Thinking of Converting to Catholicism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm going to take it to the next level. I've decided to the the RCIA. When I've done that I will know if I want to join the RCC or not.

Most of you know I'm an Anglcian whoes beliefs are very similar to Roman Catholicism but I'm getting a bit disolusioned with the Chufch of England because I don't feel it is the chruch I gerw up with. I'm annoyed with the Vicar (Parish priest because he doesn't respect our traditions and he has no people skills), the Diocese, the Bishop, the Archbishop of Cantabury (because he wants British Muslims to have Sharia law and he is also a Druid). I'm not happy about women Bishops, I don't think people are catechised properly and I'm quite frankly depressed when all I see in the fews on a Sunday is grey heads.

Despie all oft he I still love the CofE and don't want to leave but the RCC is offering what my own church is struggling to deliver. I think the ahrdest thing would be the guilt of leaving a struggling church.

So I'll do the RCIA to see if the RCC is right for me.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
No similar experience.

I'm confused about this Archbishop of Cantabury. Why would he be in favor of Sharia Law, and he's a druid? I didn't even know there were druids today.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Before he was the Archbishop of Catabury he was the Bishop of Wales and at a Welsh gathering of people of all different religions a Pagan group pulbically acknowledged him as a Druid, which he showed no objections to.

As for his support of SHaria, you can google thatt. He said a few years ago that he was in favour of allowing Muslims to have special Sharia courts. They would be optional and they would only be allowed to practic a wtered down version of the Sharia, so no beheadings or hand choppings.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is great news Templar! RCIA is a good way to determine what you believe.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Aspen, you went from being a Presbytarian to a Roman Catholic. Can you tell me about your experience and how you dealt with the transition.

Did you do the RCIA?
Would I need to be confirmed again?
would I have to have the same 1st communion ceremony that kids have?

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You would be welcome to join us, as are the many preachers who are moving across due to their disagreement with the ever-changing protestant denominations.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Dr Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_zmXa_830M&NR=1&feature=fvwp

As an individual I can't go through the new system that Pope Benedict has approved. If I decide to do it I would be converting on my own.

The RCIA will allow me to make an informed choice but perhaps I will try another Anglican Parish before I decide to elave.

Cobbler

Jan 24, 2011
Templar.

Firstly, I would ask that you consider my reply in your heart, and not simply dismiss it as argumentism. - I wish to help.

I and my family have had experience within the Anglican and Catholic Churches - approx 5 years in the Anglican church and 9 years in the Catholic church - I now belong to a Pentecostal church and I also endorse Evangelical & Reformed Baptist denominations etc

Secondly - A massive warning to you. THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS NOT CHRISTIAN. - Catholics do not beleive in salvation through the atonement of Christ. That is why they must confess to men regularly, and have to pray certain prayers or "penance, for forgiveness" - Any church or faith that does not beleive in 100% atonement by faith in Christ alone is not Christian.

I understand your comment fully regarding the CofE Church - and sadly it has become uneffective over the last 20 years. Also, sadly it has become more like the Catholic church with regard to "traditions" - and might I add I also do not agree with women bishops, gay bishops, sharia law etc.

With regard to "traditions" - Ask yourself, did Christ respect the traditions of the Pharisees? No. Their traditions were self-righteous acts in order to make them look holy to men, but in fact their hearts were evil and far from God. - God looks at the heart.

Lastly - I urge you to reconsider another option. Because many Anglicans feel the only other option is the Catholic route - this is not the case. I recommend a baptist church, as this will be more similar to Anglican ways than say Pentecostal or Methodist. Try different denominations (But not Catholic) and ask God to open your eyes and your heart to show you where you belong.

Again - I post this in love and the utmost respect for you - please do not simply dismiss it.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Thanks for the adivice but Evangelical Christianity is just not for me, I'm disolusioned with my parish because the current priest does not respect Sacramental traditions like the proper vestments, incense, using the lavabo before communion. This is because we have to share a priest with another parish and he is moreEvangelical than we are used to, now we are stuck with him. My friend has gone off to join the Strict and Particular Baptists because she hates tradition and liturgy but I love it. I love the Baptist traditions but they just don't connect wihth me.

Also I do believe the RCC is truly Christian . I eally do.

However, I'm trying another Parish first.

Jesus did not respect the traditons of the Pharases but he did respect Jewish traditions as a whole. It would be the rquivelant of not liking the DOminicans or the Franciscans today.

