THE DAY OF THE LORD

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scriptures point out that there is no connection between the fulfillmnent of Mal. 4:5-6 and John the Baptist. The scriptures merely pointed out the John had the same effect as Elijah and that Elijah will have the same effect as John when he is sent back as one of the two witnesses after the Antichrist and the False Prophet capture Jerusalem and set up the abomination of desolation.
Mal 4:5 “Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD. 6 “And he will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse.”

I seem to have totally misunderstood your initial post.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will go by what scripture tells us regarding the fulfillment of Malachi 4:5-6.

Malachi 4:5 “Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD. 6 “And he will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse.”

Luke 1:13 But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. 14 And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. 15 For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. 16 And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

The angel who spoke to John the Baptist's father Zechariah referenced Malachi 4:5-6 and applied it to John the Baptist. So, that is what I will do as well.

Exactly! And John did restore the hearts of many people, telling them the Messiah was coming, and baptized them for remission of sin. It seems some don't get it because they hold to a view of ALL national Israel being saved when Christ returns to establish a one thousand year kingdom on this earth.

Reactions: Spiritual Israelite

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I agree that 2 Peter 3:10 is related to Rev 20:11, why do you have 2 Peter 3:10, which is about the day of the Lord that will come as a thief, occurring 1000+ years after Christ's return?

Is that your understanding of this passage as well:

1 Thessalonians 5:1 Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

I think you've pegged him! Seems he's just another in the long line of premillennialists but using another tactic trying to prove the unprovable.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 20:4 is crystal clear: ONLY those martyrs killed for their faith during the 1260 day, or 42 month, or 3 1/2 year time that Satan seizes world control. will be raised back to life by Jesus at His Return.

I reiterate: any other dead people will have to wait until the final Judgment, after the Millennium. Revelation 20:11-15
Including John, Job and David -Acts 13:36
The fact that your thoughts about Rev. 20:4-5 contradict Dan. 12:1 should tell you Rev. 20:4-5 has a different meaning than you attached to it. Dan.12:1 tells us everyone whose name is found written in the Book of Life are raised up in the Rev. 19:7 resurrection after the period of great tribulation, which will include those mentioned in Rev. 20:4-5.
Dan. 12:1 “Now at that time Michael, the great prince who stands guard over the sons of your people, will arise. And there will be a time of distress such as never occurred since there was a nation until that time; and at that time your people, everyone who is found written in the book, will be rescued.
Rev. 19:1 tells us the resurrection occurs after Babylon the great is judged.
Rev. 19:1 After these things I heard, as it were, a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying, “ Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God; 2 BECAUSE HIS JUDGMENTS ARE TRUE AND RIGHTEOUS; for He has judged the great harlot who was corrupting the earth with her immorality, and HE HAS AVENGED THE BLOOD OF HIS BOND-SERVANTS ON HER.”
Rev. 19:7 tells us the resurrection takes place immediately after Babylon the great is judged.
Rev 19:7 “Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready.” 8 And it was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. 9 And he said to me, “ Write, ‘ Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.’” And he said to me, “ These are true words of God.”
Rev. 19:9 tells us we believers go to the wedding feast when the resurrection takes place.
Rev. 19:9 And he said to me, “ Write, ‘ Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.’”
Rev. 19:11 tells us we return with Jesus after the wedding feast.
Rev. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened; and behold, a white horse, and He who sat upon it is called Faithful and True; and in righteousness He judges and wages war.
Rev. 19:19-21 tells Armageddon takes place.
Rev. 19:19 And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies, assembled to make war against Him who sat upon the horse, and against His army. 20 And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with brimstone. 21 And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat upon the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.
Rev. 20:4-6 tells the people that fit the criteria found in this verse will judge the unsaved during the 1000 year reign. Verse six reiterates Dan 12:1. The dreams I read about what they are going to do the Christians during the time of the Antichrist certainly supports that they deserve this special privilege.
Rev. 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of the testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But John did not tell them he was the one the angel foretells his father, Zachariah, would come in the SPIRIT of Elijah. That is how the prophesy was fulfilled, John-the-Baptist was not Elijah returning from the dead. John was however in the power and spirit of Elijah because he was filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother's womb.
If you read my original post you will see that I also covered why Jesus said Elijah had already come. But your point about John being filled with the Holy Spirit in the womb is also a good way to convey this.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I too believe the Day of the Lord both foretold of old would come, and foretold would come to an end or last Day of the Lord, began with the advent of Christ coming to earth a man. Most don't understand the Day of the Lord includes all that is written of the Lord because they think the Day of the lord is only one day when He returns in glory.

