The myth of grace-only & easy-believism shattered forever

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am building you a foundation here that you need to have in your life.
look buddy the foundation was laid with Christ not your apostolic doctrine for some reason you fail to get it

Reactions: prism

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
look buddy the foundation was laid with Christ not your apostolic doctrine for some reason you fail to get it
Right, the foundation in Acts 2:38.

That is how sinners get Christ, their foundation, when asking, “what shall we do”?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith isn’t belief.

I disagree with you.

Belief is only ONE component of faith. James 2:19 tells us that even the DEMONS believe the truth about God. If all you have is belief – then you’re NO better off than they are.

Now faith is belief...and James 2:19 speaks about the difference between living and saving faith/belief and that faith/belief which does not save.

A nominal, lukewarm, or shallow faith/belief will not stand the test of time (see Luke 8:13).

Faith that saves is a heart faith that is unto righteousness (Romans 10:10).

TRUE Faith = Belief + Works (Obedience).

Faith does not include within it works.

Eph 2:8, For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9, Not of works, lest any man should boast.

The person in the above scripture is not saved by works. But he is saved by grace through faith. How then does faith include within it works? Faith saves him, works doesn't. If works were included in faith, then the person who is saved by faith would also be saved by works. Yet this is not what the Bible teaches.

Jesus illustrates this in Matt. 7:21 when He said:
Matt. 7:21
Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but ONLY THE ONE WHO DOES THE WILL OF MY FATHER in heaven.

It can be contended that the will of the Father is that we believe on the One whom He hath sent (John 6:38-40) and that those who do will receive eternal life.

But even with that aside, it should be clear that Matthew 7:21 does not contradict Ephesians 2:8-9.

Therefore, faith alone is what saves. And faith is an attitude of obedience, as I have said; so that one who has a living and saving faith in Jesus Christ will walk according to obedience. However, it is not the obedient action that saves (otherwise I could perform one obedient act and consider myself saved, even if I fell away afterwards); but the attitude of obedience that causes me to be obedient for the rest of my life (and thus I am saved, through the attitude and not the action).

One remains lost as long as one continues in disobedience. The only solution of disobedience and being lost is obedience to be saved.

Repentance and faith are forms of obedience for they certainly are not disobedience. Therefore obedience (faith, repentance) must occur before salvation...."obedience unto righteousness".

Again, no example of a person continuing in disobedience that was justified.

obedience is not faith and repentance; but faith and repentance is an attitude that brings obedience.

yup your right everyone else wrong

If he's right, I'm right.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saving themselves
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost......

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized...

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible

Repent and be baptized...
Believeth and is baptized....
I choose the Bible over the kooks
TRANSLATION:
"I have NO comeback for your Biblically-based argument."

Yup, that's what I thought . . .

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
obedience is not faith and repentance; but faith and repentance is an attitude that brings obedience.

Faith and repentance are certainly obedience. Men have been commanded to believe and repent and those that do are OBEYING. One either obeys God or disobeys and faith and repentance are not disobedience but obedience. Hence obedience BEFORE salvation.

Reactions: BreadOfLife

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree with you.

Now faith is belief...and James 2:19 speaks about the difference between living and saving faith/belief and that faith/belief which does not save.

A nominal, lukewarm, or shallow faith/belief will not stand the test of time (see Luke 8:13).

Faith that saves is a heart faith that is unto righteousness (Romans 10:10).
Faith does not include within it works.

Eph 2:8, For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9, Not of works, lest any man should boast.

The person in the above scripture is not saved by works. But he is saved by grace through faith. How then does faith include within it works? Faith saves him, works doesn't. If works were included in faith, then the person who is saved by faith would also be saved by works. Yet this is not what the Bible teaches.

It can be contended that the will of the Father is that we believe on the One whom He hath sent (John 6:38-40) and that those who do will receive eternal life.

But even with that aside, it should be clear that Matthew 7:21 does not contradict Ephesians 2:8-9.

Therefore, faith alone is what saves. And faith is an attitude of obedience, as I have said; so that one who has a living and saving faith in Jesus Christ will walk according to obedience. However, it is not the obedient action that saves (otherwise I could perform one obedient act and consider myself saved, even if i fell away afterwards); but the attitude of obedience that causes me to be obedient for the rest of my life (and thus I am saved, through the attitude and not the action).
WRONG.