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Cobbler it is such an insult state
The Catholic Church is not Christian. Comments like yours are truly misleading to readers. We do Not merely believe in salvation through works/acts but also in Grace ie
Gods riches at Christs expense. Faith through belief and study of scripture. We could be equally condescending about the development of Protestantism. I assume you have read up well on Luther and the exact historical developments?
This is not 1600, there have been many many developments since the reformation and counter reformation.
If not there wouldnt be the following occuring:

In excess of 900 laity have already moved to the Catholic Church and have been waiting for their clergy to complete training for Catholic priesthood at a seminary in West London.
(from Christian Post today)

Ps Templar follow your heart as you pray to Christ and try not to be affected too much by the Catholic bashing that occurs so readily on here.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen, you went from being a Presbytarian to a Roman Catholic. Can you tell me about your experience and how you dealt with the transition.

Did you do the RCIA?
Would I need to be confirmed again?
would I have to have the same 1st communion ceremony that kids have?

I found the liturgy to be uncomfortable at the beginning - I am still not a big fan of it and how many people seem to get caught up in the details. The Mass is a mystical experience for me, not a mechanical one. I was attracted to Catholicism after a talk I had with a Catholic friend - then I read A Cloistered Walk by Kathleen Norris - she is a Benedictine Oblate, but decided to remain Presbyterian. I also read Seven Storey Mountain, by Thomas Merton. I enjoyed the people in RCIA the most - 8 were Presbyterian. The good thing is there is no pressure to join the church and you can stay in the classes as long as you want.

I did go through RCIA - I have been through it many times, actually because I have sponsored several people who went through the class
You will have to be confirmed, but not baptized
You will be confirmed with the adults in your class.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Would I do a 1st Confession and a 1st communion before confirmation or would I be confirmed and then given 1st communion?

As an Anglican you had to be confirmed before you could recieve communion so my first communion was made on the day of my confirmation?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would I do a 1st Confession and a 1st communion before confirmation or would I be confirmed and then given 1st communion?

As an Anglican you had to be confirmed before you could recieve communion so my first communion was made on the day of my confirmation?

I am actually not positive on this point - I;ve heard that Anglicans can take communion in the RCC because they have holy orders.

avoice

May 17, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm going to take it to the next level. I've decided to the the RCIA. When I've done that I will know if I want to join the RCC or not.

Most of you know I'm an Anglcian whoes beliefs are very similar to Roman Catholicism but I'm getting a bit disolusioned with the Chufch of England because I don't feel it is the chruch I gerw up with. I'm annoyed with the Vicar (Parish priest because he doesn't respect our traditions and he has no people skills), the Diocese, the Bishop, the Archbishop of Cantabury (because he wants British Muslims to have Sharia law and he is also a Druid). I'm not happy about women Bishops, I don't think people are catechised properly and I'm quite frankly depressed when all I see in the fews on a Sunday is grey heads.

Despie all oft he I still love the CofE and don't want to leave but the RCC is offering what my own church is struggling to deliver. I think the ahrdest thing would be the guilt of leaving a struggling church.

What church one attends is a personal matter asking men's opinions will get you no where men will argue this til the cows come home and never get you any closer to an answer just more opinions.

The question is what does God say

firstly understand this: God could care less what name is over the door of your church

Religion is only the way one chooses to worship and fellowship ..Its a choice of what traditions you prefer that's all. It has little to do with being a Christian

Being a Christian is a way of life we practice 24/7.
We are judged or rewarded by whats in our heart and how we live/behave ..not what church we attend.

Gods Word has one thing to say about religion you can read it in Jam.1:26-27

Secondly God lists the requirements a Pastor or church Elder must poses to be qualified in his eyes you can find these things here First Timothy 3:1-7:and Titus 1:5-9

Thirdly..Most today really do not understand what church is to be

Evangelism ..is not church in the biblical sense...it exists to spread the Good news and plant a seed its called milk as its for a babe

the same way one can not live on only milk ... the milk of Evangelism will sustain no one. Its where we start not where it ends.

Once an Evangelist has introduced one to the Good News they were to find a Pastor to teach them the meat or substance of the Word of God ... All those who can not progress past evangelism are in danger of being mislead.

Where does that leave one its pretty simple if your church/Pastor isn't teaching you Gods meat/truths get out ..

You have no loyalty to any man, nor any of his churches, nor his traditions.

You have one responsibility an that's to your Father and he tells you what he thinks true religion is in James as I posted above.

The rest is not religion its ..Christianity being Christ men ..learning Gods Truths and what he teaches one about the way you are to live your life.That is to follow in the footsteps of Christ. Learn what all that means ..that's where God wants your attention.

In fact he sums it up for you ..Love thy neighbor as thyself ..
discover the true in depth meaning of that and you will understand what being a Christian is.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Aspen,

Anglicans can take communion in Catholic churches when there is no nearby Anglcian/Episcopalian church. The same goes for confession and extremunction.

So I could take communion in Lourdes or Santiago de Compostella for example but I could take communion in my local Catholic church.

The RCIA will be a great chacne for me to learn, discuss, listen to other's experiecne and make an informed choice.

