The Inquisitions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, just for the sake of argument, (which is all you know how to do), let's say the total number responsible by the Pope was 428.
Would God bless his church for that?
First of all - I'm not here to argue. I'm here to dispel myths and falsehoods about the Catholic Church.

Secondly - Not ONE, single Pope condemned ONE single person to death during the Inquisitions.
You need to get your facts straight before discussing this.

This is precisely why at the beginning of this thread, I declared that there could NOT be an intelligent discussion about the Inquisitions. This subject is FAR beyond the knowledge and education of most posters on public discussion forums. WAAAAAYY too much misinformation has been spewn over the years by anti-Catholics - that the lies have become the truth for so many.

The pervasiveness of ignorance of this subject only serves to turn most of these types of threads into the same, uninformed anti-Catholic tirades that we see too much of already.

Reactions: epostle1

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we know that His church "ecclesia" not mens .... Please get your facts straight

this one

Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Act 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Act 7:50 Hath not my hand made all these things?
Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

Can we stop mixing the two up, it is very confusing to young Christians
And as I have repeatedly shown you on multiple threads - the Catholic Church is the ONLY Church that can trace itself all the way back to the Apostles in an unbroken line of Popes.

NONE of your Protestant denominations can make this claim.
Certainly NOT your online cult over at aggressivechristianity.net, which came into being in 1980 . . .

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
people call themselves and organizations call themselves all sorts of things. you live in the US just how dumb do you think I am? you know just as well as I do that there are organizations that call themselves churches that worship Satan there are churches that say God is a female, there are churches that don't acknowledge Jesus Christ as the Son of God/Word of God, so on and so forth are they the churches you are talking about? are those who call themselves Christian but don't believe Jesus is the Son of God are they the Christians you are talking about?

if an organization wants to call itself universal, that doesn't make it universal.
Hi DPM,

I don't understand why you are asking ME if they are the Churches or the Christians I am talking about when YOU are the one who said in post #81 "...Paul and Peter speak of the faithful as the church."

YOUR STATEMENT prompted me to ask you those questions. If you are unable to articulate clearly what you believe and if you are unable to back up YOUR STATEMENT then I will move on.

So I ask you once again: If the "faithful" are as you seem to believe "the church" then which church do we go to too fulfill Matthew 18:17?

Which "church" is the pillar and foundation of truth (
1 Timothy 3:15)? The church of dpmartin? The church of marymog? The church of Joe that lives down the street from me? I have 2 billion choices.

If you don't have an answer please let me know and I will move on.

IHS...Mary

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I didn't say, or even imply, that I "expect the organization known as the catholic church to not be corrupted".
The Catholic Church "treat (ed) it (the government) as something that is their own."
That's a can of worms. Where's your evidence? The CATHOLIC CHURCH cannot be doctrinally corrupted or Jesus lied. Next you have to argue when the Church began, or went corrupt. You pick. Scholarly sources only please.

"...that's not the truth though is it?"
The truth is this (about the governing authorities): from 1Peter 2: 13. "Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake, whether to the king as supreme, 14. or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good. 15. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men—"

The government should be distinct from the Church of God.
Is THAT why you guys avoid the OT? What about Nero?
The Romans 13 verse, in the NKJV, uses "governing authorities" and "taxes" . The verses are talking about the governing authorities, not the church authorities.. my opinion, of course.

The body of Christ (the Church) is in the world, but not of the world.
The governments are worldly, and the Church is to be distinct from that.
Your message is confusing. The Church is to operate apart from society like those German cults?
see your opinion, that's not the truth though is it? the roman catholic church was a authority in the world, it was the church or religion of the state (roman empire) hence having influential and political power in the world that other powers in the world had to respect fear and or deal with.

