The gift of tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Excellent post....and well laid out.

perrero said :- "*NOW THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND* That prayer language, those tongues that I pray in my PRAYER CLOSET, which can also be in my car as I drive down the road because God and I have a thing going in my car, is NOT the same gift of tongues that is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12. My prayer language is for me alone in my private times with the Lord. The Tongues mentioned in Corinthians is a message meant for the Body of Christ or the Assembly and as such is spoken out loud and as Paul states must be interpreted. We could call this a two step prophecy."

Even though some of us mentioned the above earlier...the difference between the prayer unknown tongue and the Gift of Tongues STILL continues to be muddled in so many peoples understanding ( or NOT understanding!!) Many of us operate in and use both of these, as the Spirit moves upon us.

Thank you ..great post. Two thumbs up :)

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Hmm just a short testimony, but i was around 10 maybe a little older when i got the gift of speaking in tongues, mum was still reading the bible to me at that point haha. 1 time she was reading the Bible to me in bed, and after she finished she laid hands on me, and asked God to give me the gift of tongues, and I started speaking in tongues, in an unknown language it was pretty awesome and i hadn't done it for a while after that though, but 1-2 years ago it came back to me and i have been doing it ever since, i believe I never lost it though, I just wasn't using it and now i am again. So praise God :D

It would be interesting to know about you other people on these forums, when and where did you 1st get the gift of tongues?

The concept of "gift of tongues" is merely about being able to speak and understand more than one language. Obviously not all the people in the world can speak and understand more than one language. Some have a "gift" or talent for learning languages and other don't. It's a bit like having "a gift of music". Some can play music on many different instruments and others can't because they are not interested.
Everyone in the world, except mutes, can speak at least one language. The culture we are born into gives us that "gift" by communicating with us in whatever language they speak.
Speaking random syllables which you do not understand yourself is nonsensical babble and does not benefit anyone including yourself.
Anyone can speak random syllables. It is not some mysterious spiritual gift.

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@perrero

Personally for me, i just gotta open my mouth, I don't even have to say anything, and tongues flow out of my mouth. Maybe that's a small step of faith some people need to take, just to open your mouth in faith and let it flow. I can't speak for everyone though, God has a unique plan for each individual's life and a journey that's unique for each individual born again Christian with the Holy Spirit.

Enjoy the journey that's unique for you ;)

Again another topic that shouldn't even be a debate. hahahaha.

Yes, we need to initiate the speaking. As you said open our mouth and speak forward. Acts 2:4 states that the upper room folks "began to speak" not just spoke in tongues.
This demands faith and trust in God, and some people just do not want to go there. They would rather say that it's not for today.

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The concept of "gift of tongues" is merely about being able to speak and understand more than one language. Obviously not all the people in the world can speak and understand more than one language. Some have a "gift" or talent for learning languages and other don't. It's a bit like having "a gift of music". Some can play music on many different instruments and others can't because they are not interested.
Everyone in the world, except mutes, can speak at least one language. The culture we are born into gives us that "gift" by communicating with us in whatever language they speak.
Speaking random syllables which you do not understand yourself is nonsensical babble and does not benefit anyone including yourself.
Anyone can speak random syllables. It is not some mysterious spiritual gift.

I can see by your post, which is complete psycho-babble, that you have no clue of what the Bible teaches on this subject. Your opinion, your assertion is what it is and certainly does not line up with what God's word teaches. Mind you, do you believe in God at all or is He just "God is an anthropomorphism of the powers of the universe." as stated in the signature area of your post.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
I can see by your post, which is complete psycho-babble, that you have no clue of what the Bible teaches on this subject. Your opinion, your assertion is what it is and certainly does not line up with what God's word teaches. Mind you, do you believe in God at all or is He just "God is an anthropomorphism of the powers of the universe." as stated in the signature area of your post.

