The STATE Of the dead

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book
of Moses, how in the bush God Spake Unto him, saying, I AM The God of
Abraham, and The God of Isaac, and The God of Jacob? He is not The God
of the dead, but The God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err."
(Mark 12:26-27)​

Are the "spirits and souls" of the dead, as some believe, actually
unconscious (do not know anything), or worse, annihilated?

“For to me to live is CHRIST, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21)

CONFIDENCE in death?:
(1) "...Rachel travailed, and she had hard labour....And it came to pass, as her soul
was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father
called him Benjamin. And Rachel died, and was buried..." (Genesis 35:16-19)

(2) "And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels
into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell
he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus
in his bosom." (Luke 16:22-23) =

Their souls that departed And were "still conscious," Correct?

(3) Before JESUS' Resurrection: He and the repentant thief, dying on crosses:
"And he said unto Jesus, LORD, remember me when Thou comest into Thy kingdom.
And Jesus Said unto him, Verily I Say unto thee, To day shalt thou be With Me in
paradise." (Luke 23:42-43) Their souls departed in death, Correct?

(4) After JESUS' Resurrection (Soul Returned From paradise, And Re-united
With His Body), And His Precious BLOOD "Opened Up HEAVEN!":

"And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them
that were slain for The Word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And
they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O LORD, Holy and True, dost Thou
not Judge and Avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?" (Revelation 6:9-10)

Conscious, With their memories, present with The LORD JESUS CHRIST, Correct?

(5) Past and future, so, In the Present Day, where do "members" of The
Body Of CHRIST go, When our souls depart in death? From Paul, our apostle:

"Now He That Hath Wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, Who Also Hath Given
unto us The Earnest of The Spirit. Therefore we are always Confident, knowing that,
whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from The LORD: ( For we walk by
faith, not by sight: ) We are Confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from
the body, and To Be Present With The LORD!" (2 Corinthians 5:5-8) absent soul,
Correct?

Paul further teaches: "For to me to live is Christ, and to die Is Gain!" (Philippians 1:21)

"For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to Depart {soul},
And To Be With CHRIST; which Is Far Better!" (Philippians 1:23)

Our souls With CHRIST In Heaven?

Conclusion:
critics' No confidence sleep/UNconscious/cease to exist are
Not "Gain, And Far Better!", Correct?

GRACE And Peace...

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one will find anywhere in the scriptures that human beings have immortal souls. What you're teaching is that a person doesn't die when you teach humans have immortal souls. You believe what that serpent said to Eve in the garden of Eden that she wouldn't die. The person who was known as Eve died. She died, she's not conscious or aware of her surroundings, she doesn't exist. Death is the opposite of life. If you're a living person, then you are conscious and aware of your surroundings, you exist. So you're teaching that the serpent was telling the truth and that it was God who lied, because you're teaching that Eve is conscious and award of her surroundings, that she still exists, that she's still living. I disagree with what you teaching.

The Bible gives much enlightenment on the soul. It also contains comforting and cheering information on the condition of the dead, and it provides hope for our dead loved ones. The Bible’s description of the human soul is found at Genesis 2:7, “YHWH God proceeded to form the man out of the dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul. Please note, man did not receive a soul, rather, he came to be a living soul. Hence man is a soul, is a person, is a sentient being. Therefore, humans do not possess a soul, but humans are souls. A living human soul has two vital constituents: fleshly body plus life-force (spirit). Separate the life-force (spirit) from the body, and there is no living soul, no living person, no sentient being. The soul or living person becomes nonexistent, because that person no longer lives. That human is no longer “a breather,” and therefore, is no longer a soul, a living person, a sentient being. It is like water made of two gases, hydrogen and oxygen. By combining these two gases in correct proportions, water is formed. Extract one of the gases from the compound, and the water ceases to exist.

So, at death you do not become a disembodied soul. For the simple reason that your fleshly body is a part of your soul. When the body dies, the soul, the living person, the sentient being is dead, it ceases to exist. Neither do you become a disembodied spirit. Why not? Because the spirit is the impersonal life-force, which animates the living soul, the living person, the sentient being, and which empowers the soul to think, move, and live. When the life-force, or spirit, is extinguished within the living soul, the effect is similar to what happens when electricity is withdrawn from a light bulb. The light is extinguished. Where does the light go? It simply becomes nonexistent. It is for this reason that death is the very opposite of life. And that is why death came to mankind as a punishment for disobedience to the Creator of life not as a reward which is what eternal life is a reward not a punishment.

You're teaching all persons have eternal life, since you're teaching the soul is immortal. However the scriptures don't say human beings have immortal souls nor do the scriptures ever teach that eternal life is in any way a punishment. Eternal life has always been a gift for the righteous but you're teaching all humans righteous and unrighteous have eternal life because you teach that all humans have immortal souls even though the scriptures themselves don't say that.

Reactions: face2face

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

CONFIDENCE in death?:
(1) "...Rachel travailed, and she had hard labour....And it came to pass, as her soul
was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father

And Jesus Said unto him, Verily I Say unto thee, To day shalt thou be With Me in

they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O LORD, Holy and True, dost Thou
not Judge and Avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?" (Revelation 6:9-10)

unto us The Earnest of The Spirit. Therefore we are always Confident, knowing that,
whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from The LORD: ( For we walk by
faith, not by sight: ) We are Confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from
Correct?

Paul further teaches: "For to me to live is Christ, and to die Is Gain!" (Philippians 1:21)

Conclusion:

GRACE And Peace...

Every idea you presented is correct Biblically except for one. Jesus' flesh body was raised and then 'quickened' by The Spirit. Jesus is the "last Adam" Paul mentioned that was made "a quickening spirit" per 1 Corinthians 15:45. In Matthew 27:50-53, we are shown that Jesus was resurrected as soon as He died on the cross. Our flesh body is NOT raised like Jesus' flesh was and then transfigured. That is the very point Apostle Paul was teaching in 1 Corinthians 15:44-53, that the flesh of those still alive on earth when Jesus comes will be 'changed' to the "spiritual body", or what Paul also called the "image of the heavenly".

Even Lord Jesus proclaimed that change, just that few even believe what He said...

Matt 22:30
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

KJV

That meaning "as the angels" is about that future "spiritual body", or "image of the heavenly", that Apostle Paul taught all will be changed to. That's what the "spiritual body" is, the body of that other dimension of the heavenly, and that's the kind of body also that the angels have.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe all souls are immortal… everyone who has ever passed away as been resurrected, be it of Judgment or contempt and that of life.

Jesus words can be trusted.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a soul is still subject to the "second death" of Revelation 20, which is the casting of one's soul-spirit into the future "lake of fire", that means their soul-spirit is NOT immortal.

Thus immortality of the soul belongs ONLY to those who remain in Christ Jesus...

John 5:24
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My word, and believeth on Him That sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
KJV

Per Revelation 20, we are shown only ONE group not subject to the "second death", and that is those of the "first resurrection" that reign with Jesus.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

CONFIDENCE in death?:

Correct?

Conclusion:

GRACE And Peace...

Do you believe in the resurrection Grace? Likely you do, so where are those who died located, and what is their state until they are resurrected?