The great and notable/terrible Day of the Lord began when Christ was born and the first epic event we read occurring then was the war in heaven between Michael and His messengers (heavenly angels) and the dragon and his messengers (demon spirits) waging war with the dragon and his demonic spiritual hosts being cast out of heaven to the earth. (see Rev 12:7-9)

The power of Christ coming in His Day wasn't fully known until Pentecost when the Day of the Lord came with great power that was revealed through signs and wonders. Peter says the days that would come after the outpouring of the Spirit was in fact fulfillment of the words of the prophet, Joel. In chapter 2 of Joel he writes "for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand."

Acts 2:16-21 (KJV) But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

I agree the Day of the Lord began with the advent of Christ coming to this earth, and His Day in this age shall end when He comes again on the last Day of the Lord.
According to Mal 4:5-6 Elijah is sent back before the great and terrible day of the Lord. From Rev 11 we know that the two witnesses will appear during the great tribulation period. From this we can conclude that the day of the Lord begins after the great tribulation period.

Mal 4:5-6 "Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD. 6 "And he will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse.”

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you read my original post you will see that I also covered why Jesus said Elijah had already come. But your point about John being filled with the Holy Spirit in the womb is also a good way to convey this.

Yes, I agreed with your original post, and thought we were like minded until I read through the rest of your replies. John-the-Baptist is fulfillment of Elijah that was to come. Elijah will not be coming a second time.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John-the-Baptist being filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother's womb was indeed fulfillment of coming in the Spirit and power of Elijah. John's birth further proves the Day of the Lord began when Christ came to earth a man.
John the Baptist's ministry was not the fulfillment of Mal 4:5-6.
Mal 4:5-6 "Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD. 6 "And he will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse.”
The two witnesses, which includes Elijah and Zerubbabel, begin prophesying during the period of great tribulation, which according to Matt 24 begins when the Antichrist and the false prophet set up the abomination of desolation.
Matt. 24:15 “Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place ( let the reader understand), 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains; 17 let him who is on the housetop not go down to get the things out that are in his house; 18 and let him who is in the field not turn back to get his cloak. 19 “But woe to those who are with child and to those who nurse babes in those days! 20 “But pray that your flight may not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath; 21 for then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever shall.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Mal 4:5-6 Elijah is sent back before the great and terrible day of the Lord. From Rev 11 we know that the two witnesses will appear during the great tribulation period. From this we can conclude that the day of the Lord begins after the great tribulation period.

Elijah is not being sent back before the great and terrible Day of the Lord. The same Spirit that was in Elijah was also in John, and that's how John-the-Baptist fulfills this prophesy. This was supernatural because the Holy Spirit would not be IN man, as He was in both Elijah and John, until Christ ascended back to heaven after His resurrection and sent Him to His disciples.

John 14:17 (KJV) Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

This supernatural birth of John having the Spirit in him is proof of prophetic fulfillment of John being the one to come (Elijah) before the Lord would come in His great and terrible Day.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But John did not tell them he was the one the angel foretells his father, Zachariah, would come in the SPIRIT of Elijah. That is how the prophesy was fulfilled, John-the-Baptist was not Elijah returning from the dead. John was however in the power and spirit of Elijah because he was filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother's womb.
The angel did not foretell that John would come in the spirit of Elijah.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John the Baptist's ministry was not the fulfillment of Mal 4:5-6.
The two witnesses, which includes Elijah and Zerubbabel, begin prophesying during the period of great tribulation, which according to Matt 24 begins when the Antichrist and the false prophet set up the abomination of desolation.
Matt. 24:15 “Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place ( let the reader understand), 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains; 17 let him who is on the housetop not go down to get the things out that are in his house; 18 and let him who is in the field not turn back to get his cloak. 19 “But woe to those who are with child and to those who nurse babes in those days! 20 “But pray that your flight may not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath; 21 for then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever shall.

John-the-Baptist most assuredly did turn the hearts of many, which is why they went to be baptized in repentance for sin. You have not properly discerned who the two witnesses of Rev 11 are. John was most assuredly among them. But if I go into detail of how to identify the two, the thread will be turned into another topic. So all I will say is that the 'two witnesses' are not two but in fact equate to "two olive trees and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth."

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Elijah is not being sent back before the great and terrible Day of the Lord. The same Spirit that was in Elijah was also in John, and that's how John-the-Baptist fulfills this prophesy. This was supernatural because the Holy Spirit would not be IN man, as He was in both Elijah and John, until Christ ascended back to heaven after His resurrection and sent Him to His disciples.

