The saint must walk alone

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's non-sequitor, meaning, an invalid argument. It's like saying, No, Airplanes cannot fly because brocolli.
Interesting that you'd see it from such an obtuse perspective.

So, to be clear, Jesus' humble state of owning nothing but the clothes on His back, the very definition of destitute - mind you, has nothing at all to do with humility?

Fascinating.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting that you'd see it from such an obtuse perspective.
How is this obtuse?

The fact that Jesus was destitute does not mean we are not to be in close and loving and joyful fellowship with each other. It's a non-sequitor argument. It's like saying, "You aren't supposed to be alive, after all, Jesus died!"

He became materially poor as a part of making us spiritually rich. Do you disdain His gift? That we can be in joyous and loving communion with each other?

So, to be clear, Jesus' humble state of owning nothing but the clothes on His back, the very definition of destitute - mind you, has nothing at all to do with humility?

It has nothing to do with the false humility of claiming to be so spiritual that no one else measures up, and therefore no one else is fit company for you, and therefore you must walk alone.

Much love!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many of them did. And I have no surprise over those now who may be universally rejected for their faith, just the same, in the Body of Christ, we are one, and we are commanded to assemble, and our live is described in terms like, "the communion of Jesus Christ", the communion of serving, the communion of suffering, the communion of giving, of the Gospel, we do all these things - together. In communion.

Are we not those who are now alive from among the dead? Do we not celebrate and rejoice? Did God create us to love, but not mean for us to share that love with people He puts around us?

Is it the person who has not learned how to humble themself, and to sincerely love, is that the person who maintains "we are to walk alone"?

Much love!
Before I believed the gospel I tried to live righteously in the power of my flesh and failed miserably, but I still thought that I was righteous and that Jesus was my master.

It's a very common thing among professing Christians, especially those that don't accept that the New birth is according to God’s will and timing. About a week ago, my pastor stated flatly from the pulpit that "if you don't remember the moment that you were born again, then you weren't born again." I agree with him, because it just isn't a moment you can experience and then forget.

Reactions: marks

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Jesus being melodramatic when He stated that He didn't even have a place to lay His head? Was He expressing spiritual superiority or a sanctimonious nature?

Was not Jesus the Head or to be the Head of the Body of Christ? When he spoke those words...

"And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head" Matt 8:20

... where was His Body?

Consider the words penned by David a thousand years before Jesus was born in Bethlehem:

Ps 132:3 Surely I will not come into the tabernacle of my house, nor go up into my bed;
Ps 132:4 I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids,
Ps 132:5 Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.

Ps 132:13 For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
Ps 132:14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.

Where is it that He is to lay His head? He had no place but now the Head that is prepared is to connect to the Body of Christ which should or could be you and me.

"And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence." Col 1:18

Brings a different thought to us regarding Zion, does it not? We may speak of Zion as Jerusalem, but it is also a dry barren or desert place,..

Zion:
!wyc Tsiyown (tsee-yone'); Proper Name Location, Strong #: 6726

Zion = "parched place"

1. another name for Jerusalem especially in the prophetic books

...such as you and I were until God sent Life to us through Jesus:

"He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye." Deut 32:10

"Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert" Isaiah 43:19

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo Reminds me of Psalm 51....
That's where the doctrine comes from. When David was annointed by Samuel (as a youth), he recieved the anointing to be king of Israel. Though it was many years before Saul died, scripture tells us that God removed His Spirit from Saul, also given through the anointing of the prophet, and it was under evil influence that Saul hunted David, seeking his life. In all those years David wrote prophetically under the anointing that He received, including the sufferings of Christ on the cross in psalm 22.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was not Jesus the Head or to be the Head of the Body of Christ? When he spoke those words...

"And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head" Matt 8:20

... where was His Body?

Consider the words penned by David a thousand years before Jesus was born in Bethlehem:

Ps 132:3 Surely I will not come into the tabernacle of my house, nor go up into my bed;
Ps 132:4 I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids,
Ps 132:5 Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.