get real, your expectation of human nature is not realistic if you expect the organization known as the catholic church to not be corrupted. its the same for any thing in the hands of man, once they treat it as something that is their own.
The CC doctrines are not in the hands of men alone. This is what you do not, or cannot understand. You failed to list the corrupt worldly emperors that persecuted the Church. There never has been DOCTRINAL CORRUPTION in the Catholic Church. Before you go bellyaching about any other types of corruption, look to your own church first. You have to get in your "BIG BOOGIE MAN" CATHOLIC CHURCH digs, don't you?. You are not being fair and you are not being realistic, and there is nothing "Christian" about bearing false witness. You are another anti-Catholic zealot that relies on fake histories, who are a dime a dozen. Try listing the great saints of the Church of any century instead of pointing out the squashed poop, it seems that's all you can do.
I didn't say, or even imply, that I "expect the organization known as the catholic church to not be corrupted".
The Catholic Church "treat (ed) it (the government) as something that is their own."
"...that's not the truth though is it?"
The truth is this (about the governing authorities): from 1Peter 2: 13. "Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake, whether to the king as supreme, 14. or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good. 15. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men—"
That is a scripture citation, not a historical example. You are making up nonsense and trying to make it prophetic to attack the Infant Church. Shame on you.
The government should be distinct from the Church of God.
I care not for politics. By calling the Church an "organization" is a truly man made attempt to remove the divine qualities of the Church: One, Holy, Universal, and Apostolic. This makes re-writing history so much easier. This can never happen no matter how hard you try. Calling the Church "invisible" is even worse.

Remember, the last 40 (-1) popes were killed by pagan Romans, but that means nothing to anti-Catholics. They keep coming up with this government/church unification fantasy and ignore the other popes who who were killed by secular emperors. Selective blindness takes over. Hate wins with these people. Ignore them.

Did Jesus plan the monarchical papacy? He did not plan for the sometimes corrupt, venal and worldly papacy that it has sometimes become down through history, but Jesus did plan for one man to be his royal delegate on earth. He did plan for one man to lead the others (Lk.22.32) He did plan for one man to take up the spiritual and temporal leadership of his church. This is shown not only through the famous passage from Matthew 16, but also in the final chapter of John’s gospel where Jesus the Good Shepherd hands his pastoral role over to Peter.

This is unthinkable to Protestants, even though scripture is loud and clear on the matter. The Church is like the Incarnation (human and divine). That has been pointed out to you dozens of times, you refuse to get it. I will spell it out for you again: THE CHURCH IS AN EXTENSION OF THE INCARNATION UNITED BY THE EUCHARIST (that you unknowingly denigrate).

The critics of the Catholic Church aren’t really worried about when the term ‘pope’ was first used. What they mean when they say that Leo the Great (440-461) was the first pope is that this is when the papacy began to assume worldly power. This is, therefore, simply a problem in definition of terms. By ‘pope’ the Evangelical means what I thought of as ‘pope’ after my Evangelical childhood. By ‘pope’ they mean ‘corrupt earthly ruler’. In that respect Leo the Great might be termed the ‘first pope’ because he was the one, (in the face of the disintegrating Roman Empire) who stepped up and got involved in temporal power without apology.

However, seeing the pope as merely a temporal ruler and disapproving is to be too simplistic. Catholics understand the pope’s power to be spiritual. While certain popes did assume temporal power, they often did so reluctantly, and did not always wield that power in a corrupt way. Whether popes should have assumed worldly wealth and power is arguable, but at the heart of their ministry, like the Lord they served, they should have known that their kingdom was not of this world. Their rule was to be hierarchical and monarchical in the sense that they were serving the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. It was not first and foremost to be hierarchical and monarchical in the worldly sense.

The Protestant idea that the papacy was a fifth century invention relies on a false understanding of the papacy itself. After the establishment of the church at Constantine’s conversion the church hierarchy did indeed become more influential in the kingdoms of this world, but that is not the essence of the papacy. The essence of the papacy lies in Jesus’ ordination of Peter as his royal steward, and his commission to assume the role of Good Shepherd in Christ’s absence. The idea, therefore, that Leo the Great was the first ‘pope’ is a red herring based on a misunderstanding of the pope’s true role.

a misunderstanding of the pope’s true role; get it?

The Church is an extension of the Incarnation (whether you understand that or not) united by the Eucharist.