John 14:17 (KJV) Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

This supernatural birth of John having the Spirit in him is proof of prophetic fulfillment of John being the one to come (Elijah) before the Lord would come in His great and terrible Day.
You openly contradicted Mal 4:5-6 which states Elijah is going to be sent back before the great and terrible day of the Lord.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The angel did not foretell that John would come in the spirit of Elijah.

Hear what the angel tells Zecharias below:

Luke 1:13-17 (KJV) But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God. And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You openly contradicted Mal 4:5-6 which states Elijah is going to be sent back before the great and terrible day of the Lord.

That great and terrible Day of the Lord came when Christ came to earth, born a man. Both great, because many will be turned from darkness to light, and terrible because the Day of the Lord shall end with the wrath of God being poured out upon the earth, and the GWTJ to follow.

Read Malachi in context and we discover the Day of the Lord coming shall be both a blessing for those who hear the Gospel and believe, and also great wrath and judgment for all who remain in unbelief. The Day of the Lord coming is the whole Gospel age of grace.

Malachi 4:1-6 (KJV) For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts. Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments. Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John-the-Baptist most assuredly did turn the hearts of many, which is why they went to be baptized in repentance for sin. You have not properly discerned who the two witnesses of Rev 11 are. John was most assuredly among them. But if I go into detail of how to identify the two, the thread will be turned into another topic. So all I will say is that the 'two witnesses' are not two but in fact equate to "two olive trees and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth."
John the Baptist was on the scene before the period of great tribulation began. Rev. 11 tells us the two witnesses prophecy during the period of great tribulation, which Matt 24 tells us begins when the False Prophet sets up the abomination of desolation in Jerusalem. This means Jesus said John walked in the Holy Spirit like Elijah will walk in the Holy Spirit when he returns.
Rev. 11:1 And there was given me a measuring rod like a staff; and someone said, “Rise and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and those who worship in it. 2 “And leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the nations; and they will tread under foot the holy city for forty-two months. 3 “And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.” 4 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.
Zec 4:14 and Rev 11:3-4 point out that Zerubbabel is one of the two witnesses when they both refer to him as one the two olive trees that stand before the Lord.
Zec 4:12-14 And I answered the second time and said to him, "What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?" 13 So he answered me saying, "Do you not know what these are?" And I said, "No, my lord." 14 Then he said, "These are the two anointed ones, who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth."
Rev 11:3-4 "And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth." 4 These are the two olive trees and the two lamp stands that stand before the Lord of the earth.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zec 4:14 and Rev 11:3-4 point out that Zerubbabel is one of the two witnesses when they both refer to him as one the two olive trees that stand before the Lord.
Zec 4:12-14 And I answered the second time and said to him, "What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?" 13 So he answered me saying, "Do you not know what these are?" And I said, "No, my lord." 14 Then he said, "These are the two anointed ones, who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth."
Rev 11:3-4 "And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth." 4 These are the two olive trees and the two lamp stands that stand before the Lord of the earth.

Zech 4:6 tells us that Zerubbabel will be one of the two witnesses when after referring to him as one of the two olive trees beside the lamp stand in Zech 4:3 it states that the deeds described in Zech 4: 7 represent the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel.
Zech. 4:1 Then the angel who was speaking with me returned, and roused me as a man who is awakened from his sleep. 2 And he said to me, “ What do you see?” And I said, “I see, and behold, a lampstand all of gold with its bowl on the top of it, and its seven lamps on it with seven spouts belonging to each of the lamps which are on the top of it; 3 also two olive trees by it, one on the right side of the bowl and the other on its left side.” 4 Then I answered and said to the angel who was speaking with me saying, “What are these, my lord?” 5 So the angel who was speaking with me answered and said to me, “ Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.” 6 Then he answered and said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, ‘ Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the LORD of hosts. 7 ‘What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become a plain; and he will bring forth the top stone with shouts of “Grace, grace to it!”’” 8 Also the word of the LORD came to me saying, 9 “The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house, and his hands will finish it. Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you. 10 “For who has despised the day of small things? But these seven will be glad when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel — these are the eyes of the LORD which range to and fro throughout the earth.” 11 Then I answered and said to him, “What are these two olive trees on the right of the lampstand and on its left?” 12 And I answered the second time and said to him, “What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?” 13 So he answered me saying, “ Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.” 14 Then he said, “These are the two anointed ones, who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth.”

