Spiritual Growth or Spiritual Stagnation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture refers to growing into a deeper knowledge of God by 1) the Holy Spirit who will teach us and 2) walking in the spirit and not in the flesh.

John 16:12-13
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. (because precept upon precept and line upon line must take place)
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

1 Corinthians 3
Divisiveness And Immaturity

1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, 3 for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?

Paul is explaining the evidence of their spiritual state by their jealousy and strife saying they are still fleshly....
Scripture backs this up...

Galations 15:16-26
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Isaiah 28:9
9Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Saints we are prolonging the Church that God is raising up if we stay on the milk and do not seek to learn the deeper things of God....

Ephesians 4:12 Context
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

He who has ears hear what the Spirit of the Lord has to say...
Do you feel like your just not satisfied anymore....that you seek to learn more, that there has to be more than what you have been taught and are now skilled in? Good this is the Holy Spirit drawing you to hunger for more...….more of wisdom, knowledge, understanding, to have your eyes opened to see in the spiritual realm...into God's Kingdom....Then blessed are you for you are seeking Him and you shall find Him but it requires walking in the spirit not the flesh.....to be spiritual minded not carnal minded....to receive by faith the things the Spirit of Truth is leading you to.

Anyone here operate in any gifts of the Holy Spirit or desire to? Corinthians is the book that teaches this.
So I invite everyone to pray and seek God in this matter and to consider moving into a new level of Truth and learn to walk in Power by the Holy Spirit....It is time to equip the saints who are ready, willing and able to experience a deeper walk with God.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Scripture refers to growing into a deeper knowledge of God by 1) the Holy Spirit who will teach us and 2) walking in the spirit and not in the flesh.

John 3:16
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. (because precept upon precept and line upon line must take place)
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

1 Corinthians 3

1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, 3 for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?

Paul is explaining the evidence of their spiritual state by their jealousy and strife saying they are still fleshly....

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

9Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Saints we are prolonging the Church that God is raising up if we stay on the milk and do not seek to learn the deeper things of God....

9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Do you feel like your just not satisfied anymore....that you seek to learn more, that there has to be more than what you have been taught and are now skilled in? Good this is the Holy Spirit drawing you to hunger for more...….more of wisdom, knowledge, understanding, to have your eyes opened to see in the spiritual realm...into God's Kingdom....Then blessed are you for you are seeking Him and you shall find Him but it requires walking in the spirit not the flesh.....to be spiritual minded not carnal minded....to receive by faith the things the Spirit of Truth is leading you to.

Anyone here operate in any gifts of the Holy Spirit or desire to? Corinthians is the book that teaches this.
So I invite everyone to pray and seek God in this matter and to consider moving into a new level of Truth and learn to walk in Power by the Holy Spirit....It is time to equip the saints who are ready, willing and able to experience a deeper walk with God.

A good word!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Corinthians 3

Good post H2S,
Yes, yes, yes! We should crave to seek His face in all things. I don't think we will EVER stop learning when we are open to His truth as we allow the Holy Spirits teaching and guiding us. He is a rewarder to those who diligently seek Him. I for one am NEVER satisfied in knowing Him and His ways-that He allows me to know. Be it done unto us according to our faith :) ...when I ask Him for opportunities to exercise and build my faith in order to grow more and more, He NEVER has a shortage lol.
Lot's of stuff to ponder above and I pray that your growth will continue in leaps and bounds! ♥

Reactions: Heart2Soul

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Corinthians 3

I believe you meant John 16:12-13 rather that John 3:16 in your OP....

Yes, of course spiritual growth is the drive with the faith I have today. It was not always this way. The spirit required a 'clean-up' period before I went from 'milk' to 'meat.' I was one that got through the easy classes in flying colours, and then when I began walking with 'my faith' I fell many times. I suddenly learned to lean on the spirit to grow and gain more faith.

The gifts you speak of and in scripture I believe I gained over time. Of understanding and knowledge and discernment. They have become more prevalent in my life. The spirit only brings to my heart and mind what and when it is necessary...It has guided me in what I consider a clearer path in the understanding and knowledge of our Lord and Father in heaven.

Bless you,

APAK

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you meant John 16:12-13 rather that John 3:16 in your OP....

Yes, of course spiritual growth is the drive with the faith I have today. It was not always this way. The spirit required a 'clean-up' period before I went from 'milk' to 'meat.' I was one that got through the easy classes in flying colours, and then when I began walking with 'my faith' I fell many times. I suddenly learned to lean on the spirit to grow and gain more faith.

The gifts you speak of and in scripture I believe I gained over time. Of understanding and knowledge and discernment. They have become more prevalent in my life. The spirit only brings to my heart and mind what and when it is necessary...It has guided me in what I consider a clearer path in the understanding and knowledge of our Lord and Father in heaven.