"...These sincere Christians then attempt to ‘restore’ the church by creating a new church. The problem is, each new group of restorationists invariably create a church of their own liking determined by their contemporary cultural assumptions. They then imagine that the early church was like the one they have invented.

All of the historical documents show that, in essence, the closest thing we have today to the early church is actually the Catholic Church. In these main points the Catholic Church is today what she has always been. Her leadership is unapologetically monarchical and hierarchical. Her teaching authority is centralized and universal, and the pope is what he has always been, the universal pastor of Christ’s Church, the steward of Christ’s kingdom and the Rock on which Christ builds his Church.

The Early Papacy - 3 - Fr Longenecker at Patheos

Anti-Catholics don't care about violating the 9th Commandment as long as they can rationalize their lies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marymog,

Crafty? Ok....

My statement is backed up by reality. Heresies still exist despite the Catholic Churches attempts to stamp them out. Dualism, Modalism, elements of Montanism and Manicheanism and especially Gnosticism are still interwoven within Christian thought today. This is hardly an exhaustive list
Hi aspen,

And your point is?????

The Apostles fought heretical teachings. The Apostolic and ECF fought heretical teachings. The Church fought heretical teachings when they held their Councils with the first one being The Council of Jerusalem spoken of in Acts 15. Are you suggesting that The Church stop fighting heresies and just let everyone believe and teach what they want? (for the record I think the Apostles would disagree with you) The Church should end their desire to have all Christians speak as One with One voice, One message, One Truth?

You are the one who said that "All the Church can do is present the gospel" to prevent heresies (Post #88).

So I ask you for the third time you Crafty rabbit: Present the gospel according to whose interpretation? Yours? Mine? Isn't that why we have heresies because every church is presenting their own version/interpretation of gospel?

IHS...Mary

Reactions: GodsGrace

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was going to watch it. Got a smart tv! But if it's going to bother kids, chances are it'll bother me too.

I'm not here to put down Catholicism. Many are incorrectly taught about the Crusades too. The last Crusade was not supported by Rome, if I remember correctly. However, I do agree with the crusades, and fear we may have more coming unless we want to give everything to Islam.

350 years and 3 to 5,000 dead due to the inquisition is not acceptable, IMHO. those that died were ONE individual. Didn't Joan of Arc burn at the stake because of the methods of the day? Barbaric, to say the least. In this case, however, the church did declare her not guilty. I can't remember if it was the inquisition that put her to death...

So. How to overturn such a wrong accusation to ANY church?
I'll be looking into this more. I brought up this topic one time to a Catholic friar and he had no words of support for the church...
Maybe he was just tired...

Thanks for the long reply.
I'll be posting on this.
St. Joan of Arc was killed by a corrupt bishop who favored Anglican victory. The Church was a victim as well as St. Joan of Arc. It is not uncommon for saints to be unjustly executed.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
aspen said:
My statement is backed up by reality. Heresies still exist despite the Catholic Churches attempts to stamp them out. Dualism, Modalism, elements of Montanism and Manicheanism and especially Gnosticism are still interwoven within Christian thought today. This is hardly an exhaustive list
They may exist but that does not mean they are sanctioned or met with church approval. Contrary to the psychotic ramblings of frothing-at-the-mouth anti-Catholics, the Church leaves people to be victims of their own devices and stamps no one out. True, there is a lot of crap out there and that is why we have a mother, to keep us from stepping in poop.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was going to watch it. Got a smart tv! But if it's going to bother kids, chances are it'll bother me too.

I'm not here to put down Catholicism. Many are incorrectly taught about the Crusades too. The last Crusade was not supported by Rome, if I remember correctly. However, I do agree with the crusades, and fear we may have more coming unless we want to give everything to Islam.

350 years and 3 to 5,000 dead due to the inquisition is not acceptable, IMHO. those that died were ONE individual. Didn't Joan of Arc burn at the stake because of the methods of the day? Barbaric, to say the least. In this case, however, the church did declare her not guilty. I can't remember if it was the inquisition that put her to death...

