What about the 7 churches of Revelation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Some of my observations:

First , notice the letters are written To the angel of each church

To the angel of the church in Ephesus
To the angel of the church in Smyrna
To the angel of the church in Pergamum
To the angel of the church in Thyatira
To the angel of the church in Sardis
To the angel of the church in Philadelphia
To the angel of the church in Laodicea

Interesting are the additional references earlier in Rev 1:20[sup] [/sup] regarding angels - stars - churches etc.

The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and of the seven golden lampstands is this: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, gentlemen.

Now, add to that that the definitions for these words:

To the messenger of the called-out group in Ephesus
To the messenger of the called-out group in Smyrna
To the messenger of the called-out group in Pergamum
To the messenger of the called-out group in Thyatira
To the messenger of the called-out group in Sardis
To the messenger of the called-out group in Philadelphia
To the messenger of the called-out group in Laodicea

Also, one would do well to remember that these towns were literal villages just across the water from the Isle of Patmos on the mainland of Asia Minor, now known as Turkey. Furthermore, if you would look at the locations of these villages (or their ruins) within Turkey, you will find that they, in the order in which they are listed in Rev. 2 & 3, lie upon a semi-circular route from the beach closest to the crossing to Patmos to a direction heading back toward the east, back toward Jerusalem, by a land route.

These messages were to the leaders of these groups of people IN THE FIRST CENTURY and nothing more! They are not "figurative" or "representing" anything more!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Christ's seven Messages to the seven Churches are IN EFFECT still today, for ALL Churches on earth.

The false Jews especially, do NOT want you to understand them, especially Christ's Messages to the two Churches of Smyrna and Philadelphia which declares false Jews as the "synagogue of Satan". Only those two Churches of Smyrna and Philadelphia Christ has NO problem with. The other five Churches He had a rebuke for them. So which Churches do you think that reveals we should be interested in following? Those of two of Smyrna and Philadelphia of course.

Thus the main purpose of those seven Messages for today is to help you recognize what KIND of Church you're in.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, veteran.

Christ's seven Messages to the seven Churches are IN EFFECT still today, for ALL Churches on earth.

The false Jews especially, do NOT want you to understand them, especially Christ's Messages to the two Churches of Smyrna and Philadelphia which declares false Jews as the "synagogue of Satan". Only those two Churches of Smyrna and Philadelphia Christ has NO problem with. The other five Churches He had a rebuke for them. So which Churches do you think that reveals we should be interested in following? Those of two of Smyrna and Philadelphia of course.

Thus the main purpose of those seven Messages for today is to help you recognize what KIND of Church you're in.

Only in a very GENERAL way could one's "church" today be compared to one of these seven. Each of these called-out assemblies were given VERY specific praises, promises, warnings and instructions that do NOT carry over to today's "churches." Furthermore, there are some "churches" today that do not fit well into ANY ONE of the seven. They MIGHT fit into a conglomeration of two or more of these seven, but not just one. Sure, they were given for all to read so that we can learn from the triumphs and mistakes of others, but they were NOT written specifically or directly to US!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Each of these called-out assemblies were given VERY specific praises, promises, warnings and instructions that do NOT carry over to today's "churches."

Might ought to read them again, for most of them contain prophecy related to the time of the very end of this world.

Rev 2:7
7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
(KJV)

Or maybe you think that "tree of life" and Christ's command for us to be overcomers doesn't apply to us today???

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, veteran.

Might ought to read them again, for most of them contain prophecy related to the time of the very end of this world.

Rev 2:7
7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
(KJV)

Or maybe you think that "tree of life" and Christ's command for us to be overcomers doesn't apply to us today???

You need to pay attention to what I wrote, brother. I said, "Sure, they were given for all to read so that we can learn from the triumphs and mistakes of others, but they were NOT written specifically or directly to US!" Of course this is about the future. I never said it wasn't. What I said was that these verses were not written TO US! That doesn't mean that we can't glean important information about the future from what Yeshua` said to each of them! It's the same in some of the prophecies of the Tanakh. Some prophecies, such as those of Yirmeyahu (Jeremiah) and Yonah (Jonah) are even FULFILLED or MOSTLY FULFILLED prophecies, but even in them we can learn things about the character of God or about the future!

The letter to the messenger of the congregation at Ephesus was written TO HIM and his congregation! It was NOT written to any of us! However, because it was written down and preserved even until today, we can "look over their shoulders," so to speak, and see what was written to them. We can learn from their promises, and we can ASSUME that they will also apply to us; however, these words, from Revelation 2:1 to Revelation 2:7, were written "unto the angel of the church of Ephesus!" And, the ONLY way that we can assume that these words apply to us is to GENERALIZE what Revelation 2:7 said to include us, as well! But, to whom was the verse written? Is it right to ASSUME that they may apply to us as well? Is it right to GENERALIZE that we, too, can be such "overcomers?" Where is the mandate in Scripture that we have the liberty or the right or the duty to do either one? And, what was it that Yeshua` said they had "overcome?" Can we "overcome" the same thing? Is this indeed a command for US to "overcome?" And, if so, WHAT are WE to "overcome?"

Let's look at these seven verses:

Revelation 2:1-7
1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
KJV

So, what was this congregation to "overcome?" Did you know that the Greek word so translated fits best with the term "Nicolaitans" in verse 6?

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
You need to pay attention to what I wrote, brother. I said, "Sure, they were given for all to read so that we can learn from the triumphs and mistakes of others, but they were NOT written specifically or directly to US!"

Admitted that many, many brethren have a difficult time understanding how God's Word uses past historical events as patterns for future prophecy. I even believe you and I had a discussion once about prophetic 'patterns' once, which is about what Paul called "ensamples" in 1 Cor.11.

Since you already appear to have your mind made up about what those seven Messages serve for us today, then I won't go into the prophetic pointers contained within them which are for US TODAY DIRECTLY, all the way to the end when our Lord Jesus Christ returns.

But for others who might... be interested in discovering what our Lord Jesus gave within those Messages, it's a simple task to learn what parts apply to US today prophetically. All one need do is distinguish the parts He said to those seven Churches which was not fulfilled in their days, because those things STILL very much apply to us today.

Well, one example I'll mention. If there is any Church on earth with the possibility of having the same kind of problems 5 of those seven Churches had in John's day, then that Message Christ gave them STILL APPLIES today for that KIND of Church.