The Doctrine of Millennialism is destroy by Personal Symbolizing of Scripture.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm pointing out a detail in the text that you treat as though it were something different. Correct understandings will take in every single word in a fully serious manner, and will harmonize with all else in Scripture, without us needed to fudge somewhere else.
What are you even trying to say here? Are you denying that the word "many" doesn't have to mean not all?

Again, Jesus said that many are called, but few are chosen (Matt 22:14). Does that mean He was saying that not all are called? Or was He indicating the number of those who are called, which number as "many" or "a multitude"?

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the sheep of the sheep and goats judgment. And Israel.
The sheep will inherit "eternal life" (Matt 25:46). How do you figure that they will be mortal at that point? Is the kingdom that the sheep will inherit a different kingdom than the one Paul referenced here:

1 Corinthians 15:50 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.

And what do you mean by "Israel"? Again, the sheep inherit eternal life. Will anyone inherit eternal life because of their nationality? Scripture never teaches such a thing.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one knows the day or the hour, and people tend to think it's never going to come. They will be just like in that day, eating, drinking, marrying, until the flood took them all away. They were caught by surprise.

Same thing when Jesus returns.
This has nothing to do with the point I was making about Matthew 24:39. I don't think you read what people are saying very carefully.

Did the flood kill everyone the same day? That's not the point here.
You're right. That's not the point here. So, why even bring it up?

And there is nothing to indicate how long it took to kill everyone in the Deluge, only, we know that the waters increased for 40 days until everything was submerged. I don't think it unreasonable to think some people headed for higher ground, and survived for a while. Until the flood fully covered the earth.
Still not addressing the point....

Jesus wasn't parsing out for us the timeline of people dying, He was comparing the mindset of those in that day, with these in this day. None of them expecting anything, just going on with life.

1 Thessalonians 5:3 KJV
3) For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
And you never did address the point. The point is that just as all unbelievers died in the flood in Noah's day (regardless of how long that took!), Jesus said "That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.". Please address this instead of everything but this.

Also, it's interesting that you brought up 1 Thess 5:3. That is talking about the "sudden destruction" that will accompany the arrival of the day of the Lord, right? The day Christ returns? Do you agree? If so, then what did Peter tell us about the scope of that destruction in 2 Peter 3:10-12?

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked if you've done the study. If you have, you've no need for me to tell you what you already know. If you haven't, I'd suggest that your own look will be worth more to you than my words which you will likely reject. So you should just see it for yourself.
So, can you paraphrase John 5:28-29 for me so that I can see exactly how you interpret it? Is it something like this:

John 5:28 “Do not be amazed at this, for a thousand year time period is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How exactly will the earthly kingdom you believe they will inherit be eternal in light of 2 Peter 3:10-12?
Matthew 25:31-34, 46 KJV
31) When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32) And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33) And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34) Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

( . . . )

46) And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Jesus does not specify whether He speaks of the 1000 years of His reign, whether He speaks of His kingdom as He does with us in

Colossians 1:13 KJV
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

These will likewise enter both this kingdom, receiving eternal life, "the righteous into life eternal". This is when they are born again, entering into eternal life, in the eternal kingdom of Jesus Christ, to live as mortals upon the earth, reborn in that day as we are reborn in this day.

These are those who will live on the earth under the rule of Jesus, to populate the nations as Jesus rules from Jerusalem. And the nations will come to Jerusalem to keep the feast, lest they not receive rain.

Their children will have to make their own choice to obey Jesus or resist Him, though resistance will bring grave consequence. Jesus will rule with a rod of iron.

And at the end of the 1000 years, they will have children filling the earth, and Satan will be loosed a short season to deceive them, and to gather them against "the camp of the saints, and the beloved city", only to be destroyed by fire from heaven.

You asked regarding

2 Peter 3:9-12 KJV
9) The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
10) But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11) Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12) Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

The Day of YHWH, the Day of God, would you like to share a study through the Bible of how it speaks of the Day of the LORD? There are various ways people look at "Day of the LORD", and those different ways have a lot to do with how they understand other passages.

Ezekiel 30 describes the "Day of YHWH" upon Egypt,

Ezekiel 30:2-4 KJV
2) Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Howl ye, Woe worth the day!
3) For the day is near, even the day of the LORD is near, a cloudy day; it shall be the time of the heathen.
4) And the sword shall come upon Egypt, and great pain shall be in Ethiopia, when the slain shall fall in Egypt, and they shall take away her multitude, and her foundations shall be broken down.

as God takes away Egypt's allies, and

Ezekiel 30:10 KJV
Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will also make the multitude of Egypt to cease by the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon.