So. How to overturn such a wrong accusation to ANY church?
I'll be looking into this more. I brought up this topic one time to a Catholic friar and he had no words of support for the church...
Maybe he was just tired...

Thanks for the long reply.
I'll be posting on this.
St. Joan of Arc was killed by a corrupt bishop who favored Anglican victory. The Church was a victim as well as St. Joan of Arc. It is not uncommon for saints to be unjustly executed.
St. Joan of Arc - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online
scroll down for the text version

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
St. Joan of Arc - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online
scroll down for the text version
I watched the video.
It did say she had an inquisitor.
Most of them were hateful men, anyway.
The Protestants also had witch trials.
If the witch did not drown, then the burned her as a witch.
If she did drown it meant she was not a witch. TOO LATE.
I have little good feelings toward man.

Reactions: Helen

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In 1567 a fierce propaganda campaign began with the publication of a Protestant leaflet penned by a supposed Inquisition victim named Montanus. This character (Protestant of course) painted Spaniards as barbarians who ravished women and sodomized young boys. The propagandists soon created “hooded fiends” who tortured their victims in horrible devices like the knife-filled Iron Maiden (which never was used in Spain). The BBC/A and E special plainly states a reason for the war of words: the Protestants fought with words because they could not win on the battlefield.
The Inquisition had a secular character, although the crime was heresy. Inquisitors did not have to be clerics, but they did have to be lawyers. The investigation was rule-based and carefully kept in check. And most significantly, historians have declared fraudulent a supposed Inquisition document claiming the genocide of millions of heretics.
What is documented is that 3000 to 5000 people died during the Inquisition’s 350 year history . . . As the program documents, the 3,000 to 5,000 documented executions of the Inquisition pale in comparison to the 150,000 documented witch burnings elsewhere in Europe over the same centuries.

. . . Discrediting the Black Legend brings up the sticky subject of revisionism. Re-investigating history is only invalid if it puts an agenda ahead of reality. The experts – once true believers in the Inquisition myth – were not out to do a feminist canonization of Isabella or claim that Tomas de Torquemada was a Marxist. Henry Kamen of the Higher Council for Scientific Research in Barcelona said on camera that researching the Inquisition’s archives “demolished the previous image all of us (historians) had.

Even Henry Charles Lea, the first major American Inquisition historian and no fan of the Catholic Church, says of the calculations of victims:

There is no question that the number of these has been greatly exaggerated in popular belief, an exaggeration to which Llorente has largely contributed by his absurd method of computation…. (A History of the Inquisition of Spain, volume 4, p. 517)

Lea calls Llorente’s guess-work “reckless” and “entirely fallacious.”

Related reading:
The Inquisition Killed 4.9 Million? (John Bugay’s Whoppers) [6-4-10]
Were “50-68 Million” People Killed in the Inquisition? [8-21-15; abridged, general version of Shamoun discussion above]
Sam Shamoun: Catholic Inquisition Murdered “50-68 Million” (see also the vigorous related Facebook discussion) [April 2014]
Inquisition, Crusades, & “Catholic Scandals” (Index Page)
Protestant Inquisitions: “Reformation” Intolerance & Persecution

Read more at "Romanists" Killed 100 Million? David T. King & Other Geniuses

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi aspen,

And your point is?????

The Apostles fought heretical teachings. The Apostolic and ECF fought heretical teachings. The Church fought heretical teachings when they held their Councils with the first one being The Council of Jerusalem spoken of in Acts 15. Are you suggesting that The Church stop fighting heresies and just let everyone believe and teach what they want? (for the record I think the Apostles would disagree with you) The Church should end their desire to have all Christians speak as One with One voice, One message, One Truth?

You are the one who said that "All the Church can do is present the gospel" to prevent heresies (Post #88).

So I ask you for the third time you Crafty rabbit: Present the gospel according to whose interpretation? Yours? Mine? Isn't that why we have heresies because every church is presenting their own version/interpretation of gospel?