What does faith in our Lord Jesus entail?
Here’s what the BIBLE says – and it’s NOT just belief . . .

- Being baptized (Matt. 28:19-20, John 3:5, Rom. 2:29, Rom. 6:1-11, Col. 2:12-17, 1 Peter 3:21)
- Picking up our cross daily to follow him (Matt. 16:24, Luke 9:23)
- Works of mercy and charity (Matt. 19:21, 25:31–46, Luke 18:22)
- Obeying his commandments (John 14:15, 15:10)
- Doing the will of the Father (Matt. 7:21, James 1:22)
- Suffering with Christ (Matt. 10:38, 16:24, Mark 8:34, John 12:24, Rom. 8:17, 2 Cor. 1:5-7, Eph. 3:13, Phil. 1:29, 2 Tim. 1:8, 1 Peter 2:19-21, 4:1-2)

As I stated before – James tells us that even the DEMONS believe in the truth about God - but they lack ONE thing: OBEDIENCE.

That's the difference between belief and faith.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
TRANSLATION:
"I have NO comeback for your Biblically-based argument."

Yup, that's what I thought . . .
Per Catholic teachings, Jesus said he that is newborn after his parents faith and is baptized shall be saved.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Per Catholic teachings, Jesus said he that is newborn after his parents faith and is baptized shall be saved.
That's a preposterous claim

Care to show me this teaching in the Catechism?
I didn't think so . . . .

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost......

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized...
Quote all you like wont change anything , it is by grace we are saved through faith. Where is your faith????

Reactions: mailmandan

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith and repentance are certainly obedience.

Yes, but not the other way around.

WRONG.

- Being baptized (Matt. 28:19-20, John 3:5, Rom. 2:29, Rom. 6:1-11, Col. 2:12-17, 1 Peter 3:21)
- Suffering with Christ (Matt. 10:38, 16:24, Mark 8:34, John 12:24, Rom. 8:17, 2 Cor. 1:5-7, Eph. 3:13, Phil. 1:29, 2 Tim. 1:8, 1 Peter 2:19-21, 4:1-2)

As I stated before – James tells us that even the DEMONS believe in the truth about God - but they lack ONE thing: OBEDIENCE.

None of that shows that faith isn't belief.

What it shows is that there is a saving faith/belief and there is a non-saving faith/belief.

Certain behaviours result out of a living and saving faith/belief.

But even if those behaviours never manifested, living and saving faith/belief will save a man. I can think of one scenario where this might be true...in the case of a man who receives Jesus with a living and saving faith/belief, and dies two minutes later. He had no opportunity to obey the Lord, except in his confession of Jesus as Lord (for with the mouth confession is made unto salvation (Romans 10:10)).

Also, none of the scriptures presented show that baptism, obedience, works, doing, taking up your cross daily, or suffering with Christ are included in faith. i submit that these things will result out of a living and saving faith...they are the fruit that comes from abiding in the vine through faith.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of that shows that faith isn't belief.

What it shows is that there is a saving faith/belief and there is a non-saving faith/belief.

Certain behaviours result out of a living and saving faith/belief.

But even if those behaviours never manifested, living and saving faith/belief will save a man. I can think of one scenario where this might be true...in the case of a man who receives Jesus with a living and saving faith/belief, and dies two minutes later. He had no opportunity to obey the Lord, except in his confession of Jesus as Lord (for with the mouth confession is made unto salvation (Romans 10:10)).

Also, none of the scriptures presented show that baptism, obedience, works, doing, taking up your cross daily, or suffering with Christ are included in faith. i submit that these things will result out of a living and saving faith...they are the fruit that comes from abiding in the vine through faith.
That's a silly premise. A man who comes to faith and dies 2 minutes later is an exception – just like the Thief on the cross was an exception.

NEVER base your doctrines on the exception, but the norm.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.

That's the difference between belief and faith.
WRONG.

Proverbs 26:4-5.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a silly premise. A man who comes to faith and dies 2 minutes later is an exception – just like the Thief on the cross was an exception.

NEVER base your doctrines on the exception, but the norm.
I believe that the norm is spoken of in Romans 4:5...and this means that the thief on the Cross is not the exception but the rule.

And Romans 10:9-10 is most certainly the rule...and the only work mentioned there is confession of Jesus as Lord.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quote all you like wont change anything , it is by grace we are saved through faith. Where is your faith????
You skipped Acts again.
You are reading the saints mail.
Bad habit.