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John the Baptist was on the scene before the period of great tribulation began. Rev. 11 tells us the two witnesses prophecy during the period of great tribulation, which Matt 24 tells us begins when the False Prophet sets up the abomination of desolation in Jerusalem. This means Jesus said John walked in the Holy Spirit like Elijah will walk in the Holy Spirit when he returns.
Rev. 11:1 And there was given me a measuring rod like a staff; and someone said, “Rise and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and those who worship in it. 2 “And leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the nations; and they will tread under foot the holy city for forty-two months. 3 “And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.” 4 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.

I really don't mean to be harsh, but you have not discerned your conclusions FROM Scripture, but have instead read your preconceived opinion INTO Scripture.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That great and terrible Day of the Lord came when Christ came to earth, born a man. Both great, because many will be turned from darkness to light, and terrible because the Day of the Lord shall end with the wrath of God being poured out upon the earth, and the GWTJ to follow.

Read Malachi in context and we discover the Day of the Lord coming shall be both a blessing for those who hear the Gospel and believe, and also great wrath and judgment for all who remain in unbelief. The Day of the Lord coming is the whole Gospel age of grace.

Malachi 4:1-6 (KJV) For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts. Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments. Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.
You blatantly contradicted Ma 4:1-6 which states
Hear what the angel tells Zecharias below:

Luke 1:13-17 (KJV) But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God. And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
Yes he did say that. However, you are claiming Elijah is not going to be sent back, which contradicts Mal 4:5-6, which states Elijah is going to be sent back and the fact that John was on the scene when Jesus said Elijah will be sent back or sometime in the future.
Mal 4:5 “Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD. 6 “And he will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse.”
You claim the day of the Lord began when Jesus became flesh, which contradicts 2Th 2:1-2, in which Paul said had not yet come while he was alive and that it won't come until after the Antichrist seats himself in Jerusalem.
2Th. 2:1 Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and our gathering together to Him, 2 that you may not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God. 5 Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things?

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Zech 4:6 tells us that Zerubbabel will be one of the two witnesses when after referring to him as one of the two olive trees beside the lamp stand in Zech 4:3 it states that the deeds described in Zech 4: 7 represent the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel.
Zech. 4:1 Then the angel who was speaking with me returned, and roused me as a man who is awakened from his sleep. 2 And he said to me, “ What do you see?” And I said, “I see, and behold, a lampstand all of gold with its bowl on the top of it, and its seven lamps on it with seven spouts belonging to each of the lamps which are on the top of it; 3 also two olive trees by it, one on the right side of the bowl and the other on its left side.” 4 Then I answered and said to the angel who was speaking with me saying, “What are these, my lord?” 5 So the angel who was speaking with me answered and said to me, “ Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.” 6 Then he answered and said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, ‘ Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the LORD of hosts. 7 ‘What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become a plain; and he will bring forth the top stone with shouts of “Grace, grace to it!”’” 8 Also the word of the LORD came to me saying, 9 “The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house, and his hands will finish it. Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you. 10 “For who has despised the day of small things? But these seven will be glad when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel — these are the eyes of the LORD which range to and fro throughout the earth.” 11 Then I answered and said to him, “What are these two olive trees on the right of the lampstand and on its left?” 12 And I answered the second time and said to him, “What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?” 13 So he answered me saying, “ Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.” 14 Then he said, “These are the two anointed ones, who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth.”

This passage does NOT say Zerubbabel is one of the two witnesses of Rev 11. It says the two olive trees upon the right of the candlestick are the two anointed ones.

Zechariah 4:11-14 (KJV) Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof? And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves? And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord. Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.

Who and what was anointed in the Holy Temple? What/who is the Temple of Old symbolic of? Was it not the Law and Prophets that foretell the Messiah who would come?

It's much easier to understand the two candlesticks, because Christ tells us through John what they symbolize.

Revelation 1:20 (KJV) The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

The two witnesses of Rev are the Church of the Old Covenant and the New, being sent out with the message of the Messiah/Christ who would come. The message of Old came through the Law & Prophets of Old (two olive trees), and the message of New comes through the Gospel & Holy Spirit (two candlesticks).

Acts 7:38 (KJV) This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes he did say that. However, you are claiming Elijah is not going to be sent back, which contradicts Mal 4:5-6, which states Elijah is going to be sent back and the fact that John was on the scene when Jesus said Elijah will be sent back or sometime in the future.

The prophesy of Elijah that was to come, has already come through Spirit in John-the-Baptist. I cannot find a single verse in Scripture that indicates Elijah will physically come back again.