While the "Day of YHWH" seems to me to be primarily used for the end time of God's judgment of the world, it's clearly not exclusively that. So we need to look at that.

Does "Day of YHWH" mean specifically a 24 hour day? Ground wars like Babylon conquering Egypt typically happen as campaigns, with armies advancing day by day across the land, and the prophetic account in Ezekiel reads just like that, even to the point of saying,

Ezekiel 30:16-18 KJV
16) And I will set fire in Egypt: Sin shall have great pain, and No shall be rent asunder, and Noph shall have distresses daily.
17) The young men of Aven and of Pibeseth shall fall by the sword: and these cities shall go into captivity.
18) At Tehaphnehes also the day shall be darkened, when I shall break there the yokes of Egypt: and the pomp of her strength shall cease in her: as for her, a cloud shall cover her, and her daughters shall go into captivity.

Daily distresses, and finally ending at Tehaphnehes, where Egypt is conquered.

There are a number of other places to look at to see exactly how the Bible speaks of this particular Day.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does this even mean? That we should accept everything as being literal even though we all know that not all scripture is literal?
You mean like, God must have feathers? This is a good question you ask, though, I'm glad you did!

Language is what it is, and there are normal ways to use language. Once we've understood what the normal way was to the writer, we are to accept what they are saying, knowing that in reality it is from God.

Granted, there are some rather enigmatic passages, and truly we cannot understand without the Holy Spirit enlightening us.

Let metaphors be metaphors and narratives be narratives, and parables be parables, and let the Bible itself be the authority of which is which, and of what they mean. I'm a total believer in allowing Scripture to interpret Scripture, and I believe that God wrote the Bible in just such a way as to make that the way to understand it.

Metaphors and symbols and parables are shown as such. Metaphors and symbols are defined for us what they mean. Parables require spiritual discernment, but we have the "key" about what to look for in them, the common theme.

I believe all the sayings of Scripture are authenticated in parallel passages, other places less parallel but still informing us, and there is nothing that we are to say, "it says THIS, but means THAT", without some express passage of Scripture telling us to.

Like, the great red dragon in the Revelation ch. 12. "I saw another great sign in heaven", this is a symbol. Later, "the dragon, that ancient serpent, Satan". The Bible says, this is a symbol, and here's what it means.

Then there are the 144,000 sealed male virgin Jews. Nothing says symbol or parable or sign, nothing references it "these are those who are saved from all the earth, a numberless multitude", or whatever it may be. Only another reference later treating them just as literally as the first reference. So that's exactly who they are.

Having determined the saying of the text, we are to receive it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you even trying to say here?
I'm saying that I see many times how people's interpretations of Scripture often gloss over a word or two here and there, sometimes more than that.

Sometimes I catch myself doing that, and when I realize it, I look anew, and sometimes find I've been mistaken about something, and sometimes find further affirmation of something I've thought. Either way I believe I come to a more full understanding.

Are you denying that the word "many" doesn't have to mean not all?
As you were asserting "all" I was pointing out that the passage says "many". Should we take it to mean all? I think "many" can encompass "all", but I think that we need other Scriptures to verify which way we should understand it.

Again, Jesus said that many are called, but few are chosen (Matt 22:14). Does that mean He was saying that not all are called? Or was He indicating the number of those who are called, which number as "many" or "a multitude"?
Great example! This is the very thing I had in mind saying "many" can encompass "all". And then again, a quick review of it's uses in the Bible show that mostly it's used of less than the total number. Many of the publicans, for many days, things like that.

So for me it falls into the catagory being the ambiguous which needs to be interpetted according to the unambiguous.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sheep will inherit "eternal life" (Matt 25:46). How do you figure that they will be mortal at that point?
We are mortal, yet we also have eternal life. Mortal meaning this body can die, eternal life meaning we are alive in the eternal realm.

And what do you mean by "Israel"? Again, the sheep inherit eternal life. Will anyone inherit eternal life because of their nationality? Scripture never teaches such a thing.
By "Israel", I mean Jacob's children.

No one inherits eternal life because of their nationality, however, all of Israel will inherit eternal life when they see Jesus, not because they are Jews, but because God gives them faith, just like He gave us faith.

Zechariah 12:10 KJV
10) And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

In grace and supplications they are saved.

Isaiah 59:20-21 KJV
20) And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD.
21) As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you talking about? I don't claim to know what day or hour Jesus will come, at which point heaven and earth will pass away (Matt 24:35-39, 2 Peter 3:10-13).
You are doing it again. Jesus didn't say that heaven and earth would pass away when He comes in power and glory.