Ps 132:13 For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
Ps 132:14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.

Where is it that He is to lay His head? He had no place but now the Head that is prepared is to connect to the Body of Christ which should or could be you and me.

"And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence." Col 1:18

Brings a different thought to us regarding Zion, does it not? We may speak of Zion as Jerusalem, but it is also a dry barren or desert place,..

Zion:
!wyc Tsiyown (tsee-yone'); Proper Name Location, Strong #: 6726

Zion = "parched place"

1. another name for Jerusalem especially in the prophetic books

...such as you and I were until God sent Life to us through Jesus:

"He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye." Deut 32:10

"Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert" Isaiah 43:19

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10
Most Christians want to be like Jesus, but some want to be Jesus. I'm not sure that the latter ever met Him.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, I do know that. :)

But it's not worth arguing. Suffice it to say there is going to be a great deal of friction on a forum of this nature. That's the price of allowing free speech on matters of religion, which despite the cost I am strongly in favor of in many respects. Some forums behave more like churches would. This one is a genuinely open forum, which is a much different animal.
Many years ago on another forum I took on the job of moderator. My own beliefs and convictions very soon too often conflicted with the forum's rules and guidelines. The end result for me was resigning as a moderator. I was expected to do things that to me were wrong. I have never forgotten and have never again been tempted to serve that way.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the money here! The difference is significant, but many likely do not understand it. How many really want to...?
Well, the problem as I see it is that we usually write about what we aspire to be, rather than what we really are. But, even if we're sincere, we're not really interacting with people, but with stuff they've written, electronic parodies of who we really are. To paraphrase scripture, the more we say, the more we transgress. We don't necessarily mean to, but the tongue is a big problem for all humanity.

Writing things out gives us more opportunity to consider our words carefully and hopefully transgress less frequently, but I guarantee that most people here would never say the same things to your face that they have no problem writing in anonymity and hidden behind fake identity. What freedom to transgress the commandments! But, God is not mocked.

I started attending a Spirit filled congregation because, though people attending are no different than people here, the flesh is more suppressed in the presence of the saints than it is in any artificial venue. Social media, even the Christian variety, only serves to promote vanity and pride.
It isn't even possible to humble yourself before a cell phone, tablet or computer (and to do so would seem idolatrous.)

These forums are the realm of imaginary fellowship. Virtual reality is unreal. The person here who pats you on the back today, can stab you in the back tomorrow, and feel justified in it, because this isn't really you, nor is it really me. It's just flawed and frequently sinful electronic communication.

However, we're still fully accountable before God, even when we hide behind false identifies and pretend to be something that we aren't. I'm still looking for the ministry that the Lord would have me do in my local congregation and I don't care if it's just cleaning toilets or washing windows. I've only been attending for three weeks, but as I establish myself among the brethren, the Lord will make my place for service manifest. His will be done. But, I won't participate in this circus of confusion any longer than necessary. Most of the cultic types here would not be allowed to stay long in a congregation of the saints if they persisted in unsound doctrine, divisiveness, and seeking vain glory. That might be why they're here in the first place.

Satan roams about seeking whom he may devour and if that's the fate of those who rebel against scripture and isolate themselves so they might sin freely, then so be it.
Scripture tells us to give such up for the destruction of the flesh and I'm in agreement with His word. Trying to teach on a public forum is a fools errand and trying to learn anything from a world of opposing opinion isn't exactly wise.

I will, however, withdraw in victory, as that is what's pleasing to my Lord and His testimony. That means that the sword comes out until all opposition is silenced. I've had to do this before and by the grace of God and the power of His word, I'll make short work of this as well. Amen.

Reactions: marks and amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many years ago on another forum I took on the job of moderator. My own beliefs and convictions very soon too often conflicted with the forum's rules and guidelines. The end result for me was resigning as a moderator. I was expected to do things that to me were wrong. I have never forgotten and have never again been tempted to serve that way.