I have resolved to seek spiritual direction before making a decision.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen,

Anglicans can take communion in Catholic churches when there is no nearby Anglcian/Episcopalian church. The same goes for confession and extremunction.

So I could take communion in Lourdes or Santiago de Compostella for example but I could take communion in my local Catholic church.

The RCIA will be a great chacne for me to learn, discuss, listen to other's experiecne and make an informed choice.

I have resolved to seek spiritual direction before making a decision.

Excellent! I will pray for you.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA

Here's the simplest of all questions ...

Why would someone join a "Christian" church which obviously teaches
doctrine that is opposed to what the Bible teaches?
(I.E. Are you interested in "man's doctrine" or Bible doctrine?)

Also, I was shocked a few years ago to hear that many simple ordinary
people distinguish between Christianity and Catholicism.

Amazing Grace

Mar 21, 2011

Well first I see you are in Sunny Old England.

I feel for you that you cannot know or see the difference between the Anglican Churches Teaching and that of the Roman Catholic Church.

I was raised in a mixture of Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy. I came out of that to learn what the Bible actually teaches. Now I still have family who remain in these Churches despite having their salvation truly grounded in having repented and received the Saving Blood of Christ for the forgiveness of their sins and reconciliation with God.

However the traditions and other teachings of these Church Denominations are not fully based on Christ NOR do they support what the Bible reveals to us as God's Truth and then there is all the religious superstitions and stories that are all intermingled in their Faith often confusing those of my family who are trying to live according to God's Truth.

Feel free to enter the Catholic Faith it won't stop you from being a Saved Believer if your salvation is truly grounded in Christ Jesus. Personally having to follow all the traditions and observe all the religious rituals were nothing but a bondage. Just like the Circumsion group did to the gentiles. The Apostles agreed that gentiles only needed to observe the following:-

AC 15:19 "It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. 21 For Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath."

The Apostle Paul had this to say about those who were trying to make gentiles try to gain salvation through following laws instead of remaining Saved in Christ:-

GAL 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

GAL 5:2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

GAL 5:7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9 "A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough." 10 I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be. 11 Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

The whole book of Galatians is worth a read before you decide to go and become the member of a Christian Denomination that values the observance of it's own religious teachings and Church traditions over the Gospel of Salvation. I know I was raised in that Church and I have left but my family remain and I often return to these Churches for many family events and just to go to Church on the odd occassion with my family (they then might come with me to a Good Bible Teaching Protestant Church in return).

However I see your problem is that you enjoy thye pomp and ceremony of what I call High Church. So maybe Bible teaching isn't your priority. You mention you prefer the traditions. You will like the Eastern Orthodox they have more elaborate Priestly garments and the golden censors. We have the big ornate decorated in gold and red velvet Bibles that the Priest reads about two lines of scripture from if you are lucky. Then there is all the bowing and crossing oneself at the appropraite times. This is done every Sunday rather than just only on the special occassion when the Catholic Church pulls out their finests garments and all the accessories.

Of course there is the Holy Water. Where would my family be without our Holy Water? They don't have a clue what the Holy Water is but they have to go to Church on the special feast days that the Holy Water is permissable to be given to the congregation members to take home.

They use the Holy Water on the dead. We have coffins open traditionally in the Eastern Orthrodox funerals and I haven't seen one of my relatives of family friends come back to life after they have poured the Holy Water on them. Apparently it is supposed to heal you but all these people died applying the Holy Water in Faith that what the Church told them was True. I know a few of them died know Jesus as their Lord and Saviour but not because the Church brought them the Gospel message. Most of my parents family born just before World War 2 and in a war torn country out in the villages they didn't get an education. So over here in Australia I had to learn to read the Bible in their language to read to them the Gospels. It was my reading the Bible which brought to them the Gospel. I used wanting to practice my reading as an excuse to read them the Bible (Yes I used a Bible as my choice of material). Several of my illiterate family finally heard the full story of Jesus from Birth to Death. I led them to say a salvation prayer when they understood it was by Christ we are Saved.

There are many who can read and write in the Eastern Orthodox Churches today but they are not being taught the Bible as they should instead they are being taught folk tales and religious inspirational stories about Saints. My Catholic family go to Bible Study and they too rarely get any teaching from the Bible instead they read all sorts of relgious books that embrace all faiths not just the Christian Faith.

Even the Protestant churches are no longer teaching God's Truth. You have to be in your Bible daily if you want to know wether or not your Ministers and Pastors are teaching God's Truth or Heresy.

It is a shame that we cannot rely on getting proper Bible teaching from our own Churches.

Fortunately if you have repented and received Christ as Lord and Saviour, Jesus made a promise to all who would receive Him.

JN 14:15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever-- 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

You have been given the Holy Spirit who is able to teach you all things from God's Word. The Holy Spirit is able to give you spiritual discernment and enables you to recognise what is taught from the scriptures as being God's Truth or NOT.