Matthew 24:32-37 KJV
32) Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33) So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34) Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
35) Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
36) But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
37) But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

He didn't say "heaven and earth shall pass away the day I return", and His words will not remain unfulfilled, just the same, Jesus didn't make the statement you've said
First of all, Jesus plainly associated the day of His second coming with the passing away of heaven and earth. Do you believe that heaven and earth will pass away when Jesus comes?
It was a comparison, not a calendar. And there it quite a bit of Scripture which prophesies what will happen on the earth after Jesus comes in power and glory.

Your claim is that Jesus is prophesying the dissolution of heaven and earth to be the same day He comes, and I'm saying that He didn't say that, so we shouldn't, not from that passage.

The passage in Peter I've discussed in another post.

Much love!

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 25:31-34, 46 KJV
31) When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32) And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33) And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34) Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

( . . . )

46) And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Jesus does not specify whether He speaks of the 1000 years of His reign, whether He speaks of His kingdom as He does with us in
What are you trying to say here? The timing of Matthew 25:31-46 is clearly at His second coming. Are you trying to deny that?

Colossians 1:13 KJV
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

These will likewise enter both this kingdom, receiving eternal life, "the righteous into life eternal". This is when they are born again, entering into eternal life, in the eternal kingdom of Jesus Christ, to live as mortals upon the earth, reborn in that day as we are reborn in this day.
You seem to be forgetting that mortal flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 15:50). You are contradicting scripture here. The time for entering the spiritual kingdom of Christ is now and before He returns, not after.

These are those who will live on the earth under the rule of Jesus, to populate the nations as Jesus rules from Jerusalem. And the nations will come to Jerusalem to keep the feast, lest they not receive rain.
Do you understand that keeping the feast of tabernacles involves performing animal sacrifices? How can you think that animal sacrifices would be reinstated in light of the fact that Jesus made the "once for all" sacrifice for sins long ago already? That would be an insult to what Christ has already accomplished. He put an end to the need for animal sacrifices long ago already, so why would they be reinstated? That makes no sense.

Their children will have to make their own choice to obey Jesus or resist Him, though resistance will bring grave consequence. Jesus will rule with a rod of iron.
"Ruling" with a rod of iron is associated with destruction, not ruling in the way you're thinking about. Just read Psalm 2:7-9 and Revelation 19:15-18 to see the context of what "ruling" with a rod of iron entails.

And at the end of the 1000 years, they will have children filling the earth, and Satan will be loosed a short season to deceive them, and to gather them against "the camp of the saints, and the beloved city", only to be destroyed by fire from heaven.
Nice story, but it's not taught anywhere in scripture.

You asked regarding

2 Peter 3:9-12 KJV
9) The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
10) But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11) Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12) Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

The Day of YHWH, the Day of God, would you like to share a study through the Bible of how it speaks of the Day of the LORD?
No, I want to talk about 2 Peter 3 if you don't mind. It's rather straightforward. Paul wrote about it in 1 Thess 5:2-3. There's no need to make something straightforward into something convoluted, as you typically do.

There are various ways people look at "Day of the LORD", and those different ways have a lot to do with how they understand other passages.

Ezekiel 30 describes the "Day of YHWH" upon Egypt,

Ezekiel 30:2-4 KJV
2) Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Howl ye, Woe worth the day!
3) For the day is near, even the day of the LORD is near, a cloudy day; it shall be the time of the heathen.
4) And the sword shall come upon Egypt, and great pain shall be in Ethiopia, when the slain shall fall in Egypt, and they shall take away her multitude, and her foundations shall be broken down.

as God takes away Egypt's allies, and

Ezekiel 30:10 KJV
Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will also make the multitude of Egypt to cease by the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon.

While the "Day of YHWH" seems to me to be primarily used for the end time of God's judgment of the world, it's clearly not exclusively that. So we need to look at that.

Does "Day of YHWH" mean specifically a 24 hour day? Ground wars like Babylon conquering Egypt typically happen as campaigns, with armies advancing day by day across the land, and the prophetic account in Ezekiel reads just like that, even to the point of saying,

Ezekiel 30:16-18 KJV
16) And I will set fire in Egypt: Sin shall have great pain, and No shall be rent asunder, and Noph shall have distresses daily.
17) The young men of Aven and of Pibeseth shall fall by the sword: and these cities shall go into captivity.
18) At Tehaphnehes also the day shall be darkened, when I shall break there the yokes of Egypt: and the pomp of her strength shall cease in her: as for her, a cloud shall cover her, and her daughters shall go into captivity.