IHS...Mary
Hmmm. Good point.
Also, ONLY presenting the gospel does not eliminate heresies.
They have always been and always will be, not matter HOW the gospel is presented.

In fact, the gospel is presented PRECISELY in the way the heretical would present it !

They change it according to their very own beliefs...

Reactions: Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mary, anything about Bishop Sheen would be an 'inside' comment for an old Catholic...I can see how it sounds weird tho, LOL! What was I thinking? Ha!
It means I knew him basically. To a older Catholic it's just saying I knew a celebrity...
when I tell a priest or an older Italian woman, say, you should see their eyes!
Just a fun thing for me... and then we get to talk about him. :]
Hi Hepburn,

I'm jealous. You actually knew Bishop Sheen? He and Billy Graham are two great speakers that I would have loved to met. What was he like (your personal opinion)? Still confused about the hand thing....:(. You made it sound like he was creepy!!

BTW....You said it (the inquisition's) was a bad time for the Catholic Church.

I asked you if it was it a bad time for the Protestant churches also since they also held inquisitions. You never answered.

Should I expect an answer or are we dropping the subject of the Protestant inquisition's and only focusing on the Catholic inquisition's?

Curious Mary

Reactions: Helen and GodsGrace

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen said:
They may exist but that does not mean they are sanctioned or met with church approval. Contrary to the psychotic ramblings of frothing-at-the-mouth anti-Catholics, the Church leaves people to be victims of their own devices and stamps no one out. True, there is a lot of crap out there and that is why we have a mother, to keep us from stepping in poop.

I totally agree with this. I speak out against the historical Inquisitions because they were ineffective and tried to squelch and stamp out heresy in a manner that included torture and death. I am glad that my church has changed its approach.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi aspen,

And your point is?????

IHS...Mary

I am Catholic Mary. I believe the Catholic Church has the most complete gospel. I thought we covered this. Faith in the truth of the gospel requires only that we present it; interrogation leading to torture and death are not required.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi Hepburn,

I'm jealous. You actually knew Bishop Sheen? He and Billy Graham are two great speakers that I would have loved to met. What was he like (your personal opinion)? Still confused about the hand thing....:(. You made it sound like he was creepy!!

BTW....You said it (the inquisition's) was a bad time for the Catholic Church.

I asked you if it was it a bad time for the Protestant churches also since they also held inquisitions. You never answered.

Should I expect an answer or are we dropping the subject of the Protestant inquisition's and only focusing on the Catholic inquisition's?

Curious Mary
I didn't hear everything Bishop Sheen ever said in his whole life,
however, from what I did hear, I'd say that he's a great speaker, but he hardly ever mentioned God in the way that Billy Graham did.
I liked Billy Graham a whole lot more.
Bishop Sheen had a lot of psychology in his sermons.
Like I said, I'm not an expert on this.

Reactions: Helen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's my opinion, for what it's worth:
The catholic church is a cult.

Ah....

Ok people, we can all wrap this thing up and go home...
Mr. Triumph here has closed the book on the Catholic Church, once and for all
If only Luther had put is so succinctly

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here's my opinion, for what it's worth:
The catholic church is a cult.

Very subtle..the way to win friends and influence people!
If you check out what a cult really is...most churches come under that.
Any dominant person with emotional and spiritual control over others with a submissive membership....is a cult.
You will find it in every denomination ....church group, movement etc.
We are all cultish!!!

Reactions: Richard_oti

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And as I have repeatedly shown you on multiple threads - the Catholic Church is the ONLY Church that can trace itself all the way back to the Apostles in an unbroken line of Popes.

NONE of your Protestant denominations can make this claim.
Certainly NOT your online cult over at aggressivechristianity.net, which came into being in 1980 . . .
Yes we know BOL, a stuck record replacing His with yours, that you can argue with Him over, you will loose that one.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we know BOL, a stuck record replacing His with yours, that you can argue with Him over, you will loose that one.
Translation: "I can't argue that point with you because the Catholic Church IS the only Church that can trace itself back to the Apostles in an unbroken like of Bishops and Popes."

That's pretty much what I thought . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.