5:19-20.

Consider
2 Corinthians 7:8-10 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. [9] Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. [10] For godly sorrow works repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world works death.

Tecarta Bible

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I don't reason this way!

The righteous who practise sin are in sin until according to apostle John they do what?
The righteous can become unrighteous if they continue in sin.

1John 1:8-9
If we say that we have no sin, we lie and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins (repentance) He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John is speaking to righteous Christians.
Clearly he teaches a righteous Christian who sins is unrighteous until he repents of his sins.
Them God cleanses him of his sins by the shed blood and God makes the Christian righteous once more!
No that is not what John is teaching. Notice that 1 John 1:9 - "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" is IN CONTRAST WITH - "If we say that we have no sin (present tense) we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (vs. 8) and "If we say that we have not sinned (past tense), we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us" (vs. 10).

The former are Christians and the latter are not. Some people misunderstand verse 9 to mean that we "must confess each and every sin that we commit as we commit them" (keep a specific inventory) as an "additional requirement" to "remain cleansed and saved" and "if we forget a sin we are toast!"

Believers speak the same/acknowledge/agree with God's perspective about their sins and have a settled recognition and acknowledgment that one is a sinner in need of cleansing and forgiveness.

Amen! I agree these Jews are already PARTAKERS in Christ ie saved righteous christians!
Continuance is the demonstrative evidence of having become partakers of Christ. Those who fail to continue demonstrate otherwise.

Now what does the author of Hebrews warn these Jewish followers of Christ about their walk as a follower of Christ?

Beware, brethren lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God

These christians can become unbelievers if they do what?
Answer practice the deceitfulness of sin!
This proves my position that righteous christians can willfully practice sin.
This is why they are warned to, -14 ....if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end.

Verse 15 teaches christians can harden their hearts against God,
Hebrews 3:15

These are true Christians. The verse clearly teaches they have already become PARTAKERS in Christ.
No lost person have become PARTAKERS in Christ.
I already explained this to you in my previous post but what I explained must have went right over your head.

In Hebrews 4:1-2, we read - "For indeed the gospel was preached to US as well as to THEM; but the word which THEY heard did not profit THEM, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest," although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. Obviously, not all of these Hebrews were believers.

*Notice that verses 2-3 make a distinction between US who have BELIEVED and do enter that rest and THEM who heard the word but did not mix faith with what they heard and will not enter that rest because of UNBELIEF.

Your position has not been proved.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No that is not what John is teaching. Notice that 1 John 1:9 - "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" is IN CONTRAST WITH - "If we say that we have no sin (present tense) we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (vs. 8) and "If we say that we have not sinned (past tense), we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us" (vs. 10).

The former are Christians and the latter are not. Some people misunderstand verse 9 to mean that we "must confess each and every sin that we commit as we commit them" (keep a specific inventory) as an "additional requirement" to "remain cleansed and saved" and "if we forget a sin we are toast!"

Believers speak the same/acknowledge/agree with God's perspective about their sins and have a settled recognition and acknowledgment that one is a sinner in need of cleansing and forgiveness.

Continuance is the demonstrative evidence of having become partakers of Christ. Those who fail to continue demonstrate otherwise.

I already explained this to you in my previous post but what I explained must have went right over your head.

In Hebrews 4:1-2, we read - "For indeed the gospel was preached to US as well as to THEM; but the word which THEY heard did not profit THEM, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest," although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. Obviously, not all of these Hebrews were believers.

*Notice that verses 2-3 make a distinction between US who have BELIEVED and do enter that rest and THEM who heard the word but did not mix faith with what they heard and will not enter that rest because of UNBELIEF.

Your position has not been proved.

This is the mental gymnastics you have to go through to hold to your false belief that christians don't repent or fall away to apostasy.

John is teaching christians in 1John not the lost.
You need to make up your double mind, mind!
First you teach the righteous do not sin here,

Now you say they do here,

I guess now you believe the righteous do sin! Love you Danthemailman but for crying out loud!

-he is a double minded man unstable in all his ways James 1:8

Your explanation of Hebrews 3:12 is too hard to swallow!

Those who fail to continue were never saved according to your interpretation.

You just taught without works of obedience a person is not truly saved.
You base salvation on a Christian's true faith as a working faith till the end.
You just contradicted your whole position on saved without works ever!

Back to Hebrews 3.

Beware brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God
Did you not notice they are IN CHRIST?

The lost cannot depart from Jesus Christ!
They were never a part of Christ!

Only the saved IN Christ can depart from Christ!

Your error has caused verses that you are intelligent enough to understand to be under a strong delusion.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the mental gymnastics you have to go through to hold to your false belief that christians don't repent or fall away to apostasy.