Daily distresses, and finally ending at Tehaphnehes, where Egypt is conquered.

There are a number of other places to look at to see exactly how the Bible speaks of this particular Day.
In 2 Peter 3:10-12, which you avoided addressing, it indicates that the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night. Do you know what that means? It means it will arrive suddenly and unexpectedly. And it will be accompanied by global destruction, according to Peter in 2 Peter 3:10-12. How does your understanding of the day of the Lord line up with that? Please explain that.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are doing it again. Jesus didn't say that heaven and earth would pass away when He comes in power and glory.
Yes, He did. He first said that heaven and earth would pass away in Matthew 24:35 and then said that no one knows the day or hour that will happen. He then proceeded to talk about His second coming. This is no different than what Peter wrote about in 2 Peter 3:3-13. Peter also associated the passing away of the heavens and the earth with the day of Christ's return.

Matthew 24:32-37 KJV
32) Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33) So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34) Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
36) But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

He didn't say "heaven and earth shall pass away the day I return", and His words will not remain unfulfilled, just the same, Jesus didn't make the statement you've said
He implied it by indicating that no one knows the day or hour that heaven and earth will pass away. He said the same thing about His second coming, that no one knows the day or hour. He associated the passing away of heaven and earth with His second coming just like Peter did in 2 Peter 3:3-13. You are denying the obvious here, in my opinion.

It was a comparison, not a calendar.
What does this mean?

And there it quite a bit of Scripture which prophesies what will happen on the earth after Jesus comes in power and glory.
Such as?

Your claim is that Jesus is prophesying the dissolution of heaven and earth to be the same day He comes, and I'm saying that He didn't say that, so we shouldn't, not from that passage.
But, He did. Your doctrinal bias is keeping you from seeing that. And you're not interpreting scripture with scripture. We can be confident that is what Jesus was saying because Peter taught the same thing.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are mortal, yet we also have eternal life.
We currently have the hope of eternal life. We do not yet possess it. We will possess it when our bodies are changed to be immortal. That has obviously not yet occurred. Whenever scripture speaks about inheriting the kingdom it's talking in terms of inheriting it bodily. Only doctrinal bias could cause someone to deny this.

Mortal meaning this body can die, eternal life meaning we are alive in the eternal realm.
Nope. That is not at all what Jesus taught in Matthew 25:31-46. Mortal flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God. You are contradicting scripture.

By "Israel", I mean Jacob's children.

No one inherits eternal life because of their nationality, however, all of Israel will inherit eternal life when they see Jesus, not because they are Jews, but because God gives them faith, just like He gave us faith.
Gives them faith? What are you talking about? Since when does God force anyone to believe? Your doctrine is terrible because it teaches that Jews don't need to worry about taking the responsibility of repenting and putting their faith in Christ because God will just do that for them one day. Today is the day of salvation! Your doctrine teaches that Jews can put it off until tomorrow even though tomorrow may not come!

Zechariah 12:10 KJV
10) And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.
Do you know that this verse is quoted with a first coming context in John 19:37? What are you attempting to say by bringing up this verse?

In grace and supplications they are saved.

Isaiah 59:20-21 KJV
20) And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD.
21) As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.
Do you know that the Redeemer, Jesus, already came to Zion to die for the sins of Jacob (and the world)? Why are you acting as if this is a prophecy that hasn't been fulfilled yet? That's like saying that Jesus hasn't come yet to sacrifice Himself for people's sins. That is talking about the new covenant that was established long ago by the blood of Christ.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As you were asserting "all" I was pointing out that the passage says "many". Should we take it to mean all?
Yes. Did you not see where I said there's no reason to think that Daniel 12:1-2 is talking about some other event than John 5:28-29?

I think "many" can encompass "all", but I think that we need other Scriptures to verify which way we should understand it.
Like John 5:28-29?

Great example! This is the very thing I had in mind saying "many" can encompass "all". And then again, a quick review of it's uses in the Bible show that mostly it's used of less than the total number.
So what? Does that dictate how it is used in Daniel 12:2? Of course not. John 5:28-29 tells us how that should be understood.

Many of the publicans, for many days, things like that.

So for me it falls into the catagory being the ambiguous which needs to be interpetted according to the unambiguous.
Yes, and John 5:28-29 is unambiguous.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, He did. Your doctrinal bias is keeping you from seeing that.
I understand how you are reading this. But if you keep it in context, the day and hour Jesus is speaking directly of is the day of His coming in power and glory, and the following verses make that abundantly clear to me.

