The Weapons of our Warfare

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 10:1-6
1) Now I Paul myself beseech you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ, who in presence am base among you, but being absent am bold toward you:
2) But I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh.
3) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
4) (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)
5) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6) And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

@Hidden In Him was correct about this passage, it's first application is towards the public defending of the faith, and I think in particular within the assembly.

Paul is saying here that he wants them to get themselves sorted out before he comes, because if he has to address the issues when he's there, well, his weapons of warfare aren't what you'd think, they are spiritual, mighty through God, it's nicer to not need them, better to not be contrary to God - you're not going to win!

His weapons are powerful for,

Pulling down strongholds
Casting down imaginations, literally, reasonings,
Casting down every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God,
Bringing into captivity every thought to obedience,
Having a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when their obedience is fulfilled.

This "readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled", it tells us Paul's target for his words is the assembly he is addressing.

I find this describes my internal struggles as well. As I compare translations, and read other people's thoughts on this passage it seems I'm not alone in this.

While I virtually never will quote from The Living Bible, I did find it interesting in this place:
These weapons can break down every proud argument against God and every wall that can be built to keep men from finding him. With these weapons I can capture rebels and bring them back to God and change them into men whose hearts’ desire is obedience to Christ.

As I think about renewing the mind, this passage seems to describe the process very well.

What are these weapons, by which we can subdue our enemies? Within or without?

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This "readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled"

2 Corinthians 7:8-12 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. [9] Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. [10] For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. [11] For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter. [12] Wherefore, though I wrote unto you, I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong, nor for his cause that suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear unto you.

Tecarta Bible

Reactions: marks

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2 Corinthians 7:8-12 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. [9] Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. [10] For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. [11] For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter. [12] Wherefore, though I wrote unto you, I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong, nor for his cause that suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear unto you.

Tecarta Bible
Allow it to seep in.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 10:1-6
1) Now I Paul myself beseech you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ, who in presence am base among you, but being absent am bold toward you:
2) But I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh.
4) (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)
5) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6) And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

@Hidden In Him was correct about this passage, it's first application is towards the public defending of the faith, and I think in particular within the assembly.

Hey! Wonderful passage!

I always love discussing the word itself, because it just has this way of teaching, even if a sermon or a piece doesn't necessarily (not yours, just in general, LoL). But in reading these six verses together I just realized something I've always kinda wondered about: What did verse 6 mean? But it's obvious now, given how you wrote it. Paul was saying he'd been set for the defense of the truth, and the first matter at hand when he got there would be to correct them if their teachings were off. But once their obedience was "fulfilled" i.e. taken care of in the matter, he would then turn to dealing with the "imaginations" i.e. arguments the heretics and unbelievers were using to attack the truth, and tear it down, like mental "strongholds" being erected to attack and assail the word of God.

Thanks again for posting on the scriptures themselves, Mark. Gives the Spirit something to work with, praise God Almighty.

Reactions: marks

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul was saying he'd been set for the defense of the truth, and the first matter at hand when he got there would be to correct them if their teachings were off. But once their obedience was "fulfilled"

Any input on 2 Corinthians 2:1-11 But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness. [2] For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me? [3] And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all. [4] For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you. [5] But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all. [6] Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many. [7] So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow. [8] Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him. [9] For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things. [10] To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ; [11] Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

The weapons of our warfare. 2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any input on 2 Corinthians 2:1-11 But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness. [2] For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me? [3] And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all. [4] For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you. [5] But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all. [6] Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many. [7] So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow. [8] Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him. [9] For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things. [10] To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ; [11] Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

The weapons of our warfare. 2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
?

Hi Victory!

You'd have to give me a specific question in order to comment. There's kind of a lot there. :)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always love discussing the word itself, because it just has this way of teaching, even if a sermon or a piece doesn't necessarily
Yes, this is why I like quoting the passages, because even if my words are off, God's Word never is!

