This generation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You shall keep them, O Lord, You shall preserve them from this generation

what is ‘this generation’ the Lord shall preserve and keep them from?

What is ‘this generation’?
What is ‘the generation to come’ .
has ‘the generation to come’ come yet?

Psalm 102:18-23 ‘this shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the Lord.

Psalm 71:17-24 O God forsake me not; until I have shown your strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.

Has ‘this wicked generation’ passed? Matthew 12:44-46 Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

Matthew 23:31-39 You serpents, you generation of vipers …verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation…

Has ‘this adulterous and sinful generation’ passed? Mark 8:38 whosoever will be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation…

Has ‘this evil generation’ passed? Luke 11:28-29 he began to say “this is an evil generation: they seek a sign; there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet…

Has ‘it shall be required of this generation’ passed? Luke 11:48-52 It shall be required of this generation. Woe unto you, lawyers.

Has …he must be rejected of ‘this generation’…passed? Luke 17:25 but first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

Acts 2:39-40 save yourselves from this untoward generation.

has ‘this untoward generation’ passed? If so, then what is there to ‘save yourselves from’?

Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Psalm 102:18-23 ‘this shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the Lord.

Psalm 71:17-24 O God forsake me not; until I have shown your strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.

Has ‘this wicked generation’ passed? Matthew 12:44-46 Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

Matthew 23:31-39 You serpents, you generation of vipers …verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation…

Has ‘this adulterous and sinful generation’ passed? Mark 8:38 whosoever will be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation…

Has ‘this evil generation’ passed? Luke 11:28-29 he began to say “this is an evil generation: they seek a sign; there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet…

Has ‘it shall be required of this generation’ passed? Luke 11:48-52 It shall be required of this generation. Woe unto you, lawyers.

Has he must suffer many things and be rejected of ‘this generation’ passed? Luke 17:25 but first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

Save yourselves from ‘this untoward generation’ has ‘this untoward generation’ passed? Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

It depends on the context.

In Acts 2, Luke 21, Luke 17, Luke 11, Matthew 23, and Matthew 12 the generation has passed. Mark 8 I would say has passed also but still has current application, in that it is a sin to deny the Lord.

The Psalms as usual have a spiritual application to us, but also many others including those who wrote it.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is ‘the generation to come’ . has ‘the generation to come’ come yet?
In the New Testament, "this generation" was the generation of unbelieving Jews who refused to acknowledge Christ as Lord and Savior. That was a generation of vipers. The "generation to come" will be a believing remnant. As far as the Psalms are concerned they are addressed to the generation reading them (which would now include us).

But when Jesus said "this generation shall not pass away" He was speaking of the nation of Israel, since the word "genea" can be translated as "nation" also. We know that Israel was dispersed from Judea in 70 AD. And until 1948 no one dreamed that there would ever again be the nation of Israel. But the prophecy of Christ was fulfilled, and Israel has continued to exist in spite of being surrounded by bitter enemies. So when Christ returns He will come to the Mount of Olives, which will split in two. Then He will deliver Israel from its enemies and confront all the Jews for their unbelief.

Reactions: marks

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

These are very good questions. In the Old testament, H:1755 is often translated as "generation," and in our idiom we tend to think of a generation as a "descendant generation," which is far from the truth.

In Genesis 15:16 I find that it is best paraphrased in this manner: -

16 But in the fourth generation/age they shall return here, for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet complete.

In this one verse prophecy, God tells Abraham that his descendants will return to the land of Canaan during the fourth age of their existence. The starting point for this prophecy is the birth of Isaac, which occurred in the year 2052 BC, at the very start of the third age, after the passing of the first two ages of mankind. Now 1948 is regarded as the year in which the descendants of Abraham returned to the Land of Canaan, such that 4,000 years separated the return of Abraham's descendants to the Land of Canaan from the time of Isaac's birth, which is just under the time span for four ages. The period for 4 ages is around 4,100 years duration.

Another four generation/age prophecy that is applicable to Israel is found in Exodus 20:4-6, though the word "generation" is missing from the Hebrew text, but Strong in his definitions for the Hebrew Root words suggests that "generations" is embedded in meaning of the Hebrew words that are both translated as the third and the four {generation}. The second commandment reads like this: -

4 "You shall not make for yourself a carved image — any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations/ages of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
If one checks the LXX for Genesis 15:16 as to what Greek word was translated for H:1755, we find the Greek word, "genea," G:1074, has been used. So in Matthew 24:34, where it has been translated as "generation", the reality is that it is speaking of an "age." In this verse Jesus is stating that all of the things that have been prophesised to happen during the End Time, the last "age" will not end until all of the prophecies have been fulfilled.