I guess now you believe the righteous do sin! Love you Danthemailman but for crying out loud!

Back to Hebrews 3.

Beware brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God

Your error has caused verses that you are intelligent enough to understand to be under a strong delusion.
Are you a Roman Catholic?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as the north is from the south.
What catholic doctrine are you accusing me of?
Was just curious. I run into a lot of Catholics on here who teach salvation by works and strongly oppose eternal security of the believer. By the way, where do you attend church?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The death spoken of here is physical death, and it is the premature death of a believer who persists in sinning. Just like Ananias and Sapphira died for lying to the Holy Spirit, Christians are warned to (1) not walk after the flesh, and (2) that there are severe consequences for disobedience. But this death does not lead to damnation, since it is the severest form of God's chastening. In view of this Christians must always examine themselves, confess their sins, and repent.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Back to Hebrews 3.

Unfortunately, I see the truth that I explained to you in Hebrews 3:12-14 and Hebrews 4:1-2 is too hard for you to swallow. Not all of the Jews who came out of Egypt were saved. Jude 1:5 - Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. Don’t be so naive.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I see the truth that I explained to you in Hebrews 3:12-14 and Hebrews 4:1-2 is too hard for you to swallow. Not all of the Jews who came out of Egypt were saved. Jude 1:5 - Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. Don’t be so naive.

What you just told me has no parallel to the christian Jews in the book of Hebrews.
Hebrews is written to the Jews that converted to Christ.
Therefore the book of Hebrews is speaking to christians not Jews that are still following the old law.

Hebrews 2:1
Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard ,lest we drift away.

Are the lost close to God?
Or are they separated from God?
Isaiah 59:2
But your sins have seperated you from God; and your sons have hidden His face from you,

Those who are saved have there sins taken away by the blood of Christ.
Are christians In, with, near God?
Ephesians 2:13
But now In Christ Jesus you who once were afar off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Now that the scriptures have established those who are partakers of Christ are must be IN Christ, near Christ etc.
The only logical conclusion is those who are lost are seperated from Christ.

Are the lost near?

Can the lost drift away Hebrews 2:1? Or are they already afar off?

Those who have become partakers of Christ are already IN Christ.
Are the lost IN Christ? Do the lost partake of Christ?

It is impossible to leave grow cold, fall out of love with a wife you were never married to!
You can only drift away from a wife that you have been once close to!

Beware brethren(Christian brethren) lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God.

Hebrews 3:14
For we(christians) have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast till the end,

Your interpretation says some are christians some never were saved.
Impossible friend!
The lost have never been with Christ. They are already seperated from God.
Only those who were once with Christ can be partakers of Christ.

Your interpretation is error.
You have to make ridiculous exegesis/eisgesis to support your OSAS, church doctrine.

Fact: saved christians do sin willfully. And some even fall away to once again be lost for eternity,
Hebrews 10:26-31;32

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As MMD said.

Sin unto death would be a sin which one commits. which leads to a persons death.

A good example would be someone who is drinking, and had to much, then get behind a wheel.

If crash the vehicle they are driving and die, they have sinned unto death.

If they do not. We should pray they did not commit the sin unto death and Pray for their healing

Reactions: mailmandan

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As MMD said.

Sin unto death would be a sin which one commits. which leads to a persons death.

A good example would be someone who is drinking, and had to much, then get behind a wheel.

If crash the vehicle they are driving and die, they have sinned unto death.

If they do not. We should pray they did not commit the sin unto death and Pray for their healing
No Sir!
Death in the Bible means seperation!
You can be physically living and DIE spiritually.

Did Adam and Eve die?
God told them they would if they ate of the tree He forbade.

Yes! They did die!
How? They were seperated from God,

Reactions: marks

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you just told me has no parallel to the christian Jews in the book of Hebrews.
Hebrews is written to the Jews that converted to Christ.
Therefore the book of Hebrews is speaking to christians not Jews that are still following the old law.

Hebrews 2:1
Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard ,lest we drift away.

Are the lost close to God?
Or are they separated from God?
But your sins have seperated you from God; and your sons have hidden His face from you,

Those who are saved have there sins taken away by the blood of Christ.
Are christians In, with, near God?
Ephesians 2:13
But now In Christ Jesus you who once were afar off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Now that the scriptures have established those who are partakers of Christ are must be IN Christ, near Christ etc.
The only logical conclusion is those who are lost are seperated from Christ.

Are the lost near?

Can the lost drift away Hebrews 2:1? Or are they already afar off?

Those who have become partakers of Christ are already IN Christ.
Are the lost IN Christ? Do the lost partake of Christ?

It is impossible to leave grow cold, fall out of love with a wife you were never married to!
You can only drift away from a wife that you have been once close to!

Beware brethren(Christian brethren) lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God.

Hebrews 3:14
For we(christians) have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast till the end,

Your interpretation says some are christians some never were saved.
Impossible friend!
The lost have never been with Christ. They are already seperated from God.
Only those who were once with Christ can be partakers of Christ.

Your interpretation is error.
You have to make ridiculous exegesis/eisgesis to support your OSAS, church doctrine.

Fact: saved christians do sin willfully. And some even fall away to once again be lost for eternity,
Hebrews 10:26-31;32
Once again, Hebrews 3:14 - For we have become [past tense Gk. verb, gegonamen, meaning we have become already] partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end. Notice that this is essentially a repeat of verse 6, where we have read: but Christ was faithful as a Son over His house - whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end.

*The wording is not - "and you will become partakers of Christ (future indicative) if you (future indicative) you hold fast." It is rather - "you have been and now are partakers of Christ, (demonstrative evidence) if in the future you hold fast."

In Hebrews 4:1-2, we read - "For indeed the gospel was preached to US as well as to THEM; but the word which THEY heard did not profit THEM, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest," although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. Obviously, not all of these Hebrews were believers. Notice that verses 2-3 make a distinction between US who have BELIEVED and do enter that rest and THEM who heard the word but did not mix faith with what they heard and will not enter that rest because of UNBELIEF. Allow that to sink in,

You can depart from God, but not be “of” God. In 1 John 2:19, we read they went out from us, but they were not “of” us.. Get the picture?

In regards to Hebrews 10:26, To "sin willfully" in the Greek carries the idea of deliberate intention that is habitual, which stems from rejecting Christ deliberately. This is continuous action, a matter of practice. Now we don't walk along our daily life and "accidentally" fall into a pit called sin. We exercise our will but, the use of the participle clearly shows continuous, willful, action. One's lifestyle or bent of life. The unrighteous practice sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21); not the righteous, who are born of God. (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 3:9)

If the word 'sanctified' in Hebrews 10:29 is used to describe saved people who lost their salvation, then we have a contradiction because the writer of Hebrews in verse 10 said "sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all" (Hebrews 10:10) and in verse 14, we read, "perfected for all time those who are sanctified." (Hebrews 10:14) So in Hebrews 10:10, we clearly read ..WE have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. In Hebrews 10:14, we read - For by one offering He has perfected for all time THOSE who are sanctified. To go from sanctified back to un-sanctified would be in contradiction here.

*NOWHERE in the context does it specifically say the person who "trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant" was "saved" and/or "lost their salvation." The reference to "the blood of the covenant that sanctified him" in verse 29 "on the surface" appears to be referring to a Christian, but this overlooks the fact that the word translated "sanctified" (which is the verb form of the adjective "holy") which means "set apart," and doesn't necessarily refer to salvation.

Strong's Concordance

hagiazó: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify

Original Word: ἁγιάζω

Part of Speech: Verb

Transliteration: hagiazó

Phonetic Spelling: (hag-ee-ad'-zo)

Definition: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify

Usage: I make holy, treat as holy, set apart as holy, sanctify, hallow, purify.

*In 1 Corinthians 7:14, Paul uses it to specifically refer to non-Christians who are "sanctified" or "set apart" by their believing spouse. (And by this Paul does not mean that they are saved). A non-Christian can be "set apart" from other non-Christians without experiencing salvation as Paul explained. So the word "sanctified" means to be "set apart." If the word "sanctified" simply meant saved, then you would have to say that the seventh day was saved (Genesis 2:3), the tabernacle was saved (Exodus 29:43), Moses saved the people after coming down off the mountain (Exodus 19:14), the priests and the Levites saved themselves (1 Chronicles 15:14), the Father saved the Son (John 10:36), the Son saved Himself (John 17:19) and many other things that do not line up with scripture.

In verse 39, the writer of Hebrews sets up the CONTRAST that makes it clear to me that he was referring to make believers/nominal Christians, not saved people: But WE are not of those who draw back to perdition, but OF THOSE who believe to the saving of the soul. Those who draw back to perdition do not believe to the saving of the soul and those who believe to the saving of the soul do not draw back to perdition.

So after considering the CONTEXT, it seems most likely that "he was sanctified" should be understood in the sense of someone who had been "set apart" or identified as a professing believer in the Hebrew Christian community of believers, but later renounces his identification with other believers, by rejecting the "knowledge of the truth" that he had received, and trampling under foot the work and the person of Christ himself. This gives evidence that his identification with the Hebrew Christian community of believers was only superficial and that he was not a genuine believer.