Your opinion about my post is also only your assertion and is what it is. You, like anyone else is entitled to you opinion no matter how misinformed it may be. I know very well what Gods word teaches. I was in bible school long enough to learn all about it. I was a Sunday school teacher for many years and a youth leader for many years as well. It is the "word of God" otherwise called the bible, which brought me to the TRUTH and it brought me there because I questioned it thoroughly and ended up with answers that make sense instead of merely believing doctrines by "blind faith".
It's not my fault that many humans tend to personify the powers that be and imagine them to be some invisible person who actually watches over them, but people tend to be stubborn and cling to whatever they are taught is true regardless of whether it is true and sensible or not. It seems that many believers are like frightened children who are too afraid to stop believing in their "magic man" and face the fact that all gods are personifications of various aspects of nature. They always have been and always will be. All gods were invented by humans in order to try to explain things which humans cannot explain any other way.
As for psycho-babble... that is what most "tongues speaking" people do when they speak nonsensical syllables which they themselves don't even understand.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your opinion about my post is also only your assertion and is what it is. You, like anyone else is entitled to you opinion no matter how misinformed it may be. I know very well what Gods word teaches. I was in bible school long enough to learn all about it. I was a Sunday school teacher for many years and a youth leader for many years as well. It is the "word of God" otherwise called the bible, which brought me to the TRUTH and it brought me there because I questioned it thoroughly and ended up with answers that make sense instead of merely believing doctrines by "blind faith".
It's not my fault that many humans tend to personify the powers that be and imagine them to be some invisible person who actually watches over them, but people tend to be stubborn and cling to whatever they are taught is true regardless of whether it is true and sensible or not. It seems that many believers are like frightened children who are too afraid to stop believing in their "magic man" and face the fact that all gods are personifications of various aspects of nature. They always have been and always will be. All gods were invented by humans in order to try to explain things which humans cannot explain any other way.
As for psycho-babble... that is what most "tongues speaking" people do when they speak nonsensical syllables which they themselves don't even understand.
I was all of what you said and I was also completely clueless. I thought I new the bible. lol. Now I know far more. But still need to learn more. There is always more, Its really not about knowing the bible its about knowing Him and spending time with Him. And everything you say about clinging to what they have been taught is aso true of you. Perrero is correct. You dont know what you are talking about in regard to tounges.
All you have is an argument. But we have the experiance. You cannot beat experiance.

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

It would seem that all your background in the church has led you to a falsehood that you "blindly" trust. The TRUTH is found in Jesus Christ. Your faith into inanimate objects of the universe to give you enlightenment is unfortunate. Rocks, Physics, Time and Space cannot provide the answers to questions and desires of an eternal soul. The invisible person who watches over us, as you say, is actually the very one who created us for no other reason than for personal relationship. A loving encounter He would want with all His creatures, including you, as this is what He is all about. I do not expect a non-Christian to understand "speaking in tongues". It is something that God can certainly produce through us when we are available and willing for nothing is impossible to Him.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
I was all of what you said and I was also completely clueless. I thought I new the bible. lol. Now I know far more. But still need to learn more. There is always more, Its really not about knowing the bible its about knowing Him and spending time with Him. And everything you say about clinging to what they have been taught is aso true of you. Perrero is correct. You dont know what you are talking about in regard to tounges.
All you have is an argument. But we have the experiance. You cannot beat experiance.

You are so wrong again and you really ought to stop assuming so much. I have plenty of experience. I was involved with a Pentecostal church for a long time and I actually went through the "speaking in tongues" myself and was convinced that I had received "the gift". The people with me were praising God at the time and thanking him for giving me the gift. It is amazing how much we can convince ourselves of something when we want to be part of whatever is going on in the group we happen to belong to. I have personally experienced the phenomena of so called tongues and interpretations according to the pentecostal ways, through speaking the babble myself and having it "interpreted", hearing others speak the babble, etc...
I am just glad I grew up out of those things and realised the vanity and futility of it all. It is amazing how much "spiritual pride" and "wanting to be special" and have "something special" can get in the way of admitting the foolishness of such actions.
It was because I sought the TRUTH (not some invisible person) with all my heart that I found it. It is not an easy thing to learn or admit that the Pentecostal babbling in so called tongues was and is a paganistic ritual which was around in religious pagan circles a long time before the Christ stories ever came on the scene. Google "pagan tongues speaking" and learn the TRUTH for yourself.

In the bible stories Jesus always spoke in tongues TO people. ( Isaiah 28:11) He never spoke in some mystical language which was unknown to humanity. He spoke the language which people could understand if they wanted to understand it.
Some understood him and some did not in spite of the fact that he was speaking the same known language to all of them. It is no different to me speaking English to you and you still having no clue what I am talking about because you are not listening or filtering the words through your own mind correctly. All you hear is "psycho babble" because you misinterpret my words in your mind and don't want to accept the truth that your own "psycho babble" comes from paganistic rituals and gives people a false sense of spiritual pride which somehow makes them feel superior to others because they think they are more "spiritual" since they have these false signs following them.

True tongues is simply a known language. Some can speak more than one language and other only speak one language.
In Acts 2:1-6, the apostles spoke in their own language and the foreigners who heard them speak could understand them. Notice verse 6 especially..." every man heard them speak in his own language."

It is not about speaking some so called mystical words which no one including yourself can understand. It is about speaking words which can be understood by hearers in order to help spread the TRUTH around the world. People who want to hear and know the Truth will listen and hear it. Those with closed minds and hearts will never hear it but will always reject it as lies or psycho-babble and attempt to crucify the messenger of Truth. That's the way it was and is and always will be.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
It would seem that all your background in the church has led you to a falsehood that you "blindly" trust. The TRUTH is found in Jesus Christ. Your faith into inanimate objects of the universe to give you enlightenment is unfortunate. Rocks, Physics, Time and Space cannot provide the answers to questions and desires of an eternal soul. The invisible person who watches over us, as you say, is actually the very one who created us for no other reason than for personal relationship. A loving encounter He would want with all His creatures, including you, as this is what He is all about. I do not expect a non-Christian to understand "speaking in tongues". It is something that God can certainly produce through us when we are available and willing for nothing is impossible to Him.

It seems to me that you are having difficulty realising that the TRUTH is not found in a man named Jesus but that the character named Jesus is actually a personification of the TRUTH.
I have no faith in inanimate objects to give enlightenment to anyone. I don't know where you get that idea from.
Enlightenment comes from revelation not from any objects. Did some inanimate object enlighten you to the fact that the magic Santa with flying reindeer is a mythical character? NO? Then how did you come to that realisation of TRUTH?
Nature created us through the natural process of reproduction. Personifying nature as a person does not make some invisible person exist any place other than in the imaginations of those who wish to cling to such mythical characters.
No invisible person wants to have any relationship with any real people. Real people want real relationships with other real people not with some invisible people. However, I understand that some people rarely find other people who are real since most are superficial and also lost in their own fantasy land.

I am "speaking in tongues" to you right now. I am speaking a language which you are supposed to understand yet you still don't hear me because your ears and eyes are closed to the TRUTH and you only hear psycho babble because that's all you want to hear.

Just because people do not place a Christian label on themselves, does not mean they do not understand certain things or follow the path of Truth or Love. The "Christian" label is meaningless when you are following a false Christ. Those who follow their false invisible Christs still call themselves Christians.
Remember the parable of the good samaritan? He was more "Christian" than the so called "Christian" who looked down on the unbeliever and turned his back on him because he too dirty or something and the self righteous man did not want to lower himself to the filth.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well ma man you are definetly still got a lot of babble going on. What is your purpous here? what do you want. you clearly know every thing and dont want to be told nothing as you know better. I cant be botherd going through or even half reading your posts I could pick them apart where you contrdict yourself but I have no desire. Why are you here? Just to teach me. I have zero interest in going backwards.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Well ma man you are definetly still got a lot of babble going on. What is your purpous here? what do you want. you clearly know every thing and dont want to be told nothing as you know better. I cant be botherd going through or even half reading your posts I could pick them apart where you contrdict yourself but I have no desire. Why are you here? Just to teach me. I have zero interest in going backwards.

The Spirit led me here and I am merely following the lead. It is no coincidence that our "paths" have crossed.
My purpose in life is simply to share myself and what I have learned throughout my life, with others as well as learn what I can from them. Those who like learning from others will listen and learn and those who don't, simply won't. However, Just because some seeds fall on dry ground is no reason to stop sowing seeds. TRUTH grows in the hearts and minds of those who are open toward the TRUTH not in the hearts of those who have hard hearts and close their minds to TRUTH.
I AM the Truth. Whether you choose to believe that or not depends on how much doubt you wish to hold on to and will determine whether you go backwards or forwards in your knowledge of Truth.

eldios

May 20, 2017
California
Faith
Country
United States
The Spirit led me here and I am merely following the lead. It is no coincidence that our "paths" have crossed.
My purpose in life is simply to share myself and what I have learned throughout my life, with others as well as learn what I can from them. Those who like learning from others will listen and learn and those who don't, simply won't. However, Just because some seeds fall on dry ground is no reason to stop sowing seeds. TRUTH grows in the hearts and minds of those who are open toward the TRUTH not in the hearts of those who have hard hearts and close their minds to TRUTH.
I AM the Truth. Whether you choose to believe that or not depends on how much doubt you wish to hold on to and will determine whether you go backwards or forwards in your knowledge of Truth.

You have no idea what Truth is but you will continue to teach your false ideas until your flesh perishes. Then you will begin hearing the voice that all us servants of God know very well. Those of us who hear the voice of God and obey all his commandments are the one's used to testify to the knowledge called Christ that reveals what the Truth is and how it was created.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tongues in the church, tongues aloud that is, are meant to be interpreted. Tongues spoken to yourself quietly in church are for prayer.
Tongues outside of church are for building up. Read jude vs 20.

I see those that know nothing about the baptism in the Holy Spirit speaking with authority on the gift of tongues and other spiritual gifts. This is wrong. Your denomination denies God in these things. You have no right to make pronouncements on God's gifts. God is still in the business of Acts chapter 19. As far as denominations please note;

Denominational failures to the people.

By grace I was saved outside denominational walls and owe no allegiance to any denomination,sect or creed. All my devotion is to God the Father, Jesus Christ and His excellent Holy Spirit. I love, or attempt to love, those inside denominations even though they try and tell me that everything that happened to me outside of their doctrinal statements is not of God. The denominations try to kill the spirit with their cold dead traditions. Jesus STILL has to go out and fetch heathens like me on His own. Thank the Lord. They cannot move by the spirit just by the deacons orders or the evangelism program printed by the secretary. You can't be led by the spirit if your church denies the power if the spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:6 KJV
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

I was visited over the years by "visitation" groups wanting me to come to their church. Not ONE OF THEM EVER TOLD ME ABOUT THE LOVE OF GOD FOR ME. JUST JOIN OUR HOLY Club. It's sad for those who are dying for a touch of the love of God. On Sunday mornings their preaching broadcasts on TV are dead, dry and lifeless.

They are no different from the democrats and Republicans who think more of their corrupt political party than of the real American citizens who they swore to represent.

The traditional denominations deny God's gifts and calling as being "not for today, of the devil, unneeded, departure from God and etc" they sit and are transfixed by their doctor of letters and ignore the pleadings of the Holy Spirit. The Lord gave me a dream about these dead religions I call the ceramic Lamb and I will post it sometime. If they would read their Bibles without the prejudice against God's gifts.

Thanks and praise God for evermore for coming to get me, save me, baptize me in His Holy Spirit, deliver me before the denominations made one more religious bigot and zombie from my starving soul. I will try and lead people to Jesus as I can, not to some denomination that kills the spirit. Jesus will still freely give the gift of His Holy Spirit and gifts if tongues, prophecy, healing and all the other gifts to anyone who will receive them. The pharisaical denominations speak badly of anyone believing that God still performs the acts described in Acts chapter 19.

Thank you my Lord Jesus for saving me from their clutches.

Reactions: Sword

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism in the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues

Job 29:21 — Job 29:23 (NKJV)
“Men listened to me and waited,
And kept silence for my counsel.
After my words they did not speak again,
And my speech settled on them as dew.
They waited for me as for the rain,
And they opened their mouth wide as for the spring rain.

Intercessory prayer in the spirit

Job 32:18 — Job 32:20 (NKJV)
For I am full of words;
The spirit within me compels me.
Indeed my belly is like wine that has no vent;
It is ready to burst like new wineskins.
I will speak, that I may find relief;
I must open my lips and answer.

Isaiah 28:11-12 KJVS
For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
[12] To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Zephaniah 3:9 KJVS
For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord , to serve him with one consent.

Mark 16:17 KJVS
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Acts 1:8 KJVS
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Acts 2:1-4 KJVS
And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
[2] And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
[3] And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
[4] And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 19:1-7 KJVS
And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
[2] He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost SINCE ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
[3] And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. [4] Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
[5] When they heard this , they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
[6] And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
[7] And all the men were about twelve.

1 Corinthians 12:7-11 KJVS
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. [8] For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
[9] To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
[10] To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
[11] But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up. I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue. So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and DO NOT FORBID speaking in tongues.
1 Corinthians 14:1‭-‬5‭, ‬18‭-‬19‭, ‬39 ESV

praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
Ephesians 6:18 ESV

Jude 1:20 (NKJV)
But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

Romans 11:29 (NKJV)
For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

There are many attacks against God's gifts through the Holy Spirit, especially the gift of tongues. These attacks are in ignorance of what the scripture says and are generated by those "not having the spirit" as we are told by brother Jude's letter.

Jude 1:19-20 KJVS
These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit. [20] But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Keep on praying in the spirit (tongues) Jude also urges us.

Tongues in the church spoken aloud in the assembly are for interpretation. You may speak in this heavenly language quietly to yourself. Outside of the church building we pray in the spirit, tongues, to build our spirit up. God inhabits the very praises of His children and prayer in the spirit - tongues - is nonstop prayer and praise without interference by the natural man.

Amazingly those religious denominational church goers who are first to denounce the very word of God! So strange that they don't even realize that they are standing in the place of scoffers and blindly follow their pharisaical leaders. Their churches are cold and lifeless because they stand and preach denial of what Jesus put into place. They are persecutors of the gospel as Paul was. Paul lost his sight because of his persecution but got it back after a change of heart.

These anti-God given gift bigots will not honestly read the scripture on the subject because they are so steeped in their traditions.

I read so many foolish and false statements about the gift of tongues it is amazing. They should for once read their Bible prayerfully and leave their wrong teachings elsewhere.

In Acts the 19th chapter we see a guide for being baptized in the Holy Spirit and receiving the gift of tongues. See what Paul said ;

Acts 19:1-2 KJVS
And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, [2] He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost SINCE ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

In verse 2 Paul does not ask if they believed. They were already believers. He asked if they had received the Holy Spirit. If all you received from God was received at salvation why would he have used the word SINCE?

Step 1 is to believe and receive.
Step 2 is to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and as you do He bestows upon you the gift of tongues.

I counsel those that hold to the unbelief of their denomination to turn to Jesus and the Scriptures and cast aside their unbelief.

Acts 13:41 (NKJV)

‘Behold, you despisers,
Marvel and perish!
For I work a work in your days,
A work which you will by no means believe,
Though one were to declare it to you.’ ”

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I read so many foolish and false statements about the gift of tongues it is amazing. They should for once read their Bible prayerfully and leave their wrong teachings elsewhere.
ya, we should all be Pentecostals, i guess, being as how they are such a Shining Light and all.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
That kind of cynical comment doesn't progress the discussion on the biblical gift of tongues, which is as much a gift of the Spirit as teaching, administrating and helping (1 Cor 12:28-30).
my point was to highlight that there is a counterfeit speaking in tongues, too, that is rarely discussed; so if you accept that there must be a counterfeit, "ritual" tongues, then i would ask you to describe it in such a way so as not to seem cynical, which i guess i am not too good at, sorry, because imo Paul described the Pentecostal/glossololia kind that we have today in his passage "gurgling and cooing, like a baby."

Which i doubt a believer in glossololia would appreciate much, no doubt they might even term that "cynical."