I don't know that I could do it either. I think it takes a special calling, so I am grateful for those who can, but for me I would be too tempted to let personal feelings get in the way at some point, and there are too many stories of moderator's operating with a bias out there already.

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 1:2 KJV
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

This is the one verse that specifically deals with the subject of walking in joy in the midst of trials and sufferings, though Paul's teachings in Thessalonians and Philippians are similar when read in proper context.

But regarding this one, why does one need to "count it all joy" if it is joy already?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the one verse that specifically deals with the subject of walking in joy in the midst of trials and sufferings, though Paul's teachings in Thessalonians and Philippians are similar when read in proper context.

But regarding this one, why does one need to "count it all joy" if it is joy already?
Because we live with two minds, the mind of the flesh, and the mind of Christ. The mind of Christ lives in joy, the mind of the flesh is all over the map.

Just like we are to reckon ourselves dead to sin. We ARE dead to sin, but we don't always account ourselves that we, and we sin, forgetting we've been cleansed.

Taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, we eliminate those thoughts that don't agree with Scripture, and we hold to those thoughts that do, in this way, we live a life of faith.

God allows us to be tested, and our life suddenly turns unmanageable, or painful, or threatening. Our reponse shows how we are living, whether according to the spirit, or according to the flesh. When we respond with fear, outrage, bitterness and anger, impatience, and so on, those are fleshy responses, and should be accounted as such. When we respond with trust, and patience, and rejoicing, and self contro, and so on, these are of course the spirit responses.

The spirit child of God rejoices. Paul wrote, Rejoice evermore. The fleshy man does not rejoice. The command is in line with, "Put on the new man".

Count it all joy when you are tested, as this puts on the new man.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many of them did. And I have no surprise over those now who may be universally rejected for their faith, just the same... Is it the person who has not learned how to humble themself, and to sincerely love, is that the person who maintains "we are to walk alone"?

In other words, shame on the prophets for not walking in humility. Daniel, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Jeremiah, Joel, Hosea and others all walked in pride and arrogance, and should have repented of their sins before God and all Israel. In fact, they were not only arrogant but also false teachers, for walking alone when to do so was to suggest they were rejecting God's people.

Mark, they didn't reject God's people, God's people rejected them. If they did not continue to walk alone after they were rejected, the only other choice would have been to reject God completely and not walk with Him at all anymore. You would rather they had done that?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Romans 5:1-5 KJV
1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4) And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

These two are the same word, "boastful rejoicing", and gives the reason we rejoice, because we know the good thing God is working in us.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because we live with two minds, the mind of the flesh, and the mind of Christ. The mind of Christ lives in joy, the mind of the flesh is all over the map.

Just like we are to reckon ourselves dead to sin. We ARE dead to sin, but we don't always account ourselves that we, and we sin, forgetting we've been cleansed.

Taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, we eliminate those thoughts that don't agree with Scripture, and we hold to those thoughts that do, in this way, we live a life of faith.

God allows us to be tested, and our life suddenly turns unmanageable, or painful, or threatening. Our reponse shows how we are living, whether according to the spirit, or according to the flesh. When we respond with fear, outrage, bitterness and anger, impatience, and so on, those are fleshy responses, and should be accounted as such. When we respond with trust, and patience, and rejoicing, and self contro, and so on, these are of course the spirit responses.

The spirit child of God rejoices. Paul wrote, Rejoice evermore. The fleshy man does not rejoice. The command is in line with, "Put on the new man".

Count it all joy when you are tested, as this puts on the new man.

I'm gonna have to tell it like it is here: This is a GARBAGE teaching disguising itself as wisdom, and a complete perversion of Paul's teachings on the new man over into an argument for denying the reality of sufferings.

How is it that Jesus taught "Blessed are those who mourn" if mourning would be "in the flesh" and only part of "the old man" if one did?

Mark, when you pervert Christian teaching this badly in the name of "discussing doctrine," I am sinning against both God and man by even entertaining you in it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words, shame on the prophets for not walking in humility. Daniel, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Jeremiah, Joel, Hosea and others all walked in pride and arrogance, and should have repented of their sins before God and all Israel. In fact, they were not only arrogant but also false teachers, for walking alone when to do so was to suggest they were rejecting God's people.