Bless you,

APAK
OHHHH yes, temporary dyslexia I guess...lol. THANK YOU for correcting me. God Bless!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@APAK your testimony of the gifts the Holy Spirit has given you blesses me! Thank you for sharing it and I will pray in agreement that you grow even stronger in these gifts.

God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 16:12-13

1 Corinthians 3

Hi Heart

What I love about the Spirit is that He changes us right away. Look at the Corinthians. Some of them were actually homosexuals and worshipers of a pagan religion, and were completely delivered! Yes, they still were immature, but the Spirit killed their biggest sins. They also had a heart that was humble and could be corrected. When you get to the second book, we see they had obeyed Paul's correction.

How many of us can say the same. Say, someone corrects someone on a forum. Hackles flair and stubbornness sets in. We could all take a lesson from the heart of the Corinthians. But, no, most like to use the Corinthians as a scapegoat, when in reality they overcame more than most of us will ever have to deal with - and succeeded! I love the Corinthians.

They also came short in no gift! There again, how many of us can say the same. This is the age of Laodecia. The "normal" church in this age is lukewarm. We want the preacher to teach us the word, while our own Bibles gather dust. We don't care about the gifts of the Spirit, even though we should be clearing out hospitals, and raising the dead like the apostles, but also John G. Lake and Smith Wigglesworth. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Amen!

17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post H2S,
Yes, yes, yes! We should crave to seek His face in all things. I don't think we will EVER stop learning when we are open to His truth as we allow the Holy Spirits teaching and guiding us. He is a rewarder to those who diligently seek Him. I for one am NEVER satisfied in knowing Him and His ways-that He allows me to know. Be it done unto us according to our faith :) ...when I ask Him for opportunities to exercise and build my faith in order to grow more and more, He NEVER has a shortage lol.
Lot's of stuff to ponder above and I pray that your growth will continue in leaps and bounds! ♥
Thank you for your prayers for growth! It is what I seek continually!:)
For His Glory!
God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Heart

What I love about the Spirit is that He changes us right away. Look at the Corinthians. Some of them were actually homosexuals and worshipers of a pagan religion, and were completely delivered! Yes, they still were immature, but the Spirit killed their biggest sins. They also had a heart that was humble and could be corrected. When you get to the second book, we see they had obeyed Paul's correction.

How many of us can say the same. Say, someone corrects someone on a forum. Hackles flair and stubbornness sets in. We could all take a lesson from the heart of the Corinthians. But, no, most like to use the Corinthians as a scapegoat, when in reality they overcame more than most of us will ever have to deal with - and succeeded! I love the Corinthians.

They also came short in no gift! There again, how many of us can say the same. This is the age of Laodecia. The "normal" church in this age is lukewarm. We want the preacher to teach us the word, while our own Bibles gather dust. We don't care about the gifts of the Spirit, even though we should be clearing out hospitals, and raising the dead like the apostles, but also John G. Lake and Smith Wigglesworth. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Amen!

17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.
Glory to God! This is a good word....thank you for these golden nuggets of wisdom! :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 3

Hindering spiritual growth may be the biggest problem with getting into strife. Instead of focusing on growing in the Lord, the focus becomes what so-and-so said, or how he or she treated us, blah blah blah. It takes our attention off of what is most important. This is essentially the same teaching the Lord gave in referring to the eye as the light of the body. If our spiritual eyesight gets clouded over because we give attention to other things (like money), we will not have light flood our souls. Strife does the same thing, and as Jesus said, if darkness is what fills us instead, how great is that darkness (Matthew 6:23).

I manage to keep from getting distracted by strife and by money concerns. But I must confess that lately I've gotten caught up in the "desire for other things" (Mark 4:19). But I think it has been a time of grace that God has given me for attending to home matters and hobbies, before a period of serious work in the Lord sets in.

Good thread, and always something to remain cognizant of.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hindering spiritual growth may be the biggest problem with getting into strife. Instead of focusing on growing in the Lord, the focus becomes what so-and-so said, or how he or she treated us, blah blah blah. It takes our attention off of what is most important. This is essentially the same teaching the Lord gave in referring to the eye as the light of the body. If our spiritual eyesight gets clouded over because we give attention to other things (like money), we will not have light flood our souls. Strife does the same thing, and as Jesus said, if darkness is what fills us instead, how great is that darkness (Matthew 6:23).

I manage to keep from getting distracted by strife and by money concerns. But I must confess that lately I've gotten caught up in the "desire for other things" (Mark 4:19). But I think it has been a time of grace that God has given me for attending to home matters and hobbies, before a period of serious work in the Lord sets in.

Good thread, and always something to remain cognizant of.
Very good insight into our spiritual eyesight!:) I always enjoy your teaching of any level and that is a true gift and calling! Thank you, HiH...God Bless you!