A study of the Hebrew words with the embedded Hebrew root word H:1755 is very enlightening. We must also be weary of the translations where the time span for when "dowr wadowr" is translated as "many generation," which is claimed to be a "technical translation," when paired with their translation of "forever," H:5769, because it changes both of these word into a infinite context rather that the finite time span that it is describing.

Perhaps this is a good place to stop this post for the time being as there is a lot of information to digest for people who have not considered this topic of "generations."

Shalom

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"generation," and in our idiom we tend to think of a generation as a "descendant generation," which is far from the truth.

If one checks the LXX for Genesis 15:16 as to what Greek word was translated for H:1755, we find the Greek word, "genea," G:1074, has been used. So in Matthew 24:34, where it has been translated as "generation", the reality is that it is speaking of an "age." In this verse Jesus is stating that all of the things that have been prophesised to happen during the End Time, the last "age" will not end until all of the prophecies have been fulfilled.

A study of the Hebrew words with the embedded Hebrew root word H:1755 is very enlightening. We must also be weary of the translations where the time span for when "dowr wadowr" is translated as "many generation," which is claimed to be a "technical translation," when paired with their translation of "forever," H:5769, because it changes both of these word into a infinite context rather that the finite time span that it is describing.

Perhaps this is a good place to stop this post for the time being as there is a lot of information to digest for people who have not considered this topic of "generations."

You said: “generation," and in our idiom we tend to think of a generation as a "descendant generation," which is far from the truth.”

if I understand you even I little there, I would say I do not disagree. When I think of ‘this age’ or ‘that age’ I think of “wherefore I was grieved with ‘that generation, and said, They do err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.’

If this age of: wherefore I (the Lord) was grieved with ‘that age’ has passed away; then why the warning of ‘grieve not the Holy Spirit, whereby you are sealed unto the day of redemption.’ In Ephesians 4:3?

When I think of ‘this age’ and ‘the age to come’ I think of Romans 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, (this age) who is the figure of him that was to come. (The age to come).

Just sharing thoughts and in no way saying it is correct. But considering the above, it almost sounds like: after the similitude of Adam’s transgression this age will not pass away until all these things come upon this generation (after the similitude of Adams transgression), being required upon that age the Spirit of God being grieved by ‘they do err in their hearts, they have known my ways’’, all these things must come upon that age ‘all made guilty after the similitude of Adams transgression, whereby by one mans sin all were made guilty…and ‘this age’ will not end until all is fulfilled upon that age, who is a figure of him that was to come. Romans 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Luke 20:34-35 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world (Age) marry, and are given in marriage: [35] But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that (Age) world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

Luke 16:8 Lexicon: "And his master praised the unrighteous manager because he had acted shrewdly; for the sons of this age are more shrewd in relation to their own kind than the sons of light.

I understand the debate over ‘chosen’ and it was to the Jew only but it is also for our example to not have an hardened heart? 1 Peter 2:9-10 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: [10] Which in time past (the age past) were not a people,(God has chosen the foolish things of this age to confound the wise of this age, He chose the weak things, the base things, to bring to pass the things which are) but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Genos: family, offspring, Race, nation, kind
“Kin”

however this “kind” goes not out but by (Matthew 17:21), (Mark 9:29)

“kindred”
As we are the “offspring of God”

But you are a chosen Race
In Him for we live and move and are as also some of the among you poets have said, of Him for also offspring we are.

In thinking further on ‘this age’ where the children of ‘this age’ are wiser that the children of light, he that was to come. And all these things must come upon this age…
But God has chosen the foolish things of ‘this Age’ to confound the wise(wiser in their age); and God has chosen the weak things of ‘this Age’ to confound the things which are mighty; [28] And base things of ‘this age’ , and things which are despised, has God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to ‘an end’ things that are: [29] That no flesh should glory in his presence. [30] But of him are you in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: [31] That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You said: “generation," and in our idiom we tend to think of a generation as a "descendant generation," which is far from the truth.”

if I understand you even I little there, I would say I do not disagree. When I think of ‘this age’ or ‘that age’ I think of “wherefore I was grieved with ‘that generation, and said, They do err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.’

If this age of: wherefore I (the Lord) was grieved with ‘that age’ has passed away; then why the warning of ‘grieve not the Holy Spirit, whereby you are sealed unto the day of redemption.’ In Ephesians 4:3?

When I think of ‘this age’ and ‘the age to come’ I think of Romans 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, (this age) who is the figure of him that was to come. (The age to come).

Just sharing thoughts and in no way saying it is correct. But considering the above, it almost sounds like: after the similitude of Adam’s transgression this age will not pass away until all these things come upon this generation (after the similitude of Adams transgression), being required upon that age the Spirit of God being grieved by ‘they do err in their hearts, they have known my ways’’, all these things must come upon that age ‘all made guilty after the similitude of Adams transgression, whereby by one mans sin all were made guilty…and ‘this age’ will not end until all is fulfilled upon that age, who is a figure of him that was to come. Romans 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Luke 20:34-35 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world (Age) marry, and are given in marriage: [35] But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that (Age) world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

Luke 16:8 Lexicon: "And his master praised the unrighteous manager because he had acted shrewdly; for the sons of this age are more shrewd in relation to their own kind than the sons of light.

I understand the debate over ‘chosen’ and it was to the Jew only but it is also for our example to not have an hardened heart? 1 Peter 2:9-10 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: [10] Which in time past (the age past) were not a people,(God has chosen the foolish things of this age to confound the wise of this age, He chose the weak things, the base things, to bring to pass the things which are) but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Genos: family, offspring, Race, nation, kind
“Kin”

however this “kind” goes not out but by (Matthew 17:21), (Mark 9:29)

“kindred”
As we are the “offspring of God”

But you are a chosen Race
In Him for we live and move and are as also some of the among you poets have said, of Him for also offspring we are.

In thinking further on ‘this age’ where the children of ‘this age’ are wiser that the children of light, he that was to come. And all these things must come upon this age…
But God has chosen the foolish things of ‘this Age’ to confound the wise(wiser in their age); and God has chosen the weak things of ‘this Age’ to confound the things which are mighty; [28] And base things of ‘this age’ , and things which are despised, has God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to ‘an end’ things that are: [29] That no flesh should glory in his presence. [30] But of him are you in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: [31] That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

I agree that coming to the right understanding of the scriptures requires much work on our part and often runs contrary to the "accepted traditions" of past "supposed/assumed" scholarship. Seeking God's truth and understanding can often be a lonely and troubled pathway to travel, when we seek out God's truth in all things.

Shalom

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seeking God's truth and understanding can often be a lonely and troubled pathway to travel, when we seek out God's truth in all things.

you said it can often be lonely. Should it be, lonely, I mean? A separation from others? I can relate to what you said. I really can relate being an introvert. but as I was driving yesterday I thinking on all the hours I’m alone reading the word and wondering if that is the way it should be. Because a lot of the word speaks of fellowship, a body, a coming together with others. Consider in Genesis all the times and the Lord saw…and said ‘it is good’ except for:
‘And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.’ Genesis 2:18

Ecclesiastes 4:8-12 There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; neither saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good? This is also vanity, yea, it is a sore travail. [9] Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. [10] For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. [11] Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone ? [12] And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends on the context.

In Acts 2, Luke 21, Luke 17, Luke 11, Matthew 23, and Matthew 12 the generation has passed. Mark 8 I would say has passed also but still has current application, in that it is a sin to deny the Lord.

The Psalms as usual have a spiritual application to us, but also many others including those who wrote it.

Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

are they similar?
How do you define ‘old things are passed away’ or ‘passing’?

Or how do you define ‘pass away’ in ‘this generation shall not pass away, til all be fulfilled.’?

Or the ‘passes away’ in 1 Corinthians 7:31 And they that use this world, as not abusing it : for the fashion of this world (Age)passes away.

Or ‘because darkness is past’ ‘passing away’ …yet ‘he who hates his brother, is in darkness even until now?’
1 John 2:8-9

‘this generation’
‘Darkness’ …?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you said it can often be lonely. Should it be, lonely, I mean? A separation from others? I can relate to what you said. I really can relate being an introvert. but as I was driving yesterday I thinking on all the hours I’m alone reading the word and wondering if that is the way it should be. Because a lot of the word speaks of fellowship, a body, a coming together with others. Consider in Genesis all the times and the Lord saw…and said ‘it is good’ except for:
‘And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.’ Genesis 2:18

Ecclesiastes 4:8-12 There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; neither saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good? This is also vanity, yea, it is a sore travail. [9] Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. [10] For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. [11] Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone ? [12] And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
No, God doesn't want us to be lonely, but sometimes it seems like we have been deserted by everyone and we walk all alone here:

"Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life." Rom 11:3

But then hear the Word of God:

"But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal." Rom 11:4

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Loneliness is often not the choice of the people who study the word so that they gain understanding. Loneliness come because others reject what we have discerned and understood from the Lord. They do not want to hear what we have to say because the Lord often shows us that we need to be repentant for the sins we continually do by choice, rather than turn towards the Lord and His Love.

As someone has said, if we have the Lord on our side, even those who are only one person, the battle is still won.

Shalom

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Has …he must be rejected of ‘this generation’…passed? Luke 17:25 but first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

has ‘this untoward generation’ passed? If so, then what is there to ‘save yourselves from’?

For me the critical generation here is the last one you posted, we are near the end of that one maam. Not really looking forward to the great tribulation that he spoke of, but definitely what comes afterward, that will make it all worthwhile.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For me the critical generation here is the last one you posted, we are near the end of that one maam. Not really looking forward to the great tribulation that he spoke of, but definitely what comes afterward, that will make it all worthwhile.

Robert, if you are saying that we are approaching the end of the seventh age, then you have missed what Christ was saying, as we have not yet reached the end of the sixth age, which we are presently in.

Shalom

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Robert, if you are saying that we are approaching the end of the seventh age, then you have missed what Christ was saying, as we have not yet reached the end of the sixth age, which we are presently in.

Shalom

My language is different from yours Jay, I know nothing about "seventh age". Jehovah's witnesses believe we are in the 7th day listed at the beginning of the Bible, the rest day. We believe this is still the sabbath day period of God's rest. There will be at least another thousand years of this day. Are you referring to the creative days sir?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My language is different from yours Jay, I know nothing about "seventh age". Jehovah's witnesses believe we are in the 7th day listed at the beginning of the Bible, the rest day. We believe this is still the sabbath day period of God's rest. There will be at least another thousand years of this day. Are you referring to the creative days sir?

So what you are saying is that the Jehovah's Witnesses' understanding is wanting and as such a Jehovah Witness reading what I post will be confused as it is not in line with what the JW theology claims.

Oh well each to their own then

Shalom

Pythagorean12

Oct 8, 2021
Laurel
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's likened to the same bible quandary related to the second coming of Christ .

Jesus said that current generation (this generation) will not pass away before the second coming.

Which seems to be why some believe the destruction of the temple in 70a.d was the sign of the tribulation, not yet the great tribulation, starting. Because that second coming is thought to have been fulfilled at his resurrection. He came to life in the world a second time.
And those passages that say he'll be seen in the clouds was actually meant to convey what occured at his ascension back to the kingdom of Heaven.

Making now what is the unfolding of the scrolls curses, and the like as prescribed in Revelation.

Everyone has their opinion of course. One thing that's interesting is the world hasn't gotten better for the 2000+ years of Christ teachings being in the world.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what you are saying is that the Jehovah's Witnesses' understanding is wanting and as such a Jehovah Witness reading what I post will be confused as it is not in line with what the JW theology claims.

Oh well each to their own then

Shalom

I am completely ignorant of any "seventh age" taught in JW theology. Perhaps you can quote the publication and I will be glad to address it Jay.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I’m not sure what my view is on a coming ‘great tribulation’ as is usually proposed, because Joel 2:1 speaks of ‘TO many generations’
Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble, For the day of the LORD is coming (to come in) surely it is near.

A day of darkness and gloom
A day of clouds and thick darkness.
As dawn is spread over the mountains, [So] there is a great people; There has never been [anything] like it, Nor Will there be again after it To the years of many generations.

for the sake of conversation, to me the above speaks of as: a Tribulation like never before and will ever be again IN [So] there is a great and mighty people, There has never been [anything] like it, NOR will there be again after it To the years of many generations.

TO the years of many generations…seems to to not be saying upon a single generation in a far out small window of a time period, but To the years of many generations. Could say upon a perverse generation, a wicked generation as all are counted as under sin through Adam.

to me it is speaking of a people that gather, in other places He mentions they gather ‘to battle’ but not by Me. (Isaiah 54:14-17)Behold, they shall surely gather together, but not by me: whosoever shall gather together against thee shall fall for thy sake.

As in ‘He that gathers not with Me, is against Me.’ In Joel He tells of a so great and mighty people —behind them a desolate wilderness (devastation, waste) where nothing at all escapes. Yet in the NT He says He provides an way of escape. This great and mighty people —great tribulation—like has never been nor will ever be again…Like the crackling of a flame of fire consuming the stubble, like a mighty people arranged unto battle To the years of many generations

before them the people are in anguish. they run, climb, they enter through the windows like a thief. 2 Timothy 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

“YET even now” declares the LORD(in Joel) “Return to Me” with all your heart, with fast, weeping and mourning (a wailing) (James 4:8-10.

Speaking of a great and mighty people like never before and will never be again, same as a great tribulation ‘like never before nor will be again’ To many generations… what of ‘they came (snuck, crept) in unawares among the brethren? With Watch so that day, coming a thief does not catch you unaware? Or caught off guard? For ‘It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. [32] But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions; [33] Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used. [34] For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.’ Hebrews 10:31-34

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
TO the years of many generations…seems to to not be saying upon a single generation in a far out small window of a time period, but To the years of many generations. Could say upon a perverse generation, a wicked generation as all are counted as under sin through Adam.

but To the years of many generations…Joel speaks of a devastation, waste, a desolate wilderness behind this great people like has never been seen before and will never be again. Consider He said the thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy …BUT I come that they may have life. Isaiah 58:12 And they that shall be of thee (be of who? Christ? The one who restores paths, the repairer of the breach…what breach of not the breach between the people?) shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

Just an opinion but consider ‘To the years of many generations’ of this so great a mighty people as a thief comes with devastation…
To the years of many generations
Where none escapes 2 Peter 2:18-19 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. [19] While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

Yet
thou shalt raise up (lift up) the foundations of many generations

thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.
(In He said “I came that they may have life”?)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I’m not sure what my view is on a coming ‘great tribulation’ as is usually proposed, because Joel 2:1 speaks of ‘TO many generations’
Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble, For the day of the LORD is coming (to come in) surely it is near.

A day of darkness and gloom
A day of clouds and thick darkness.
As dawn is spread over the mountains, [So] there is a great people; There has never been [anything] like it, Nor Will there be again after it To the years of many generations.

for the sake of conversation, to me the above speaks of as: a Tribulation like never before and will ever be again IN [So] there is a great and mighty people, There has never been [anything] like it, NOR will there be again after it To the years of many generations.

but To the years of many generations…Joel speaks of a devastation, waste, a desolate wilderness behind this great people like has never been seen before and will never be again. Consider He said the thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy …BUT I come that they may have life. Isaiah 58:12 And they that shall be of thee (be of who? Christ? The one who restores paths, the repairer of the breach…what breach of not the breach between the people?) shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

VIJ,

Can I suggest that you are trying to make sense out of a bad "technical" translation which hides the time period being spoken of from our comprehension. The Hebrew Interlinear in both cases state the same thing with respect to the time period of "two ages," i.e. a period of 2 x one thousand plus years. Below is the Hebrew Interlinear for both the Joel and Isaiah passages that you have referenced in the above two posts: -

Joel 2:2: -

upload_2021-11-1_5-58-18.png

Which I would paraphrase as: -

2 A day of darkness and gloominess,
A day of clouds and thick darkness,
Like the morning {clouds} spread over the mountains,
A people come, great and strong,
The like of whom has never been;[1]
Nor will there ever be any such after them,
Even for many successive generations/Neither will it be repeated until the passage of two ages has past.​

[1] A word for word translation would possibly read: - “The likes of which has not been for a time beyond remembrance;”.

and

Isaiah 58:12: -

upload_2021-11-1_6-2-28.png

Which I would paraphrase as: -

12 Those from among you
Shall build the old waste places;
You shall raise up the foundations of many generations/two ages;
And you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach,
The Restorer of Streets to Dwell In.

Isaiah also repeated this in: -

Isaiah 61:4

4 And they shall rebuild the old ruins,
They shall raise up the former desolations,
And they shall repair the ruined cities,
The desolations of many generations/two ages.​

Looking back over the history of the past 2 x 1000 plus years we can now see and understand the scriptural passages where the Hebrew words "dowr waadowr" has been used in the Hebrew text as "two ages."

I trust that this helps.

Shalom

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The key to understanding what Jesus meant by “this generation will not pass away until all these things take place” is the context; that is, we must understand the verses that are surrounding Matthew 24:34, especially the verses prior to it. In Matthew 24:4–31, Jesus is clearly giving a prophecy; He is speaking of future events. Jesus had already told those living during His earthly ministry that the kingdom had been taken from them (Matthew 21:43). Therefore, it is imperative that Matthew 24–25 be seen as dealing with a future time. The generation that Jesus speaks of “not passing” until He returns is a future generation, namely, the people living when the predicted events occur. The word generation refers to the people alive in the future when the events of Matthew 24–25 take place.

Jesus’ point in His statement, “this generation will not pass away until all these things take place,” is that the events of the end times will happen quickly. Once the signs of the end begin to be observed, the end is well on the way—the second coming and the judgment will occur within that last generation. Jesus reinforced this meaning with a parable in Matthew 24:32–33: “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door.” A sure sign of summer is the leafing of the fig tree; a sure sign of the end of the world is that “all these things” (of Matthew 24) are taking place. Those who are on the earth then will have only a short time left.

Taken from gotquestions.org