Matthew 24:33-51 KJV
38) For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
39) And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
40) Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
41) Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
42) Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
43) But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
44) Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
45) Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
46) Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
47) Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
48) But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
49) And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
50) The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51) And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. Did you not see where I said there's no reason to think that Daniel 12:1-2 is talking about some other event than John 5:28-29?
However, all the resurrection passages need to be reconciled together without negating any of them.

Jesus speaks of "the hour", see throughout Scripture the range of meaning that has, and then come back to it. And then harmonize with other passages of the resurrections prophesied.

It's insufficient in my thinking to merely identify a word and go with how we use it in American English, we need to understand how it's used in Scripture. Some words have only one way they are used, some have more than one way.

Word studies show us the range of meaning, and as we examine all the different contexts, we can learn how to view each one.

Much love!

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean like, God must have feathers? This is a good question you ask, though, I'm glad you did!

Language is what it is, and there are normal ways to use language. Once we've understood what the normal way was to the writer, we are to accept what they are saying, knowing that in reality it is from God.

Granted, there are some rather enigmatic passages, and truly we cannot understand without the Holy Spirit enlightening us.

Let metaphors be metaphors and narratives be narratives, and parables be parables, and let the Bible itself be the authority of which is which, and of what they mean.
What does this even mean? You say so many things that don't make any sense. How does the Bible itself tell us which is which? I'm sorry, but I find that statement to be ludicrous. Instead, I believe the Holy Spirit tells us which is which. It's not always easy to tell which is which, if we're honest about it. So, we need the Holy Spirit's help in those cases.

I'm a total believer in allowing Scripture to interpret Scripture,
So am I. Which is why I point out that Daniel 12:1-2 can be understood more fully by reading John 5:28-29.

and I believe that God wrote the Bible in just such a way as to make that the way to understand it.
For the most part that's correct. It would be the rare case where a doctrine can only be found taught in one verse or passage in all of scripture.

Metaphors and symbols and parables are shown as such.
If that was true then why doesn't everyone always agree on what are metaphors and symbols?

Metaphors and symbols are defined for us what they mean.
Sometimes, but not always.

Parables require spiritual discernment, but we have the "key" about what to look for in them, the common theme.

I believe all the sayings of Scripture are authenticated in parallel passages, other places less parallel but still informing us, and there is nothing that we are to say, "it says THIS, but means THAT", without some express passage of Scripture telling us to.
I agree with all this. I don't know how anyone can understand these concepts and still be a Premillennialist. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Like, the great red dragon in the Revelation ch. 12. "I saw another great sign in heaven", this is a symbol. Later, "the dragon, that ancient serpent, Satan". The Bible says, this is a symbol, and here's what it means.
It doesn't always explain the symbols that clearly. For example, the beast. There are who knows how many opinions on who or what the beast is. It doesn't tell us specifically. Yet, you're over here trying to tell me that symbols are always explained? No, not true. Not always with explicit detail such as the text stating specifically that the dragon represents Satan.

Then there are the 144,000 sealed male virgin Jews. Nothing says symbol or parable or sign, nothing references it "these are those who are saved from all the earth, a numberless multitude", or whatever it may be. Only another reference later treating them just as literally as the first reference. So that's exactly who they are.
This is ridiculous. Do you never use any spiritual discernment? Why in the world would someone's sexual purity have anything to do with being part of the 144,000? I believe that is complete nonsense. They are set apart because of their SPIRITUAL purity. Have you never read this:

2 Corinthians 11:1 I hope you will put up with me in a little foolishness. Yes, please put up with me! 2 I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him.

The 144,000 represent those who have been made spiritually pure by the blood of Christ washing away their sins. They include both males and females. I believe your interpretation is sexist and utterly ridiculous and has a very carnal perspective of things.
Having determined the saying of the text, we are to receive it.
Another one of your vague comments that I can only guess as to what it means.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does this even mean? You say so many things that don't make any sense.
I think because we have such different ways of looking at things.

I think that's the way this will continue, I'm thinking to let this rest.

Much love!

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think because we have such different ways of looking at things.
That's part of it, but you also are not specific in what you're saying a lot of the time. So, I'd be surprised if anyone can understand some of the things you say.

I think that's the way this will continue, I'm thinking to let this rest.
It's completely up to you what you want to respond to or not. It's very clear we will never come anywhere close to agreeing on these things. I don't think that makes them not worth discussing. But, I don't personally have anything more to add right now to what I've already said, so I'm fine to just agree to disagree at this point.