Mark, they didn't reject God's people, God's people rejected them. If they did not continue to walk alone after they were rejected, the only other choice would have been to reject God completely and not walk with Him at all anymore. You would rather they had done that?

No, not in other words. That's not what I'm saying. Not at all!

The fact that God sent Isaiah on a barefoot tour of the Middle East does not negate what God is doing in the body of Christ. And the fact that God intends unity for us does not impugn Isaiah's service.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm gonna have to tell it like it is here: This is a GARBAGE teaching disguising itself as wisdom, and a complete perversion of Paul's teachings on the new man over into an argument for denying the reality of sufferings.

How is it that Jesus taught "Blessed are those who mourn" if mourning would be "in the flesh" and only part of "the old man" if one did?

Mark, when you pervert Christian teaching this badly in the name of "discussing doctrine," I am sinning against both God and man by even entertaining you in it.
Give it some thought.

I don't deny the reality of suffering. What I deny is the power of suffering to subject you to it's miseries. It's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Seriously, give this some thought.

We can determine the source of our responses by what those responses are. When you respond to a circumstance in fear, rest assured, that is NOT the spirit child of God being afraid. It is the flesh man of Adam, that is, a purely bodily response. Paul and Silus were in physical misery, I expect, in the Phillipi jail, yet they were singing, I'm thinking releasing in song the joy they felt in their hearts.

The life of the spirit is greater than the flesh life. In my flesh I suffer, but in my spirit I bask in God's love for me. I can live in the suffering, which is to live according to flesh, or live in God's eternal love, which is to live according to the spirit.

It's not about whether we will or will not know pain and loss, we will. The question really is whether we will let our minds be ruled by pain and suffering, or will we let our minds be ruled by Christ, with love and peace.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessed are those who mourn . . . why? And to what end?

Better to go to the house of mourning rather than the house of mirth . . . why? To what end? Did Soloman mean that you should live in a funeral home forever in tears? I don't see that at all.

Did Jesus mean that we are to be in lives of mourning, and now we are to forget all those places that tell us to rejoice, that we are a people of rejoicing, that even the troubles are to us joy? Maybe mourning is the entrance into that life of rejoicing?

What is that passage . . . Godly sorrow leads to repentance. It's like in Hebrews, no chastisement is joyous, but grievous. While it lasts. Afterward, the peaceable fruits of righteousness. The fruit of the spirit, righteousness in our lives. The abundant life. Love and joy and peace, real love, real joy, real peace.

Even when it hurts. Even when there isn't enough. Though the stores are empty and armies are on their way . . .

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:22-23 KJV
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

1 Thessalonians 5:16 KJV
Rejoice evermore.

James 1:2 KJV
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

Romans 5:3-5 KJV
3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4) And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Glorying and joy. Real joy!

Much love!
When i see the lovely reminder in galations about the fruits of the SPIRIT
i always bring its companion from ephesians so as we can know and understand something .
So here goes .
The FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT ITSELF is in all GOODNESS RIGHTEOUSNESS AND TRUTH
PROVING what is acceptable to GOD . Notice that says what is acceptable to GOD , not to men and the generation at hand .
SO if we have the SPIRIT we would approve and love what GOD calls good , and we would hate evil false doctrine
that contradicts GOD . Just a reminder my friend .
Cause in this generation i see a false humanistic version getting taught . Another love , a joy that joys in evil , a peace
which cannot and willnot reconcile man to GOD , a longsuffering that wont correct , a gentlessness that will hug everthing yet wont correct ,
A goodness which GOD would consider evil , a faith that is dead and is in men not GOD , not CHRIST , and so on and so forth .
Satan knows how to use words too MARK . His men do too . THEY got them a love god that aint GOD NOR IS IT LOVE at all ,
ITS OF the DRAGON and they THINK ITS OF GOD .