The Flesh, Or Satan ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aug 31, 2017
Bath
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Considering temptation, as an example, if a person was to see a bag of money that didn't belong to them, and they had a sudden urge to take it, how would one differentiate whether that was an act of the flesh, or temptation from Satan?

Just trying to understand temptation in its correct context.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi

Considering temptation, as an example, if a person was to see a bag of money that didn't belong to them, and they had a sudden urge to take it, how would one differentiate whether that was an act of the flesh, or temptation from Satan?

What do you mean by the word "flesh"?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi

They are being tempted by their own sinful desire.
Satan is not everywhere he is only one being.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are being tempted by their own sinful desire.
Satan is not everywhere he is only one being.

Agree'd, we tend to give Satan more credit than he deserves. We have free will after all, so blaming everything on Satan ain't gonna fly, especially with God on judgement day.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi

It would be a temptation from Satan before any action was taken, and an act of the flesh involving covetedness once the person actually took it.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi

I think that they are synonymous, but actually more so, flesh can be either a metaphor for Satan's incitement to appease the flesh, or just for shallow desires.
Flesh is not evil, in and of itself. Obviously, God created it, and Jesus had flesh. But, in it's most basal desires and gratification, it is at enmity with the spirit of man.
Thus, it is depraved and degenerate to satisfy the lusts of the flesh i.e. misguided attraction. So, flesh is a metaphor for hedonism, and nonspiritual allurements.
Therefore, all temptation is from the devil, as far as both intent and provocation are concerned.
But, he that is in you, is stronger than he that is in the world. So, no excuses. God will not allow you to be tempted beyond your means, but will always offer a way out.

Reactions: Nancy

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I think that they are synonymous, but actually more so, flesh can be either a metaphor for Satan's incitement to appease the flesh, or just for shallow desires.
Flesh is not evil, in and of itself. Obviously, God created it, and Jesus had flesh. But, in it's most basal desires and gratification, it is at enmity with the spirit of man.
Thus, it is depraved and degenerate to satisfy the lusts of the flesh i.e. misguided attraction. So, flesh is a metaphor for hedonism, and nonspiritual allurements.
Therefore, all temptation is from the devil, as far as both intent and provocation are concerned.
But, he that is in you, is stronger than he that is in the world. So, no excuses. God will not allow you to be tempted beyond your means, but will always offer a way out.
Temptation is not a sin. But succumbing to it and following it with commensurate action is.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Temptation is not a sin. But succumbing to it and following it with commensurate action is.
That's very true, ...I just thought that PWS's post was attempting to differentiate from where the source of temptation comes?
I was saying that satan is the source of all evil, and therefore, any illicit thought, must be inspired by him. As, flesh is not evil, but rather that satan provokes one to gratify it, in an unacceptable manner.
Of course, ultimately you are correct, that it is acting upon the allurement that leads to sin, ...and sin unto death.
I was under the impression that PWS was asking where to put the blame, or how to desist the temptation?

But, you know something, I failed to include the knowledge of good and evil into this equation. That alone, will arouse our members to thoughts and actions of iniquity.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree'd, we tend to give Satan more credit than he deserves. We have free will after all, so blaming everything on Satan ain't gonna fly, especially with God on judgement day.
We are responsible for our sins. Our wills are not really free, yet we are still able to commit acts of sin. We are commanded to mortify sin.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are responsible for our sins. Our wills are not really free, yet we are still able to commit acts of sin. We are commanded to mortify sin.

I wouldn't say our will isn't truly free, because its in fact the one thing that Jesus came to address. In the new heaven and earth, our free will to sin will no longer exist. It will be like wiping out a bad virus that infects a computer, and Jesus is the anti virus program ensuring it never returns, because the very knowledge of sin will never again be able to conceptualize within our heart.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Temptation frequently (not always) is from Satan. But no one needs to yield to it. So the sin is from the flesh (the sin nature).

On the other hand *finders keepers* may also apply, and if an item is found lying around (your hypothetical is very unlikely) who are you going to return it to? At the same time it could be put to good and beneficial (and even unselfish) uses. Money is not evil, but the love of money is evil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Christensen

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldn't say our will isn't truly free, because its in fact the one thing that Jesus came to address. In the new heaven and earth, our free will to sin will no longer exist. It will be like wiping out a bad virus that infects a computer, and Jesus is the anti virus program ensuring it never returns, because the very knowledge of sin will never again be able to conceptualize within our heart.
Free will does not exist at all.
We make choices, but that is not an indication of such a thing as free will which exists in carnal philosophy.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi

Hi PWS,

I see temptations and testings, both from the Greek peirasmos, as being anything in our lives that works against our trusting Jesus in all respects.

So then, I may have not enough cash to cover the needs, and I see an opportunity to get some cash, but not the right way. Maybe something is threatening my safety. Maybe something is alluring to me, seductive. Or all the other temptations we face.

I can choose to trust Jesus, and sit tight. Or I can feel the need inside, a covetousness from the flesh, and feel the desire to take the money. Or perhaps I'm in the devil's sights, who wants someone to devour. Or some other spiritual darkness that is pushing me to sin.

As far as daily life goes, there doesn't seem to be any difference to me. I know that the answer to all temptation is to trust in Jesus to give me the ability to live a good life, and to endure through whatever seems to be pushing and pulling at me.

In 1 Corinthians 10:13 "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

That there is a "way of escape" with "the temptation", this is a particular way. The word translated "escape" is a word for "a safe haven from the violent sea". There is a particular thing God is working in us, allowing us to be tested. Everything in our lives God works for our good, and to make us like Jesus.

I think that the primary purposes of testing/temptation in the life of the believer are to probe for weakness, not that God needs to see, but we need to see, and to move us towards greater faith.

Much love!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
o_O Care to elaborate?
We have self will.
We can only choose according to our nature.
God has no free will.
His Holy nature means He cannot sin.
He cannot lie or change.
He is never "free" to sin.
We are never free to sin. We are able to sin, but NEVER free to sin.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have self will.
We can only choose according to our nature.
God has no free will.
His Holy nature means He cannot sin.
He cannot lie or change.
He is never "free" to sin.
We are never free to sin. We are able to sin, but NEVER free to sin.

Hmmm, well it seems like a bit of a contradiction to be "able" to sin yet not being free to sin. If I am able to sin, whats stopping me from sinning?

Reactions: Nancy

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi

Hi Pianoworldstage, Temptation is something we always need to be on guard against, and Satan is always at work to tempt whomever he can however he can, particularly in the area of the flesh. One of his favourite ploys is to steal the Word of God from hearts if he can, making sure they have no goodness growing in them.
Mat 13:18-19
(18) Hear you therefore the parable of the sower.
(19) When any one hears the word of the kingdom, and understands it not, then comes the wicked one, and catches away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you all for your comments.
Why ? Did you , or anyone, learn anything ?

Did anyone learn what the Bible says about the desires of the flesh ? The desires of the eyes? The pride of life ?

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world--the desires of ...

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world--the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not from the Father but from the world.
For everything in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--comes not from the Father but from the world.
James 1:15 Then after desire has conceived, it ... - Bible Hub

James 1:15 Then after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
Our desires make us sin, and when sin is finished with us, it leaves us dead.