The Absurdity of Preterism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's pretty bad when people just come up with another 'ism when they don't understand the true meaning of the scriptures.
Unfortunately, as long as there are certain ideas floating around, we will have those "isms". They allow people to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For the Preterists, it seems to say that if we have been given the Holy Spirit now as a "guarantee", that suggests that there is more yet to come.
There is no "more is to come" in Preterism. "All has been fulfilled" is what they claim (without any evidence).

B

brakelite

Futurism is equally absurd for it would have is followers believe that God want aware of the most important 2000 year history of God's people, including the reformation and the apostasy of Rome.
Whereas, Daniel 2 and vision of the statue clearly reveals how prophecy ought to be understood. As do the prophecies in Daniel 7 and 8. Prophecy began to unravel from the moment it was uttered. From Babylon to the second coming. Nothing left out... No gaps.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is no "more is to come" in Preterism. "All has been fulfilled" is what they claim (without any evidence).

Yes, I know that is what full preterist believe. I was pointing out that what the verse says suggests they are in error. At least partial preterists still believe in a future coming of Christ, with the judgement and renewal of all things taking place at that time. I would still find myself disagreeing with a lot the "partial preterists" believe, but I would say that they, unlike full preterist, are still within biblical orthodoxy.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whereas, Daniel 2 and vision of the statue clearly reveals how prophecy ought to be understood.
Yes, and if you wish to use just this criterion, then you need to understand that this is yet to come:

Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces. Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth. (Dan 2:34,35)

That Stone is none other than Christ the Rock, who will come as the King of kings and Lord of lords at His second coming. And His Kingdom has NOT AS YET "filled the whole earth". If that were true there would be ABSOLUTELY no sin and evil in this world.

REVELATION 19
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

B

brakelite

Yes, and if you wish to use just this criterion, then you need to understand that this is yet to come:

Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces. Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth. (Dan 2:34,35)

That Stone is none other than Christ the Rock, who will come as the King of kings and Lord of lords at His second coming. And His Kingdom has NOT AS YET "filled the whole earth". If that were true there would be ABSOLUTELY no sin and evil in this world.

REVELATION 19
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
Agreed. But revelation is the same. The sells and trumpets are symbolic of past events... Leading up to the second coming. The rule of the Antichrist is current... Not future.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The rule of the Antichrist is current... Not future.
If that is true, then every Christian would begetting beheaded (and not by ISIS either).

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. (Rev 20:4)

B

brakelite

If that is true, then every Christian would begetting beheaded (and not by ISIS either).

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. (Rev 20:4)
Okay, perhaps "rule" was too strong a word. But present, certainly... Recovering from his head wound, absolutely. And when fully recovered, that is his former and typical church/state union re-established under legislative coercion, then the heads wiil roll.

Vexatious

Sep 29, 2018
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hahaha...seems there's a 'ism name for everything.

I am not a Preterist, but what then is the 'ism for "slain before the foundation of the world" - Preworldism?

Give Dispies the idea, and they'll insist "slain very soon." Dispies are from the Twilight Zone.

Vexatious

Sep 29, 2018
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The absurdities of Preterism exposed:
In order to see how totally bizarre Preterism is, we simply need to review the events described in the book of Revelation (and the Olivet Discourse) from chapters 6 onwards, and see that none of them has occurred as yet.

the stars of heaven fell unto the earth

Me: Revelation says two or three times that stars mean angels. Revelation says the stars shall fall from heaven. Interpretation: the stars falling from heaven represent an overthrow of the previous order, or a casting down of angels.

Dispie: Youz absurd! When has billions of stars from millions of light-years away fallen to Earth? Billions of suns are going to fall on us very soon, maybe today, and after that happens a trumpet will blast and a third of the Earth will be scorched! I mean soon, not like Revelation when it says soon but doesn't mean soon.

Dispies are from the Twilight Zone.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
or maybe the world anyway, ya. Thankfully God so loved the world, and many people do change i guess
Okay, perhaps "rule" was too strong a word. But present, certainly... Recovering from his head wound, absolutely. And when fully recovered, that is his former and typical church/state union re-established under legislative coercion, then the heads wiil roll.
and it will be figurative then too i guess, although imo you were already right, satan rules the world right now, and those who don't believe that are, have just been including themselves in with the accepted, the winners, rather than leaving the camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"...no lying politicians, no plagues, and no death upon this earth. Only perfect and everlasting righteousness. Since what we see presently on earth is THE EXACT OPPOSITE..."

i mean here it is. I also mean no offense, and even understand, ok, but this eye is completely immersed in the world.
Wadr you do not even know where earth is.
and i removed the quote tag bc you rep many believers i guess, me included sometimes even ok, when i get lost

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
22The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light.
Job 7:7Remember, O God, that my life is but a breath; my eyes will never see happiness again.
47And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into Gehenna

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
earth=erets, world=kosmos
conflate the two at your peril wadr
Not really.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 1093: γῆ (earth)

b. the inhabited earth, the abode of men and animals: Luke 21:35; Acts 1:8;Acts 10:12; Acts 11:6; Acts 17:26;Hebrews 11:13; Revelation 3:10;αἴρειν ζωήν τίνος or τινα ἀπότῆς γῆς, Acts 8:33; Acts 22:22;κληρονομεῖν τήν γῆν (see κληρονομέω, 2), Matthew 5:5 (4);πῦρ βάλλειν ἐπί (Rec. εἰς) τήνγῆν, i. e. among men, Luke 12:49, cf.Luke 12:51 and Matthew 10:34; ἐπίτῆς γῆς among men, Luke 18:8; John 17:4.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Not really.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 1093: γῆ (earth)

b. the inhabited earth, the abode of men and animals: Luke 21:35; Acts 1:8;Acts 10:12; Acts 11:6; Acts 17:26;Hebrews 11:13; Revelation 3:10;αἴρειν ζωήν τίνος or τινα ἀπότῆς γῆς, Acts 8:33; Acts 22:22;κληρονομεῖν τήν γῆν (see κληρονομέω, 2), Matthew 5:5 (4);πῦρ βάλλειν ἐπί (Rec. εἰς) τήνγῆν, i. e. among men, Luke 12:49, cf.Luke 12:51 and Matthew 10:34; ἐπίτῆς γῆς among men, Luke 18:8; John 17:4.
yes, there is some overlap certainly, if you want to make them = then go ahead

Vexatious

Sep 29, 2018
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I like it...but what are "Dispies?"

It's a pain to keep tying out Dispensationalists. It also doesn't help that a lot of people might not recognize that word. What recognizable word can I say to refer to the Antichrist doctrine that those of their Satan are God's chosen people, that God there is salvation in rejecting Jesus and becoming a "Jew"?

Vexatious

Sep 29, 2018
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
earth=erets, world=kosmos
conflate the two at your peril wadr

There's nothing more sad than a "Fundamentalist" who doesn't believe the Bible because he doesn't understand what the Bible literally says (or maybe dispies are predestined to error, because they refuse correction). There's nothing more sad because their ignorance is hurting the church and leading to people being killed (especially in the middle-east).

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte