The God Who is There

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DancesWithGnostics

Nov 6, 2020
Waco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The God Who is There
Escape from Reason
He is There and He is Not Silent

The initial trilogy of books from Francis Schaeffer.

How much of my worldview is shaped by Schaeffer's books?
I read virtually all of them - in college - discussing them with my friends. I read Edith's book on Art too.
I wanted to go to L'Abri so bad. Some people thought that I DID go, but I just went into the Air Force.

I see the board here trying to leverage and be guided by their spiritual roots - as a result of being confronted with Edward Gordon's Veridicanism. Maybe your roots are not Schaeffer, but he was the one for me that fused philosophy and Christianity. Of course he was "just a man" - not Jesus - but he made me think, and start from "A is not Non-A" - the basic premise of logic, affirming the validity of Reason. And then there was Escape from Reason - and into the existential SILENCE - only to have it affirmed that He is There and He is Not Silent. And 20 more books or however many there were after that.

Are there hard questions?

Does it require a wisdom-but-in-love that Schaeffer's books could give us?

It just may be.

Christians of this board - leverage your own spiritual roots - and we will go from Joshua and the Flow of Biblical History into answers for today.

Reactions: Lambano

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I never heard of the guy. I used to read a lot before I got a brain injury. Now it's just hard to concentrate. I've read a lot of Rick Joyner's books.
I had no spiritual roots when I was nagged into church in '72. It was a Pentecostal church...perhaps PAOC. I had a salvation experience though it was 17 years before I went to a church for a year. A Christian Reformed church. Revival broke out and the church split. So did I.
It was another 3 years before I went to another church. This time it was a Vineyard church, in '94. It was closely connected to the Toronto Airport Vineyard Christian Fellowship.
I unknowingly walked into the middle of a powerful move of the Holy Spirit. I was there for 3 1/2 years. It was great. There was a split and eventually I left.
I've been without a home church since '98. In 2019, the Lord revealed to me that I was descended from Levi, which makes me Hebrew. You might not think this would mean much, but it has been immensely impactful on me. Some of my doctrine has changed.
I'm thinking about attending a Messianic fellowship a few miles from here, but since I found out about it, I've caught 2 viruses. I just got over one and 2 weeks later I came down with another one. I'll go if the Lord wants me to go. I recently joined a Messianic forum.
This is who I am...(a song I wrote)
I am what I am, a child of the great I Am.
By the blood of the Lamb, the Lamb who was slain.
I'm precious in His sight, the apple of His eye.
I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

You knew me, You formed me.
You chose me, You called me.
You love me, just like You love Yeshua.
You delight in me! tc

This is how He loves us...absolutely amazing! Shalom!

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember..reading his books..many years ago.
'The God Who is There'
'How should We Then Live?'
--
His books were helpful..
- Understanding/learning..about Christian worldview.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @Pathfinder7 Another of Francis Schaeffer's books was: 'The Great Evangelical Disaster', which is about how professed evangelicals have allowed their own doctrine to become very watered down, with disastrous results.