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Weapons of our warfare? In the passage on the armour of God in Ephesians, the only weapon detailed was the sword, which is the word of God.
Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Nothing in the above passage or anywhere in scripture is there any suggestion that we are to go elsewhere other than the scripture for truth. Not man. Not tradition. Not the world. Now that doesn't mean that there is no man that doesn't have a knowledge of truth. For example, you would be hard pressed to find my testimony anywhere in scripture. Yet we overcome by the blood of the Lamb, and the word of our testimony, and that testimony is our witness...as valid and as sacred as if repeated before the heavenly court and the Supreme judge of the universe, but the scriptures, the Bible, as many have said previous, the Bible and the Bible only is to be the basis of our faith and the foundation of all practice and doctrine. The scriptures are that sword. And it's our only weapon in defense of the gospel and the eternal purposes of God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Weapons of our warfare? In the passage on the armour of God in Ephesians, the only weapon detailed was the sword, which is the word of God.
Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Nothing in the above passage or anywhere in scripture is there any suggestion that we are to go elsewhere other than the scripture for truth. Not man. Not tradition. Not the world. Now that doesn't mean that there is no man that doesn't have a knowledge of truth. For example, you would be hard pressed to find my testimony anywhere in scripture. Yet we overcome by the blood of the Lamb, and the word of our testimony, and that testimony is our witness...as valid and as sacred as if repeated before the heavenly court and the Supreme judge of the universe, but the scriptures, the Bible, as many have said previous, the Bible and the Bible only is to be the basis of our faith and the foundation of all practice and doctrine. The scriptures are that sword. And it's our only weapon in defense of the gospel and the eternal purposes of God.
A note on 'our testimony'.
We can understand this as meaning our personal story or we can understand it to be our testimony (our reality) to the vindication of the character of God.

When the multitudes and heavenly hosts praise God they are vindicating his character which for many ages has been maligned.

Jesus' whole reality was vindicating God's character......thus we have the expressions in Revelation 'the word or our testimony' and 'the testimony of Jesus. I see these as one and the same.

Thus, 'to the law and to the testimony'....they are synonymous. The law is not opposed to the testimony and the the testimony not opposed to the law.

Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A note on 'our testimony'.
We can understand this as meaning our personal story or we can understand it to be our testimony (our reality) to the vindication of the character of God.

When the multitudes and heavenly hosts praise God they are vindicating his character which for many ages has been maligned.

Jesus' whole reality was vindicating God's character......thus we have the expressions in Revelation 'the word or our testimony' and 'the testimony of Jesus. I see these as one and the same.

Thus, 'to the law and to the testimony'....they are synonymous. The law is not opposed to the testimony and the the testimony not opposed to the law.
Yes. If our testimony...our personal story so to speak, doesn't harmonize with a God "of love", the life of Christ, or even the law, which is summarized by the two "greatest commandments", then we have someone else to thank for our lives other than He who those multitudes and heavenly hosts praise and worship.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nothing in the above passage or anywhere in scripture is there any suggestion that we are to go elsewhere other than the scripture for truth. Not man. Not tradition. Not the world.

never read Isaiah 8:20 or if I have I wasn’t paying attention. Thank you.

You said “Nothing in the above passage or anywhere in scripture is there any suggestion that we are to go elsewhere other than the scripture for truth.” While I do agree (if I understood you correctly), also “Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. [40] And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.” John 5:39-40

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This commentary by Matthew Henry makes this passage clearer:

1. The power of his preaching, v. 3, 5. Here observe, (1.) The work of the ministry is a warfare, not after the flesh indeed, for it is a spiritual warfare, with spiritual enemies and for spiritual purposes. And though ministers walk in the flesh, or live in the body, and in the common affairs of life act as other men, yet in their work and warfare they must not go by the maxims of the flesh, nor should they design to please the flesh: this must be crucified with its affections and lusts; it must be mortified and kept under. (2.) The doctrines of the gospel and discipline of the church are the weapons of this warfare; and these are not carnal: outward force, therefore, is not the method of the gospel, but strong persuasions, by the power of truth and the meekness of wisdom. A good argument this is against persecution for conscience’ sake: conscience is accountable to God only; and people must be persuaded to God and their duty, not driven by force of arms.

And so the weapons of our warfare are mighty, or very powerful; the evidence of truth is convincing and cogent. This indeed is through God, or owing to him, because they are his institutions, and accompanied with his blessing, which makes all opposition to fall before his victorious gospel. We may here observe, [1.] What opposition is made against the gospel by the powers of sin and Satan in the hearts of men. Ignorance, prejudices, beloved lusts, are Satan’s strong-holds in the souls of some; vain imaginations, carnal reasonings, and high thoughts, or proud conceits, in others, exalt themselves against the knowledge of God, that is, by these ways the devil endeavours to keep men from faith and obedience to the gospel, and secures his possession of the hearts of men, as his own house or property. But then observe, [2.] The conquest which the word of God gains. These strong-holds are pulled down by the gospel as the means, through the grace and power of God accompanying it as the principal efficient cause. Note, The conversion of the soul is the conquest of Satan in that soul.

As Paul notes elsewhere, the offensive weapon of spiritual warfare is the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.