What Biblical basis did the Filipino Christians use in voting for our president?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

perplexed

Aug 17, 2016
I am from the Philippines. We just had our presidential election held last May 9. We have 5 presidential candidates. Out of the 45 millions who voted, 16 million voted for President Duterte which make him win by plurality. Solving drug related problems and fighting criminality were some of his promises. I didn't vote for him because he has a very dirty mouth. He loves to curse even in front of many children. He is also closely associated to Pastor Quiboloy who claims to be the appointed Son of God. Starting last May even before his term began, there were already poor drug suspects being killed, extra judicial killings. I know of some Christians even a pastor and his wife who voted for him despite the reasons I've mentioned here. I can accept the fact that it is God's will that Duterte became our president. But I can't understand why some Christians voted for him. I wonder if you can give me some Biblical basis for their choice. Thank you for your time.
Excerpt from a link which I won’t post due to profanity.
Rodrigo Duterte, who was sworn in as Philippine president on Thursday, is known for an acid tongue.On the campaign trail he made international headlines with inflammatory statements such as calling Pope Francis a ______ and joking about wanting to rape an Australian missionary woman who was killed in a Davao prison riot.
After winning last month's elections in a landslide, the former mayor of the southern city of Davao has continued to make provocative, foul-mouthed statements.
Pardons for killer cops -
"It's a very simple sentence in the constitution, which says the president has the power to pardon a criminal offender. If I tell someone, kill them (criminals) and they say 'but sir, I will be charged,' I just (answer)... get a carbon copy of the (pardon) paper and I will sign it. If the lawyer objects, even the lawyer, you kill him."
(Duterte has said thousands of criminals will die in his war on crime. Here he is offering an assurance to police concerned his shoot-to-kill orders may be illegal.)
  • Inciting public to join killing spree - "If they are there in your neighbourhood, feel free to call us, the police or do it yourself if you have the gun. You have my support. If he fights and fights to the death, you can kill him. I will give you a medal." (Duterte calling on ordinary Filipinos to also kill suspected criminals)
  • Military snipers to kill criminals - "I need the military to pitch (in the anti-drug campaign). I need military officers who are sharp-shooters and snipers. It's true. If you (criminals) fight, I will have a sniper shoot you." (Duterte telling reporters he will use military snipers to kill criminals. He later said he would employ machine-gunners as well.)
Here's a link of what's happening to our country right now.
http://www.filipinoscribe.com/2016/08/04/new-york-times-duterte-war-on-drugs/

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
From what we hear over here, Duterte seems to be a really horrible man. As Christians we know not to fight evil with evil. You can’t fight crime by becoming criminal yourself and by openly declaring “I do not care about human rights”.
You’ll be in my prayers.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
At least Duterte speaks the truth and follows through on his promises...that is very good..unlike the mealy mouthed politicians of western countries which lie, lie, and more lies..and let their countries slide into anarchy without actually fighting the drug problem, and crime in general.
Mr Duterte is following his promises by action to clean up the mess and make like better for the honest, law abiding people of his country..God bless him.